Automotive Holiday Deals Up to 50% Off Select Books Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Black Friday egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Luxury Beauty Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Cyber Monday Sweepstakes in Prime Music Outdoor Deals on HTL
Customer Discussions > Brave New World forum

Brave New Forum

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 25, 2008 10:25:21 AM PST
N. Burd says:
Greetings to whomever reads this! I, a fan of the book Brave New World, wanted to create a forum board with a distinct Brave New World feel, and as a result, created where people can discuss just about anything. New, we don't have many members yet, but we will be getting some soon. I look forward to many productive debates.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 9, 2009 9:38:47 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Apr 9, 2011 6:35:05 AM PDT]

Posted on Jun 6, 2009 6:54:50 AM PDT
matthew ward says:
i'm hoping to rediscover a book i'm thinking about, but can't recall the title or author. maybe someone here can help.

i thought i was thinking of either Orwell's 1984 or Huxley's Brave New World, but current re-reads of both show that not to be the case.

what i recall from the book i'm trying to remember is that it, too, describes a dystopian future including a large, bureaucratic government. the most distinctive element of this bureaucracy to me was its widespread use of portmanteau, acronymish terms for most elements of the government. the "Satisfaction Section" became SatSec, and the Director of that was the DirSatSec. one of the major barometers of this government was not our "GNP" but the Satisfaction Rating, or SatRat.

any help in determining what is this book's title and/or author would be greatly appreciated. since it wasn't either of the 2 books i originally guessed, it would have most likely been published sometime in the 80s.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2009 2:12:44 PM PST
J. Russell says:
Google the terms in the book you list and chances are very good, links will lead you to the book Title.

I don't recognize these terms, but on the surface it sounds like the Author was doing some idea borrowing from Orwell's "1984", and I would bet it was written after "1984s" release in 1947.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2009 6:52:34 AM PST
matthew ward says:
wow - the brain is an amazing thing. i thought of it, myself after a few weeks. the title just floated into my consciousness; i could "see" the book cover: The Tomorrow File, by Lawrence Sanders 1985.

it was a definite re-read for me, as it had been in my thoughts. not entirely sure i would recommend it to others, other than as yet another dystopian vision. call it 3 out of 5 stars.

Posted on Dec 7, 2009 7:31:05 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Apr 9, 2011 6:35:24 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 21, 2010 4:17:00 PM PDT
Matthew, I think you are talking about the book "The Tomorrow File" by Lawrence Sanders (search for "Tomorrow File" will find it for you). You can read an excerpt from it here on They talk about the DEPDIRSAT, the Deputy Director of the Satisfaction Section and the DOB, the Department of Bliss. It has always been one of my favorite book so I knew it sound familiar. Hope this helps.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2010 1:15:30 PM PDT
Big T says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Brave New World forum
Participants:  6
Total posts:  8
Initial post:  Jan 25, 2008
Latest post:  Oct 27, 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Brave New World
Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (Audio Cassette - Mar. 2000)
4.2 out of 5 stars (1,885)