5.0 out of 5 stars This book ROCKS!!!
This book was an AWESOME READ! I struggled to nurse with my first son because he had a poor latch and was a VERY slow eater - 45 mins+ at each feeding! (Try doing that every 2 hours and you get NOTHING else done in life!) I ended up pumping exclusively for 9 months and it about wore me out. I was a slave to that pump and to the clock!

When I got pregnant again...
Published 21 months ago by Joshie's Mommie

3.0 out of 5 stars repetitive and poorly organized
Published 3 months ago by Sara Kate

5.0 out of 5 stars This book ROCKS!!!, July 13, 2012
This review is from: Breastfeeding Made Simple: Seven Natural Laws for Nursing Mothers (Paperback)

When I got pregnant again 5 yrs later I was determined to better educate myself about nursing so I could slam dunk the nursing experience with my new baby. I came across this book and read it cover to cover. Within the first 2 chapters I found out I was doing at least 3 things WRONG in nursing my first son! Let me tell you... this book was a GOD SEND and a huge eye opener. This book had a TON of information in it. My 2nd son is now 8.5 mos old and is a nursing champ! I also started taking Fenugreek daily (2 pills in AM and 2 in PM) from the first week I was home from the hospital. Let me tell you - I am a milk making machine!!! I have about a 4-5 month supply in a deep freezer and most of that came from the extra milk I pumped AFTER NURSINGS. I think because I educated myself and understood the milk making process, how to latch appropriately, how to position myself to be comfortable, etc, I could relax, take it easy and enjoy my nursing relationship with my son.... thus making more milk. It was also a great reference tool many times in the first several months.

Nursing is certainly NOT easy for everyone. And it is a huge committment no matter who you are. (I stuggled with the latch with my 2nd son for several weeks. But, I didn't give up & I consulted a professional who helped me fix the problem quickly!) Since reading this book I have purchased 3 more copies to give as baby shower gifts to future nursing mommies and have loaned my copy out a couple of times already.

After talking to other moms who gave up nursing quickly I am SO glad I purchased this book. I spent maybe $12 for the book but it has helped me SAVE Over $1200 by not buying formula. Seems that most of my friends have babies with sensitivities to every formula except the SUPER EXPENSIVE one @ $40+/can tub. (That is because a mom's milk is MADE for HUMANS!! Cow's milk is not!!) I'll bet they are kicking themselves for not sticking with the nursing! Nursing is FREE...
My son is also super healthy and has only gotten a little sniffle once in 8.5 mos(and he goes to a nursery 5 days a week!) I attribute that to his strong immune system compliments of my "boobie juice!" (as my husband calls it!) Yay - only well check doctor visits ROCK!

If you are on the fence about this book... Just get it and read it. You won't be disappointed. The info can only help you. When you are done with it... pass it on and help another mommy out!
This book is GREAT too! Get them BOTH: The Breastfeeding Mother's Guide to Making More Milk: Foreword by Martha Sears, RN

Check out this nursing cover too! I use mine every day! Bebe Au Lait Nursing Cover: Yoko

Happy Nursing to you all! Enjoy those sweet babies! They grow WAY too fast...

4.0 out of 5 stars very very informative and helpful, January 30, 2012
I found this book to be very informative and wish I would have read it before giving birth so that I would have been armed with information before the stress of a new baby took over. Breastfeeding was very difficult for me and still is (6 months in). The book helped me understand the basics of BFing. I liked that it gave more scientific explanatations and quoted studies etc instead of anecdotal evidence in the LLL- Womanly Art of Breastfeeding (which is also good to have on hand, but made me feel terribly guilty that things weren't working out perfectly). This book is simple, short and helped a great deal.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for getting ready to nurse., February 1, 2014
This is a good starter book but did not realistically address if you run into problems. If you are planning to nurse it is a good book. If you are nursing and having problems this is not the book for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Breastfeeding MUST., September 17, 2013
Melissa Harris (Nashville, TN United States) - See all my reviews
Here's my impression of negative reviews of this book: "I got this book about breastfeeding because I am intent on breastfeeding and now I'm upset and offended because this book about breastfeeding presents evidence-based and well-founded research and facts about breastfeeding."

Yawn. If you're the type to get your feelings hurt at the dreaded 3-word cliche (breast is best), this book may not be for you. Ok, it's definitely not for you. The first chapter alone shares studies and research that I assumed were intended to encourage you in your determination to breastfeed, but for some women it apparently alternately offends and insults.

I'll give you a piece of advice, from one mom to another:
This book has some REALLY interesting information. I'm currently breastfeeding my second baby, reading this book for a workshop, and I have been just bursting at the seams to talk about what I'm learning while reading. The "left vs. right brain" analogies in the first chapter were so cool that I called my husband into the room to chat his head off about it (he was thrilled). So if you want to try this book but you're sensitive, do this: completely blow past the introduction and go straight to the "laws" of breastfeeding. The information presented is just too valuable to skip because of a 10-page introduction.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent non-judgmental book, March 12, 2013
This is a fabulous resource for moms who want to breastfeed. I read it before my son's birth and used it as a guide afterward. It's got great advice for pumping too if you're going back to work - the other top book is pretty judgmental about moms who aren't going to stay at home.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Book, Best Advice Ever, September 25, 2012
This book is the reason I am successfully breastfeeding my baby now. I got it from the library, but had to buy it to refer back to. I would suggest buying a copy so you can mark pages and highlight things. I read it while pregnant and needed the info when the baby was born. Such good advice! I didn't have success bf'ing my first child. Part of that was because of bad advice from nurses in the hospital and no support (except from my husband who couldn't help). I gave up too early. Reading this book made the biggest difference the second time around. I still had hurdles but thanks to this book it's going great now, bf'ing is SO MUCH more convenient than bottle feeding after you get the hang of it. If you are considering doing any amount of breastfeeding buy this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great help, March 20, 2013
I read this book right after I brought my baby home from the hospital. Wish I had purchased it before he was born. I never took a class on breastfeeding and i feel this book did a great job teaching me all I needed to know. I still go back and reference this book after 3 months of successful breastfeeding so far! I highly recommend this book to all breastfeeding mothers!

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have for moms, January 29, 2014
this book is immensely helpful. It made me a whole lot more confident in my ability to breastfeed my little one and is an extremely useful reference.

3.0 out of 5 stars repetitive and poorly organized, January 14, 2014
Sara Kate (United States) - See all my reviews
I thought the organizing principle of having "seven laws" would make this a nice, straight-forward read. Instead it seemed to amble and digress a lot. I had trouble following it and felt like it became very repetitive after awhile. I was looking for a practical guide to breast-feeding success and instead felt like I had to wade through a lot of excess to get to the practical bits. The excess included a lot of "this is why Americans stink at breast-feeding" discussion. I appreciated the perspective of other cultures and while I might not disagree that we've lost a bit of the art of breast feeding in the U.S., I felt like the authors could have made the point and moved on. That being said, when I did finally find the practical bits, they were helpful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best breastfeeding book I have read, July 8, 2013
This is by far the best breastfeeding book I have read in my search to become more educated about nursing. I tried, and failed, to breastfeed my first child, and I wanted to read up before I had my second child to make sure I could get it to work. I foolishly thought all babies nursed perfectly and all moms made enough milk and there weren't any issues. Yikes. I was wrong, and I found that out with my first child. I only nursed her until 5 weeks. In preparation for my second child, I studied this book, and it really made it all make sense. I felt confident that I would be able to breastfeed and troubleshoot any issues I had. I continued to have problems with my second child, but I was told by my OB/GYN and children's pediatrician that low milk supply is a fallacy unless you have a few rare issues. Unfortunately, I found out I did have one of those rare issues- Postpartum Thyroiditis, and I was only able to nurse my son until 6 weeks. HOWEVER, after all the stress of breastfeeding, this was the one book in all the research I did that really hit it on the head and just made it click. I figured out how to latch properly and what to do with conditions that arise. It has great step-by-step instructions and diagrams to make you feel at ease. It is instructional and encouraging, but not in just a cheerleading "you can do it" kind of way. It had a lot more detail and instructions than just fluff. Which was extremely helpful for someone who had been through it once and failed. And I'm sure had I not had Thyroid problems, this book would have made breastfeeding simple.

ARRAY(0x944fee1c)

Breastfeeding Made Simple: Seven Natural Laws for Nursing Mothers
Breastfeeding Made Simple: Seven Natural Laws for Nursing Mothers by Kathleen Kendall-Tackett PhD IBCLC (Paperback - December 1, 2010)
$18.95 $13.29