5.0 out of 5 stars You can be strong!
Published on August 30, 2006 by Carolyn M. Helmke

3.0 out of 5 stars Skimmed through the Book!
I just skimmed through so far but even when I skim through books I will be grabbed by something that will hold my interest. That hasn't happened with this book so far. I read her first book and it was excellent and I would recommend it to anyone who has gotten a breast cancer diagnosis. I am a breast cancer survivor as of one year! Looking at getting back to exercising...
Published 24 months ago by Twilrock

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars You can be strong!, August 30, 2006
Carolyn M. Helmke (Palo Alto, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This is a great book for women with breast cancer who want to be strong or stay strong. It has great information on what kind of exercise we need and has specific exercises for our various surgeries. When I started chemo everyone told me that 80% of women gain weight. I was lucky to find a local fitness program for people with cancer (Living Strong Living Well) and I was able to work out during the time I took Taxol. Not only did I not gain weight but I know how to lift weights and feel so strong. This book will now help me get through Tamoxifen and work on being fit for life. Well done!

4.0 out of 5 stars The Breast Cancer survivor's Fitness Plan (Harvard Medical School Guides), January 11, 2007
Teresa Stevens (Fairmont, WV USA) - See all my reviews
This book is packed with information. The explanations are clear and easily understood. The exercises recommended are illustrated and instructions are explained in layman's terms. It provided information that I did not receive from my doctor regarding those all important exercises. Ex. Warm Ups after surgery.

I subscribe to the school that knowledge is power and this book provided more information to me that was helpful. I recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, April 27, 2008
This review is from: The Breast Cancer Survivor's Fitness Plan (Harvard Medical School Guides) (Paperback)
For someone searching for information and answers, this is an excellent source. As a breast cancer patient, I was looking for information sources to help me learn, understand, cope and come through as a survivor, and this book is definitely on my list of recomended reading for anyone else searching. Very informative, well-laid out and full of tips and hints for coping with treatment as well as afterwards.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Exercise Options, September 2, 2007
focus22 (Steamboat Springs, CO) - See all my reviews
Excellent Exercise Options-It's important to know what will work for you and for your situation. Very well explained and good illustrations.

5.0 out of 5 stars Work on Wellness, July 14, 2008
Gatekey "Locksmith" (Peru, NY United States) - See all my reviews
For anyone diagnosed with breast cancer this fitness guide is certain to be helpful. My physical therapist was very impressed with its scope (encompassing each type of surgery/cancer treatment) and the carefully detailed explanation of each exercise. There are thousands of cancer survivorship guides out there. This one is a winner.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Breast Cancer Survior's Fitness Plan, March 28, 2010
This is the most informative book I found on physicaly recovering from mastectomy. It is full of information on excercises you can do after to help you recover faster with less complications. I wish I had found it before my surgery. You are sent home with instructions on what not to do but nothing on what you can do. I also bought a copy for my surgeon. The more you know the better you will do.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exercises for use in connection with breast cancer surgery, August 20, 2011
I already owned a handful of books concerning training, exercise, yoga and tai chi, but after my wife last month had been trough the surgery as result of the discovering of breast cancer. I immediately ordered this book when I by an accident found out about its existence. And yet it's still the only book concerning breast cancer and training connected to the surgery that I know about. And beside as it's a book from Harvard Medical School it ought to be good.

Among other the book is good by in the first half explaining concerning muscles, bones and the other part of the body that are attacked or changed by the different kind of breast surgeries, and this with drawings and names, both in English and Latin, of the different affected parts in the body.

And the book is also good by in chapter 11, over the 47 sides, on each side with writings telling what motion to do, and why, and with a good drawing showing the 2 resulting positions. And then in the following chapter 12 grouped in the different workouts dependent of the different surgeries with little text on each side reusing up to 4 of these in chapter 11 explained drawings.

These drawing in chapter 12 are excellent to be used for copies to be put on the wall in the training room. And in actual case whit the sides related to the mastectomy which was made on my wife. And my wife is not perfect in English.

On side 30 it's written that pound for pond, muscle burns a few more calories than fat. She ought to state that event when we sleep each pound of muscle burns around double the calories that are burned by each pound of fat, this information would inspire persons to start thinking more on the muscles opposite to the fats. I think that it's Richard A. Passwater who gives this research result in one of his thin books.

5.0 out of 5 stars great book!, May 17, 2010
The stretching exercises in this book helped me restore full range of motion in my shoulders and arms in a very short period of time after surgery. I had been doing the exercises in the little pamphlet given to me by the surgeon, but those exercises did not seem to be producing the results I wanted. I could barely lift my arms over my head to wash my hair. It was immediately obvious from the first stretches I did, that those from the book were exactly what I needed. I like that the book has somewhat different exercises and stretches for different types of breast surgery and alternative ways of accomplishing them based on an individual's abilities and limitations. It also has really good explanations and descriptions (and illustrations) of the various surgeries. I highly recommended the book to my surgeon and occupational therapist. If you've had breast surgery, get this book and get moving.

5.0 out of 5 stars Making Breast Cancer Recovery Managable., August 2, 2011
The book has so much information in it that I ate it up. The exercises for all levels were helpful. I have showed this book to my doctors and they love it as well. I plan on having reconstructive surgery so the info really has made me feel more at ease with the up coming surgerys.
I would get it again and am thinking about getting an extra copy for the Cancer Centers Library.

5.0 out of 5 stars Breast Cancer Survivor Fitness Plan, April 29, 2009
I have truly enjoyed using and referring this book to many persons recovering from breast cancer. I found it on line about 3 weeks out of my first breast cancer surgery, I have found the information in it to be a life saver. I will always hold this book close to my heart, for getting me throught some very hard times.
1stepaheda

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Breast Cancer Survivor's Fitness Plan (Harvard Medical School Guides)
Used & New from: $1.16