5.0 out of 5 stars 12 Steps in Christian-ese
Published on April 1, 2008 by Virginia Woodward

3.0 out of 5 stars Amazing grace
This book is a masterful piece of straight talk on the power of the twelve steps of A A in facing any addiction and. becoming authentically spiritual. Lots of wisdom and full of Grace.
Published 19 months ago by Paul J. Carty Sr.

5.0 out of 5 stars 12 Steps in Christian-ese, April 1, 2008
Father Rohr takes AA's 12 steps & puts a Christian spin on them (adding Jesus' teachings to the mix..) As a long-time fan of Father Rohr, a Franciscan priest, this is one of my favorite sets. Totally real, and REALLY helpful (even if you're not recovering from substance abuse, this definitey is a Faith-strengthen-er!) Must confess that some of Father Rohr's other stuff is WAY over my head, but these practical recordings walk through the recovery process step by step. Especially like his take on mercy. Not just words, it's an attitude -- as folks in AA humbly stand and say "I'm an alcoholic".. the church can learn to be humble like that -- Lord have Mercy. REAL mercy. We sure need it! These CDs are from the 80s (some references a bit dated); but insights still very relevant. (Thought Father Rohr did a conference a few yrs ago.. there may be an updated version.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Spirituality and the Twelve Steps, September 2, 2011
This review refers to the paperback book published in 2011
Richard Rohr joined the Franciscans in 1961 and was ordained to the priesthood in 1970, the same year he earned a master's degree in theology. In 1971 he founded the New Jerusalem Community in Cincinnati, Ohio. In 1987 he established the Center for Action and Contemplation in Albuquerque, New Mexico, where he serves as founding director, dividing his time between local work and preaching and teaching around the world. The center is designed as a place of discernment and growth for activists and those interested in social service ministries.

Rohr is best known for his audio and video tapes, CDs, books, and articles. His themes include Scripture as liberation, integration of action and contemplation, community building, peace and justice, and eco-spirituality. His latest work, Breathing Under Water, is based on a series of talks Rohr gave 25 years ago connecting the Gospel to the Twelve Steps of Alcoholics Anonymous. He begins with two connections: (1) what we now label "addiction" can be compared to what the bible called "sin" (2) sin, like addiction, may be viewed as a disease rather than something that is punishable and displeasing to God. He expands the commonly held idea of addiction to something broader and also hidden. He suggests that individuals today are addicted to our own way of doing things, our own defenses, and our own way of thinking and processing reality.

The book is formatted in twelve chapters, corresponding to the AA steps. Each chapter opens with the text of the step being addressed and relevant quotations from Scripture. Rohr often holds up elements in established religion, yes, Catholic too, that seem not to contribute to the necessary healing. At the same time, he does not condemn those practices, but suggests ways in which they might be altered to comply more fully with the healing message of Jesus.

For more information on the center, and a list of services and resources, search the Internet for Center for Action and Contemplation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Christian Recovery, November 13, 2011
As a Twelfth-Stepper who is also a Christian, I found this book a wonderful guide in my journey towards a better relationship with Jesus, who is my Higher Power. This book would also be helpful to those who are the family and friends of those of us in recovery.

5.0 out of 5 stars Been there-Done that, November 8, 2011
Words just will not convey the way this book touched me. Small wonder though, as the author hits the spot on so many of the areas of despair I went through as I journeyed from the depth of addiction to an area of appreciation of life again. Thank you Father Rohr for once again allowing me to learn that I'm not that different from other sufferers from this scourge of addiction. In my recovery I have been introduced to that fact again and again. No matter the profession or education level the fellow sufferers I have become acquainted with are affected in much the same ways. A lot of that understanding I think comes from listening to each ones stories and this book once again verifies this fact and allows me to be accepting of my fellow human beings.

4.0 out of 5 stars An Addicts Handbook, February 24, 2013
This review is from: Breathing Under Water: Spirituality and the Twelve Steps (Kindle Edition)
Richard Rohr weaves the Bible - think Christ life - into the 12 steps of AA - Bill W. The author helps his reader to understand addiction on simple terms. And more importantly that we are all addicts on some level, for some food, games, drink, drugs, even being a parent and not letting go. It is not meant to be a single read but read over and over as each page brings on a new meaning.

So what if your not sold on religion and the bible is not a part of my life? Read and enjoy the countless examples of a how crawl out of the abyss of addiction.

5.0 out of 5 stars Christine, April 29, 2012
I purchased this book after our pastor referenced it one Sunday. When it arrived my husband started reading it ...that's unusual! He reads a lot, but not usually books I buy! He has not given the book back yet!
He feels the book simplifies the 12-steps, then expands upon them and relates them to the bible. He has read a lot about the 12 steps and feels this is the best book by far.

5.0 out of 5 stars Breathing Under Water, November 25, 2011
Rohr sees new dimensions of Christian spirituality in the Twelve Step Program--especially on how to cope with our addiction to consumerism in our contemporary society. We are drowning in our secular obsession with "things"; the only way we are going to be able to breathe spiritually is by the indwelling power of the Holy Spirit of Jesus Christ.

5.0 out of 5 stars How to live in this society with its many addictions in a way to preserve our spiritual lives, May 5, 2013
Mildred E. Brady (Indianapolis,Indiana) - See all my reviews
This book is an excellent how to on how to survive in our very dysfunctional culture with its many addictions that are causing so much pain and despair. Combining spirituality with the success of the 12 steps is a stroke of genius and a road map of how to stay sane in a society that is increasingly insane.

3.0 out of 5 stars Amazing grace, May 27, 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars TAKE YOU TO THE NEXT LEVEL AA, January 6, 2013
Very helpful in looking at the 12 steps in AA from a spiritual point of view.
Continuining my spiritual journey.

Very helpful for Christians and everyone. Highly reccomended for all in the 12 step program