Breaking handle My handle has broken now for the third time -- where the top part bolts onto the part that fastens to the mower assembly. First time, had it welded. Second time just used a ton of wire to get by. This time, it broke again on the same side as the weld, although higher. Will probably need to replace the entire handle assembly. Where would I get one locally? Could I just recycle a different brand and make it work?
asked by Happy Skeptic on March 27, 2010
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 answers
A
votes
I know this is an old thread, but here is the Customer Support number to call: 800-618-7474 (the American Mower Co.) When the lady answered I told her my mower model and how it had a broken handle, and she knew IMMEDIATELY what I was talking about. Gave my mailing information and received a replacement in a few days. Not just the broken part -- they sent all the necessary parts to replace the ENTIRE handle, from the base up to the foam handle. And it's also a new design which looks a lot more durable.
peter17319 answered on November 16, 2011

A
vote
We got into our third summer but now our handle has broken as well. Bad handle design: where the tubing is pinched down to clamp together with the lower handle section. Ample amounts of Gorilla tape will fix it for about one mowing. (it's a super strong kind of duct tape; black so it doesn't show as much--so your neighbors won't think you're a total redneck.) But it wriggles loose and has to be redone each time. On the hunt for replacement handles. Otherwise, love this mower. Shame to have to fart around with the crummy handle.
William T. Nunes Jr answered on September 5, 2010

A
vote
Can I just take a number and get in line with the others with the broken handle problem? First time I've used the mower, and 3 hrs later....out of commission.
Robert J. Cherney answered on April 26, 2010

A
votes
Mine just broke as well. I'm still looking for a place to get a replacement handle.
stc007lhc answered on April 17, 2010

A
votes
Mine is broken too. Now on both sides. Had 1st broken sids welded. Then other side broke today. Now the welded side broke. Very frustrating.
John M. Inman answered on April 17, 2010

A
votes
Looks like replacement parts can be ordered from American Lawn Mower Company
stc007lhc answered on April 17, 2010

A
votes
It appears Scott needs to redesign the handle. Mine broke after one season.
D. Briggs answered on April 25, 2010

A
votes
So then, is there a BETTER mower out there or is it PRICE for BETTER QUALITY?
marcia wenning answered on May 27, 2010

A
[Deleted by the author on Apr 26, 2010 7:32:24 AM PDT]
‹ Previous   1   Next ›