Braun Smart Control 130s-1 Shaver 1 Count
Price:$17.49 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

Verified Purchase
This replaced a similar old inexpensive Braun made-in-Germany shaver that lasted for many years. The old shaver replaced a series of more-expensive rechargeable shavers that failed early.

I bought the Smart Control shaver, even though it is made in China, because I will no longer buy rechargeable shavers.

A minor problem with the Smart Control shaver is the cord popping out of the shaver, typically 1 or 2 times per shave. The old Braun had this problem occasionally, but not nearly as often as with the Smart Control shaver.

A bigger problem with the Smart Control shaver is that it takes me at least 5 passes to get a good shave (but that shave is better than the shave with the old Braun). If not for this problem, I would give the shaver 5 stars. I'm willing to put up with this problem to avoid the cost of replacing rechargeable shavers.

A good feature of the the Smart Control shaver is that the shaved hair stays in the shaver (the old Braun leaked shaved hair even when it was new).
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 5, 2013
Verified Purchase
I bought this shaver because it was electric-only. I hate that shaver mfgrs only have rechargeable shavers now: the batteries always die and I have to throw away the shaver and get a new one. So I was hoping this would be my last shaver for a while.

Unfortunately, the motor is so tiny on this unit, it practically stops while shaving. You have to either shave very slowly, or go over the same place 5+ times to get a decent shave. And even then, I had to go over it with a razor afterward to get a good shave.

I returned this shaver and am switching to cheap razors.
on December 10, 2013
Verified Purchase
My old Braun 105 was getting old and starting to fall apart so I needed to replace it with a newer shaver. I don't like rechargeables because they just don't have the power to get a close shave. When you push firmly against your face they bog down and go slower. From my experience the corded models don't have this fault, you push hard and they just shave closer. So, I was hoping this would do as a replacement. After all, it's a Braun just like my old 105. So disappointed! It has a very weak motor to begin with. For some reason it also doesn't shave your beard. You go over and over the same spot and you still feel a 5:00 shadow. If you try to push harder to get closer the head pops off. WTF?
The good news is I only wasted $30. The bad news it I wasted $30. Braun should feel ashamed for selling such a lame product. I've used their shavers for more than 20 years. Can't they just sell a simple corded shaver that shaves close and has the power to do the job, like they did so many times in the past?
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 2, 2013
I just posted the following review on a Remington MS2-100 page....

I bought the mS2-100 after an older micro-screen needed new heads that cost more than the $19.95 clearance sale price at Big Lots,(I believe). I loved this shaver and there was no battery to run down while shaving or to go bad incl the ones in so called Corded-Cordless ones. When the heads needed replacing on it I got the SP69 kit and neither I nor my son could insert the screen without deforming it so I returned it. I have used mainly Remington Shavers since the early 60's when I got a RollaMatic which I still have in it's nice hard case. Now Remington offers numerous rechargeable versions which I won't buy since I never had one that I liked but no corded only version.After all the remingtons I have had, I feel betrayed. Norelco still offers a corded shaver but doesn't shave as close or as fast as a micro-screen. Recently,I picked up a Braun 130-S (corded only) for just $29.95 and it shaves just as good and no stubble leaks out on the sink or my chest!!!

THANKS FOR NOTHING REMINGTON and thank you Braun for a much needed OVERDUE product!

Update 8/7/13:

Sorry for the late update. The shaver worked well for about 3-4 weeks then got slower and slower and the shave became worse. Maybe it had bad Screen/Cutter as it seemed to have slowly gotten dull so I returned it for a refund. Very disappointed.

As a result I think the 130S should be rated 3-1/2 stars but could not find a way
to change the original rating.

I finally got the SP-69 Foil and Cutter replaced properly and the good ole MS2-100 is back in business!

Maybe someday a mfr will fill this void. At least Braun tried; unlike you know who!!
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 8, 2015
I received the Braun 130s Shaver to try for free in exchange for a review, but all opinions in this review are my own.

I looked forward to trying out the Braun shaver because I hadn't used an electric razor since I was a teenager. Back then, I never found one that gave a good close shave, so I've always relied on a regular razor. I'd heard good things about Braun's razors so I figured this was a great time to try one out. When I got the shaver, I plugged it right in, and tested it out the next morning. Despite the manual indicating it would charge while plugged, the razor never charged at all - it won't turn on unless the razor is plugged in. This wouldn't be so bad, except the cord is so short that it's a real hassle to use, even with the socket right next to the sink. The cord comes out constantly. I wouldn't mind it if the razor was amazing... But it barely cuts the hair at all, and definitely doesn't give anything even close to a clean, close shave. If I had no other razor except this one, I'd look like I barely shaved at all. It takes forever to get it to cut any of my beard hair at all. For a beginner who didn't really know any better, and for the relatively low price, I guess it's not that bad, but I wouldn't recommend it. Stick with a regular razor or spend the money to invest one of their better models, which are hopefully better products.
on November 25, 2014
I have used this shaver for 2 weeks straight now-daily (I shave my head, and trim beard/shave neck). I wanted to be as detailed as possible about its advantages and disadvantages.

Personally, I have been super annoyed with the cord, it consistently falls out. I probably plug it in twice, every time I use it.

That said, it is an awesome BEGINNER shaver. It does the bare minimum of what I need. It leaves my head moderately smooth for a shaver. Also, I have never pulled out any hairs, which is a plus as well. I know some cheaper beginner shavers, pull out hairs sometimes.

The trick to this trimmer is to not push too hard.

It takes me a long time with this to shave my head, as opposed to a traditional razor, but it definitely does work. It gets relatively close to the skin without irritation.

I love the washable feature though. It is nice and helpful, even though most shavers have a washable feature.

In all, I would not get another one. It works, but I would rather spend a few more dollars on one that is made to handle tasks like my beard a little better. (I have a nice thick beard)

If this is for a 14 year old who is growing a few whiskers on his chin, buy it for him.

If you're older than 20 and growing full beards, leave this one for others. Not worth the money.

Also, I received this item from a promotion from the brand.
on August 8, 2013
I bought this to replace my Wal Mart brand electric shaver. I was hesitant to pay even the $30 for this, the cheapest of Braun shavers, but I figured brand name must be worth it. boy was I wrong. Once I tried using this thing for about a month I figured this had to be Braun playing a joke on us- that maybe they are sending the real razor soon to my house. This thing is not capable of shaving even, due to it's horrible design. It is basically a plastic screen with unsharpened plastic blades on the inside that move back and forth against the screen. it won't cut the hair on your face, but every now and then if you are lucky it will pull some of the hair out for you. If I could get my money back I would. Since I can't, I will never buy from this company again. Even your cheapest product should be functional; selling something like this shows you want to make a quick buck by ripping people off of their hard earned money for products that don't work.
on February 19, 2014
Verified Purchase
So far so good. The shave is close enough for me. I suppose if you spend more you could get a closer shave. It works well enough for me.
on March 23, 2015
Verified Purchase
With 5 rechargeable shavers sitting dead in my drawer, i decided I'm done with battery shavers. I ordered three of these inexpensive (less than $20) shavers from Braun. I have to say I haven't found the problems others have with this shaver. I got three because I think the days of electric corded shavers are numbered and I wanted to have more than one on hand. This shaver has only one minor drawback for me---it took 2 or 3 minutes more than my other shavers to get a close shave, but the advantages are worth it. First, this shaver cost less than a new foil and cutter. It plugs in and It plugs in firmly so I haven't found the cord coming out. This shaver is not only close but when I put aftershave on, it didn't burn like some of my other shavers. This shaver is slender, easy to hold, and does not get hot even after using more than 5 minutes. Its single blade design is easy to clean, though I wouldn't use water like they say. I simply brush it out. Funny, a few years ago I purchased rechargable Remingtons for $25. Now with the batteries dead, they told it would be close to $40 to replace the battery with a 1 year warranty. This Bruan has two years and I doubt for this price I'd buy the replacement parts. I do know these parts fit more expensive shavers so it might be worth it for owners of those more expensive shavers. My beard is average, not too heavy, but rough enough that my wife says it feels like sandpaper. This well made shaver does have a large wall plug if that is an issue, but I have none with it. Overall, I think this is the best, and only corded foil shaver, on the market. Remington and Norelco each make one electric cord shaver and they're both rotary, which I found not very good for me. If you like foil, you don't want to mess with charging and replacing batteries, this is likely your best option.
on December 22, 2014
Full Disclosure, I received this product from the manufacturer as part of a test / trial.

My Experience: I have been shaving with a default razor for some time now. So Trying out the electric razor seemed like a good plan since it would help with having to always be re-buying the cartridges for razor.
I opened this thing up and discovered it’s extremely light, which is good if you travel, only bummer is that you do have to plug it in for it to work. It’s not battery operated. When I knew it was being sent to me, I didn’t realize that would be corded. So keep that in mind. Granted, if you look at the price point, I suppose that makes sense. That being said until you use the chord enough, it can be a bit “short” feeling.

So I’ve used it for a wee bit now. It shaves pretty close, though it is not like the razor where you can just do a swipe. Takes a lot of “driving” over the same areas. I found it takes me a wee bit longer to shave with this device, but then again you don’t have to deal with lather and such when getting ready. I will say the sideburn trimmer part is quite convenient.

Overall, it’s not a bad razor. It’s my first electric in over 10 years, and it gets the job done. It does shave and get in pretty close, and the price is quite cheap. Ultimately, I think I’m going to move back to my default razor method. This razor for some reason caused me some issues with little bumps under my chin when I shave which I think occurs because I have to repeatedly go over the area. I guess it’s a bit of personal preference too, I think my default razor gets in closer

Pros: Lightweight, Not Messy, and Easy to Clean
Cons: Takes a bit longer, not battery operated, and I had a reaction to it.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...