This replaced a similar old inexpensive Braun made-in-Germany shaver that lasted for many years. The old shaver replaced a series of more-expensive rechargeable shavers that failed early.

I bought the Smart Control shaver, even though it is made in China, because I will no longer buy rechargeable shavers.

A minor problem with the Smart Control shaver...
Published 17 months ago by Daniel Kamman

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your money
Published 12 months ago by Ken and Carolyn

4.0 out of 5 stars Has problems, but worth it to me to avoid rechargeable problems, July 23, 2013
This review is from: Braun Smart Control 130s-1 Shaver 1 Count (Health and Beauty)

A minor problem with the Smart Control shaver is the cord popping out of the shaver, typically 1 or 2 times per shave. The old Braun had this problem occasionally, but not nearly as often as with the Smart Control shaver.

A bigger problem with the Smart Control shaver is that it takes me at least 5 passes to get a good shave (but that shave is better than the shave with the old Braun). If not for this problem, I would give the shaver 5 stars. I'm willing to put up with this problem to avoid the cost of replacing rechargeable shavers.

A good feature of the the Smart Control shaver is that the shaved hair stays in the shaver (the old Braun leaked shaved hair even when it was new).

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your money, December 9, 2013
My old Braun 105 was getting old and starting to fall apart so I needed to replace it with a newer shaver. I don't like rechargeables because they just don't have the power to get a close shave. When you push firmly against your face they bog down and go slower. From my experience the corded models don't have this fault, you push hard and they just shave closer. So, I was hoping this would do as a replacement. After all, it's a Braun just like my old 105. So disappointed! It has a very weak motor to begin with. For some reason it also doesn't shave your beard. You go over and over the same spot and you still feel a 5:00 shadow. If you try to push harder to get closer the head pops off. WTF?
The good news is I only wasted $30. The bad news it I wasted $30. Braun should feel ashamed for selling such a lame product. I've used their shavers for more than 20 years. Can't they just sell a simple corded shaver that shaves close and has the power to do the job, like they did so many times in the past?

1.0 out of 5 stars Tiny motor - don't bother, June 5, 2013
I bought this shaver because it was electric-only. I hate that shaver mfgrs only have rechargeable shavers now: the batteries always die and I have to throw away the shaver and get a new one. So I was hoping this would be my last shaver for a while.

Unfortunately, the motor is so tiny on this unit, it practically stops while shaving. You have to either shave very slowly, or go over the same place 5+ times to get a decent shave. And even then, I had to go over it with a razor afterward to get a good shave.

I returned this shaver and am switching to cheap razors.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Foil Shaver, May 1, 2013
I just posted the following review on a Remington MS2-100 page....

I bought the mS2-100 after an older micro-screen needed new heads that cost more than the $19.95 clearance sale price at Big Lots,(I believe). I loved this shaver and there was no battery to run down while shaving or to go bad incl the ones in so called Corded-Cordless ones. When the heads needed replacing on it I got the SP69 kit and neither I nor my son could insert the screen without deforming it so I returned it. I have used mainly Remington Shavers since the early 60's when I got a RollaMatic which I still have in it's nice hard case. Now Remington offers numerous rechargeable versions which I won't buy since I never had one that I liked but no corded only version.After all the remingtons I have had, I feel betrayed. Norelco still offers a corded shaver but doesn't shave as close or as fast as a micro-screen. Recently,I picked up a Braun 130-S (corded only) for just $29.95 and it shaves just as good and no stubble leaks out on the sink or my chest!!!

THANKS FOR NOTHING REMINGTON and thank you Braun for a much needed OVERDUE product!

Update 8/7/13:

Sorry for the late update. The shaver worked well for about 3-4 weeks then got slower and slower and the shave became worse. Maybe it had bad Screen/Cutter as it seemed to have slowly gotten dull so I returned it for a refund. Very disappointed.

As a result I think the 130S should be rated 3-1/2 stars but could not find a way
to change the original rating.

I finally got the SP-69 Foil and Cutter replaced properly and the good ole MS2-100 is back in business!

Maybe someday a mfr will fill this void. At least Braun tried; unlike you know who!!

2.0 out of 5 stars Great shaver if you don't have a thick beard or thick hair., November 25, 2014
I have used this shaver for 2 weeks straight now-daily (I shave my head, and trim beard/shave neck). I wanted to be as detailed as possible about its advantages and disadvantages.

Personally, I have been super annoyed with the cord, it consistently falls out. I probably plug it in twice, every time I use it.

That said, it is an awesome BEGINNER shaver. It does the bare minimum of what I need. It leaves my head moderately smooth for a shaver. Also, I have never pulled out any hairs, which is a plus as well. I know some cheaper beginner shavers, pull out hairs sometimes.

The trick to this trimmer is to not push too hard.

It takes me a long time with this to shave my head, as opposed to a traditional razor, but it definitely does work. It gets relatively close to the skin without irritation.

I love the washable feature though. It is nice and helpful, even though most shavers have a washable feature.

In all, I would not get another one. It works, but I would rather spend a few more dollars on one that is made to handle tasks like my beard a little better. (I have a nice thick beard)

If this is for a 14 year old who is growing a few whiskers on his chin, buy it for him.

If you're older than 20 and growing full beards, leave this one for others. Not worth the money.

Also, I received this item from a promotion from the brand.

1.0 out of 5 stars This must be Braun's version of trolling, August 8, 2013
I bought this to replace my Wal Mart brand electric shaver. I was hesitant to pay even the $30 for this, the cheapest of Braun shavers, but I figured brand name must be worth it. boy was I wrong. Once I tried using this thing for about a month I figured this had to be Braun playing a joke on us- that maybe they are sending the real razor soon to my house. This thing is not capable of shaving even, due to it's horrible design. It is basically a plastic screen with unsharpened plastic blades on the inside that move back and forth against the screen. it won't cut the hair on your face, but every now and then if you are lucky it will pull some of the hair out for you. If I could get my money back I would. Since I can't, I will never buy from this company again. Even your cheapest product should be functional; selling something like this shows you want to make a quick buck by ripping people off of their hard earned money for products that don't work.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Value, February 19, 2014
So far so good. The shave is close enough for me. I suppose if you spend more you could get a closer shave. It works well enough for me.

3.0 out of 5 stars Get the Job Done., December 22, 2014
Full Disclosure, I received this product from the manufacturer as part of a test / trial.

My Experience: I have been shaving with a default razor for some time now. So Trying out the electric razor seemed like a good plan since it would help with having to always be re-buying the cartridges for razor.
I opened this thing up and discovered it’s extremely light, which is good if you travel, only bummer is that you do have to plug it in for it to work. It’s not battery operated. When I knew it was being sent to me, I didn’t realize that would be corded. So keep that in mind. Granted, if you look at the price point, I suppose that makes sense. That being said until you use the chord enough, it can be a bit “short” feeling.

So I’ve used it for a wee bit now. It shaves pretty close, though it is not like the razor where you can just do a swipe. Takes a lot of “driving” over the same areas. I found it takes me a wee bit longer to shave with this device, but then again you don’t have to deal with lather and such when getting ready. I will say the sideburn trimmer part is quite convenient.

Overall, it’s not a bad razor. It’s my first electric in over 10 years, and it gets the job done. It does shave and get in pretty close, and the price is quite cheap. Ultimately, I think I’m going to move back to my default razor method. This razor for some reason caused me some issues with little bumps under my chin when I shave which I think occurs because I have to repeatedly go over the area. I guess it’s a bit of personal preference too, I think my default razor gets in closer

Pros: Lightweight, Not Messy, and Easy to Clean
Cons: Takes a bit longer, not battery operated, and I had a reaction to it.

3.0 out of 5 stars GREAT FOR JUNIOR, NOT FOR MOVEMBER FANS, December 4, 2014
I received the Braun 130S Smart Control Shaver from the manufacturer as part of a promotional offer that gives you the opportunity to try the razor and provide honest feedback about your experience. After taking it for quite a few test runs, here’s my rundown on the pros and cons that every man wants to know when purchasing an electric razor:

PROS:

Closeness – (You know, If I shave before work will I look like a beach bum by close of business, or will I still be smooth enough to snuggle up to my lady when I get home?) This thing provided a pretty close shave that did not leave too bad of a 5 o'clock shadow. Not the closest shave I've ever had but good enough to be rated as a pro rather than a con.

Pain Factor: Pulling/Irritation – (Is my face going to win a painful game of tug-o-war or feel like I got slap-chopped by an NFL linebacker, or will this thing deliver a smooth, painless shave without the afterburn?) The product really delivered in this regard. Although it took a few passes I did not experience any pulling or irritation while the razor was on. The only time it pulled was when the cord came out of the end and cut me off mid shave (More on that in the next section).

Cleaning – (Is this thing gona spill stubble all over my sink or travel bag?) Cleaning this thing was a breeze. All you have to do is pop off the cover and run it under the water for a few seconds. Really leaves no stubble to spill out of the screen. Easy Peazy!!

CONS:

Effort/ Time – (Is this thing gona cut the forest in one pass, or am I gona be here a while?) I wasn’t overly impressed by the ability of the shaver to provide a clean shave with minimal effort or time. On average, daily shaving of yesterday’s stubble took about ten minutes and had to pass about 5 -6 times to get a clean shave. I can only imagine that the effort would increase if you missed a shave here or there (lookout Movember).

Power supply - (Is this thing gona get me through several shaves or shut off while clearing the runway?). Although the manual included with the razor says it is a rechargeable (I can only assume its for a different model), it is actually a corded razor so there is no need to worry about losing power unless you are not near an outlet. Normally this would be a pro and not a con, however, the cord does not seat well into the end of the razor and comes out at least once per shave. This causes the razor to pull and was rather annoying.

CONCLUSION:

In all fairness, I had to base my rating on the fact that the razor says that it is a beginner's razor right on the box. If you are just entering the shaving world and do not grow a full beard in a few days, this would be a great starting razor for the price if you can get past the few minor annoyances.

However, if you are a fully grown man (or sasquatch) this is most likely not the razor for you. Save your money and go with an upgrade as this thing will most likely end up in junior's grooming kit in the long run.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for beginners., December 2, 2014
I got this razor through a promotion with Braun and BzzAgent, Overall it is a good beginner razor.
Opening up the product I went through everything and I was impressed that it actually came with oil! I have had many electric razors and none of them have come with the oil that is supposed to be used with the razor to maintain it.

Starting with the "precision trimmer" I found it worked well on my thicker hair. While shaving my face it didn't do very well, keeping in mind my beard grows in pretty thick and it is labeled "Perfect first shaver" on the box, I had my kids try it out.

My son (15) had great results and liked it. It did a good job and was easy for him to use. He didn't like the cord tho, it is a little short and coiled kind of tight so he had to plug it back in a couple of times. Easy for him to take apart and clean too. This is his new razor now.

My daughter (13) laughed a little at the power button when it "clicked" and called it old style. I'm sure this razor is more intended for boys than girls, but I had her use it anyways. It did well on armpits, and ok on her legs but is clearly designed for the flatter surface of a face than the rounded surface of legs.

I like how you can clean this one by rinsing it with water, after a few uses it seems you can never get an electric razor clean with only brushing it, and that it comes with the oil to follow up cleaning it. The razor seems pretty well built also, so I believe it will hold up well to the abuse a teenager will put it through.

Overall, if you are looking for an electric for a beginner to shaving this would be a good choice.

Braun Smart Control 130s-1 Shaver 1 Count