Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Water Sports

on January 25, 2015
I set myself a goal to read all of the books/novels written by Philippa Gregory. I quickly learned to enjoy her writing style. She caught me as a reader with her historical novels after I watched the television series "The White Queen" based on her books. Although this book is not an historical novel, I enjoyed it as much as her other books. Ms. Gregory writes from a woman's point of view AND with a touch of tongue-in-cheek sarcasm and humor. You find yourself smiling a lot and even laughing out loud at times. Her female leads are sometimes overly helpless, or overly cruel but they all seem to travel through a journey of growing and maturing. It's always a joy to watch the character go through that process and Ms. Gregory always leaves me guessing as to how the book will actually end as the story's intensity builds. I have now finished her list of books/novels, and await a new addition.
on September 16, 2013
I hadn't read anything by Philippa Gregory until I read this sparkling collection of seventeen short stories but I think I shall be reading at least some of her other books. The stories are a mixture of genres - historical, mystery, supernatural and stories about people going about their daily lives.

I enjoyed all the stories - which is unusual in such a collection - and I found them all to be of an equally high standard. I particularly liked the title story which features a monk who loves baking. My other favourites were - `The Wave Machine' about a small child's effect on a single man; `The Magic Box' - which sent shivers down my spine and `The Garden' about a controlling man and the wife who sees a means of escape.

I think this is a collection of short stories which I shall be reading more than once. I'm pleased that the advent of e-books has meant authors and publishers taking a chance on short story collections sometimes short stories are just what the reader needs to dip into rather than a full length novel.
on February 16, 2012
A perfect title for delicious literary morsels.....Each story has a little twist at the end (makes me smile). Perfect reading for times when you are at the doctor or dentist's office and have just enough time to finish one or two stories.
on January 29, 2013
I was a bit confused because I loved Bread and Chocolate Chapter 1, wanted more and thought that the story would continue.
After Chapter 2 and 3 I realized that every Chapter was a new story. Having said that, I thoroughly enjoyed this book and its 'quirky' short stories. A great book for someone who can only read a few chapters at a time. My favourite auther did not disappoitment me.
on January 16, 2013
This was my first Philippa Gregory although I've often seen her books in local bookstores and I was impressed.

This is a book of clever stories with great insight into the weirdness of humanity.
on February 4, 2013
My type of reading, with a meaning behind it. Philippa Gregory never disappoints. Have only previously read her historical novels.
on December 5, 2012
Great read in her series of books. Good author and filled with history.I think you will like it as well as we did
on February 13, 2014
I don't know what I was expecting but this book just wasn't satisfactory for me. It's so different from what Philippa Gregory generally writes.
on May 10, 2013
Perfect for when you need distraction from what's going on around you. Great author who normally writes historical novels showing her diversity.
on August 1, 2013
I am not a short story fan but I do enjoy Philippa Gregory's books. This is so different from her historical novels but just as enjoyable.