Automotive Holiday Deals GG Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Indie for the Holidays egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions $30 Off Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals BestoftheYear Outdoors Gift Guide on HTL

on October 8, 2008
I just finished this inspiring book, and recommend it wholeheartedly. I am really impressed with the way in which Caprino features specific case studies of professional women and how they have not only survived crisis, but come through the other side more fulfilled, happier, and more connected to their higher selves. Each chapter addresses a different focus and set of specifics, but the overall message is as hopeful as it is direct. Each of us CAN live our best, most balanced lives, starting right now. Caprino provides interesting exercises, meditations, and checklists that help keep the more practical readers moving forward, and has a fresh writing style that will bring a new perspective to even the most self-help-addicted among us.
on June 27, 2011
This book has some good information but the stories are depressing. All the women go from high powered careers in marketing to average jobs. I expected the book to be more about bigger thinking. It needed more variety for me.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 16, 2008
In the spirit of full disclosure, I am a former colleague of Kathy Caprino's and was delighted to learn she had published this book through my wonderful former employer, Berrett-Koehler [the best small publisher in the country, and the most author-friendly.] As someone who reviews books for several national business magazines, I am always on the lookout for new books by and for women. Though one might think this was purely *for* women, I think it has real lessons for everyone seeking passion and purpose in their work. Too often managers get so caught up in the day-to-day firefighting that they forget what brought them to their current jobs in the first place. And who suffers most? Their employees -- and, sadly, often their families when they come home empty and burned out after another tension-filled day at the office. I urge both men and women to take a look at this entertaining and inspiring book. I ordered it for my Kindle this morning and have already almost finished it. It's the best book on the subject I've read since 'Time Off for Good Behavior' and 'The Power of Purpose.' Congratulations, old friend.
on May 11, 2010
Although it's been well documented that many men go through a midlife crisis, women have only recently recognized a similar life transition. When a woman suddenly finds herself stuck in a career that no longer seems to fit and she longs for something more, she often has no place to turn. Breakdown, Breakthrough was conceived when Kathy Caprino found herself in the midst of her own professional meltdown, and provides answers for women facing these struggles.

When a woman feels out of control in this stage of life, she needs to be empowered to make the right choices. Four areas of empowerment are covered in this book: with self, with others, with the world, and with the higher self. In all four areas, the reader is invited to step back to explore what might be causing the problem, let go of something that just isn't working, and say yes to something new that might work better.

Caprino shares the wisdom she's collected from women who have been through some dramatic changes that improved the quality of their lives. In addition to sharing their stories, these women offer advice and affirmations to guide us on a similar breakthrough. Action steps and probing questions are also provided.

A resource list of reading, websites, and groups is included, and Caprino suggests that you may need the support of a life coach or therapist, if you feel you can't make these changes alone. But the most important thing you can do now is to recognize and take action to make your life the best it can be. Breakdown, Breakthrough can provide the expert assistance you'll need on your journey.

Reviewer: Alice Berger
on December 19, 2014
I can't quite give this three stars.

If you want trade-in your high-powered job for something that pays less and requires a lot less from you, this is the book for you. If you're looking for more, look elsewhere.

There's nothing new in here, it's tedious, uninspiring and worst of all, downright depressing. While there are a few good ideas, there aren't enough of them to justify the spend on money and time. The message I'm getting is 'settle for less'.

While there is nothing wrong with settling for less, that's not what the book promises.

If you want to reconfigure your life, I can recommend Martha Beck's Finding Your Own North Star.

Timma's review is spot on (although she's been a tad more generous with her stars). Unfortunately, I got sucked in by the rave reviews.
on March 17, 2010
Don't wait for the breakdown---grab Caprino's book when you start to slide. It's pitched to the professional woman in crisis but it works for the dips in the career path also. Plus, it goes beyond the executive or corporate professional woman to fit work-at-home women like me, a writer freelancing. Just be warned it is not a fast read. Each chapter needs to simmer and settle before the reader moves on. I suspect I'll come back to it again. Thank you, Kathy Caprino!
on February 26, 2010
I was pleased to receive a review copy of Breakdown, Breakthrough: The Professional Woman's Guide to Claiming a Life of Passion, Power, and Purpose. The author, Kathy Caprino, is the founder of Elia Communications and a fellow Make Mine a Million Dollar Business program awardee ([...]). Kathy is passionate about empowering and developing women and this passion shows throughout her writing.

Kathy has interviewed countless women who have been through a crisis of one form or another. Engaging stories introduce us to each chapter, each illustrating vividly a particular challenge many of us have faced (or will face) at one time or another. These targeted examples seque into an exploration of the topic, complete with advice from those who have been there. We are then lead through simple yet powerful steps to move forward. This book also includes a meaty Resource section with additional books, websites and organizations to help make the fundamental changes necessary to breakthrough.

I believe every woman can relate to the chapter "Balancing Life and Work". In today's over-scheduled, hyper-speed world, this chapter is incredibly relevant. Kathy guides us through identifying our deepest fears about giving up some of the control we've taken on and visualizing what a balanced life looks like. She challenges us to take on and let go of those fears. Then we are able to step forward, one step at a time.

If you're struggling to find a career path, you might be particularly inspired by the chapter, "Using Real Talents in Life and Work". This chapter gives you the space and the permission to fully explore who you are and what you love. It works hand in hand with "Doing Work and Play You Love".

The chapter that speaks to me the most is "Helping Others and the World". It has been pointed out to me that I am a helper. It's a fundamental part of who I am. This chapter helps channel that natural quest to find fulfillment in helping others. I think we often feel small and insignificant, but we can all make a difference.

For women who are feeling unfulfilled, dissatisfied, pulled down in their current circumstances, there is something in this book to give hope and inspiration.

I will say that, being a Christian, I did find myself continually editing the book in my head as I read, crediting God and His guidance, where the book focuses on a more general spirituality. However, I found the book to be thought-provoking and will remain in my library to be a source of inspiration and ideas for breaking through life's challenges.
on December 13, 2008
I read Kathy Caprino's book a couple of months ago in the midst of questioning my own professional future. It helped me clarify my thoughts and feelings and find a new direction in my professional life. Since the book has exercises for self questioning and lots of practical advice I still open it for ideas and inspiration.

I especially love the way Kathy divided the women's stories in four empowerment chapters: with self, with others, with world, and the higher self. In doing so she guides us gently to deal first with our self-centered concerns to those with our relationship with others, the world and ultimately, higher purpose and spiritual growth. This is an excellent book which helps us to tap into our own creative forces to find fulfillment and purpose in all aspects of our lives.
on October 8, 2008
There are some great exercises in this book. I think it's going to help me figure out what I'm going to do next.
on January 7, 2010
I've just finished Breakdown, Breakthrough and I'm excited to have found such an excellent resource. I'm constantly on the hunt for materials that will help inspire and direct my clients toward change. Kathy's writing is excellent and each of the women's stories (including Kathy's own) serve to illustrate how much change is possible---sometimes with struggle---but, always worth it in the end. I think the book will be very helpful to women who find themselves feeling trapped in jobs or careers that are uninspiring and detrimental to their spiritual and emotional health; and for women who have lost their jobs in this economy and are looking for a way to reinvent themselves. Breakdown, Breakthrough is like having a personal coach you can turn to whenever you need one! Pamela D.Blair, author The Next Fifty Years: A Guide for Women at Midlife and Beyond