Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Break Your Own Geodes High Quality Kit 12 Whole Geodes
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM

on December 10, 2011
I shopped around, looked at reviews. Ended up w/3 of these sets from Gem Center USA (with that name, how can you go wrong?). The one we kept is shown in the video. 12 geodes, ranging in size and color. Obviously rocks were picked from various regions and combined into this great gift. Well done. My 8 year old was so thrilled. And I was, too.
11 comment|152 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 21, 2010
After reading poor reviews for many of the geodes available on amazon (small, lots of duds) we paid a little more for these geodes. We were not disappointed. I used them in a geology summer camp and every child had a good geode. There were no "duds" in the packs. Gem Center USA delivered a quality product at a good price. I will for sure buy from them again next summer. They are not extremely large but the kids were satisfied by the size. The kids thought the geodes were very cool. We had the greatest success cracking them open with a hammer and cold chisel. The geodes contained a mix of calcite and quartzite crystals in various colors. The crystals looked great under a dissecting microscope. These are a great teaching tool or just as a fun gift for a person of any age interested in the subject.
0Comment|136 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 25, 2010
We bought this as one of the Christmas presents for our child this year. See the picture I provided with the product listing. What you see is a tray of a dozen, carefully broken geodes by a 10 year old (of course, under adult supervision). The package of 12 geodes came with instructions, again, see the picture I uploaded. We used a sock and a hammer, carefully following instructions. Both parents and child had fun with the process and were very pleased to see how pretty these geodes are inside! There were no duds. An important pointer: since these are small geodes, try not to hit them too hard or they will get pulverized and you will end up not seeing the real thing and you might think you got a dud. Highly recommended for educational purposes and fun! I would also recommend accompanying it with a geode book for the recipient to read.
on November 23, 2012
I have purchased two sets of these and had no duds or solid ones. Most kids will just want to bash them, but with a little patience you can break them in two or just a few big pieces. The smallest rock was about ping pong ball size with most around golf ball size, not bad. There were a variety of colors and most had crystal growth inside.
on January 5, 2015
After reading the reviews on several geode kits, I decided that this particular set was the best to buy. It truly is a high quality kit. The rocks range in size, the smallest being a little less than the size of a golf ball. Every rock was beautiful on the inside. It did take a good amount of smashing to finally break a few open, but some only took a couple strong hits. It was a great gift to give to my brother, and I will likely buy another to give to someone else!
review image review image
on January 24, 2012
Each geode had beautiful crystals inside!! I will try to post pics of our geodes. I bought this set for my six-year-old and we both had the best time opening the geodes and discovering the crystals inside. I highly recommend this set for both entertainment and educational aspects. In order to preserve the integrity of the crystals, we used a hammer and chisel to break the geodes in half as gently as possible. Although my daughter made the initial hits with the hammer, it required adult strength to break through the stone. I do not recommend placing the geodes into a sock and smashing them with a hammer, as recommended by others, because the crystals would be smashed to bits. All in all, this was a fantastic purchase.
on February 28, 2011
I had read poor reviews on some of the other geode products--but after reading several positive reviews about this set, I paid the extra money and was not disappointed. Every geode was really good and my students had a great time opening their treasure!
on January 14, 2011
I got this as a Christmas gift for my 13 year old son. He loved it along with my 12 year old son my 7 year old son and my 14 year old nephew. They immediately took these geodes, a sock and hammer to the garage and cracked them open. It took 2-3 tries to get it to crack open and he was so excited and proud of himself when it cracked into two perfect halves. I will definitely recommend this product to anyone with children interested in science. It's awesome.Thank you so much.
on May 9, 2015
These geodes were great! All were hollow! My school has a rock saw so I was able to cut them all really nicely. The geodes were from different sources which was nice because there was a great variety of minerals in them. Mostly quarts. A lot had stalagmites and stalactites too (rare) !!
review image review image
on June 28, 2011
This was a birthday gift for my six year old grandson who shared the geodes with his four year old brother. The two of them had loads of fun and got rid of lots of aggression cracking open the geodes to find the crystals. I also sent a book on geodes for mom to read to them. Birthday success.