Breaking Bad: Season 2
Format: DVDChange
Price:$12.44+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

Since the first episode of season 2, there have been hints of some kind of catastrophe that is to come. I was relieved to have an answer, though perhaps not the kind of answer I was looking for. I have no intention of spoiling it for anyone, but will assure you that the season 2 finale will likely leave you wanting to come back for season 3.
on May 25, 2012
American culture prefers happy stories, to the point that nearly everything on network tv is about as deep as an empty suburban swimming pool. Fortunately, we have alternatives.

Breaking Bad is the story of Walt White, former brilliant graduate student turned high school chemistry teacher. His life is bland and unsatisfying, and Walt keeps it chugging along by hiding his many dissatisfactions under a mild facade. He says that he loves his wife, but the couple occupy distant universes.

When Walt learns he has late stage cancer he chooses to forgo treatment. His family stages an intervention and, in a moment of rare honesty, Walt tells them that in his entire life, he has never made his own choices. The intervention ends with Walt acceding to his wife Skyler's demand that he undergo chemotherapy. Believing that he has only a couple of years to live, he sets out to give his family a financial security that they lack. Through his DEA brother in law he learns about the money to be made cooking meth. During a ride-along, he meets a former student turned meth peddler; they form a partnership in the crystal meth trade.

The world of a meth cook, while grim and uncertain, is stripped of the petty deceits that made his previous life possible. Unable to tell his family what he's doing, he lies. And the lies slowly rip his old life apart.

It's a painful story to watch, but an honest one. Well written and acted, as it is, it is also impossible to turn away.

Good, honest storytelling always has something to tell us about what it means to be human in a particular time and place. And Breaking Bad is superb story telling.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 4, 2012
I like it, especially being able to watch it at my own pace, without commercials.
not watching much tv, I cannot compare it to anything else. It does stand on its own.
What's to say that hasn't been said, I like the connection to the real world, as in, this could happen. it brings out some great points on things to think about, like health insurance in the usa. One stretch on realism is that everyone I know in teaching has very good health insurance. Another thought provoking topic is dealing with cancer. I am learning a few things about it, and dealing with my friend's cancer helps me to consider things that she is going through, and how to accept and respond to her fears and situation. The entertainment part of it is great, a chemistry high school teacher and his real life application of his knowledge, and how he adapts and handles his problems. Lots of side stories brought in for a well diverse story all around the central story, such as the petty theft by Walt's sister in law, the turtle in the desert, Walt Jr and his cerebral palsy, even the lawyer, lots of things for consideration.
A what could be look at a real life side of illegal drugs, what it does to a person, family,... especially Jane, Jane's father, as well as the business side of it, especially Jesse's street friends. an intelligent main character, Walter, and cast, written by intelligent writers, put together and presented in an entertainingly intelligent way.
VINE VOICEon February 16, 2012
Breaking Bad's second season is darker than the first. There are some humorous moments (usually at Jesse's expense), but overall this season is much more "intense".

"The Sopranos" and "Boardwalk Empire" are entertaining crime dramas, but they don't pull me in the way this show does. I know of no other TV series or movie about an illegal enterprise where you actually witness the "business" being put together, almost in real time, while the law desperately scrambles to stop it. That whole process in itself makes for fascinating viewing.

Again, this series in no way glorifies drug taking or drug trafficking (quite the opposite), and it's pretty interesting how they manage to make this seem so viscerally realistic without excess profanity or violence.

I don't want to go into detail without spoiling the plot, but suffice it to say Bryan Cranston and Aaron Paul continue to be amazing together onscreen. Anna Gunn gets more screen time, as do Dean Norris and RJ Mitte - and this season they further prove how great the entire cast is.

I'll just conclude by saying that the last episode of season two is heartbreaking to watch, but up to this point, Breaking Bad is one of the best shows I've ever seen and definitely merits repeated viewing.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Okay, I am going to go against the grain of other reviewers here and (without spoilers) give you the true scoop on Season 2. As we all recall, Season 1 was more than riveting, it was groundbreaking storytelling at its finest. Season 2 starts off this way and then takes a sharp decline. It is almost as if the first three episodes and the last three episodes of Season 2 were written by someone else. The middle episodes (while still better than most other schlock on television) seemed to drag on forever. I cannot help it, I find Walt's wife to be the least likable, least interesting, and the character I would most love to see killed off in the entire series (with Hank a close second, but he gets better developed in Season 3). Season 2 spends a lot of time focusing on Skyler, her pregnancy and Walt's medical condition. Yeah, I am aware that these are central to the series, but enough already, we get it, can we move on to the more interesting aspects of this series? Maybe it was just me, but I found the finale to be less than climactic and could see it coming from the second to last episode. Maybe I am just jaded by how great Season 1 was and Season 3 is (which I am watching now - hint: Much more like Season 1 - AMAZING). Again, I am not bashing this show, I find the entire series to be superior to most all others I have watched, however once you set such a high standard, it is imperative to live up to it with each episode and not throw fillers in mid-season just to drag the story out longer. Tell your story clearly and concisely. No, this is not a short-attention span thing, it is a classic storytelling rule that should be adhered to. Admittedly, I watched the entire season in about 3 days, so maybe I was just overwhelmed by everything that was going on, but you would think that (given that short span of time) I would not have felt that the show was moving along too slow. Now, the haters can hate and bash this review, but if you are a true fan of this series, you must admit that I am right on at least a few points. And for those comparing this series to THE SHIELD...come on!!! THE SHIELD jumped the shark the minute they killed Lem. The rest of that show was a jumbled mess. THE SHIELD does not even deserve to stand in Breaking Bad's shadow. Final thought: Breaking Bad is still one of the finest series ever. Period, full stop, end of discussion.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I'm glad they are finally giving this amazingly filmed show a Blu-Ray release for it's second season and they are going back to release the first season on Blu-Ray as well. The second season of this AMC series starts right where the first dramatic season left off. From there it winds down a dark path where you can't see what's coming while still managing to up the stakes and get you more involved with the characters with each passing episode. While I wasn't quite prepared for where this season ended I have high hopes for the third season that will premiere this winter and highly recommend the first and second seasons to fans of well made television and certainly for fans of this series to rewatch it and notice things they've missed in first viewing. This 3-disc Blu-Ray set will contain the following episodes from season 2 of Breaking Bad (No Spoiler's):

Seven Thirty-Seven
Walt and Jesse try to end their deal with Tuco. Meanwhile, Hank attempts to repair Marie and Skyler's relationship.

Grilled
With Walt and Jesse trapped with Tuco, Marie and Hank comfort Skyler over his disappearance.

Bit by a Dead Bee
Walt and Jesse's become short on cash when they try to cover their tracks. Meanwhile, the DEA has a lead that could get them straight to Walt and Jesse.

Down
Walt attempts to reconnect with his family, while Jesse struggles to rebuild his life.

Breakage
Hank suffers from the aftermath of his encounter with Tuco. Meanwhile, Jesse hires a crew to get their product out on the streets.

Peekaboo
Walt's secret is in jeopardy when Skyler thanks Gretchen for paying for his treatment. Jesse tries to please Walt by 'manning up' and getting back some money that was lifted from one of their new crew, but he runs into complications.

Negro Y Azul
Rumors fly about Jesse's recent actions as he and Walt discuss expanding their business into new territories. Hank struggles to fit in with his new co-workers in El Paso. Skyler pursues a new job opportunity that reconnects her with a former colleague. Jesse gets to know his landlord, Jane

Better Call Saul
When Badger finds himself in trouble with the law, Walt and Jesse seek the legal advice of a shady attorney, Saul Goodman. The DEA believe they may have finally caught up with the elusive 'Heisenberg.' Hank returns to Albuquerque, but his troubled mental state and demeanor cause Marie to worry.

4 Days Out
Walt interrupts Jesse's weekend plans to inform his partner they'll have to cook for four days straight, or risk losing their batch of methylamine. Out in the desert things get heated between them when they wind up stranded.

Over
With Walt's disease in remission, the Whites throw a party for all those who've supported him through the ordeal, but the mood is ruined when Walt and Hank argue. Skyler is worried about Walt's emotional state as Walt tries various home improvement projects to occupy himself. Jane continues her relationship with Jesse but keeps this secret from her father.

Mandala
Saul suggests a new business partner for Walt. Skyler discovers something shocking at work. Jesse tells Jane about his 'job'. When an unreliable Jesse isn't there at a crucial moment, Walt must choose between an important moment in his familie's life or possibly scoring a big deal.

Phoenix
Skyler deals with newly developed family dynamic. Walter Jr. launches a new website to raise money for the family. Jane convinces Jesse to stand up to Walt. Walt makes a decision, or lack thereof, that sends him further down a path of darkness.

ABQ
Skyler's frustration with Walt's secrecy boils over; Jesse heads further down a path of self-destruction, and only Walt is willing to help him; and a grief-stricken Donald experiences more tragedy. Walt's recent poor decisions have a much larger negative affect on others than he could ever have anticipated.

'Seven Thirty-Seven' is an amazing season opener that leaves one anxiously awaiting the rest of the season. 'Grilled' provides a level of tension and excitement so high it leaves one wondering how the rest of the season will follow. While it does level out excitement-wise from there each episode is amazingly well crafted and dramatic from beginning to end. Other stand out episodes for me this season were '4 Days Out' and 'Mandala'. ABQ is also an incredibly well done season finale that leaves things in total chaos and wide open for the third season. Truly though, every episode stands out as excellently entertaining television making.

Special Features Announced For This Blu-Ray Release Include:

The Writer's Lab- An Interactive Guide to the Elements of an Episode. (Blu-Ray Exclusive)

Cast and Crew Commentaries (The First Season Commentaries were very informative and entertaining)

Inside Breaking Bad- 13 Featurettes About the Making of Each Episode.

11 Behind The Scenes Featurettes

6 Breaking Bad Original Webisodes

Walt's Warning Featurette

As Well As
Cop Talk With Dean Norris, Deleted Scenes, Gag Reel, "Negro Y Azul" Music Video, "Better Call Saul" Commercial, Vince Gilligan's Photo Gallery, a Season 1 Recap and a Season 3 Sneak Peak.

This set is well worth the money with the amount of in depth bonus features you are getting along with the full season of 13 episodes as opposed to the first season set, which on account of the writer's strike, only had seven. These episodes are truly great televsion making and will certainly look great in High Definition. I highly recommend this set to any fan of well made television drama and obviously fans of this series. Thanks for your time.
on January 23, 2011
I thought the second season of Breaking Bad was really its breakout season. It continues the story of Walt who is a high school teacher who becomes ill and resorts to selling meth with his dubious partner in order to support his family. In this season, his relationship with his wife Schuyler is challenged, he has a baby on the way (and by the way you won't want to miss that part of the season when it actually happens), and his whole world is almost shaken upside down when he meets a potential new source to unload significant quantities of product. This show is well worth watching if you haven't started already and I am eagerly anticipating the third season.
on October 18, 2011
This is the greatest TV show I have ever seen, literally. I used to think the Wire was the greatest, until I saw this. I could not stop watching the DVD set and went through seasons 1 -3 in like 2 weeks. When I showed it to my parents, we watched the entire 1st season non-stop, all seven episodes. It's addicting, groundbreaking and cinematic. It's filmed, written and produced not like a TV show but like one very, very long movie. Every episode ends with an intense cliffhanger that forces you to watch the next episode right away. I am so bummed I have to wait until next summer for season 5 to start.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I had read a challenging question once. If you could have one of the following wishes granted, which would you take? Money, Power or Respect. Walt White has none of these advantages but because he has knowledge, Walt is able to score all three. Walt missed his chance to fulfill his potential a long time ago because of stubbornness. Now he has a lifestyle that is very routine and unchallenging. His in-laws seem to remind him of his inadequacies often. As do his high school students who he fails to reach despite his passion for science versus life. When he finds out that he has lung cancer and has a chance encounter with a former student (that he has nothing in common with)... the stage is set to start earning extra money manufacturing drugs.

I was wandering Borders with a 40% coupon and I happened upon Season One of Breaking Bad. I went to Amazon on my phone and discovered the following: About 60 reviews and most of them gave it all 5 stars. Outstanding. In one weekend I watched them all under ideal conditions: I had a cough that wouldn't die. I had empathy for Walter White. The funny thing is, I don't normally like movies about the drug trade. I don't like good people who crash and burn. When that person is reluctant and their decline is spread out over a long period of time, then it's like watching a train wreck in super slow mo. I believe it when it's a process, not a sharp 180 crammed into 46 minutes minus commercials. Also, the way Walt uses his science smarts to turn the tables on his enemies during confrontations makes for the best television I've seen in years. MacGyver insults your intelligence. Walt makes you feel smarter than James Freaking Bond.

Season Two: The best thing I can say is that I jumped when someone rang a bell for service when I was in a little retail setting recently. After season two: the sound of the little desktop bell will make you VERY alert. I bought this set for the extras. I don't know that this show has what I call repeatability. Time will tell. I'm so wrapped up in Season 3 currently that I haven't watched anything twice yet.

My favorite movies of all time involve reluctant heroes. Bryan Cranston masterfully plays a dorky high school science teacher who never found his real potential. An underachiever who turns to the dark side when he is faced with mortality. So often in life we take the path of least resistance when forced to partner up in business, romance or gym class. The partnership of Jesse and Walt could not be more volatile and watching their interaction is often hilarious.

I'm in Season 3 and finally caught up. The karma resonates as Walt's greed compounds. More characters are introduced; each of them affected negatively by the new player in town. Drugs ruin lives and take down a lot of the people connected to the users, dealers and manufacturers. Walt finds himself close to the edge with increasing frequency and when he acts out, it's a pleasure to watch.
***No Spoiler's Here***

The second season of this AMC series starts right where the first dramatic season left off. From there it winds down a dark path where you can't see what's coming while still managing to up the stakes and get you more involved with the characters with each passing episode. While I wasn't prepared for where this season ended I have high hopes for the third season that will premiere this winter and highly recommend the first and second seasons to fans of well made television. This 4-disc DVD set will contain the following episodes from season 2 of Breaking Bad:

Seven Thirty-Seven

Over

Mandala

Phoenix

ABQ

Amazon has listed the Special Features for this set above and there are more than enough of them to make this set well worth the money for the in depth special features alone. I do want to point out that all the same features are available on the Blu-Ray release as the DVD but the Blu-Ray set will include an exclusive special feature, The Writer's Lab- An Interactive Guide to the Elements of an Episode.

This set provides an astounding amount of in depth special features for fans as well as the 13 amazing second season episodes, unlike the first season set which on account of the writer's strike only had seven. It's all at an affordable price and it's shows like this that I feel are most worth owning on DVD or Blu-ray for repeat viewings because they are truly not only entertaining but because they are so layered you see new things each time you rewatch an episode. I highly recommend this set to any fan of well made television drama and obviously to fans of this amazing series. Thanks for your time.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...