Automotive Deals HPCC Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Segway miniPro

on December 22, 1999
If you are an African American who believes you are ready for a book of such magnitude, then I suggest you re-evaluate yourself because this is a powerful book. I have to admit that I was skeptical at first, but this is one of the best authors and books I have ever read. Akbar doesn't need many pages of chatter to move your spirt. Believe me, most of his writtings are short and to the point. He removes the mindless page filler of many of todays popular writters, and opts to hit you with the meat of his thoughts. Please, read it with a passsion and and want for self enlightment. I really believe this book will change your life if you are ready for a change. If you are all ready in the area of conscienceness, then buy this for someone who is pondering the move. POWERFUL, is the only way to explain this book.
11 comment| 96 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 17, 2000
Na'Im Akbar's series of essays helps to uncover and delineate the nature and contributing causes of self enslavement experienced by many black Americans in todays social-political setting. Some readers will be surprised by the legacy of enslavement and others will readily recognize the constrainting beliefs and restrictive behavior that get unconsciously passed down to the next generation. The driving emotional trait is one of survival and it inhibits trusting and embracing change and collective support. Unless one intervenes in the domino effect, enslavement continues to plaque the black urban community. It show up in our behaviors and attitudes in learning institutions and carries through many domains, even to how black men disengage in parental responsibilies.
on November 18, 2004
Dr. Akbar has done a brilliant job of identifying habits in the black community that are literally the result of the residue of slavery. This is a thought provoking book that causes the reader to evaluate their own actions. You may not be as free as you think once you read what Dr. Akbar has to say about the deep psychological damage that has been done to black people over the years. I especially encourage young black males to read this book.
on July 11, 2005
Many researchers write books that just detail past experiences of the African people. The excellent thing about this book is, it just doesn't accomplish that, it shows how all of these colonialization events affected the current living circumstances of the African American. In the book he covers a variety of interesting topics from, the black family, blacks doing anything to be accepted by whites, why the only images that the African American communtiy has are of athletes and entertainers, and the beggining effect, wich is having a diety that has know similarity with your ethnic structure. All beggining readers liberating their mind, white, and black should read this book in an attempt to understand why the things that are happening today, are happening, and what was the root of all these problems.
on November 11, 2005
Africa and it's children have had it worse than ANY other race in history, as far as longevity is concerned. Of course they are not the only race, and when you break it all down, at the end of the day, the HUMAN RACE is treated like a scrap of meat by the powers that be, the same powers that knocked down the towers, the same powers that set up the FED then allowed America to go into a great depression, the same powers that have both black, asian, and white youth adicted to a culture of mindless consumption.

We are trained to obsess over spin, we are trained to remain a teen mentality until as late as life as possible, we are trained to find a career, get a job, marry, reproduce, raise another consumer/working drone, die. Beyond that we can be ANYTHING we want to be, so long as it conforms to the constraints and limitations of the system...

...that is Empire.

I was one of the only "white" people at the Million More March this year, and I've got to say that I felt VERY at home there, and it was hard to leave, but I felt that many had forgetten that the powers that be are after us all! The stereotypical upper-middle class whites and there stereotypical spoiled children have not responded yet simply because they have never experienced things from a repressed point of view, they can't comprehend, just as they can't comprehend how Germany which was supposed to be following the path of Christ, turned into a mass of slayers...

...all the while they blindly vote for one out of 2 slayers every 4 years... Oh the irony.

The individual has hope, society is another beast. You can only effect society by changing one individual at a time, just like this book aims to accomplish.

P.S. Check out Immortal Technique!
on September 18, 2005
This book hit it right on the head! Every person who consider themselves black should read this book. To know who we are is the only freedom.
on April 29, 2006
CO-SIGN

CO-SIGN

on July 23, 2001
Read Chains and Images of Psychological Slavery first, of course. And then come here for another small step in the consciousness development process. Dr. Akbar's books aren't about depth; they are about sparking you to seek that depth and to want that depth.
on March 9, 2007
I was a little reluctant to give a review of this book. My hesitation was due to the mixed emtoions I had after finishing it. One part of me wanted to go out and ask my "white" brothers and sisters if they even care about what is going on in the minds of their "black" brethren and how, even though they were not slave owners themselves, most of them continue to personify the self-proclaimed superiority that was the staple of the horrible act of slavery. Yet, on the other hand, after recognizing that I could be moved to such a thought I came to a profound realization: though I have come a long way from te ghettos of New Orleans, I still see myself as a victim to some degree. Brothers and sisters, I am here to tell you that we are not victims. This book, though insightful, reinforces and, I believe, indirectly gives validity to the feeling of victimhood that plagues the black community. So, Why did I give it four stars? Well, in order to understand the actions of today one must be willing to look back to the seeds that were sowed that day before. This book does that. But it does not say that we are not victims. YOU, brothers and sisters, are not victims! Again, this book is insightful, but it is easy for one to fall into the pits of anger after reading it. Right now, our race does not need any more anger. What we need is love, and that is something that victims are usually incapable of giving themselves and/or the people around them.
on August 28, 2006
Yes, I am a proud owner of this book, and I must say it is very interesting. With all the knowledge that is coming to light, it is amazing. History does need to be rewritten and retold and through it all we as African Americans can not forget we came from a group of people who were survivors through all this chaos and falsehood. They knew the truth will set you free. God kept them in their faith, and religion separated them. Once religion separated us, we started imitating others cultures and this is where Breaking the chains of Pschological Slavery comes in It mustbe read....