Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Eli Paperboy Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on April 28, 2000
This is an incredible book. I read three breastfeeding books in anticipation of nursing my child. This one is by far the best of the bunch. It is informative, supportive, easy to read, and contains all the information you could ever want. It also is written in a style that is incredibly supportive of a new mom (as I was). It can be used as a reference book, but it is interesting enough that it is a great cover to cover read (I read it while nursing!) And -- if one has problems with nursing in the beginning (as I did), it gives you the support and encouragement needed to keep trying. Another friend of mine to whom I sent the book said that without it, she would have quit. I cannot recommend this book highly enough.
0Comment|108 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 10, 2001
This was a helpful book, but if you want more information, buy "The Baby Book" by Dr. Sears. It repeats practically the whole breastfeeding book in the breastfeeding chapter. Then you get the baby info also. It isn't necessary to buy both.
11 comment|65 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 9, 2000
The first few weeks of breast feeding were the hardest of my life! I wanted to sleep! I wanted my nipples not to KILL! (I had a baby who sucked Hard from minutes after birth.) This book kept me going. The scientifically proven benefits run the gammut--no stinky poops, a 10 pts higher IQ, a baby less likely to have allergies, a baby less likely to be sick (baby gets mom's antibodies) and more. After about four wks, I was fine. My baby's 10 wks now and he's never had a bottle. I thought I'd never feed in public, and now I do it everyday. (It's amazing how all your preconceptions disappear!) Great tips on what to do about discomfort. My fav. was let nipples air dry and they harden. As soon as I got this book I read and read and read. Thank you William and Martha. I can't believe they have EIGHT kids.
on October 9, 2002
It ISN"T just their opinion that breastmilk is best for babies, so if they use some strong words to get mothers to breastfeed, and help them succeed, they are only being honest.
A few of these reviews made me laugh. Several reviewers criticized the authors for saying, for example, that you should nurse whenever baby is hungry... resulting in them nursing 24/7 for days on end and not eating or sleeping. Surely, as adults, we can use a little common sense to interpret what we read. Yes, parents are allowed to eat and sleep too, and nature does not intend for babies to nurse 24/7 for weeks. (Though, if the complaining mother had tried a sling, or getting some help from her spouse or friends, she could have eaten while nursing...) If co-sleeping doesn't work in your family, put baby in a crib.
And as for the reviewer who said that the Sears told mothers to avoid treating illnesses so they could nurse ... I suspect she misunderstood. I don't have the book in front of me, but what I THINK they meant was that you don't HAVE to wean to treat most illnesses. The vast majority of medications are perfectly safe to use while nursing, (or have a safe alternative) yet many doctors will tell mothers that they have to wean, at least temporarily, if they are ill and need to take medication. The point is that the risk to the baby from traces of maternal medication in the milk is far, far smaller than the risk to the baby of being fed formula instead. (Even for a short while, and since few mothers are able to pump-and-dump for several weeks and then get baby back on the breast, even 'temporary' weaning very often ends up being permanent weaning.)
And comfort nursing does not teach bad habits...
Yes, the Sears do encourage new mothers to stay home with their babies, if possible. But if the mother can't, she can't, and the book does discuss the issues of employed mothers. (And, to respond to another reviewer, you really CAN get out of the house during the first year while nursing on demand, comfort nursing, and using cloth diapers.)
If you want a book that tells you that "breast is best, but formula is just as good, and if you just don't want to nurse, or you have some minor difficulties and want to quit, that's perfectly ok too," I'd recommend "What to Expect" or any of the other general parenting books. But if you want an honest, well-written text that promotes breastfeeding, doesn't mince words, and helps mothers to succeed, this is an excellent choice.
on July 28, 2000
I purchased this book because "What To Expect" didn't answer alot of my questions regarding breastfeeding and my own OB/GYN, while supportive of the idea, simply didn't know. Dr. Sears and his wife have nursed eight children, so their book comes not only from medical knowledge but also from personal experience. The book discusses nutritional information (both what to eat and what your baby is getting from your breastmilk), 'how-to's (..latch baby on, ..continue working and nursing, ..get daddy involved), pros and cons of nursing, weaning, and formula, tips on just about everything, and most of all, offers information so that you and your partner can make intelligent, loving choices for your child. I recommend this book for every woman who is pregnant, whether you're planning to nurse or not.
on December 29, 2001
This book saved us. I was trying to feed on a schedule and it was NOT working. My baby was crying all the time and was hungry! Plus, I did not understand there was a difference between nursing and breastfeeding. This book opened my mind to the entire idea of breastfeeding and now it is by far the most enjoyable time I have with my baby. I would never have thought that before she was born. Get this book if you are going to breastfeed - it's MUCH HARDER THAN YOU THINK!! And, will much more satisfactory for YOU than you think! I just thought I would breastfeed for the baby because that's what people do now. But, I get so much happieness from it... This book was partly responisble for that. Thanks Dr. Sears - thank God you are writing books!
on February 18, 2001
Read this book slowly, it offers many good advices and tips. When I had a first child, I breastfed her for three weeks, on and off. It seemed long enough for me. I had problem with the latching on. She cried a lot and I gave up, I gave her formula feeding.
With the second baby, I read this book when I was pregnant and started to breastfeed as early and often as possible and although I still had many problems and it was difficult in the first six weeks, I could eventually manage them.
I also follow "sleep sharing", which really helps me. My family is abroad and nobody helped me to take care the baby. It was hard for the first few days, I could not afford to wake up at night to pick up my baby from the crib, so I took him to our bed. Our family slept well after that and I healed faster. My baby gained a lot, rarely cries, healthy and I still nurse him now at 4 months.
It is especially easy to travel, I don't have to prepare bottle, water, etc.. I breastfeed him in our car in the parking lot, just before we go to supermarket/shopping mall, and we had good time. Honestly, after going through bottlefeed and breasfeed, breastfeed indeed brings me closer to the baby. Thanks Dr. Sears
on September 7, 2002
Everything that is in this book is in The Baby Book by Sears.
I really enjoyed The Pregnancy Book and The Baby Book. However, it is not necessary to purchase this book as it is duplicated in the latter volume. The other problem with this book is weaning is hardly addressed. There are only a couple of pages at the end referring to it, with minimal guidance. Ironically The Baby Book covered weaning in more detail.
on February 17, 2005
The Breastfeeding Book does a great job of relating why it is so important to breastfeed and teaching techniques of getting started and dealing with any problems. It contains much of the same information as The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding, but in a more organized and easy-to-read format (I recommend The Womanly Art as well, though). I have been nursing my baby with great success, and the information from this book has helped me to give my son the best nutritional start in life. The Sears' emphasis on attachment parenting, while off-putting to some, is actually helpful, because one of the most important (but often overlooked) keys to successful breastfeeding is to feed on cue, day and night, rather than on a schedule (and that won't keep you up all night if your baby sleeps near you- after the first few weeks most babies only need one or two nighttime feedings). Feeding on cue is what maintains your milk supply, and it often makes the difference between moms who succeed at breastfeeding and those who "just couldn't do it".
on August 31, 2000
This book was the answer to all my questions about breastfeeding! It covers all the aspects of it, from the basics concepts needed for a good start (correct latching on, positions, feedings frequency..) to the more complex challenges faced by mothers who are returning to work or who want to breastfeed their toddler, twins or any mother/baby pair with otherwise special needs. It also gives useful information concerning some aspects often left aside by other books such as the mother nutrition, a guide to breastfeeding products and clothes (what really is useful? plus some useful web sites addresses are provided) and last but not least the father's role in breastfeeding. It is THE BOOK I would recommand to any pregnant woman who is considering nursing her infant (and even those who are not, they might change their minds!). One warning though, the authors seem to favor natural attachment parenting (they encourage co-sleeping, cue feeding, sling wearing..) which was fine by me but might not be appreciated by everyone.