5.0 out of 5 stars Compelling Secret Service History with Real Life Intertwined, May 6, 2013
This review is from: Breaking Tecumseh's Curse: The Real-life Adventures of the U.S. Secret Service Agent Who Tried to Change Tomorrow (Paperback)
As the daughter of a Secret Service agent, I remember the exact day that I realized what my Father's job really was - to die for someone else! I bought this book hoping to learn more about the Secret Service and specifically the history of Tecumseh's Curse. I was not disappointed. Exceptionally researched history was intertwined with the side of the story that many American citizens don't think about - the human side of these Secret Service Agents who pledge to protect the President at all costs. A great read, well written and easy to follow for a history afficionado as well as a lay person. I recommend this book for anyone interested in Secret Service History, the History of Tecumseh's Curse, as well as personal accounts of the times.

5.0 out of 5 stars WELL DONE, April 29, 2013
I FOUND THIS TO BE EXTREMELY WELL WRITTEN AND VERY INFORMATIVE. I HAVE HAD MORE THAN ONE CONTACT WITH AGENTS, BOTH PROFESSIONALY AND PERSONALLY. I NEVER KNEW MUCH ABOUT THEIR RESPONSIBILITIES, OTHER THAN THE POTUS PROTECTION. I NOW KNOW THROUGH THIS BOOK THERE ARE SO MANY FACETS OF THE SECRET SERVICE THAT ARE VERY MUCH BEHIND WHAT THE PUBLIC SEE'S. THE INFORMATION WAS VERY WELL PRESENTED BY THE AUTHOR IN A MANNER THAT DISPLAYED HER EMOTIONS AND THE EFFECT THE POSITION HAD ON THE FAMILY'S QUALITY OF LIFE.IT ALSO SHOWED THE CHARACTER AND INTEGRITY OF THE SPECIAL AGENT'S.
I WAS IMPRESSED WITH THE BOOK TO THE POINT I FOUND IT DIFFICULT TO PUT DOWN. I ALWAYS WANTED TO KNOW WHERE THE NEXT CHAPTER TOOK ME. IN CONCLUSION, EXCELLENT READING.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Secret Service book for the enthusiast (like me)!, April 16, 2013
Vince Palamara (South Park/Bethel Park, PA) - See all my reviews
As someone very much interested in the history of the Secret Service (and the author of a forthcoming book on the same subject), I was most interested to see just what this book had to offer. Well, let me tell you: I was not disappointed. Well written and structured, this volume does a nice job conveying the author's journey in the agency, among other things. I was glad to see former Reagan SAIC Robert DeProspero mentioned (as he is in Del Wilber's and Joe Petro's books), as he is a favorite of mine, but I digress. Buy this one asap!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very enlightening!, June 2, 2014
Jan Ritter's new book, "Breaking Tecumseh's Curse" unveils in a written narrative style the operations of many federal law enforcement agencies, as her husband continues his quest to become a Secret Service Agent. The book is factual and intriguing----A MUST READ!

~William Heath

5.0 out of 5 stars Breaking Tecumseh's Curse, February 13, 2014
You must read this very compelling story of two young people and their exciting journey together, Jan, an educator, and Bob, a Special Agent with the U. S. Secret Service. This wife's perspective of life married to a Secret Service Agent is written with humility, honesty, and with a sharp eye on events of the day and their impact on marriage and children. It is a fast and fascinating read, riddled with history lessons and informative background on various locations and historical figures, particularly our U. S. Presidents who Secret Service Agents are charged with protecting. Mr. and Mrs. Ritter deserve our thanks for sharing this personal, heartwarming, and truthful story. And, may I add, I shall be forever grateful to the men and women of the U. S. Secret Service.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent reading!, December 3, 2013
Loved the history behind this story as well as the true giving by two people for the sake of our Country!

5.0 out of 5 stars FASCINATING, FAST, FUN AND FACT FILLED, October 24, 2013
BREAKING TECUMSEH'S CURSE is fascinating, and reads as easily as a novel! BUT it's a historical memoir that i thoughoughly enjoyed.

Written jointly by Bob and his wife Jan Ritter about life in the Secret Service..the intrigue, the strategies, government politics, the history and....their relationship. Little known facts, fun and otherwise, and the 'Tecumseh Curse' are brought to life on these pages that truly fly by as you read. Absorbing and well-written i will gladly pass this book on to another historical book lover.

5.0 out of 5 stars An interesting inside account of recent history, October 6, 2013
Phil Ritter (Palo Alto, CA USA) - See all my reviews
I usually read one fiction and one non-fiction book at the same time, and will grab the latter when I need help getting to sleep. That was a mistake with this book, as it was interesting and compelling enough to keep me up late for the two days it took to read--a page turner of the type I usually associate with fiction. The mixture of contemporary history from a unique insider view with the personal life of the author and her husband was well balanced and keeps the chapters moving. The account of a secret service agent as a real human being and family man contrasts with the common movie portrayals of stoic, even robotic supporting characters. This was an excellent, well-written book that I would strongly recommend. (non) Disclosure: my last name is the same as the authors, but I am not related and have never met them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Breaking Tecumseh's Curse, September 16, 2013
I enjoyed the book very much as it covered periods and law enforcement events that I experienced during my career in that field. I was amazed at the amount of detail in the book. Jan and Bob kept good diaries during their lives to be able to present a very clear picture of the events as they experienced them. I described the book to several of my friends and family members, and they all had similar responses about it. I recommend the book to anyone and was pleasantly surprised at Jan's first book. More to follow?

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent read!, September 13, 2013
At first blush, I thought it was going to take me a while to get through the book. I soon found out that I couldn't put it down, it was a quick read. The history lesson that provided a backdrop to Ritter's days as a Park Police Officer & Special Agent of The USSS was very interesting. I found the details of Ritter's day-to-day duties to be very eye opening. The ongoing history lesson that gave context to Ritter's jobs were particularly educational. I found myself saying one of the following three things to myself: "I was aware of that", "I never knew that" & "I thought I knew that bit of history but I had wrong". I would recommend the book to anyone who is a student of history during that period of time or is interested in the machinations of both the US Park Police & USSS during some very stressful times.

Rate and Discover Movies