Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Break Your Own Geode "Tennis Ball Size" By Ancient Treasure Adventures
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

TOP 100 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon December 31, 2011
I purchased this as a Christmas gift for an 8 year old boy and it was definitely a big hit!

It comes packaged in a thick sealed plastic box, that is inside a small white box. Inside, with the geode, is a pamphlet with information about the different kids of geodes there are, and a visual guide so you can compare the pictures to yours once you have opened it.

Instead of cracking open the geode with a hammer, we happen to be at the home of someone who owned a saw with a diamond cutting blade (just a special type of blade for a saw). He used that to cut the geode open which gave it a beautiful smooth even cut. Once open, we were delighted to find the geode we gave as a gift was filled with one of the rarer types of stones called druzy. It was beautiful and the 8 year old boy was ecstatic.

Makes a great gift for anyone since no one else is likely giving them the same thing! Also you never know what kind of stone is inside and that makes for half the fun.
on January 1, 2012
My son loved this thing, however there is a specific way to crack this thing open. Make sure you use a chisel, safety glasses and a hammer. Take your time to use the chisel all the way around it and it will crack in halves.
on January 9, 2012
Geodes are cool and the fact that you get to smash them first is even better - especially for my 12 yr old. The sad news is that there is only one geode in the package. He immediately wanted to buy some more!
on November 17, 2013
My daughter and I just broke open our first geode! These unassuming little balls have great surprises inside. Will you get a common rock formation or a rare one?

This comes with instructions, like placing the geode in a spare sock before breaking it. We just left it in the plastic packaging and placed that on a concrete block. There were some tense moments, as I was holding the stone and my daughter was hitting with the hammer! I love my kid, but I don't entirely trust a 10 year old's aim.

We tapped, hard, in a straight line, rotated the stone and continued the line around the stone. After just a few minutes it popped in half! And then I dropped it while getting it out of the bag. OOPS! One side stayed a full half, the other broke into a few large pieces. Either way, my daughter was just as excited!

We ended up with clear quartz--included is a booklet explaining the different formations of the shell, primary crystal and secondary crystal.

My daughter is now hooked and requesting a LOT of these for Christmas!
review image
on June 28, 2012
This geode was as good as I'd hoped. It was truly the size of a tennis ball, as advertised, and when opened, contained beautiful crystals. My seven year old daughter loves cracking open rocks to look for "crystals." When we cracked this one open she was so excited because it's the real deal.
on January 3, 2012
Overall, this product was great! At first I thought there would be 2 geodes, but theres only one. Even with only one geode, I would say definitely worth the money. When I opened my geode, it was so beautiful! The crystals were just gorgeous and I placed the geode pieces on my table and got many complements. The geode was a bit hard to break open, but considering how weak I am, its no surprise. Will buy again!
on June 21, 2013
This was purchased for. 9 year old boy who has a fascination with rocks/minerals and gems. He loved opening the Geode himself........or should I say with a little help.
It was a perfect experience for him.
on April 6, 2012
Though the geode is a challenge to break open, the reward is worth it. It's so wonderous to see nature's beauty that way. It's educational for the children to get them interested in learning about rocks/gems.
on December 27, 2012
I thought it was going to take awhile to crack it open with a hammer, but after a dozen whacks, it broke in half and revealed beautiful clear to smokey quartz caves. I am an adult and put it on my wish list because i've always loved rocks and gems. My children found it fascinating too! I highly recommend this product.
on December 21, 2012
I purchased this geode as something totally different and strange for my newly-turned 13 year old daughter. I gave it to her a few days early (you know... the begging for a present before the world ends 'today' 12/21/12, haha). I heard a banging and she and her 18yo sister were breaking it open. They were thrilled, to say the least. There was quartz, smokey quartz and some other formation inside. Both said they want more.

The size of this geode is exactly what it says it is -- tennis ball sized. I did a lot of research and found nothing comparable in size for the price. It was well boxed with a nice informative sheet with it. I recommend for all ages.