5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Value and Tons of FUN, August 14, 2010
This review is from: Breedlove Passport D200/SMP Acoustic Guitar
My last guitar was an Epiphone P150 and this is the guitar I decided on after 2 weeks at my local Guitar Center. I went there every day, drove the guys there crazy asking all sorts of silly questions, and demoed everything within my budget ($700). After 2 weeks, the 3 guitars I ultimately narrowed it down to were the Epiphone Masterbilt (Solid Top - 550), Seagull Maritime (All solid wood - 650), and this Breedlove D200/SMP (Solid Top - 300). I did multiple "blind" tests and kept coming back to the Breedlove because of how efficient the design was...and how FUN FUN FUN it is to play! This Atlas Bridge thing where the strings go right into the bridge with no pins is a very simple design, and I think it is partly why the Breedlove has such great volume. I also like the action on this guitar, its quite easy to play and there is no buzzing anywhere on the fretboard. The sound is probably a bit brighter than both the Epiphone Masterbilt and the Seagull Maritime I played but I like this. The Seagull Maritime probably had a slightly better tone than the Breedlove but I was having a hard time getting used to the wider nut on it (My glove size is Large). Another thing I liked about the Breedlove is that there is little (if any) lacquer on the wood. This adds to the volume but may make maintenance/humidification a bit more important. It also lacks a pick-guard which, again, I think adds to the volume and efficiency, and gives it this pure and simple look, which I also like.

So I got the Guitar Center 10 year warranty on this thing and after having seen how much time and effort I put into choosing my next guitar, they told me I had up to 2 months to come back and exchange it for something else. However, I play my Breedlove every single day and haven't had the time to go back and demo anything else! The guitar is made in Korea and while I was a bit apprehensive about its origin at first, I can see how the setup and tune that Breedlove does in Oregon makes a world of difference (when comparing to other, foreign made guitars).

I would recommend the Breedlove D200/SMP for intermediate players who are looking for an extremely efficient guitar with strong volume. If I had to characterize this guitar in one word, that word would be "FUN".

5.0 out of 5 stars Great beginer's guitar, January 5, 2013
This review is from: Breedlove Passport D200/SMP Acoustic Guitar
I was initially planning to buy the Taylor 114ce for $849 since I couldn't find a cheaper guitar that I liked. I spent a lot of time playing the Taylor at a local shop and really liked the way it sounded and played. Then I saw this Breedlove at almost 1/3 the price. I thought it was a close match to the Taylor in terms of sound and ease of play. Although it wasn't quite as rich sounding as the Taylor, for 1/3 the price it was close enough. Highly recommended for an entry level acoustic guitar. Much better than the big brands I played at the same price point, i.e. Fender, Ibanez, Epiphone & Jasmine, in terms of sound and ease of play.

Breedlove Passport D200/SMP Acoustic Guitar