Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on July 28, 1999
One of the best books I have read. Matthew Brennan takes you though his personal accounts of his life in Vietnam. It will make you come away of a new appreciation for what our soldiers have done for this country. It will make you want to thank every military person you ever meet.
on July 24, 1999
I know the man personally and never knew he wrote a book till just recently and I learned it from his sister he is a good man that was caught in a bad war. He didn't write this book to talk about himself if that was the type of man he is I would have heard about it from him.
on April 21, 2004
The quintessential combat memoir of the Vietnam War. Brennan's book is well written and he succeeds in creating gripping and vivid descriptions of combat from a soldier's perspective. This superb narrative conveys the fear and horror of combat along with shared humor and love felt among comrades. Brennan's honesty prevents him from romanticizing either his fellow soldiers, or the Vietnamese they are ever wary of, but he is able to humanize those trapped in a dehumanizing crucible. His multiple tours in Vietnam bridge the time before and after the 1968 Tet offensive, which became a turning point in the War. Upon receiving a commission and returning to Vietnam he found that mostly unmotivated and apathetic draftees gradually replaced the highly motivated professional soldiers he served with in his first tour, mirroring the larger erosion of the American military in Vietnam. His weary realization that the War will be lost and that all the sacrifices he witnessed will be squandered is both sobering and tragic. Along with Goodbye Darkness, this is a classic American war memoir.
on March 27, 2000
Matt explains what a lot of us went through. This book should be one used in schools to teach about the War in Vietnam. I was in the Blues of A Troop 9th Cavalry in 1966. Very well done, Matt.
on November 6, 2013
Chickenhawk was the first narrative I read on the Vietnam War and as I read it, I remember thinking how did those guys ever get the courage to jump from those things. Many books later, I have a better understanding of what it took to both fly helicopters back then, and jump out and fight from them. Brennan's War was one of the first books I read from the "Grunts" point of view and it gave me a good perspective of the war from eyes of soldiers on the ground. I still remember it today as one of my favorites.

Of the many books I've read on the subject there are a few I consider "must reads", they start with Brennan's War, Chickenhawk of course, Guns Up, and also the three books dealing with the disastrous November 20th, 1968 LRRP patrol by Linderer, Burford and Grant. After reading Pathfinder 66's review, I reread Brennan's War for probably the fourth time in the last twenty years five years and I have to disagree with his comments, As I was reading Brennan's War, I never felt that it was anything but a good, accurate book and one of the best book to read to get a feel of what the war was like in the early days, verses what it was like for the soldiers in the later years. No single book covers that ground better than Brennan's War.
on January 20, 2004
I read this book at least once every year. My primary field of study is the history of the 1st and 2nd Indochina Wars, and I have read literally hundreds of books about those conflicts. "Brennan's War" is one of the three best (the others are Jim Morris' "War Story" and John Cook's "The Advisor"; incidentally, I would make it a four way tie with David Hackworth's "About Face", but the latter covers a much greater period of time- roughly 1946 to 1971- and therefore it is not an apt comparison.). A cousin of one of my friends served in the 1st Cav. Div. in 1970 or 1971, and he said that Brennan was essentially worshiped as a living legend by many soldiers then in the division. Without recourse to cliches like "gripping narrative" etc., let me just say that if you want to understand what it was like to serve as a combat infantryman in Viet Nam, "Brennan's War" is about as close as any of us who were not there are going to get...

Dimestore Liam
on December 14, 2002
I have read this book at least 20 times. The story never fails to amaze me.
on November 16, 2010
I read this book during my lil obssession with the military & war while I was a teen, I was cleaning out my cousins room & it was an old library book he never returned, it may have been this book that led me to collect all those vietnam, WW II & Korean war video collections back then... who knows

I do know that after reading this book my eyes would slightly tear up when meeting a nam vet.

It gave me a sense of understanding, the only understanding an outsider can get is simple appreciation for what these men & women like Mr. Brennan went through. It is one of the the MANY reasons I joined the army.

Im no longer an outsider. I have my own tale as a veteran & a war widow. Cpt Darrell C Lewis. Sounds bitter but it's not. Had I not read this book I may not have joined the army & would have never met my wonderful husband who blessed me with our son & let me know what true love was. I sure as hell would have not had such a full life & Im just in my twenties.

It is amazing how little things like books can shape us sucha as this one did for me.

Thank you Mr. Brennan & God bless
on November 2, 2012
This is the best book I have read about combat in Vietnam, or any war for that matter. Brennan starts out in a desk job his first tour of duty in Vietnam, but wants to see real action, so he becomes a forward observer (a person who spots artillery targets in combat) for his second tour, and gets more action than he ever imagined. He returns home, but does not fit in at college, and returns to vietnam for a third tour, and joins a "blue unit" that exists for the purpose of getting dropped at hostile locations from a helicopter to draw enemy fire, so that artillery or air support can be called in. The action is intense, and the story telling is engaging and realistic. My father read this book as well, and being a vietnam veteran, his opinion is that this book tells it like it was: intense, terrifying, horrible, heart-rending, and most of all, deadly.
on July 12, 2005
This book is a good read. It's interesting and well-written. I also like the fact that events and people in the book are plausible and reflect my own experiences of the war and Vietnam. In short, the book is pretty good entertainment. On the other-hand I tend to be impatient with "Tortured Warriors" filled with angst about their experiences in the war, and Mr.Brennan treats us to a full ration of his angst and self-pity. Bucko? You volunteered for it 3 times! Edit out the whining and it's 5 stars.