1,070 Reviews

2.0 out of 5 stars Good idea, Bad bumper
Published on May 19, 2008 by C. Alejandro

5.0 out of 5 stars great product, January 25, 2009
Victoria (North Carolina) - See all my reviews
This is the first review I've submitted (even tho' I buy on Amazon.com a lot). I think I first read about the concept of mesh bumpers in Consumer Reports. I was thinking maybe I'd just go without bumpers, but at about 5 months, my daughter started moving a lot in her crib, and I'd find her in the morning or in the middle of the night sleeping sideways in the crib, with her legs sticking out the side of the crib. At first, I thought it was sort of funny and decided it really wasn't dangerous, but one night, I found that she had used her new rolling skills to roll over onto her tummy. But she not only was on her tummy, she had her legs sticking out the side of the crib (almost up to her thighs) and thus was stuck on her tummy. This really scared me, as she wouldn't have been able to roll onto her back, and this could have increased her SIDS risk. I started using the mesh bumpers within days after that and I feel SO much better now. Legs and arms remain in the crib. I waited to submit this review a few weeks because I wanted to make sure that she couldn't get her legs or arms stuck in the bumper, but no, the mesh (altho' not 100% taut) has not presented any new hazards. It even works well with the drop-side (the dropside slides down with the mesh bumper still in place).

One thing to note: I never could tell from the online description whether this product had any cushioning. It does have some cushion to it, but if that's the main thing you need a bumper for, a traditional bumper would be better for that problem.

GREAT product.

5.0 out of 5 stars ~*~*~Much safter than regular bumpers, peace of mind~*~*~, October 19, 2009
After a couple of times looking into my daughters cribs and finding them sleeping with their face smooshed righ up against their traditional bumper and almost having a heart attack while picking them up to make sure they were still breathing, I decided to take off their bumpers.

Their cribs are slatted all the way around and I soon learned that no bumper was just as unsafe as having one. Both of my girls got their arms & legs stuck ALL the time. Since I was so worried about them getting stuck I came in their room at every little peep and was sleeping on egg shells.

Thankfully I did because one night my daughter started crying and I rushed in to find her with her right arm sticking out the side of the crib and she was FACE DOWN and unable to push herself up off of her face with only her left arm because her right arm was stuck outside of the slat and could not push against anything. That was something I never wanted to happen again and thankfully I was going into their room at every little peep. Both of my daughters ended up doing that again the next day while my husband was at work. So I decided once my husband got home we were going to the store and buying some right away.

They were very easy to put on and fit our cribs great. There are a few spaces were there is a gap but they are in the corners and not where my daughters would get their arms stuck while sleeping.

FINALLY my daughters were not getting their arms or legs stuck! I also did come in a few times to find them sleeping with their faces smooshed right up against this mesh bumper but I didn't almost have a heart attack like with the regular bumper because I had tested it out myself and saw how easily it is to breathe through.

I also like that if my daughters try to stand on these to get themselves out, it crumbles and they are not able to get out. And even though these are breathable they are still soft, my daughters have hit their heads a few times and it didn't hurt.

After having these I was finally able to get a good nights sleep. If I had to do it all over again I would have ONLY purchased these and not a regular bumper. Hospitals tell you not to have a bumper in your babys crib and just because a regular bumper might match your bedding & be "really cute" that isn't worth risking your babys safety.

2.0 out of 5 stars Good idea, Bad bumper, May 19, 2008
When I was pregnant and shopping for the nursery, I was torn between what type of bumper to buy. One one hand I liked the softness of the Carter's brand bumper, but I liked the "breathable" bumper because my daughter was born in the beginning of summer and I wanted her to stay as cool as possible; so I bought the breathable bumper. When I put it on the crib, it looked very nice and while my daughter was little and imobile, it was very useful. As soon as she began to roll around, about 4 months, I would wake in the night to screams...her litttle arms and legs would get caught in the spacing of the crib, up and over the bumper! She would roll and turn while sleeping and apparently her limbs would lift over the bumper and the bumper would crumble under the light pressure of a babies arm. I have since bought the Carter's brand bumper and I am happy. It stands up to her limbs and no more limbs get caught. Great idea, but bumper needs work.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bumper works for us!, July 13, 2010
Before I purchased this bumper, I read most of the reviews. Despite some of the negative reviews about it not staying put and being difficult to put on, I still purchased the product and hoped for the best. My son always seems to make his way to the end of his crib and sleeps with his face on the bars. Without a bumper he hits his head and at some point during the evening his little arm will get stuck. So...I needed a breathable bumper. So far I haven't had problems with it falling down. It isn't easy to install and the directions aren't very user friendly. I watched an instructional video online to learn how to install it correctly. For me, installing it correctly and pulling everything VERY tight has worked. If I notice that it is getting a little loose, I will pull it tight again and secure it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Finally a breathable bumper taller than 11 inches!, September 19, 2009
I ordered this with fingers crossed... and was so happy when it arrived and I saw it is taller than the standard 11 inch bumper. The manufacturer should list the measurements somewhere in the post... this product is worth the few extra dollars to avoid injury with slatted cribs. It is easy to install however it does slip down so I used some double sided tape (easily removed with goo-gone when I remove the bumper in a few months) at each corner to to keep it in place. The color is a brighter pink. The material is soft. My daughter hasn't gotten her leg stuck once since I installed this product! Thanks!

4.0 out of 5 stars Depends on the baby, but overall nice product, September 25, 2010
AnnaC (SW Florida) - See all my reviews
How much you will like these bumpers depends what you want them to do and how much your baby moves. I got these bumpers when my daughter was about 6 months old. I had previously purchased a bedding set that came with traditional padded bumpers. For the first 4-5 months or so, she didn't really move all that much, so the bumpers didn't really serve any purpose. But once she started really moving around the crib at night I ran into two opposing problems. Sometimes she would end up with her face in the bumper, which would scare the heck out of me so I took the bumpers off. But then she would get her arms and legs stuck through the slats of the crib. So I would put the bumpers back on, but end up worrying about smothering.

I was looking for something that would solve these problems and the breathable bumpers did the trick. I no longer worried about airflow or smothering, and her arms and legs were kept inside the crib. I've been happy enough with these bumpers, but they are a little difficult to get on tightly. And they are easily collapsible, so baby can throw an arm or leg over top of one, if they are so coordinated or lucky. These are definitely not going to keep baby from whacking a head against a side, so if that is your problem, these bumpers won't help- they are not padded.

I think these are a good buy for people in my situation- baby likes to stick limbs through the slats, but you worry about airflow. They work best when installed perfectly, which can be difficult. But they have worked well for me.

2.0 out of 5 stars Breathable Bumper, June 20, 2011
While the concept is great, the design of it is not. I don't like that you have to leave some of the bars to the crib exposed in order for it to fit tightly around the crib. I don't like the fact that my daughter who is barely just now able to move, is able to move the bumper down and get her legs stuck in the bars. They don't put ties throughout the bumper for supposedly safety reasons, but I think they are needed in order to keep the bumper in place better. I've had the bumper for a week or less and will be returning it. Save your money and get something else.

1.0 out of 5 stars Nice Idea but Won't Stay Put, April 22, 2008
Stacey (Portland,OR) - See all my reviews
I appreciate the idea of this product since I wanted to protect my son from limbs stuck between slats but preferred a breathable surface. However I was frustrated to discover that he was easily able to slide the bumper down. It didn't keep him from getting his limbs stuck at all. A waste of $ in that respect. Now that he's older I switched to a "standard" bumper and am much happier with that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy Install, love the design!!!, August 22, 2008
I love this product! My daughter loves to toss her binky and this helped keep it in. Her little legs always ended up using the standard bumper as a foot rest with her foot hanging out of the slats and this has stopped that so far. She loves to scoot right up to the corner of the crib too and with this bumper I do not worry as much about suffocation. It looks good and was easy to install. We have a slatted crip that does not have a up and down front rail. We lower the mattress as she gets bigger. I attached the long piece bumper to the short piece to make it go all the way around with no gaps and it works great. I would recomend this to all. If you are worried about length, there is enough velcro to stretch or tighten to your desired length.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great bumper for its purpose!, December 11, 2011
Rebecca (Charleston, SC) - See all my reviews
Let me just start off by saying that if you are looking for a bumper to cushion your baby from the crib rails, this is not the product to buy. You want something plushy, and this isn't it. While that was a (very minor) concern of mine when my son was younger, I decided I'd rather he bump his head than possibly suffocate. Some people feel comfortable with soft crib bumpers, which is fine (to each his own), but I'm not one of them. I therefore went bumper-less for the first few months of my son's life. He didn't move around in the crib anyway when he was really young, so it wasn't a big deal.

By the time my son was able to roll over, however, he soon became able to stick his arms and legs through the crib rails and get stuck. It happened a few times during naps, and my son would scream bloody murder until my husband or I freed him. I imagine it was uncomfortable to have turned back over only to have your leg not follow you. I decided to buy this breathable mesh bumper to prevent his being able to do that without increasing his risk of suffocation.

This bumper has done its job! It does collapse under weight, so now at 10 months old he is more than able to put his limbs through the crib rails over the bumper and rest them. However he is now agile enough to free himself, so it's a non-issue.

The fact that the bumper collapses under weight is, in my mind, a plus, since I've heard of kids who use the bumper as a stepstool, so to speak, to help them climb out of their cribs. This one will not allow that. Not to say it prevents your child from climbing out of his or her crib, but if s/he does, it won't be due to this bumper.

Overall, this bumper is really more of a safety and comfort tool than anything else. If you are buying it for those purposes, it will not disappoint you.

As far as crib type, I have a crib with two solid ends (the long sides have rails, but the short sides do not), and I was able to use this bumper. (I had a really hard time finding one that I could use with that type of crib.) It basically doubles back on itself on the long sides, since it's two long pieces. It took me a couple of tries to figure out exactly how to do it, but all in all I was able to get it set up and ready to go in less than 10 minutes.

I am definitely happy with this purchase and have recommended it to other moms and moms-to-be! The Amazon price was also better than I could find anywhere else, plus they ship same-day, and I got it in two days for free with my Prime membership.

BreathableBaby Breathable Mesh Crib Liner, Safari Fun