on January 24, 2002
Format: Paperback
I find this book fascinating, because it presents evidence that a safe, inexpensive, non-invasive, and relatively simple medical protocol can support the body's immune system in both reversing breast cancer in its early stages, and in preventing the spread of a developing cancer.
The book is addressed by a compassionate and caring family doctor to women with breast cancer, and the content in interesting and hopeful. Dr. Derry's proposed theory for cancer development is based on extensive review of the scientific literature; the M.D. author has a background in serious research, with a Ph.D. in Neurochemistry from McGill University and the Montreal Neurological Institute. He was a Medical Research Council Scholar while on staff of the Department of Pharmacology, University of Toronto.
His experience in serving patients directly began more than 30 years ago, when he left academia to begin a General Practice that could provide for his growing family. As a GP in Victoria, B.C., he became interested in iodine's role in reversing fibrocystic disease through a Canadian Medical Journal article. His clinical experience is revealing that appropriate doses of iodine and thyroid can have dramatic impacts on cancer outcomes.
I've corresponded with some of his patients, including a breast cancer survivor who is thriving on Dr. Derry's thyroid and iodine treatment. She wrote: "I am a patient of Dr. Derry's, a retired Nurse Administrator by profession, and I'm living proof that it works!! Since I got breast cancer five years ago I have been taking the iodine and optimum doses of thyroid with wonderful effects on my health and well-being. My previously extensive fibrocystic disease has disappeared. I am thankful Dr. Derry has had the courage and foresight to publish this remarkable book. I highly recommend this book, and sincerely hope other women can be helped by this treatment."
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 14, 2007
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
Breast Cancer and Iodine by David Derry MD PhD, is a unique 100 page volume which presents the academic case for iodine as prevention and treatment of breast cancer. The book should be handed out freely during October Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Although written for the lay reader, it should be required reading for all medical students, breast surgeons, mammographers, breast cancer oncologists and any doctor who orders mammograms.

With ten pages of medical references including the work of B A Eskin and W R Ghent, Dr. Derry discloses the remarkable connection between iodine deficiency, fibrocystic breast disease and breast cancer. Iodine's anti-cancer activity lies in its control of apoptosis, or programmed cell death.

Derry presents case studies complete with surgical pathology confirmation showing regression of both fibrocystic breast disease and carcinoma-in-situ breast cancer with iodine treatment. He also presents a case report case of infiltrating breast cancer involving the skin which regressed after prolonged application of topical Lugol's iodine solution.

I can report from the experience of my own family members that iodine supplementation causes regression of fibrocystic breast disease.

Derry's ideas in the book could be easily revised into an NIH grant proposal to research and confirm the role of iodine. To do so would advance the nation's health and be a great public service. Iodine is safe, inexpensive and readily available without a prescription. A US policy of iodine supplementation matching the Japanese dietary intake of iodine could very well be our best preventive measure against breast cancer.

Jeffrey Dach MD
on March 7, 2002
Format: Paperback
Thank you Dr. Derry, as both a thyroid patient and cancer "survivor" I can totally relate to everything in Dr. Derry's theories regarding breast cancer/iodine/thyroid. From my own experience I can finally feel validation for my own thoughts/experiences. In these days when there is what I call a *"Mardi Gras" approach to breast cancer, this somewhat obvious theory should be put out there for further study and discussion! I LOVED the book and it is a quick and easy read.
It has much merit!!
*"Mardi Gras" is a little phrase I made up out of frustration! Translated, to me it means "Show me your breasts and we (the medical establishment) will throw out harsh treatment protocol and theory like so many cheap strands of beads! NOT THE CASE WITH HIS THEORIES!! GET THIS INFO. OUT THERE
on May 13, 2007
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
Overall, I believe that this is a very good book, on a subject of enormous importance. There are some minor flaws, that should be

forgiven in light of the great amount of useful information it contains. Dr. Derry says, "I have addressed this book to women with breast

cancer." It would be more accurate to say that "I have addressed this book to the doctors of women with breast cancer." Women (and men,too)

without some scientific and medical background will find much of the text confusing, and this may discourage them from continuing to read

it, once started. If you order this book, Please keep on reading! You will find islands of clarity and wonderful information and insights if

you keep on going. Just gloss over the difficult parts, and look for the many gems that are there. I suggest that a breast cancer patient

who wants her doctor to take the information seriously, read the book, make notes on important parts, and thereby be in a position to carry

on an intelligent and informed conversation with the doctor.

A doctor who is not completely closed-minded should take note of the extensive references to good scientific work relating breast

cancer to iodine deficiency. If your doctor gets huffy at the idea that you, a mere layman, have brought in information new to him/her, I

suggest you fire him/her on the spot, and look for an open-minded one who is really interested in helping you.

Note: A good related book is "Iodine:Why You Need it, Why you can't live without it, by David Brownstein, M.D.
on November 24, 2007
Format: Paperback
This information about preventing cancer is 100% in-line with my experiences with my patients. I have seen every case of fibrocystic breasts clear up in weeks with iodine. This book provides a lot of original hypothesises about how and why iodine works the way it does. With further research, I think some of them will certainly be verified. Others are good working models for our current understanding.
on January 23, 2002
Format: Paperback
This book was a wonderful gift to me.
It has helped me understand how the thyroid hormone works and when it doesn't work. Even though the book is about Breast Cancer, it addresses how the thyroid hormone affects our entire body and breast cancer. The interaction between iodine and the cancer is impressive.
The book is easy to read, filled with hundreds of literature citations.
If you have breast cancer or thyroid problems, this book is a must for you and your physician.
on January 23, 2002
Format: Paperback
What a precise plain English language explanation of the function of body cells. A no nonsense, look at the way cells become abnormal and the reason why they multiply and explode into cancerous masses. This book and the treatment named promises to be a major contribution to the prevention and treatment of breast and other cancers.
on September 26, 2007
Format: Paperback
I ordered two copies of this book. If every woman would read it, it would prevent a lot of needless suffering. Men ought to read it too because Dr. Derry tells the symptons of low iodine and low thyroid hormone which most every one has whether they be man or woman. I also recommend Dr. Brownstein's book on Iodine. These two books go hand in hand.
on July 30, 2008
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
As a RN, Medical Laboratory Technologist and breast cancer survivor, I literally read this volume in one sitting. At times I found it to be a bit technical or maybe it is just that my organic chemistry and cellular biology courses were some 30 years ago. Dr. Derry does specifically state that this is his theory based on his understanding of the current literature. I do agree that most of us are iodine deficient. One thing I have noticed in talking with other breast cancer survivors is that a large majority of us have both breast cancer and hypothyroid. Far too many for it to be statistical coincidence. Of the women I know who have had or have breast cancer at least 50% also carry a diagnosis of hypothyroidism and or fibromyalgia. I also have the fibromyalgia diagnosis and wonder how much of this is actually hypothyroid. I feel strongly enough about Dr. Derry's theory that I have begun taking supplemental iodine. I would recommend this book to anyone who is concerned about either thyroid function or breast cancer.
on January 22, 2002
Format: Paperback
After reading this book i felt that i had read my life. I personally did not have cancer but the information in the book in regards to iodine, were very helpful. I have passed this book on to a friend who does have breast cancer and she is hoping to put the book into practise.
After having personally met the author and had him treat me as a patient for other things I would have to say he is very knowledgable and a very approachable doctor.He is a doctor who is not afraid to step out for his patients. Bravo!
Read the book, Cancer or not, you could help yourself.