6,712 Reviews
 (3,613)
 (1,185)

4.0 out of 5 stars Needs more Cowbell
To quickly qualify my review - I discovered the Twilight Saga about a month ago, so I have basically read all four books as one 2500-page novel. I'm in my fifties, and the series was recommended to me by a 20 something guy at a bookstore. Bottom line, I can't speak to the young adult audience for whom the saga was written, and I didn't have years between books to ruminate...
Published on August 13, 2008 by Amazon Customer

1,119 of 1,352 people found the following review helpful
1.0 out of 5 stars The Worst Book Ever
While I've been known to exaggerate on occasion, I promise you I'm being completely serious when I say Breaking Dawn is the worst book I have ever read. The writing was atrocious, there was no drama and/or real conflict, and Meyer broke her own rules. Repeatedly.

Let's begin, shall we?

First, the writing itself was a huge problem. It's nearly...
Published on May 29, 2009 by P. Spangler

1,119 of 1,352 people found the following review helpful
1.0 out of 5 stars The Worst Book Ever, May 29, 2009

Let's begin, shall we?

First, the writing itself was a huge problem. It's nearly impossible for me to believe Meyer was an English major in college. Maybe she was technically a literature major, but either way, she should have been exposed to enough decent writing to know how to produce it herself. And if she couldln't produce it from her own head, she probably had enough references to replicate it. Instead, Breaking Dawn reads like a terrible fanfiction. Meyer tends to overuse adjectives and adverbs, but does so in the least descriptive way possible. How did Bella look on her wedding day? I couldn't tell you, since Meyer never bothered to describe her dress other than to say it was satin-y. And how about the rest of the wedding ceremony? There were flowers "everywhere" and everyone looked "amazing." Thanks. I can totally picture that.

Bella is also the ultimate Mary Sue, which doesn't help Meyer's writing skills in my eyes. Bella is SO PERFECT. Everyone LOVES HER. Meyer's lame attempts to make Bella relatable by making her clumsy fall flat (pun intended), because the other characters think injury-prone Bella is adorable. Will Charlie object to Bella Sue getting married at 18? Of course not! Will Bella Sue become the most graceful vampire ever, even though she was the world's clumsiest person? You bet! Bella gets everything she wants in Breaking Dawn and sacrifices nothing.

There was also a conspicuous lack of drama and conflict in what should have been an epic conclusion to a series. As I mentioned above, Bella had no problem convincing Charlie that marrying Edward was the right decision. I was expecting more of an objection from the ol' sheriff. Denied. Jacob does make a small attempt to talk Bella out of turning into a vampire, but what could have been another interesting conversation is brushed aside by Bella. Why would she miss anybody she knew as a human? She'll be with her beloved Edward for all eternity; that's all she needs.

The sexy-time was also lacking. I'm not much of a smut fan, but I was hoping for more than a cheezy "fade to black" when Edward and Bella finally do the deed. After three books of anticipation and denial, Meyer doesn't have the balls to give us more than Bella walking toward Edward in the water. Seriously, Meyer? You can show Bella vomiting "a fountain of blood" but kissing before sex is too shocking? Nothing interesting here, folks.

There is also the issue of Bella's pregnancy. Nowhere in the previous three books, and I mean NOWHERE, did Bella mention a desire to be a mother. But as soon as Edward gets his vampire sperm inside her, she decides that motherhood is the most important thing on Earth. (Inconsistent much, Meyer? Another sign of bad writing!) I was expecting Bella to freak out, get angry at Edward, and blame him for ruining her life when she thought she could never get pregnant! But instead, Bella is inexplicably calm and instantly bonds with her "little nudger." Again, any drama that could have been just melted like an ice cube in Death Valley. The plot floats along...

The previously mentioned "fountain of blood" happens when Bella goes into labor. To make a long and rather gruesome story short, the baby almost kills Bella, and would have, had Edward not turned Bella into a vampire. Bella lays on a table for a couple of days until the venom stops her heart. She's dead! Let the crazed baby vampire gather her bearings! She's dangerous right now! Right? Wrong. Bella Sue is the perfect vampire, so graceful and strong. She requires almost no adjustment time, even though Meyer told us in previous books that new vampires are totally out of control. Again, all conflict nipped in the bud.

This leads us to Meyer breaking her own rules. Bella is totally in control of herself as a new vampire even though, according to Meyer's own words, it's totally normal and EXPECTED to have a lenghty adjustment period. Jasper struggled for years, but Bella gets the hang of things in a day. Of course. Meyer breaks the rules so Bella Sue can have her perfect life.

Meyer also gets into a sticky situation with Bella's pregnancy. According to Meyer, speaking through (I believe) Carlisle, vampires don't have any liquid in their bodies except for their venom. Last time I checked, sperm isn't venomous. Getting Bella pregnant should have been impossible if Meyer followed her own rules! That entire plot device (which only served to give Jacob something to imprint on) was an amateurish cop out that I would expect to find in fanfiction, not a novel written by an adult with a college degree.

Oh yeah, they named the baby Renesmee. Vomit.

And then Jacob imprints on it. Double vomit.

Allow me to backtrack for a second. I forgot to mention another scene that should have been exciting but wasn't: the confrontation with the Volturi. Yep, the leaders are back and they want to kill the Cullens for making an "immortal child." Finally, some action! The Cullens invite some vampire friends to gather at their house and fight the Volturi, which should be the epic conflict we've all been waiting for! Except it most definitely is not. It turns out that Bella has a shield she controls with her mind. All the does is put the sheild around everybody and they're impervious to weapons. The Volturi stand around and talk for a while and then... leave.

Breaking Dawn was a letdown in every sense. Meyer's writing didn't improve (it got worse, actually), there wasn't any tension or action, and a lot of the rules established in the first three books got thrown out the window.

Avoid this book at all costs.

(Note: Don't be fooled by the high number of five-star reviews; a lot of them are two sentences long and say things like, "BELLA AND EDWARD ARE IN LOVE!!!!1!11one" They may very well be, but that doesn't make it a good book.)

1,466 of 1,773 people found the following review helpful
1.0 out of 5 stars So bad, I want to rewrite it myself, June 10, 2009
I started reading this series after I heard a rave review on NPR during their "Guilty Pleasures" segment. The middle-aged gentleman described Twilight with such enthusiasm that I couldn't resist temptation. I bought the four-book set and settled in for a long weekend of reading.

Three days and 2400 pages later, I'd finished the four novels. I adored Twilight, tried not to slap whiny Bella during New Moon, and mostly skimmed through Eclipse trying to get to something interesting. Finally, I got to Breaking Dawn. I have never been so let down by a book in my entire life. I don't even need to go into all the ways that this book was horrible - the other reviewers have done that well. But, here I go anyway:

Wedding - So, Bella's wedding to Edward was not what she wanted, but what she was willing to trade for sex and immortality. The wedding itself was not her vision and in no way represented their unique love, but was instead a fantasy created fully by Alice's vision.

Honeymoon - Meyer is telling us that sex is scary and awful. You will have a lot of pain your first time and your husband, who puts you up on a pedestal, will hate himself for "hurting" you, no matter how yummy delicious it is. Oh, and once you do get some, it's pretty much the only thing you'll want, and your new hubby will reject you, mercilessly, due to his own hang ups. Woo! I gotta get me some of that!

Also, how come it's either a little french kissing or sex? How come no one ever talks about alllll that space in between those two extremes? What a perfect place for her to talk about sex and the implications of it, especially given her target audience.

Pregnancy - You will get pregnant the very first time you have sex. Pregnancy is the most horrible state you will ever experience. It will be stunningly painful as your body is taken over by something that hurts you, and tries to kill you, and eventually chews its way out of you. The bloodbath of child birth is fine - but it says a lot, to me, about Meyer that she can't write the sex, but can write the gore. Or maybe it's about society, and not Meyer at all. Take your pick.

Renesmee - Say it out loud. I dare you. Look, I get what Meyer was trying to convey here about the beauty of having a child, the connection that a newborn's family feels to the child and how fleeting childhood is. But come on! The massive gaps in logic and leaps of faith it takes you to get here are stunning. Stunning. And impossible.

Jacob - Sigh. Poor Jacob. This boy never had an ounce of pride, he submitted it all to Bella, only to find himself a pedophile in the end. How utterly freaking awful. (and yeah, I tried to go with the whole "it's fiction, not pedophilia" but I just couldn't get there. It was creepy.)

The Cullens - Who? No seriously though, Edward had a family? Where were they after page 150?

Renee and Charlie - So, while Renee has been the primary parent and the person that Bella is closest to for the entire series, suddenly she's just...absent. Laaaame. And suddenly Charlie is Bella's first concern, but we've been given absolutely nothing by way of character development to buy into this. Again, I say: Come on!

Editing: Look, I don't know who edited this book, but ZOMG! fire that person. There were so many errors it was distracting. Dialog tagging: use it. Also, adverbs are not your friends. If Bella "shyly" does one more thing, I'm going beat her with her own arm. If you have to tell us that people are chuckling, giggling, that their eyes are "tightening" (wth does that even mean?) then you're failing at description. If you must tell and not show, read some Willa Cather. She gets away with it. You don't. So stop.

Tone: I'm guessing that Meyer took a break from Twilight land to write "The Host" and that's why the entire tone of this novel is off. It just doesn't even sound like it was written by the same person.

At the end of this novel, I wanted to rewrite the whole thing myself. I wanted to see why Bella decided that she would marry Edward. I wanted her to give a damn about the wedding and see some reverence in it. I wanted to see a real deepening in her relationship with Alice. I wanted Esme to be more than just a paper doll mother figure. I wanted a real, honest to goodness sex scene that lived up to three freaking novels worth of some of the steamiest kisses ever. I wanted Bella to pay a price for some of her choices. I wanted that epic battle with the Volturi to actually happen. I wanted someone to die. Meyer cheated us out of the thoughtful endings that we get when good triumphs over evil. That's what makes life sweet, and makes us appreciate what we have - working for it, sacrificing for it.

Bella would have actually wanted to marry Edward. She would have cared about the decorations and Alice would have developed into a real sister, and not some overblown party planner. There would have been real sex - not smutty, but real, nonetheless. Pregnancy would have disappeared. Bella would have had to make the choice - between having babies and having Edward. She would have been cruel to be kind and given Jacob his freedom. Jacob would have grown and gotten over her, and moved on and found real love with someone who loved him back - maybe even Leah, since that ground was laid pretty well. Bella would have spent months being a newborn, filled with nothing but bloodlust. Jessica would be her first victim. The Cullens would have worked tirelessly to help her transform, and we could have gotten to know them all so much better. Rosalie might have died, doing something selfless for once in her life. That would have been doubly meaningful if Meyer rewrites the whole series from Edward's POV (ala Midnight Sun, which in rough draft form is head and shoulders better than Breaking Dawn.) Bella would have to give up Charlie and Renee for a while, but eventually they would be able to be in her life, altho in a much more limited way. There are a million possibilities that could have had a very nice happy ending, with a bit of bitter thrown in with the sweet.

Meyer is a great storyteller and an okay writer. If she gets a better editor and learns some discipline, she could be very good. I found this particular book to be a total betrayal of the earlier books, which is why my review is so harsh. Overall, I hope she keeps going, and I *really* hope she keeps going with Midnight Sun, which so far, I love.

1.0 out of 5 stars Just, wow., September 30, 2008
At the time, I was 12, and I had seen Twilight in book stores hundreds of times. I had never paid it any attention until one day I finally decided to read it. I had read the back cover, but it wasn't too informative, but I did gather the fact that it was typically about vampire love. So, against my better judgment, I thought "Well, if I've seen it this many times it MUST be good."

The beginning of Stephenie Meyer's writing leaves so much to be desired. In all of her books, for the first 150-200 pages I am bored out my mind, wishing for SOMETHING exciting to happen. I remember reading Twilight and being at least a hundred pages in and not caring about any of the characters at all. If they all decided to jump off a bridge I doubt I would have batted an eyelash. But then, something that changes the entire story occurs and it finally gets interesting 'till the point where I just can't put the book down. That is, until Breaking Dawn. I remember being at page 107, and looking at the 550-600 more pages I had to read and feeling like breaking down and crying. I wanted to chuck the book out the window and just have my friends fill me in on what happened, because I was just sick of it all. I had to force myself to read what I did, and every five minutes or so I got distracted by something around me because the book just couldn't hold my attention.

In Twilight, I instantly liked Edward because of what I thought he'd be, but then later I realized I got his personality all wrong. I imagined he'd be . . . I don't know, different. Deep, meaningful, calm, cool, collected. Not some overactive stalker. (He said to her face that when she got to Forks he WATCHED her SLEEP. I mean, mega ew much?) Bella, I hardly had much of an opinion on until much later. She wasn't strong enough for me to respect, didn't have enough of a personality for me to like, and wasn't practical or smart enough for me to even comprehend. Her boyfriend was a freakin VAMPIRE, and she's totally fine with that. She wasn't terrified, or even the slightest bit nervous, which makes no sense. Think about it for a second: If your boyfriend is a VAMPIRE, would you be THAT cool about it? You wouldn't be scared at all, when a month ago the thought of a vampire existing would have you laughing at the absurdity? But here, Bella is introduced to a world of vampires and werewolves and she's pretty much chill with it all.

Um, where's the conflict? Where's the "OMG YOU'RE A VAMPIRE?" Where's the "Ohmygoodnesswhatonearthisgoingon?" panic attack? Vampires and werewolves don't just waltz into everyday life and I expected at least SOME kind of resentment or hesitation Bella would have for Edward. But oh no, that would make too much sense.

In New Moon, I had the slight hope that maybe through the course of the series Meyer would have Bella grow and develop into a strong, wonderful and mature character. Sadly, she didn't. To the very end, Bella remains a selfish, impractical, and illogical girl who for the life of me I can't stand. Jacob was the only one with a sliver of a complex personality. He had a goal and did everything in his power to achieve it, and throughout the books you saw the different faces of his personality. Everyone else's personality could just be classified with one or two descriptions.

I won't even get into Eclipse, because I can never remember what it was about.

[Spoilers]

Okay, from the beginning. What was with that wedding? The wedding was something I was actually EXCITED about. I thought "Oh, wow, I wonder how Alice is going to out due herself." Honestly, I don't even remember what anything looked like. Weren't the colors white and blue? That's probably wrong, but then again that's Stephenie Meyer's horrible descriptions at work. Most of the time I just imagine what everything and everyone looks like for myself. I didn't even KNOW Alice had spiky hair until the third book when Bella patted her head. "What? Alice has spiky hair? Since when?" And I didn't have a single clue as to what Jasper looked like besides that he had golden eyes and was blonde, and then after Bella becomes a vampire they mention his scars. Oh, and there's also the fact that Rosalie is gorgeous. Well, come on now, how descriptive is that? Gorgeous HOW? Like, pretty pretty model gorgeous? Or sophisticated gorgeous? Or seductress gorgeous? Meyer, come on girl, surely you can be more creative than just using vague descriptions about people.

Now, the honeymoon was nice and all, something I thought she could have skipped until I saw the purpose it held. Bella gets pregnant! Oh joy! Oh hell. She's 19, and she gets pregnant. What kind of message was Stephenie Meyer trying to send to the young audience that reads her books? At least Edward had the decency to call Carlisle and assure Bella they would get Nessie out of her. (I am going to call her Nessie, because I think Renesmee is a hideous name and Meyer should be slapped for even considering it for the girl.) But what does Bella do? She stops him. She suddenly gets an overpowering sense of maternal instincts and wants to keep her baby. Bella didn't even really like children, and before then she never had the slightest thought about wanting one. But now, she's suddenly ready to die for this thing that's sucking the life out of her. In plain text, Bella isn't the motherly type. I wouldn't trust her to take care of my dog, let alone a baby. Isn't this the same Bella who did dangerous stunts to hear a voice in her head? Isn't this the same Bella who, on a whim, thought it was fine to jump off a cliff in a rainstorm? Being pregnant doesn't magically make you a mom, or magically make you mature. It makes you utterly terrified. No matter whom you are or how old, for any woman who gets pregnant, her first instinct is to have her mom there at all times. But does Bella call Renee? Nope, she calls Rosalie. ROSALIE, PEOPLE. That makes SO much sense.

Another point about Nessie: Wasn't she just the PERFECT baby? I mean, she was disgustingly perfect. I mean, when at all did Bella ever show any true motherly characteristics? I was surprised at Meyer, because she actually does have children, and I wondered what she was thinking when she wrote about Nessie. When did Bella ever feel the horrible strain that comes with taking care of a baby? Nessie was way too perfect. There was no constant feedings every two hours, there was no changing diaper after diaper, there was no shopping for baby clothes and supplies, there was no Nessie waking up at 3 AM and crying - which was a surprise, considering the head-board destroying sex Bella and Edward have every night. You'd think it would wake her up - and there was not much of anything. The only time Nessie cried was when she wanted Bella, which I thought was just plain ridiculous. (So what, she never wanted Edward?) Now, I understand that sometimes there IS such a thing as a quiet baby. I was one myself, and I never cried unless something was wrong with me, but there is no baby that just doesn't cry at all unless it wants its mom. That just doesn't happen. (Did anyone else feel Alice's statement that Nessie had never been set down in her life laughable? When I read that, I didn't know whether to fall out my chair laughing or give myself a face-palm and chuck the book into the dirt where it belonged. Honestly, I was surprised Nessie could even walk.)

May we move on to Jacob's point of view? I thought it was going to be, like, Jacob traveling the world from Canada to Mexico to South America to Greece and such on a spiritual journey to find himself and realize that he really, really didn't need Bella. But again, I was wrong and expected too much. No, instead he hangs around Forks, determined to stay with Bella until she has her monster baby and they turn her into a vampire. Oh, but there's a solution! They can abort the baby, and then Jacob can have a baby with Bella the NORMAL way, so Bella can still have a child. Btw, this was Edward's idea. Btw, Jacob agreed.

Ew, much. Ew on so many levels.

But I guess Bella isn't THAT sick because he didn't agree. One of the smartest moves she's made this whole series.

Another thing, I hated how Bella skipped the newborn stage. I was actually excited about that, wishing, praying that Bella would turn evil and start killing off humans. Wouldn't that be so interesting?! Her, the heroine, suddenly becoming the evil villain, using her vampire powers for her evil deeds. And wouldn't it have been beautiful if the Cullens and Blacks and Volturi and whatnot had to, oh goodness, KILL her to preserve the secret and save humanity? I would have loved Meyer if anything remotely relating to that had happened. But, as I've learned, I always expect this woman to redeem herself and the whole series be worthwhile, only to be continually disappointed.

So, why did Bella skip the newborn stage? Oh right, because it was her state of mind. She didn't WANT to be one, therefore she WASN'T. Because Bella is SPESHUL, therefore she can DEFY the natural laws Meyer has set up. But since Meyer just wants all her characters to be happy, even if it means doing so in the most illogical ways, she decided to have the most sugar-coated fairytale ending I'd ever read in my life that wasn't in picture book.

So, Bella gets everything she wants, including Edward, a baby, a family, immortality and tons and tons of sex? Check. Jacob has someone, even though she's 2 months old and it makes him a pedo? Check. The Volturi are defeated without actually engaging them in battle, causing the most depressing let-down in the history of potential battle scenes ever? Check. Sugar cakes and muffins and gummy bears rain from a glittering sky and Carebears run frolicking through the meadows of innocence as the final ending? Check. Well, well, Meyer, you've outdone yourself if I do say so myself.

2.0 out of 5 stars Another dissapointed customer, November 17, 2009
Okay so I have to add my 2 cents . . .

I'm a 31 year old woman and I loved the first three books. The story of Edward and Bella's blossoming love in Twilight was wonderful and sucked me right in despite a few flaws in the book. The heartbreak of New Moon was real and absolutely in character for our stubborn Edward and over dramatic Bella. The emotional war in Eclipse was understated but fascinating. And then, I was hugely disappointed with Breaking Dawn.

I will try here to put my finger on why. SPOILERS TO FOLLOW.

The actual plot of the book and what happens doesn't bother me as much as how the author explains it to us. I think that I could have dealt with the pointless honeymoon, the horrible birth, the weird baby, Bella's easy transition into vampire life, and the anti-climactic confrontation with the Volturi, if the book had continued to explore Edward and Bella (and even Jacob) in a meaningful way. As other reviewers have mentioned, it seems like this book was written with the plot driving the characters rather than the characters driving the plot, as with the other books.

So here's what I didn't like:

Bella's embarrassment over her new car was cute but her hatred of the wedding was getting old. I do understand the fear of attention and her outwardly harsh statements about all the fuss, but internally, between the reader and Bella, there should have been more complex feelings about why she is doing this and feeling this way. A glimmer of understanding that she is being a bit silly even though she cannot overcome her fear and act according to the social norm. But she just whines with seemingly no concern for what it does to Edward.

The wedding itself was fine, I'm not bothered by her lack of description. I was prepared to deal with her mediocre writing skills and fill in with my imagination because, usually, her characters make up for it. Jacobs showing up was interesting and a dramatic foreshadowing to the drama ends up happening with the sex and baby.

The honeymoon night was terribly disappointing and not because she did not give us a sex scene. We didn't need to "see" the sex (the painful details) but this moment between them should have been a reflection of all of the yearning and torture that they had suffered. It should have been a kind of culmination of everything that they'd been through, but instead it was insulting. Bella doesn't even remember what happened. She just knows that her body liked it and that she felt no pain. It sounds like she blocked it out of her memory because it was frightening. The author should have given us a poignant summary through Bella's thoughts without describing the act because HOW they made love for the first time is important. Did Edward start out tender and then lose control slowly? Did he just snap and throw her on the bed to ravish her with barely restrained violence? And here's a crazy thought (I know we women like to be taken but. . .) why not have Bella take charge while Edward concentrates on staying in control? It seems like an awful lot to ask of him to let go and remain in command of himself at the same time. But no, we get nothing but more of Edward's self-loathing and Bella's irritation that he can't just get over it. Bella doesn't even try to understand how hard it must have been for him. But then again, she wasn't even paying attention apparently.

Bella getting pregnant did not bother me. I have no problem with the liberties that the author took with vampire lore. All a vampire needs is some way to transfer his essence to the woman so that her body can do the rest. Strict biology aside, this is not hard to imagine this in the world of fantasy. What did bother me was the needless torture heaped upon Edward again. How much does this boy have to suffer anyway? He already hates himself for bruising Bella during sex even though a little rough sex hardly makes him a monster, but then he has to deal with this horrifying baby killing the woman he just married. Is it any wonder he went crazy in this book?

And here we come to another problem. While I enjoyed hearing Jacob's voice, I think that the perspective hurt the characters of Bella and Edward. I get that Edward did not show his frenzied state to Bella so only Jake could tell us about that but Jake doesn't spend an awful lot of time dwelling on what Ed's going through like Bella would have, so we lose Ed in this section. Jake tries to tell us that Ed is absolutely insane at this point, which is why Ed suggests offering Jake as a stud, but the depth of his despair is lost on many readers and they think Ed's request is out of character. I think that readers were expected (rightly or wrongly) to really get into Ed's head by themselves in order to understand his perspective. Relying solely on Jake's words and thoughts is a mistake but one which author left open for readers to make.

Also, because of Jake's perspective, Bella comes off as crazy. She coldly disregards everyone's advice because she's suddenly obsessed with protecting the child. If we had been in Bella's head, perhaps we would have understood her motivations better, but instead she becomes an uncharacteristically brainless b**ch.

The birth was horrifying and the transformation was completely unromantic. Yes, shattering our idealistic notion of how Edward would change Bella was unforgivable. I wouldn't have minded her bloody body and the syringe to the heart so much if we had been able to follow Edward around with a bit more tenderness as he bit her again and again, desperately injecting more and more of his venom. Again Jake's perspective ruined the moment.

Okay, yes, the baby's name is stupid but what gets me is that the child is creepy. She just takes over. Everyone obeys her and no one thinks that is strange. Nessie scares the crap out of me and that ruins the whole effect of the baby. Besides, neither Bella nor Edward really respond to the child that well. They'd much rather be in the bedroom so the child is actually more of an inconvenient distraction until she gets her claws on you and you become mush in her little evil hands [shudder].

Jake imprinting on the baby is therefore disturbing. I love Quil and Claire and I totally get the platonic nature of imprinting on a child, but Jake just becomes a slave to the evil demon child. It's not cute, it's just convenient. Jake should have imprinted or fallen in love with Leah. They have both been broken by people who they loved who had "imprinted" on someone else. They are perfect for one another. And here's a thought, how about having them actually fall in love with each other rather than being suddenly linked by magic? Their natural bond (which would have been similar to Bella and Jacob's if Ed had not returned) could have been a touching counter point to everyone else's magical love. It could have been nearly as beautiful as Bella and Edward's love. Jake could have been deservingly happy with a love based on mutual respect and understanding. And they would have bred strong wolf pups, perfect!

I don't have an issue with Bella's gift of self-control. She was always overly protective of everyone and didn't want anyone to get hurt so being able to control her blood lust is a fitting gift. However, the protective shield and being able to share her mind with Ed was just too much. I was already sickened by the all too perfect wrap up of Bella, Edward, and Jake, and then we have to make her a super vampire on top of it all. Gag!

And then Bella's new vampire life with Edwards is relatively boring so let's have another vampire fight, shall we? The confrontation with the Volturi was exclusively for tying up loose ends and lacked any drama because I knew that they would just find a way to explain the baby, like Bella wanted to in the first place, and all would be well. Bella and Edward's dread over them never concerned me.

So, basically, I think that the downfall of the book is that we loose the Bella and Edward that we love. This is due to forcing of the wrap-up plot which lacked the opportunity for Bella and Edward to emotionally conclude their tale with the reader. This was then exacerbated by the section from Jacob's perspective that has zero purpose if nothing happens with Leah. Edward would have been a more appropriate narrator for that section. He could have just read Jake's mind and told us about the episode with Sam and his breaking the Alpha chains. We would then have been more emotionally tied to what was happening with Bella and Edward rather that just horrified. Maybe then we could have come to terms with what actually happens.

1.0 out of 5 stars A senseless end to an over-praised series, July 16, 2009
I read Twilight and hated it, but since my friend loaned me the entire series, I decided to be as fair as possible and read the set. Wow. With specific regards to this particular installment, I can't say I was disappointed because my expectations were abominably low, but I was nevertheless surprised. It didn't seem to fit. Whereas Bella was whiny, obsessive, rather stupid, and really quite selfish and mean in the way she treated everyone but Edward (the first 3 installments), she finally developed some redeeming qualities in this book. All she had to do was become a vampire. Unfortunately, these qualities were so utterly out of character that I had a hard time believing any of it. Suddenly the incomprehensible klutz was graceful "even for a vampire." Her, um, "passions" were raging out of control, except the ones that should have been raging out of control (aka blood lust). She had an unusual and never explained sense of control over those passions, which doesn't fit the girl who was put in a catatonic state because her high school obsession of a couple months dumped her; the very same that fainted at a drop of blood and held her "splitting sides" in when she thought about Edward. She epitomized an obsessive lack of control over the mind, much less her ever-imperiled body. She was able to pick up on and figure out clues much too quickly for someone so dense, and yet other times, she was stupider than ever ("what? my immunity from other vampires is a gift? slow down, I don't understand..."). I won't linger on the absolute absurdity of Meyer's feigned science (the terrible miscalcuations in Bella's gestation... if 1 day= 2 weeks, she should have delivered by the time she found out she was pregnant; the chromosomal incompatibilities, the fact that love-making itself requires circulation, or the fact that even making sperm is still a cyclic, ongoing process that a vampire stuck in time should not have been able to accomplish). I will say that dragging Dr. Cullen's scientific musings into the story only pulled me further out of the magic and pointed out the ludicrousness of each assertion. The largest problem with this book is that it was... boring. Nothing really happened. There was never any real fear of Bella not surviving childbirth, especially when there were still hundreds of pages left to go. The fight with the Volturi was tediously built up with such an anti-climatic resolution that I felt I'd waded through hundreds of pointless pages to get to nothing. Somebody (many) should have died, but nobody of consequence did, and I knew while reading that Meyer wouldn't have the stomach to do it, which further reduced any suspense. The way that Bella abused Jacob was abominable, and the clean (?), simple, resolution to that, void of any consequence, felt disingenuous. In short, everything was wrapped up and presented with a bow on top, and it severely hampered the book. There was no real growth in Bella- she went from being pointlessly useless with no other aspirations in life than to have sex with Edward and become a vampire, to miraculously saving the day for everyone. All of this came at absolutely no cost or sacrifice to anyone; everything worked out even better than hoped for. I realize this is a YA novel, and maybe that's what Meyer was going for: young teens will read this and see that you can have your cake and eat it too, and here are some sprinkles for that cake and may I get you a glass of milk? Be irresponsible, sluff off school, let your boyfriend sleep over every night, lie to your parents, do as many stupid things as humanly possible, treat your friends like crap, and not only will everything work out for you, but one day you'll just magically wake up a gorgeous, mature, talented and wise adult with everything you ever hoped for. Truly, this is a fairy tale.

1.0 out of 5 stars Boring, fails to use logic. Lacks in character interest., August 4, 2008
Okay, I know I'm probably going to get comments over me saying that the book has no logic. Yes I am well aware that the whole series based around the fantasy of vampires and werewolves etcetera. I can't get past the fact that Stephenie Meyer broke the rules of her own world while writting this novel. Numerous times in interviews she has stated that it is impossible for her vampires to have children, and that once turned into a vampire all of their bodily fluids are replaced by venom.

As reading this book I felt like all the elements circulated through the other three novels were thrown out the window, the characters for the most part were boring, Edward lost his charm, Bella went from being obsessed with Edward to obsessed with their child, and Rosalie flipped into a motherly role that just seemed out of place (I know Rosalie's backstory and that she wanted to have children, I understand the way SMeyer was probably trying to go with getting Rosalie involved). If SMeyer was going to get Rosalie put into this motherly role then where was Esme? Last time I checked she had a yearn to bear her own children as well. As an author, SMeyer developed a seemingly okay plotline but just didn't expand on it enough. It felt as though it was rushed in the end.

The "explanation" of how Bella got pregnant was also put to fault later in the novel, when a Amazonian vampire explains how his father is trying to create a superior race by impregnating human females with his children. How would this even be possible if, when using SMeyer's logic. She explains that Edward was able to get Bella pregnant was because he was a virgin and that he still had sperm in his system from when he was turned 100+ years ago. With that said, vampire males couldn't create more sperm, so how could this Amazonian vampire keep going around and impregnating human females?

After the birth of "Nessie" the book took a downward spiral and was nothing more than a borefest, everything just seemed to happen without any conflict whatsoever. Bella easily shifted into vampire life without any problems, she was able to care for her baby, keep her friendship with Jacob, and even was able to "slightly" let Charlie in on her secret. Even at the end of the story, we are led up to believe that there is going to be a fight between the Volturi and the Cullen coven along with other covens who agreed to support their cause. What you think is going to be a fight just turns into pages and pages of endless drabble between the Volturi and members of the Cullens' defensive, and in the end lead Volturi member Aro agrees to let them be and he leads the rest of the Volturi on their way, so Bella and Edward could now begin their "happily ever after." Where in the last pages Bella finally allows Edward to see inside her mind, one of the features that drew him towards he at the beginning of Twilight.

What disappoints me the most is that this novel had potential, it seems to me that in anything SMeyer writes she has a generally good idea but can never expand on it. Breaking Dawn seems to me as though it was completely rushed, and that she just finished writing it because she had to. Not to mention I am curious as to what happened to the editors in this book. Has SMeyer ever heard of a thesaurus? I have never seen an author overuse the words "chagrin" and "dazzle" as much as she does. I am honestly curious as to how any editor would allow the sentence "He was both dazzling and dazzled" be put into print.

Lastly, I find it really sad that there are so many people giving this a five-star review just because it is a SMeyer novel. Yes, it is nice to have loyalty but please a poorly written book is still a poorly written book no matter who writes it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Can I give it zero stars?, December 12, 2008
GeekGirl (Chicago Illinois) - See all my reviews
UGH. This whole series was a travesty really, but like any good masochist I plodded through. By the time I got to Breaking Dawn I knew I was in it just for the laughs but sadly, it failed in that department too. I can honestly say this is one of the few books in my life that I've literally had to refrain from throwing against the wall in sheer frustration. There are just so many things WRONG here that it's hard to sum them all up succinctly.

Reasons why this thing almost ended up as wall fodder ( **warning, spoilers below**)

1. Our heroine barely out of high school really REALLY wants to have sex with her sparkly boyfriend. Okay, whatever. There's a catch though. Sparkly boyfriend wants to wait until marriage. Bella doesn't want to get married, in fact the idea utterly repulses her. But sparkly boyfriend just won't let it go and our fearless heroine ends up "caving" because she really, really wants the sex that badly. The whole "engagement" scene amounts to Bella trying to jump him and getting denied, then accepting the ring with a lackluster "sigh....FINE. If that's what It takes to get laid then I'll do it. Give me the ring that I don't want to wear already, damn!!" Really Steph?? That's the best you can do for two people who are supposedly passionately in love?! Nice.

2. Oh and screw college while you're at it. Because who needs an education when your ultimate goal in life is to marry a rich vampire and spend 24/7 with him. What a message to send to your target audience.

3. The Pregnancy. This has to be the saddest excuse of pro-life propaganda disguised as sexy YA fiction ever. If that's your cup of tea then great, you'll really like the first half of this book. If not then be prepared for massive headaches caused by excessive eye-rolling.

4. The Birth. I find it fascinating that the author tiptoes gently over the whole implied sex thing, yet goes above and beyond (wayyyy above and wayyyy beyond) to make sure the Miracle of Childbirth is depicted in a way that would make the makers of the Saw movie franchise proud. If the readers were expecting no less than a monster bloodaholic baby to come out of this romantic union, then this delivers (no pun intended). I will give Meyers credit in that she definitely has a promising future in the horror/scifi genre.

5. A Dingo Ate My Baby? No honey, that's just the werewolf imprinting himself on the newborn. But the Cullens have more important things to worry about, like keeping Bella away from her newborn lest she find the Bundle of Joy appetizing. To her credit though Bella isn't exactly down with the whole imprinting thing at first. That is, until she realizes that having your kid get engaged to the family dog means a built-in babysitter and thus more time for sex with Edward. Awesome.

6. Vampire p*ssing contest. What happens for the rest of the book is pretty much pointless, as the whole thing gears up to to be one big showdown that never amounts to anything. Basically the leaders of the vampire underworld, the Volturi, aren't down with Bellaward's freaky kid and plot to destroy them all. So the Cullens gather their frenemies to lead into battle Lord of the Rings style. Except the battle doesn't happen, except in Bella's and the Volturi leader's minds. Because now that Bella is a vamp she has super awesome magical powers like an invisible shield that she spreads over the frenemies to protect them from an equally freaky vampire that can make them pretend they are in pain. And then they all live happily ever after. Not joking.

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrid - horrid writing - horrid story, August 24, 2008
SPOILERS HEREIN!!!
First let me say that I set aside my sociopolitical objections to the limited goals Meyer set up for girls in the first three books, and I was able to enjoy them quite a bit. But here, Meyer broke all the rules of story construction, and the results are incredibly disappointing. Evidently Stephanie Meyer didn't like the restrictions she had imposed on herself. She didn't like the mythology she had created for vamps, because she certainly didn't stick to them when they boxed her in in BD. She didnt like Bella's human limitations, because those all went out the window when she needed to be flawless. She didn't like the sacrifices Bella would have to make to live as a vampire, because those flew to the four winds when they became inconvenient. She had her family, her memory, her heart, her best friend, her self-control, and a daughter. Hmm. Weren't the first three books about how EVERY ONE of those things would be lost to her if she became a vampire? Doing my best to forget the ABSOLUTELY HORRIFIC role model Bella provided before, the girl in this book is likely the most damaging character to which young girls have been exposed since, well, ever. Not only does Meyer seem to encourage girls to a)worship a guy b)marry and [presumably] give up EVERYTHING for that guy (though MEyer's final book made that handily unnecessary) and c) become a teenage mother, but now I am convinced she is encouraging young girls to wish they could actually become the undead. Oddly, I am more upset about the breaking of all the rules of writing and construction than the terrible pre-victorian life she suggests for Bella. YOU created the stinking world, MEYER! Shame on you for not living within the restrictions of your own creation. Where was your freaking editor? He/She should be tarred and feathered alongside you.

1.0 out of 5 stars Sickening, December 9, 2008
Amanda MD (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
Sorry about the length of this, but I am absolutely livid about this book. I am angry at myself for reading the trash, but exponentially more furious at Stephenie Meyer for writing it. This book is an insult. If you are a fan of the series, over the age of 12 and/or have an IQ above 50, then DO NOT READ THIS BOOK. PLEASE listen to me. Thank God I didn't spend a penny on it.

Everything that made the romance between Edward and Bella so great has absolutely been destroyed. Gone are the cute, innocent teenagers who fall into an impossible romance in the cafeteria. I don't think I can ever read or watch Twilight again. I mean, I always slightly cringed when it was obvious that a modern teenager had nothing to do with any of these books. (ex. "Holy Crow?" Even my GRANDMOTHER doesn't say that.) Or the sometimes over-the-top sappy exposition and dialogue. But I could deal. But this BOOK. It was like watching my childhood stuffed animal get... um, defiled. It was that horrifying.

I understand the concept of author's prerogative, but ANY author has a responsibility to 1) Keep leaps of logic to a minimum, which definitely excludes some weird, mutant child of the corn, 2) Keep the plots and characters consistent throughout the series within the framework which the author has set up, and 3) Follow basic rules of writing and editing a novel designed for an intelligent audience. All 3 of which were shockingly snubbed in Breaking Dawn.

Please, please, please. Do yourself a favor and stop reading at Eclipse, or better yet, at New Moon or Twilight, and fill in the very few blanks for yourself. I will never criticize an author for having an ambiguous ending again. Just click on "Most Helpful Reviews" and you will see the many, many people who feel the same way.

*SPOILERS AHEAD, but you should probably read this part anyway to realize just how awful this book is*

Here are a few of the many, many problems I have with this book:

1) So Edward and Bella get married and that part's pretty cute, even though I think it would have made more sense to transform her first, since that's how they're planning to spend their marriage. They get married at the very beginning of the book, and Bella doesn't even really want to. She agreed because she wants to get laid. Wow, warms the heart.
Then begins the vomit-inducing 700 pages.

2) Edward and Bella have sex. A lot. Effectively ruining the innocence of their cute romance and turning it into some trashy, thinly-veiled-porn novella you buy at the airport. Sex is at the very least alluded to in almost every scene they have together. They like it. We get it.
But that's not the worst part. Even while she is HUMAN. Um, Edward is a creature who literally turns iron into dust and moves as fast as a speeding car without breaking a sweat. And she wants him to have SEX with her as she is?! How the HELL would that be 1) Enjoyable for him, and 2) Not life-threatening for her?! Not only does Bella whine, manipulate, and cry her way into doing this outrageously stupid and selfish thing (totally decimated my respect for her character), but then Edward, totally out of character, gives into her crap and agrees to TRY. TRY?! Why don't I just TRY to juggle chainsaws?! And for what? So she can GET SOME a little bit ahead of schedule? She can't bear to have her first time unless she's worried about Edward breaking her in HALF?! If I was Edward, had Bella even suggested such a thing I would have first laughed myself silly, then run screaming in the other direction from such a reckless lunatic. That whole thing really pissed me off.

3) Pregnant. 17-year-old vampire Edward and 18-year-old human Bella. Ew. Ew. Ew. I can accept the marriage, because Edward will never get older, and they love each other. But when I got to that part, and both of their reactions to it, I wanted to scream I was so angry. It is just so small and stupid, so out of place in the story, and CONTRIVED. Ugh! As so many other people said, I thought it was Fanfiction I was reading, not a published work, let alone from the actual author. I'm curious as to what Meyer was smoking when she thought this was an appropriate plot line. But it got worse. What suspension of disbelief I had left broke, and I became permanently removed from the story. I began to hate Bella, and resent Edward's cardboard characterization.

4) Their weird mutant spawn literally kills Bella slowly. And she couldn't be more thrilled about it.
The fact that Meyer had made the ridiculously immature, but lovable and relatable teenager Bella PREGNANT was bad enough. But then it is with some weird, unknown mutant parasite, that saps all her strength, breaks several of her bones (including her SPINE) and causes various bruises, and makes her drink HUMAN BLOOD. During Bella's pregnancy, I was literally shuddering with disgust on almost every page. That is not an exaggeration. And I'm 19.
No joke, I was rooting for the wolves to attack the Cullens and kill the thing. Bella and Edward's characters fly so far off their character rails that you can't even see them any more. Bella whole-heartedly embraces the thing while it slowly kills her, and Edward does nothing but hopelessly mope about it.

5) The birth and Bella's transformation.
UGGGGHHHH. This was hands-down the most disturbing passage I have ever read. I had to put the book down to take some deep breaths several times out of anger and disgust, and then wrestle with myself about whether or not to keep reading multiple times on one page. My Edward and Bella. Who fell in love as lab partners, and cutely fought because of their stubborn personalities.

Here, Bella, dieing and screaming in agony, vomits blood while the mutant baby inside of her destroys her body, internal organs and spine. Edward uses his teeth to bite the baby out of her uterus. Bella dies and then Edward injects vampire venom into her heart with a syringe.

This is how Bella starts her new life with him. TOTAL Slap. In. The. Face.

I was ready to drive to Arizona, find Stephenie Meyer's house, and burn it down.

6) Renesmee. This is what Bella names their child. Ruh. Nez. May. A combination of Renee and Esme. Seriously?

Seriously, Stephenie Meyer?

Why didn't you just sell a book that just says, "To all my fans: F%*# YOU."

When Bella tells her father that the baby's middle name is Carlie, I thought, "well, that's not so bad." Then she says that it's a combination of "Charlie" and "Carlisle."

Again, I considered driving to Arizona.

7) Bella as vampire. One of the things that made this series so great was how seemingly-impossible and different the relationship with her and Edward was. She literally had to give up her humanity, her family, and her whole life, in order to have a future with him, but she decided that the love of her life was worth it. It's a difficult, heart-breaking choice and I really liked that. But no. All of a sudden, Bella has it all. She is infinitely more beautiful, graceful, powerful, inexplicably becomes supermom at 18, and still retains all the parts of her humanity she was afraid to lose. She has a child, she stays in Forks, and tells her family. There are mentions of her carrying wads of five thousand dollars like it was chump change, which is BEYOND out of character. Waiters "gasp" at her beauty. She also becomes sickeningly vain. Then they run off to a little storybook cottage her new family has just given her for free, and Edward and Bella "make love" in it like rabbits every chance they get. If Bella had any relatability left, especially for teenagers, she lost it. This also applies to the believability of the story as a whole and the complexity of the Twilight characters.

8) Jacob and Renesmee.
Jacob, the cute and friendly guy (but also rapist-in-training in Eclipse) who is painfully in love with and loyal to Bella, imprints (falls in love with) on her newborn BABY. This is beyond sick and pedophilic. But it's ok. He's willing to "share" the baby with Bella and Edward. Bella and Edward quickly realize this whole thing is great. WHAT the F#*%?!

If it weren't bad enough that this annoyingly perfect child that absolutely everyone in the book ADORES exists, she is destined to be with JACOB. At the end of the book, Edward calls Jacob SON. I just shuddered again WRITING that.

9) The climax, or lack thereof.
After several stupid and pointless pages, and GIANT letdowns with weak plotlines about secret messages and hidden motives that go nowhere, nothing happens. Bella puts up her magical, super-scary mental shield around everyone and all of a sudden the infinitely powerful and wizened vampire royalty runs away, peeing their pants.

In conclusion, Breaking Down is not only literary trash that should have returned from the editor's office soaked in red ink, but it also completely destroys the story as a whole. It makes me sick to my stomach what this book did to Edward and Bella in my mind and everyone else's. I will never read a single page of this absolute rubbish again, and hopefully I'll forget about it in a few years. I pray this book will never make it into theaters.

Do yourself a favor and don't buy this.

1.0 out of 5 stars "UGH!" as Bella Would Say., September 22, 2008
Lenoir (Upstate New York) - See all my reviews
By tradition, I have to say SPOILERS ALERT here. By opinion, I have to say the book is spoiled already.

I don't think I've ever seen a worse case of missed opportunity than Breaking Dawn. While I practically ate up the previous three novels - especially the first one - I had to force myself to even finish this last installment. Twilight was unquestionably the best of the series, and while the following two novels were interesting, I don't think I'm the only one who could see a steady decline in storytelling, leading up to this extremely disappointing conclusion to the series.

The first three novels set up a scenario with, I think, four primary things we, the readers, were looking forward to seeing get satisfactorily concluded.

1. BELLA AND EDWARD FINALLY PHYSICALLY CONSUMMATING THEIR RELATIONSHIP.

Wow, were we ever strung along through 3 thick books of desire and denial, passion and restraint with these two characters. Didn't we look forward to some level of intimacy being introduced in this finale? But what do we get? A barely-insinuated get-together with a rather rapid fade to black, then it's the next morning for them. I had to go back a few pages, thinking, "Wait... What? Did they do it or not?" OK, I understand the delicate situation here for a writer, seeing as her audience is primarily a younger generation. But that's no excuse. If you compare this situation to that of the TV series Buffy the Vampire Slayer (and I hate to, as it insults that show), which was also begun aimed at a young, teenage audience, the writers realized that as that show grew and matured over time, so did its audience, and thus, the show gradually became more adult in its themes. Stephenie Meyer had the perfect opportunity here of giving young girls some hint of what they should expect from newly discovered intimacy, and how they should be treated in such a situation. She could have handled it subtly - at least have a passionate kissing scene leading into the fade to black. Something MORE than the bland, empty scene we got. But apparently she thought that would be too mature for her audience.

Yet having a scene where Edward bites through the fetal sack of Bella's bone-crushing parasite baby, with blood splattered all over the place was better?

2. EDWARD MAKING BELLA A VAMPIRE.

Again, we were strung along. Bella pleaded for this through three novels. She insisted it be Edward who make her one of them, thus setting up the idea that, despite the fact becoming a vampire would be very painful for her, all of that would be preceded by some intense and passionate moment where he actually bites her. Isn't this the whole point of a romantic vampire novel? The girl actually and finally gets bitten?! I think we were also curious as to how that would play out. Would he be able to control himself and not kill her when he did this?

Instead, what did we get? Edward injecting her with a venom-filled hypodermic, after a particularly horrid scene of childbirth.

3. SEEING WHAT BELLA WOULD BE LIKE AS A VAMPIRE.

We were led up to this point, with the warnings she might be a monster. I don't know about you, but I was looking forward to seeing sweet, clumsy, awkward Bella becoming a complete nut for a while. I thought it also plausible - and even a fascinating idea - that she might become the major threat in the last novel. The "villain". How cool might that have been? The Volturi would come to try and stop her, but with her powers of resistance, even they would have a difficult time bringing her under control...

Instead, Bella was tame, unaffected. In fact, she became BORING. Or maybe just MORE so.

4. DECISIONS, DECISIONS. WOULD BELLA CHOOSE EDWARD OR JACOB?

There was really no question she'd choose Edward, but what would happen to Jacob? How would that be resolved? Would he give himself over to the wild completely, or die to resolve this?

The answer we got: Have him imprint on Bella's BABY, for crying out loud! Even though we'd previously been given the distinct impression he'd already imprinted on Bella, and there was no way around that.

CONCLUSION: I have a hard time imagining how true fans of this series were happy with this last novel. Even the characters didn't seem like themselves, to the sad point where I felt like the chemistry between Bella and Edward was completely dead. As I was reading this book, I sometimes wondered if some other (bad) author had written it, because it was just so incredibly inconsistent with the character development, wit, and dialog style of the previous books. (It's really suspicious to me how many people have said it's like SMeyer didn't even write it, especially considering another novel by her was released about the same time. Have we been duped?) It makes me sick to think of all the GOOD writers out there being rejected repeatedly by publishing companies, while this tripe goes through and SMeyer gets rich off of it. There is no justice.

MY RECOMMENDATION: Quit with the first novel, Twilight. Pretend that last scene in it is Edward biting her and just drop it.

Addendum: My sympathies go out to the screenwriters who had to deal with this garbage and turn it into a script.

Breaking Dawn
Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer (Paperback - 2008)
Used & New from: $0.01