3,892 Reviews
 (2,642)

5,491 of 5,560 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars WOW - Way better than expected - XLNT daily juicer
I juice at least once a day as I primarily eat raw foods.

My Jack LaLane juicer finally wore out after 2.5 years of daily use. I was tempted to buy another - but I liked the way everything including the pulp catcher is all in one unit. So glad I got the Breville.

Published on August 24, 2007 by Ed Osworth

1,594 of 1,805 people found the following review helpful
3.0 out of 5 stars Beer Replaced By JUICER?????????
Published on January 7, 2009 by USMC Combat Vet

5,491 of 5,560 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars WOW - Way better than expected - XLNT daily juicer, August 24, 2007
This review is from: Breville BJE200XL Compact Juice Fountain 700-Watt Juice Extractor (Kitchen)
I juice at least once a day as I primarily eat raw foods.

This thing is POWERFUL, especially compared to "Jack LaLanne". It is so powerful I usually don't even use the pusher except to cover the top so your ceiling doesn't get covered with stuff. Other reviewers have mentioned that tendency. What wasn't mentioned is that the reason it does that is because the motor is so beefy that stuff will shoot straight up.

When juicing soft stuff I immediately cover the top with my hand.

The design of this thing is absolutely first rate. Even down to the plug, which has a moulded loop so that it is easy to unplug and plug in! No tool is required to remove the basket, as in most other juicers. Breville uses a combo of ingenious design and magnets to hold it in place!

Ease of use and fit and finish is perfect.

Clean up is really a 2 minute operation and I don't even own a dishwasher. It will stain eventually, as every juicer I have ever owned does. Carrot juice would make a great dye :-)

The pulp on this juicer is a bit wetter than the Jack LaLanne. The "Jack" had a much larger basket and a much slower rotation. I believe that may account for it. But it isn't much wetter - just very slightly.

This juicer makes much smaller pieces of pulp though - and my experience so far has been that it gets just as much juice from a pound of carrots.

Bottom line - I can't imagine anyone not loving this unit.

UPDATE 3/26/2011 This thing is still going strong 3.5 years later. Folks I buy carrots by the 25 pound bag so I am HARD on juicers. And not one part has needed replacement!

1,854 of 1,917 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Happy Juicing - More than 2 years later!!!, March 18, 2012
Length:: 5:57 Mins

Update Aug 2014 - Thanks for all the questions and comments on my review over the years! Yes, I am still using the original juicer! No, this is not a paid endorsement. I have not been contacted by Breville or offered any compensation. When you find a product that is built well, works well and helps you get well...it's worth writing about it! Keep reading...

Update Oct 2013 - I'm so glad I bought this juicer! Still using all the original parts, nothing is broken. I've kept the mesh filter basket clean and it works great, but it is puckering at the top edge of the basket, between the spots where it's welded to the basket frame. It doesn't seem to affect the performance of the juicer, but it requires more diligent cleaning.

I have a new tip today about juicing spinach leaves. Stack spinach leaves about 2-3" tall and place on a large kale leaf. Wrap the kale leaf around the spinach and stuff into the feed chute. Slowly push the kale/spinach "package" down the chute. Small spinach leaves won't fly out the food chute or end up whole in the pulp collection bin. This works great with collard greens too!

Update Apr 2013 - Still juicing! I make about a quart of green juice a day. The shredding disc and steel mesh were showing signs of staining and minor clogging. The residue wouldn't come off with hand-washing, so I decided to try some serious cleansing using a spray-on oven cleaner. Bingo! All the residue came off easily, opening all the clogged mesh holes and rejuvenating the shredding disc. None of the original parts have broken or cracked. I remain very satisfied with this juicer.

Update Dec 2012 - The Breville Compact Juice Fountain works like new after 11 months of daily use! There have been no issues with the motor. The plastic parts have held up well but are veggie-stained. The shredding disc isn't as sharp as it was on Day 1, but it still works great. When the time comes, Breville sells replacement parts online.

Update June 2012 - Still using the Breville twice daily and it continues to work well. No broken parts.

Original Review: Prior to purchasing the Breville Compact Juice Fountain, I researched other models and selected the Breville for its features and excellent customer reviews. I've been using the juicer daily since Jan 18, 2012 and continue to be satisfied with the unit. As with any centrifugal juicer, the pulp may not be "bone dry" due to the nature of the juicing process. But I'm not a purist, and any increase in my fruit & veggie intake is an improvement!

PROS of this unit
* The motor is powerful. The toughest veggie I've juiced is a quarter head of purple cabbage, no problem. Whole kale leaves, celery, carrots, broccoli, beets...juiced regularly without any trouble. I haven't tried juicing a sweet potato yet.
*Quick and easy to clean because there are only 4 parts: the food pusher, feed chute / pulp collection lid, pulp collection container and steel micro mesh filter. See in the video how effortless the Compact Juice Fountain is to assemble. I prefer this model to my friend's juicer that has the side-mounted pulp basket.
* Juice spout fits nicely into the opening of the pitcher lid. Juice doesn't splash all over the counter.
* Compact size makes it easy to leave on the counter to encourage frequent, if not daily, use. The pulp collection container measures 9 inches in diameter.
* Froth separator lid works well to separate the froth from the juice when pouring into a glass. Save the froth! It will liquify into more juice.
* There's a handy cord wrap in the base of the unit.
* Juicer cover, pulp container, filter basket and pitcher are listed as dishwasher safe. I prefer to hand-wash! Note that the inside of the juice collector (under the mesh filter basket) needs to be scrubbed well to prevent build-up.

CONS of this unit
* One speed means you cannot slow the shredder basket down for tough or leafy greens. I compensate by packing the chute with green and feeding it s-l-o-w-l-y.
* Small slices of fruit or veggies end up unshredded in the pulp container because there is a small gap between the bottom of the food chute and the shredding blades of the filter basket. The slices are thin enough (1/16 to 1/8") to fit through the gap. See the video for actual pulp results.
* The juice dispensing hole is hard to clean and gets a build-up. A small bottle brush gets some of it out.

TIPS for juicing and cleaning
* Rinse or clean the juicer immediately after juicing. Dried pulp is hard to clean off the mesh filter basket.
* Juice slowly for better results.
* Juice leafy greens first, then juicier fruits will wash the healthy green into the pitcher.
* Stack spinach into compact piles, and pack into the chute. This way whole baby leaves won't end up in the pulp container. Fill the chute and allow the juicer to slowly shred the greens. Add broccoli, grapes, brussels sprouts, etc. to the food chute while there is still some spinach at the bottom...no more broccoli florets all over the kitchen =)
* Nest and roll big leaves like kale and collards. You can even tuck a small piece of ginger inside for more efficient juicing.

Hope this helps you make an informed decision about which juicer best fits your needs. Happy Juicing!

1,697 of 1,814 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Best of three, October 22, 2007
This is my third juicing machine. My first was a Champion which served without problems for years. On the plus side it was powerful and durable. On the down side it was rather noisy, vibrated a lot and left a lot of juice in the pulp and was hard to clean. My second juicer was the omega screw machine which I still have. I bought it because it also did wheat grass. On the plus side it is quiet and juices anything, makes nut butter and extracts a lot of juice leaving very dry pulp. On the down side it is slow and worst of all the feed tube is really small. You have to do a lot of cutting to get things small enough to get into the feed tube. I pretty much only use it for wheatgrass now. The Breville is the best juicer I have had. It is an example of good product design in that it is simple, practical and attractive. It is powerful, has a feed tube large enough to take large whole carrots, beets and small apples. It is quiet, comes apart easy and cleans up quickly. The capture pitcher which nests into the machine has a nice cover so you can store the juice for later. If making juice is a hassle you're going to put off doing it. This juicer makes juicing easy and not a hassle.

1,594 of 1,805 people found the following review helpful
3.0 out of 5 stars Beer Replaced By JUICER?????????, January 7, 2009
OK, there are a million pro juicers here who can tell you all the reasons this type of juicer is best, another million who can tell you why a SLOW juicer like the Champion Brand are best if you want leafy greens juiced. My only experience until this week was with an OLD 15 year old juicer we paid about $70.00 for that took about a grocery CART full of fruits & veggies just to get a 12 oz. glass 1/2 full!

As a result, we used it one time and set it out in the garage until I finally sold it for $20.00 last month. But I saw a Jack La Lane infomercial and came to trusty old Amazon.com to see about trying again since these NEW juicers get more juice (or DO they?). I start reading and see so many more people liking this particular brand over Jacks model so then go to YouTube sniffing around. I take A MONTH DECIDING and bought this juicer from Amazon directly. Used it for just 2 days so I have no way to tell you about how it is best or worse, how it is changing my life, or anything earth shattering.

But I DO have something I CAN tell you. I don't even want a beer anymore. And I like beer. A LOT!!!! I haven't even tried any of the GREAT selection of included recipes that came included with the juicer. I just tossed in about 4 carrots, 1 small pear, 2 pieces of celery, 2 small red apples and it made over 16 ounces of juice! Blows my old mind (short trip). The weirdest thing of all to me at 60 years of age is I HATE carrots. HATE them. ANY form, hate them. Now, I can't get enough. And even weirder, I wasn't able to even eat any breakfast as I was too full. I don't remember anyone saying juice would fill me up. Usually if I had a V8 it just made me want a beer to go WITH it.

So all the expert juicers can decide which brand is best, which style is best. For my recreational use and for my being able to EASILY take it apart and fully clean in 10 minutes (and I am disabled, no, NOT from the beer!), I do a very rare thing. I give this a 5 star rating. As my experience with it grows, I will update this review as required as to reliability, stamina etc. My last and only prior juicer was such a nightmare to clean AND use, got NO juice, it makes this nothing less than shocking. To have so much juice, so much GREAT flavor, almost fun to operate and clean, who knows.....I may just end up skinny & healthy. But then after today's tomato. celery & zucchini with onion experiment, I can see myself wondering what a little Vodka might do for a little added flavor? Probably lucky for me that the only alcohol I ever liked was beer......

If I get into this in a big way and discover I like leafy green stuff juiced, and find this will NOT do that well, I will find someway to go the BIG bucks for a slow turning juicer that does that type juicing best. Heck, maybe I can recycle all my old beer cans to pay for it? Can't believe it took me 60 years to find a HEALTHY way to get juiced.
_______________________________________________________

2 week update. After using this twice a day some days, once per day everyday for over a week I have problems. One, we have now ruined MORE than the cost of our juicer is clothing stains from flying juice and "pieces" no matter how careful we are. It also has the dreaded "pulp trapped inside the seam between the clear part and the grey plastic" problem. I have tried to no end to contact the manufacturer. On hold with voice mail for over 1 HOUR, then instructed to leave my phone number to have them call me back=NEVER did. Sent email=NO response. Will SADLY now request a return from Amazon on this product I first loved but now is a problem as well as a health risk. I will also buy a juicer with a warranty LONGER than just ONE year. I tried to revise my 5 star rating but Amazon does NOT allow me to do this. I would drop it to 2 stars IF I knew it was not a serious health risk due to the hassle with NO customer service in my case. If I knew for sure it IS a serious health risk, I would drop it to NO stars. But then Amazon will not let me do this either.....
1/23/2009 UPDATE:

This juicer has been returned and I have now owned the new Omega 8006 for a few weeks. Did a FULL review at Epinions of it. What an amazing difference.

1 YEAR 2 week later update:
The Omega Model 8006 is still being used as well as a L Equip XL Wide Mouth Mini Juicer. Still lost over 50 pounds, STILL haven't had or even wanted a beer in over a year. And both of these models are easy to clean and trap no unhealthy food particulate in any crevices etc. Tried & true good solid juicers being used daily.
Mike

2 Year Update: Just sold the L Equip. Probably (well "maybe") going to sell our Omega Juicer as well. Been using a Vitamix 5200 the past few months also. I know it isn't "real" juicing since I also eat the entire product. But for quick & easy, saving 70% on the fruits & veggies, making soups etc? I just got lazy I guess? But to get an idea, go create my meal, clean up & be sitting at the table in 5 minutes? What would ANY lazy old goat like me do? Oh, and for what it's worth, it is now over 2 years without a single beer.....
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Update after almost 4 years.
Never sold this juicer. Even though out Vitamix is a daily workhorse there are still times we use this for juice with NO pulp. As rare as that is, we just find it indispensable for when the mood strikes....For serious juicers, I have found a website that offers the BEST info anywhere. Even though I buy from Amazon (on a daily basis for ALL my needs) I get my best guidance on the latest products from [...]

John Kohler who owns that company also has a Youtube site and recently showed an all new Omega Blender he feels will be a Vitamix killer? Well maybe not....

[...]

Hope all this has helped. Vitamix just announced yet an all new model that will not require hearing protection like my 5200 does too. And the beat goes on!
Mike

4.0 out of 5 stars Works well for the cost, but not perfect, April 4, 2011
When I was looking into juicers, I heard good things about Breville. Although I didn't buy one of the high-end models or brands used by true raw foodists, I feel pretty happy with my Breville Compact Juice Fountain. On the plus column, it's a nice size for two and fits under the counter. It's a breeze to assemble and disassemble, it juices quickly and easily, and cleaning is a cinch. Breville includes a brush for cleaning the juicer's mesh interior screen, and that is very handy. I clean the whole juicer as soon as I'm done, and I haven't had any problem at all getting to the machine's nooks and crannies, unlike some kitchen appliances I've had in the past. Most of the juicer is even dishwasher safe, although, I don't clean it that way most of the time. It's easy enough to do by hand, and then it's always ready for my next juice craving.

On the negative column, it's not great at juicing leafy greens. I'd looked forward to that, but this type of juicer just doesn't do a very thorough job. It seems to just immediately throw the leaves to the inside of the pulp container. Being a leafy greens fanatic, I hate to just waste leaves that could have made a marvelous meal. Luckily, outside of leafy greens, there's still plenty that it is good at juicing - fruits and vegetables like celery, bok choy, broccoli stalks, cauliflower stalks, cabbage, carrots, pears, apples, peeled citrus fruit... I like to do an 80/20 mix of vegetables to fruit. I often plan to bring extra juice with me to work for an afternoon pick-me-up but I've yet to have the restraint. I can't help but drink it immediately. The crisp and thirst quenching juice is irresistible.

I can't compare the dryness of the remaining pulp to other juicers since this one is my first, but I can say that it isn't completely dry afterward. It has the feeling of mashed potatoes. I've tried running it through the machine again, but the few droplets of juice it produces come out like sludge. For the most part I like the juicer, and so I've started finding other uses for the remaining pulp.

One thing I've done is make my own vegetable broth. Before adding any fruits, I juice only the vegetables. Then I remove all of the vegetable pulp from its catcher and put it into a pot with water. I bring the water to a boil and then lower it to a simmer. I let it simmer for about an hour and add in any additional herbs I like. (I often choose homey herbs like thyme, rosemary, and basil.) Once it has finished cooking, I run the broth through a fine mesh sieve to catch all of the pulp. I use it in any recipes calling for broth or when I want to add more color and nutrients to my cooked grains. (Most people stay away from using green vegetables for broth because of the color, but I don't mind it.) If it's more broth than I want to have on hand, I pour it into an ice cube tray, freeze it, and then I can use just as many cubes as I need at a time.

Another way I've used the pulp is by incorporating it in smoothies. After I'm done juicing, I mash the pulp into an ice cube tray and store it in the freezer. When I'm making green smoothies, I just add a few extra cubes for extra nutrition, flavor, and texture.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very happy - feel healthier already!, January 23, 2007
Jessamine (Atlanta, GA United States) - See all my reviews
I have not used any other juicer so I don't know how this compares to others, but I have read a lot of reviews where most complaints about juicers were about wet pulp and hard to clean up.

This thing is a complete BREEZE to clean up and actually goes in the dishwasher if you want to. I rent an older home and don't have a dishwasher so I handwash and even that is quick. I can rinse off all pieces in less than 3 minutes if that.

The pulp to me feels really dry, sort of the texture of PlayDough. I don't see how much more juice could come out of it.

Since this is so easy to put together, use, and clean up I am juicing every night. I am looking forward to starting a compost pile for my garden now that I am compiling a good bit of colorful pulp to add to the compost heap.

I never thought I would drink a beet but I've made some great juices with beets, apples, oranges, and a little piece of ginger. It makes me feel really good to know that I'm getting my daily alottment of veggies/fruits in a tasty drink instead of eating cups and cups of veggies that I've had to prepare, cook, clean pots/pans, etc.

Since it's "compact" it doesn't take up much counter space. About the size of a coffee maker. Noise isn't too bad either.

My only complaint is sometimes smaller things slip over the chopping bowl (looks like metal coffee filter) such as grapes, small pieces of ginger, and some smaller pieces of fruit once it has been whittled down. It's just a small bit of waste tho, about the size of a half dollar in the case of a beet, that slips over into the pulp bin without getting juiced. With the ginger, I just open it up (after the blade stops spinning of course) and retrieve the piece and try it again.

For $99, it's hard to find a 700 hp model. Most are 400 hp in this price range.

So - I'm very happy with my purchase.

3.0 out of 5 stars Excellent design--one defective part promptly replaced, May 18, 2007
ArtTee (Santa Cruz, CA USA) - See all my reviews
I received the BJE200XL from [...] in April 2007. Today I was drying the pulp container and noticed liquid and pulp trapped inside the seam between the clear part and the grey plastic. This seam can be seen by looking down at the pulp container from above. It is most visible around the spout, but it continues all around in a full circle. This place cannot be cleaned with the special brush provided. I don't want to be an alarmist, but a little bit of food poisoning is not a trivial matter, especially since a lot of people who juice are already sick or have weak immune systems. A few germs breeding in this trapped space and mixed with the juice could be a constant drag that is undiagnosed, rather than one big episode that sends you to the hospital. I reported the problem to the manufacture and received a prompt replacement. After almost daily use for two weeks there is no sign of the problem. I will keep checking, but it would appear at this point that this was a defective part, not a design problem. At this point we are happy with the machine and with the manufacturer's excellent customer service.

UPDATE: May 23, 2010. I just got this unit out of storage and used it a couple of times because I am fighting a systemic infection and thought I could use a boost to my diet and I am on antibiotics. Strangely, they antibiotics are not working. So I thought I should do an extra juicing this morning. In the strong morning sunlight I discovered that the pulp container has same problem as noted in the original review, plus the spout as a whole is a septic trap. This is way too risk for a perfectly healthy person, and I'm 71 and not perfectly healthy. I will be looking for an extractor that is easy and quick to clean--thoroughly.

UPDATE: Oct. 10, 2012. I finally got around to sealing the problem seam on a completely unused replacement pulp container. I used a GE silicon sealant for lexan (search the web for "GE silicon sealant for lexan". I have been using it for a couple of weeks with no apparent problems. The only difficult part was taping both sides of the joint. When I first tried I used 1" masking tape. That was too difficult. Then I used the wide tape with a strip of mild adhesive on side only: the only way to go. I applied a very small bead and applied pressure and wiped the excess with my finger. (Be sure to remove the tape the same day). While I can't recommend buying this model unless they fix the seam, if you already have one and are concerned about a septic trap and do not want to discard the unit, this might work for you. Just be sure to start with an unused basket. Good luck! P.S. Here's my recipe for getting a green leafy vegetable to go down and stay if you have an aversion to the taste: 1 small bok choy leaf to 1 carrot and 1 stalk of celery. The bok choy adds some earthy zing, and it is much better tasting raw like that than any of the greens cooked--IMHO.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent juicer., April 18, 2007
N. Marker (Edison, New Jersey, United States) - See all my reviews
This juicer rocks!!

Been using it for two weeks, works better than advertised.

Solid piece of engineering, sturdy long lasting parts, excellent workmanship.

Best features are its simplicity and ease of cleaning.

Though named "Compact" the unit is pretty large.

The 700 HP motor is powerful and not too loud. Pulp container is of decent capacity. Do not expect to juice entire apples, unless you are using very small apples.

The pulp extract is pretty dry so you are getting almost all the juice out of the fruit/vegetables with this unit.

Nothing better than fresh juice and this juicer makes the whole experience a breeze.

Would highly recommend it to anyone looking for easy maintenance good long lasting juicer .

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect Juicer!, October 22, 2007
This was the best appliance purchase I have ever made! This juicer is very sharp looking. Looks great in any kitchen. It is compact but kinda tall. The best part is it's ability to juice in a second. Very powerful motor. It fact probably more powerful than I needed but it doesnt hurt to have the best. I bought this juicer so I can make fresh juice for my toddlers, myself and husband every day. Now my girls get fresh apple, pear, carrot, grape and strawberry juice. I absolutely love cucumber and apple juice. Cucumber juice is so refreshing and I could drink a ton a day. My husband loves the bloody mary juice. A tomato, celery and onion and then a dash of hot sauce. We can get 4 times as much fruits and veggies in a day by juicing then by eating alone. I dont want to sit around and eat 8 carrots or celery sticks but I can easily drink that in a day. I cant stand eating melons but I drink them with an apple in this juicer. I dont even have to chop up most of my veggies and fruit. The entry hole is so big, an apple, cucumber, tomato etc. fits great. As long as you buy your fruit organic you can dont have to peel most of your fruits and veggies. Get a good juicing book and it will tell you what fruits and veggies you can juice whole. The ultimate is the easy clean up with this juicer. It tastes less than a minute to clean the entire thing. Yes, the pieces are plastic, except for the base of the motor, but can you imagine how heavy this thing would be if it were glass?? And I have dropped it a few times in the sink and I would have broken the pieces if it were glass. I am now going to start a composting bin for all the scraps from my juicer. That is one of the benefits of juicing too. You can use the leftovers for compost or depending on the fruit or veggie can use for a loaf or bread. Like carrot, apple or zuccini pulp can be used to bake tasty loafs. I am just an average Mom who bought this juicer. For all the other Moms out there.........buy this!

2.0 out of 5 stars $45 Replacement Filter, March 8, 2009
Great juicer. However, WHEN you need to replace the mesh filter, as the tiny blades eventually wear out and are easily damaged, it will cost you half of what you paid for the machine!