Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia Bose SoundLink AE All-New Amazon Fire TV Valentine's Day Cards Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now SnS

Showing 1-10 of 74 reviews(1 star). Show all reviews
on April 29, 2009
It's pretty, it's quiet, it appears to be well-designed, but if you want juice, especially carrot juice, don't simply avoid this product, run for the hills if you see it coming! Unlike it's less expensive sibling, The Juice Fountain, which zips through carrots like a champ, this machine comes to a complete stop rather than juice whole carrots. To juice them, I have to cut them up in 2 inch pieces and even then it does a crappy job of juicing--the pulp container fills with chunks of carrots among the overly moist pulp. Though the Ikon juicer keeps running while juicing quartered apples, significant pressure is required to get the cutting blades to grate them and it leaves large chunks of apples in the pulp container. The speeds used are at recommended settings, though did experiment with other settings, all with the same awful results each time used, including first time out of the box. The multiple speed settings are basically an unnecessary novelty, by the way.

A call to Breville Customer Service was, well, fruitless. They told me chunks of apples in the pulp are normal for this unit and it was normal for the motor to slow down when juicing carrots. Slow down? How about stop? They had no answer and offered no resolution, other than a sorry and maybe you should warm up your carrots first or buy a more expensive machine. Went on to tell me that I needed a better model to juice carrots! Huh? A $200 juicer (their 2nd from the top of the line) can't juice carrots, leaves overly moist pulp and large chunks of fruit and vegetables... while it was excellent at extracting my money, it isn't worth a damn extracting juice. And the because the motor turns at such high rmps, it infuses a tremendous amount of air into the little juice it extracts, the juice is quickly oxidized, depleting the nutrients (the whole reason for juicing in the first place).

To summarize: If you want a gleaming piece of statuary that'll look good on your kitchen counter, by all means, buy this machine. But if functionality is important to you, if you want a machine that actually effectively extracts juice without creating additional labor and doesn't waste expensive produce, or if you want a company that will stand behind its products rather than tell you "not working at all is working properly", look elsewhere... even the Jack LaLane juicer does a better job. This unit will be off to a garage sale asap, though it would be better destined to a landfill. If zero or negative stars were an option, this machine would have gotten it.
88 comments162 of 191 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 17, 2011
I was hesitant to buy this product, but so many gave it a good review, there were a few that had the issue of machine not working. I was one of them. For a brand that is considered leading in juicing, this product is terrible. It did produce more juice than my previous machine, but the motor seemed to die on the second day using it, I'm very disappointed in the quality control of this product.
22 comments49 of 57 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 30, 2011
I thought with Breville technology, the machine would last lifetime, unfortunately that wasn't the case, it broke after using 3 times. Lights come on but motor won't spin. Luckily I am still under 30 return period and will be sending it back for refund.
11 comment36 of 41 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 18, 2011
Had the Breville BJE510XL juicer just over two weeks. Even though it said you could put whole fruits and veggies in, I was pre-chopping them. The juicer motor simply died. Call the company and they said they would send a new one out, pronto. Have not yet received it. Hopefully the new juicer is a better product than the original one I received.
22 comments24 of 28 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 7, 2011
My wife and I purchased 2 of these items within the same week and both were broken out of the box. Upon plugging the item in it displayed an E and the motor never engaged. I went to the website to see what was wrong and found out that it is a know issue. The company asks that you file a warranty claim, and not return the item to the store. We tried to do so, then the company refused to replace the unit. This is my first time purchasing this brand and boy did we have a poor customer experience. I would not recommend that you purchase a product from a company that knowingly refuses to honor its own warranty for a defective product. We will be buying any products from this company in the future.
22 comments30 of 36 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 6, 2012
I had to return this item because the motor completely failed after one use. Not my first Breville - have a more basic model and bought another for my daughter - this one was an upgrade for me (and was going to give my old one to my other daughter). I had juiced a pitcher of vegetables and it worked great! I started working on the fruits and added 1/4 red pepper in with 1/4 apple on setting 4 (for apples) and the motor just faded out and the E light came on - the motor was not hot or overfed - later, it briefly came on once more after about 10 minutes and replugging in - turned on for a second and then shut off. Could not get it to work again. Tried to call Breville - but no one ever picked up was on hold for over 15 minutes. Breville troubleshoot website was useless. Unfortunately had to return the item to Amazon - am now waiting on a refund. I have had no troubles with my first Breville juicer - always thought they were well made and efficient - But this model is a real dog. Shame - I really liked the side pulp collector...and it juiced the vegetables really well..looks like the more bells and whistles it has - the more troubles you have...
11 comment19 of 22 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 18, 2013
Do Not Buy this machine, unless you plan on replacing the whole machine when you need a replacement part. I have had this juicer for 18 months. Yes, it works good, but now I need to replace the Filter Basket. The filter basket has been on "back order" for over 6 month now! When I send a message to Breville, a CSR responds with a random future date. When the future date arrives, the basket is still on back order. I will NEVER purchase another Breville item ever!
on December 9, 2011
This juicer has been trouble from the start. To date, we are on our second juicer after filing a warranty claim directly with Breville. The issue has been with the motor working intermitently or not at all. The juicer will turn on, but will not run the motor. After a warranty claim with Breville, we have another juicer with the same issues. Reviews on the Breville website indicate that we are not the only customer experiencing these challenges. At this point I have wasted money on a juicer and fresh produce when the machine simply will not function. In the future I will not purchase a Breville product.
11 comment26 of 31 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 12, 2011
I have been through two of these already, and the longest either has lasted is two weeks. The first one I found out wasn't assembled completely, and was shorting out. The second one is showing the same signs, as a short somewhere in the machine. It shows power, but won't turn on. I'm completely frustrated with this product, and won't buy another Breville product!!!
0Comment23 of 27 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 13, 2011
Received the item quickly from amazon. Unpacked and assembled juicer per instructions. When trying to operate juicer it would not power on. Disassembled, reassembled. Nothing. Tried another outlet nothing. DOA

No biggie. Call customer service. After 25 mins on phone item not in stock.

Pretty upset spending the money on a better juicer and product doesn't work. Even more upset I would have to wait a month to get a replacement.

The Juicer felt and looked great. Easy to assemble. To bad made in china and passed thru quality standards buy being DOA.
Now I know why I see the same juicer on newegg for $75 refurbished.
0Comment31 of 38 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse