5.0 out of 5 stars Not quite as fabulous - but damn good!
I must be the biggest fan in the world of 'Spilling Open', thus as you can imagine I was hugely excited for the release of the sequel.
And it is good, just the same style, in a purely wonderful way. It is still as untidy and rich and interesting and colourful as the first. If you didn't like that one, you won't like this.
Although you can tell she has developed...
Published on August 27, 2001 by Kate

2.0 out of 5 stars deja vu all over again...
Published on October 4, 2004 by Shannon

5.0 out of 5 stars Not quite as fabulous - but damn good!, August 27, 2001
Kate (Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Brave on the Rocks: If You Don't Go, You Don't See (Paperback)
Although you can tell she has developed new interests and talents, new artistic styles, yet it is just like the first, and equally lovable. I do, however, find 'Spilling Open' a little more healing, Sabrina is much more vulnerable and open, much more 'dishelved', yet 'Brave on Rocks' is more akin to a travel journal, and there is a slight distance between composer and audience that wasn't present in the first.
It is truly very magical, and very worthwhile. Its a real shame it is not available in Australia and other countries out of North America (as far as I know.) If first venturing into Sabrina's work, I strongly suggest you purchase the first one first, though I am not in any way, shape or form discouraging the purchase of 'Brave on the Rocks'. It is as lovely as anything she could produce, which is pretty lovely.
I truly hope there is more where that came from, she has altered my notion of beauty in art.

2.0 out of 5 stars deja vu all over again..., October 4, 2004
If you've read Harrison's first book, you've essentially read this one too. This contains more of her free-spirited artwork, which is the high point of the book, but once again the text was wanting; in fact, overall it was remarkably similar to the thoughts in her first book. I went into this book thinking, "Good, maybe she's evolved a little more and we'll get to see the progression." Unfortunately, she hadn't changed enough to warrant another book so soon; it was essentially "More Spilling Open!"

The pithy text hadn't evolved either; again, I know it's based on her journals, but in a lot of cases I wondered why this information was shared with us, because it seemed like filler, not vital. This being the case, I'd rather just look at the art and have the journaling aspects minimized. I must say though, she must be a fairly secure person (though she doesn't seem to see herself as such) to put all her personal baggage right out there in print.

This book seems to have an identity crisis going on: part diary, part art book, part self-help, part adolescent studies. I'm sure it was very healing for her to write, but it comes across as weaker than her first book and not different enough from it. Hopefully she can evolve rather than become a stagnated person who never manages to change: why bother to keep writing if everything is staying the same?

4.0 out of 5 stars Not quite Spilling Open..., August 27, 2001
Didn't you hate it when you turned in an essay for class that you knew was better than all of the other kids', but your teacher still gave you a "B" because you didn't quite live up to *your potential*? Enter Brave on the Rocks. It's a great book-- fun and quirky-- but it's not quite Spilling Open (SWH's first book). I love Sabrina's style and crazy wit, but Brave on the Rocks lacks the soul and intimacy of her earlier work. I'm hesitant to say anything critical of Sabrina's work because I admire her in so many ways, but I think both the art and the writing in Brave on the Rocks fall short of the author's potential-- as we saw in the AMAZING Spilling Open. Nevertheless-- Brave on the Rocks is still a daring work with few books that can even compare. Please support this wonderful, adventurous artist! Buy this book-- and her first one too!

1.0 out of 5 stars Another Ego Trip, December 20, 2004
Kamille Carter (Santa Barbara, California) - See all my reviews
I was going to give this book two stars, one for the effort made by Harrison, and another so that I wouldn't look like a chump. I'll look like a chump, then.

I was happy to find Spilling Over hidden amongst the books I browsed at the bookstore. The art was cool. After purchasing and reading the book, however, the project as a whole made me a little nauseous--there was an abundant amount of egotism to swallow and a not-very-unique story told.

Some artists and some authors develop an overbearing ME on the success of their work, which then becomes rather unpalatable to some people. And, I feel like Harrison is guilty of that sin in Brave on the Rocks. It's like...get over it, already. Evolve, already. Brave is just more pages of the first book.

I don't mean to completely knock Harrison. It's that this art is just not -that- worthy. But, if you dig this style, and you simply want to look at more of the same, that's cool, too. Enjoy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Self-discovery is the most important thing, June 13, 2002
By A Customer
Maybe the people who were bashing this book are the kind of people who don't care about self-discovery or self-realization. I don't think her intent was to save the world with "Brave on the Rocks" and it's a mistake that her books are sometimes in the self-help section at the bookstore-- I consider her books to be INSPIRATION and ART! These books are journals, people, and what else do you write about in your journal but yourself? There's so much beauty in her words and art, she makes you feel like getting out the old paintbrushes and writing your thoughts. That to me is a beautiful thing. The only criticism I have about this book is that she seemed to hold back her feelings a lot more, she didn't "Spill Open" as vulnerably as she did in her first book. But that is her perogative. Basically, like Sabrina said, we need more ORDINARY people writing books-- by being ourselves, we find out that we are all uniquely EXTRAORDINARY!

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent!, August 15, 2001
Heather J. Kelley (Philadelphia, PA USA) - See all my reviews
This book is continuation - beginning in fall of 2000 - of where Spilling Open left off. I think this book will be most enjoyed by people familiar with Sabrina's amazing debut, Spilling Open: The Art of Becoming Yourself. (Since Brave deals with many of the issues that Sabrina found herself dealing with as a successful writer.) Part travel journal, this book also deals with the journey each of us makes through our lives. I found myself nodding with agreement as I turned each page - it truly reminds us that we are not alone in this world. Of course, the book is also visually stunning - her collage work is still present, with even more space given to watercolor painting -- truly beautiful! This is a must have!

5.0 out of 5 stars brave on the rocks, April 30, 2002
rachel rogers (Murfreesboro, TN USA) - See all my reviews
I recently ordered a t-shirt from Sabrina Ward Harrison's website. I love both of her books, Spilling Open, and this one, Brave on the Rocks, and I wanted to support her work in any way I could. I think one of the most amazing things about finding an artist or writer that you love, is the moment when you think you couldn't love them anymore, and then something happens to increase your respect for them tenfold. This happened to me when I got that t-shirt in the mail. The package was addressed to my mom, and it read "the wonderful Terry Rogers" in Sabrina's own handwriting. I was simply glowing as I held the package. It was amazing to know that she takes the time not only to pour her life and her loves into her books, but she seems to do it in every other part of her life as well.
Brave on the Rocks is a comort to read. It is inspiring and convicting, it is a message to the reader that they indeed are not alone in any of their doubts, fears, and worries about their own lives and creativity. It's a good book to keep by the bed along with Spilling Open.. open it to any page before going to bed, and you're sure to end your day feeling better about yourself and the world around you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Book..., October 31, 2003
I had Spilling Open and decided to search Amazon for any other books. I found Brave on the Rocks. I think Sabrina is unique and very talented. She makes me feel like art is possible for anyone with the desire to create. I don't know why people have to dismiss her efforts. Like our mothers said "If you have nothing good to say about anyone, say nothing at all." People may say others could have done this but, they didn't Sabrina did and that alone makes it the best it can be.

2.0 out of 5 stars I didn't like it, June 3, 2013
I didn't like the book. I thought it would have more pictures of the place she traveled too and would show more about her trip

5.0 out of 5 stars It makes me smile., February 26, 2013
The gist of the book is told in the title...I now think "be brave!" To myself more often...and not just with my art.

Brave on the Rocks: If You Don't Go, You Don't See
Brave on the Rocks: If You Don't Go, You Don't See by Sabrina Ward Harrison (Paperback - August 14, 2001)
Used & New from: $1.95