Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Fifth Harmony Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Shop Now SnS

83%
17%
Format: DVD|Change

on January 4, 2013
I fought hard not to fall in love with this movie, but I lost that battle. Words seem inadequate to describe a movie that communicates so effectively with very few words, words that only hold the story together but never carry the full weight of its power. But all I have here is words, so I must try.

Breathing is the story of Roman Kogler, a 19-year-old inmate of a juvenile detention center where he has lived since he was 14 and killed a boy who had been bullying him. Roman was given up by his overwhelmed teenage mother soon after his birth (she had almost killed him to stop his crying) and has spent his whole life in orphanages and group homes, where the bullying incident occurred.

He is almost catatonic, with no idea how to relate to other human beings. He's like a wounded wild animal held in a cage, never looking anyone in the eye and almost never speaking; I didn't count, but I'd be surprised if he said more than 50 words in the whole movie. Inside the tortured, terrified shell is a sweet and gentle boy tired of being alone but with no idea how to come out; a chance encounter with an American girl on a train is especially touching and lovely.

Thomas Schubert, the totally inexperienced actor who plays him (never even in a school play, and went to the audition only because a friend he wanted to see was going) does it all with his eyes, his face, and his body language. To say it's a powerful performance is a pitifully inadequate understatement. He is amazing.

This is a very, very great movie, the first feature written and directed by Austrian actor Karl Markovics. It is quiet and unpredictable and deeply moving, with none of the cheap emotional manipulation, gut-wrenching melodrama and gratuitous plot twists I was afraid of after a lifetime of watching American movies. Breathing is beautiful, simple, powerful and profoundly satisfying.
on April 17, 2013
Wow...this was a great movie. Great acting, great plot, suspense with a twist at the end. I loved it and have viewed it a number of times. It hast to be one of the ten best movies I have seen in my lifetime.
on May 1, 2013
It reminds me of two other german films Antares and Everyone Else for sinking like a stone in terms of no frills perceptivenes; clear and profound in it's own way.
A german word : gestalt, meaning a comparison , wherein the one makes the other so obvious side by side ( ie black v. white.) In Breathing, a young juvenille offender discovers being around corpes brings out how poignant and lucky it is to still be alive and throws a fresh perspective on his life. ( It actually gives the viewer the same sense which is illuminating) Then he can ask the right questions to find accountability .Breathing illustrates the positive aspect of detachment in terms of being in a deeper space than people and places at the time.
I really liked this films intelligent neatness with just the correct amount of words and screenplay to carry its ideas across and an unavoidable gallows humour in places.
Great little film.
on March 25, 2013
Saw this Austrian film at my local art house theater about a year ago and loved it. I was very happy when it finally made it to the market place. The story is compelling and the acting is excellent. I recommend it.
on April 27, 2016
Not what I expected but I thought it was interesting
on June 21, 2013
quite, deep movie that goes to the root of who we are as human beings and what we yearn for in life.