Published 23 months ago by Tina Ratliff

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok, but...what can you really do if the problem is you?
Published on April 21, 2012 by Low SupplyMama

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended to me by my lactation consultant, a very smart girl!, December 5, 2012
This review is from: The Breastfeeding Mother's Guide to Making More Milk: Foreword by Martha Sears, RN (Paperback)
My lactation consultant recommended this book to me because of the issues that I was having with producing milk. I found this book very helpful and easy to read. It provides a thorough explanation of the milk making process and the various things that can adversely affect supply. I think its a really good idea to read this book while you are pregnant rather than waiting to read it until you are already having problems, like I did. It gives a lot of advice on a wide variety of topics.

The best chapter I thought was the chapter on all the different kinds of supplements you can take. This actually is what motivated me to do more of my own research and after talking it over with my lactation consultant and M.D. I started taking mothers milk tea w/ blessed thistle -Organic Mother's Milk Tea + FREE Nature's Way Blessed Thistle (100 Capsules). Since then I've been pumping more milk than I can use and haven't had any issues since. I would totally recommend these herbs for helping with milk production.

During my pregnancy, I really did not educate myself very well on the subject of breastfeeding. I regret this now and if I could go back in time I would have definitely added this book to my must read list. The more you know about yourself and the way your body produces milk, the more you can help yourself and your baby. And just as its never too early to start learning, it's never too later either so please, if you are pregnant or are already breast-feeding, do yourself and your baby a favor and pick up this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Much more than just low milk supply, July 16, 2010
I bought this book against my better judgement, because with my first daughter, it seemed that all the books about breastfeeding I tried to read were either judgemental (you must be doing something wrong) or obnoxiously smug (you are better than those who don't breastfeed). I was offended and put off by every book I read when my first daughter was born.

Flash forward more than seven years and I tried one more time to purchase a book on lactation and was blessed to read this book! I have the paper version, then when I finished, I purchased the Kindle version. I do not and never have had the true problem of low milk supply, in spite of PCOS. I am, however returning to work and figured this book might help me protect my supply and maybe increase it in the short term so I can store enough breastmilk for when business travel is unavoidable. This book has provided so much more than the title suggests. I understand so much more about my daily milk production cycle, my letdown, and even my emotional responses to nursing.

I can't thank the author enough, except I will be buying copies of this book for my daughters' pediatrician and my lactation nurse! I can't recommend this book enough if you want to understand what influences milk capacity, supply, letdown. If you are a spouse or partner or close support person of a breastfeeding woman - please read and share a copy with her!

5.0 out of 5 stars Informative and motivating, September 12, 2013
The information in the book helped re-motivate me while I nurse baby at home and pump at work. I was having supply issues and this book helped me pinpoint the exact issue and provide solutions. My supply has increased after following instructions laid out in the book. I will recommend it to friends who plan to breastfeed their baby.

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok, but...what can you really do if the problem is you?, April 21, 2012
This book is good in terms of laying out potential causes of low supply, but unlike other reviewers, I find it short on answers if the problem lies with the mother. At the end of the day, if your low supply issues have to do with you, there is very little you can do besides take domperidone (which is effective, but doesn't get everyone there 100%). Fenugreek, blessed thistle, etc., could be effective for some people, I suppose, but probably don't do much to get you there if you have a tough case.

I do find it reassuring that the book actually acknowledges that there are women out there with chronic low supply, which is nice because most lactation consultants basically just rattle off some statistic that only 2-5% (where does this statistic come from anyway) of women "can't breastfeed" and basically just tell you to pump more.

This is a frustrating problem, but at the end of the day there are few very effective interventions when the problem has to do with the mother.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great breast feeding reference, particularly if you're having supply issues, December 28, 2010
L. J. Haynes (Silver Spring, MD) - See all my reviews
This is a great resource. Wish I had this early in my pregnancy. It's a good read to help head off having any supply problems as well as helping immensely if you do have supply problems. It provides a thorough explanation of the milk making process and the various things that can adversely affect supply.

I could see being put off by this if you're still pregnant. I certainly wanted to be positive and assume that breast feeding would naturally go well before I gave birth. However, this is such a good all around resource that I would hope people would use it to increase their knowledge going in. Forewarned is forearmed.

NOTE TO KINDLE USERS: If I could give a separate rating for the Kindle edition, it would be 2 stars. There are many places where text inserts are actually placed in the middle of a sentence breaking up that sentence and paragraph. I'm guessing that these inserts fall where they are in the print edition but they are probably surrounded by boxes so you understand the text sequencing. Not so in the Kindle edition. In addition, the tables in the book are barely legible, even when made larger on the latest Kindle. The text is smaller and lighter making it difficult to read the information. Some of the tables contain information about herbs and the quantities to be used and you want to be able to get that right. There has got to be a better way to format the tables so that they appear better on the Kindle. The way they are now is just annoying.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must Have for Mothers with Low Supply and Lactation Experts, December 20, 2008
The book has sections that would be wonderful for any expecting mother to read: understanding the biology of milk making, normal breastfeeding behaviors, best steps to get your supply off to a good start, and how to know if you should really be concerned about low supply - many mothers go through at least a moment or two of doubt! But for those of us currently in the trenches dealing with low supply or wondering how we can be more successful for the next baby, this book is just packed with information!

"While it's true that most mothers can make enough milk [to feed their babies], we are now learning that there are definitely mothers who really aren't making enough milk." For those of us who have been there and done that, this affirmation by experts in the field of lactation of the painful reality we have struggled with almost makes the book worth it all on its own. But of course, the authors offer much, much more in reassuring and informative discussions that fully explain what they call "The Milk Supply Equation" - the factors, from adequate breast tissue to effective and frequent milk removal, that work together to ensure a good milk supply.

I'm well-read, worked closely with a lactation consultant for months, and still learned one or two really helpful (and generally SIMPLIFYING, stress-reducing) things in each chapter. For instance, it explains how to supplement without damaging the supply you have, and perhaps even in such a way that it helps to increase it... But perhaps most importantly, the book will help you think through the underlying causes behind your supply issues and how to address them. Because without knowing the root of the problem, it's hard to direct interventions effectively...

As a concluding personal note, that's why I sound so gung-ho about this book... I would have given it a great review anyway, but I had a HUGE ah-ha moment reading through Ch. 8. I have insufficent glandular tissue, and had only ever heard about it in relation to hormonal causes. Yet I always felt like "hormonal imbalance" was a diagnosis that didn't fit me. Reading through Ch. 8 I learned that injuries to the breast during childhood and adolescence can also halt or impair breast development - and that fits me to a tee! So now I have confirmation that I need to focus on interventions to grow tissue, but really don't need to concern myself with the hormonal imbalance piece. I hope this book is just as helpful for many other women out there.

5.0 out of 5 stars New Preemie Mother, March 18, 2013
Sheena B Vanderley (MetroWest Boston, Massachusetts) - See all my reviews
I was worried this book wasn't going to help with my special situation- my son was born 6 weeks early so for the first days and weeks of his life, I was exclusively pumping. I was fortunate enough to have a great milk supply in the beginning but once my son came home and I was trying to breast feed exclusively without pumping (so my milk supply would be high at the time of feelings), my supply rapidly went down. After reading this book, I was able to realize I needed to change my mindset with feelings and how often to feed or pump. Now I can say my supply is even better than before. This book helps new first time moms and even ones with unique circumstances.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved I. Very informational, January 17, 2014
I learned things from this book I didn't from other breastfeeding books. I struggled with milk production my first and now nursing my second I produce about 60 ounces a day which is amazing. I wouldn't be at such a nice production rate if it wasn't for this book a must read for sure.

5.0 out of 5 stars want to make a few extra ounces??, April 28, 2014
Get this book! My wife got it on her Kindle Fire HD as like any breastfeeding mother she wanted to get a few extra ounces. This book was full of tips, what to eat, when to eat, how to pump. She was able to learn she needed something high in protein in the morning, what vitamins to take and now we are increasing our supply in the freezer!

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved this book, August 21, 2014
Loved this book! I couldn't put it down. I was determined to breast feed my baby but I wasn't producing enough milk. With the herbs and advice I now only have to supplement her 1-2 times a day with formula. I still supplement her with my milk because I think she got a little lazy being introduced her to a bottle.

$17.95 $11.79