1,478 Reviews
 (1,120)

1,652 of 1,684 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars The "Lexus" of juicers
Published on June 9, 2008 by MW

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Powerful Extraction Juicer but with fatal flaw.
This juicer has a wide spout and powerful motor that makes it easy to juice. You can vary the motor speed so that softer fruits and vegetables juice more efficiently. And, hard vegetables such as carrots can juice several at a time easily (with less force than many other juicers).

However, there is a design flaw in this juicer that basically makes it more...
Published on May 1, 2011 by Nicholas Israel Snapir

1,652 of 1,684 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars The "Lexus" of juicers, June 9, 2008
MW (Miramar, Florida United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Breville BJE510XL Juice Fountain Multi-Speed 900-Watt Juicer (Kitchen)
We owned a refurbished Waring JEX328 juicer for about two years and my wife used it to make juice for our children and me almost every day. It held up fairly well and we paid almost nothing for it at the time (around 30 bucks, I think), but it finally cratered a couple of weeks ago. We debated for a while whether or not to replace it with this Breville model or the Hamilton Beach Big Mouth Pro. We finally decided on this one because it had so many five star ratings and because it is an appliance we use so often, thus we thought it made sense to get the best one we could find, even with its steeper price. While I can't compare it to the Hamilton Beach model, I can compare it to the Waring model, and it beats the Waring model hands down.

As soon as you unpack the Breville you know you have a top quality piece of equipment. It does an outstanding job at juice extraction (the pulp is dryer than what the Waring produced, and the Waring actually did pretty well) and the clean-up is far easier. When cleaning the Waring, you had pulp caked up within the machine itself and it was a pain to clean it out, partially becaused it had a higher moisture content but also simply because of all of the nooks and crannies in this catchment section of the juicer. Although this section detached, it was still difficult to clean nonetheless . The Breville puts the pulp in a separate container off to the side, and as others have mentioned, if you line it with a plastic bag there is nothing to it. The only "pain" is cleaing the filter device, which is going to be difficult with any juicer you buy. The brush they provide does make this a little easier, however.

Now for the biggest difference: the noise produced when the machine is turned on. With the Waring, you had to pause the television, stop talking, cover your ears, and hope the neighbors didn't phone the cops on you for disturbing the peace. The Breville is FAR quieter. Don't get me wrong, it is not "whisper quiet" or anything like that, but it probably makes one third of the noise the Waring did.

Is it worth the higher price as compared to the Waring or Hamilton Beach? Hard to say. Like I mentioned, we got the Waring for practically nothing and it was a good introductory machine for us for juicing, but SO LOUD!

I can't really find any flaws with the Breville at all (we have run it for about a week now). Considering, however, that it costs almost three times what you can get the Hamilton Beach Big Mouth Pro for (I would chose this one over the Waring purely from my experience with it and from reading the reviews for the Hamilton), whether or not you want to go with this "ultra juicer" version boils down to sheer personal preference. How often you will run it and what variety of recipies you might want to put through it should probably be your driving factors, along side the price difference, of course. The main differences I found with the Breville as compared to the Hamilton were a slightly higher wattage (900 versus 800) and the variable speeds instead of only one, single speed. From our perspective, though, we have had no regrets in spending the extra cash for this top model.

EDIT 08/05/08: Just thought I would mention that since this review we bought the Hamilton Beach Big Mouth Pro as a gift for my wife's mother, so we had a chance to directly compare it to the Breville. It did a good job, but it was louder and not nearly as solidly built as the Breville. After this comparision, we are even more satisfied with our decision to spend a bit extra and get this model. The varible speed on the Breville is something you will definitely miss should you go back to a model that does not have this feature. Hope this helps!

1,049 of 1,087 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars A great appliance for what it is... a centrifugal juicer!!!, June 26, 2009
First of all, a distinction needs to be made on exactly what type of juicer the Breville is, only then will these reviews be helpful. The Breville belongs to a class of juicers called centrifugal juicers. These work by forcing the juicing item onto centrally located spinning blades that essentially finely grates it and then the contents are thrown outward onto a spinning screen (spinning at a thousand or more revolutions per minute)... this forces the juice through the screen while the pulp gets held back and eventually slides up the angled screen and gets thrown over the top and into a holding bin... and thus the juice is separated from the pulp. The other types of juicers are the masticating juicer, where the item is literally crushed in an auger (a big screw) and compressed so that the juice flows through a small screen in the bottom while the pulp is pushed forward where it gets ejected at the far end... and the other type is the citrus juicer which is basically an electrically powered reamer used to semi-manually ream-out citrus fruits quickly. And finally there is the common kitchen blender.

Each type of juicer has it advantages and disadvantages... to be able to juice ALL types of vegetables and fruits well and efficiently you will actually need all four types of juicers. In reverse order...
Kitchen Blender: for very soft or delicate and highly pulpy fruits (raspberries, bananas, blueberries)
Citrus Juicer: for the ultimate in convenience, speed, ease and an excellent amount of juice extraction for all citrus fruits
Masticating Juicer: virtually the only type of juicer for leafy greens (however it will also perform well with any items that are not too soft and pulpy, as the small screen plugs up too easily), however be warned, the juice extraction process is going to be very, VERY SLOW!
Centrifugal Juicer: very, VERY fast extraction rate and the large screen makes the juicing of pulpy fruit easy and fast. However extremely pulpy (ie bananas) and very soft fruits would do much better by foregoing the juice/pulp separation process and simply tossing them into a blender.

Now about the Breville specifically: For me its about the best centrifugal juicer out there. Motor is very powerful and the variable speed feature makes it more useful over a wider range of fruits/veggies, however really soft fruits such as raspberries, strawberries etc. and some small fruits like blueberries do not do well in this juicer at any speed as even the slowest speed is so violent that they too quickly slide over the top of the screen before much juice can be extracted from them. Expect then for the pulp of many soft fruits and vegetables (such as tomatoes) to still contain some juice after processing. I would actually suggest using a blender for the berries and then adding it to the extracted juices separately... its both more economical and healthier for you that way. Leafy greens (including wheatgrass) are another problem item for any centrifugal juicer... they will not juice properly so don't even bother trying... leafy greens is what the masticating juicers truly excel at. Finally, though citrus fruits will juice in the Breville, you will soon get tired of peeling them as you canNOT juice them with the peel still on because the citrus oils extracted from the peels don't taste very good at all. Once you've purchased a good citrus juicer you'll understand why this really is the only way to juice any citrus fruits. The Breville is great for whole kiwi, apples, carrots, celery, broccoli stalks, asparagus, radishes, beets, kohlrabi, cabbage heads (outer leaves removed and head sliced to under 3"), cucumbers, squash, grapes, mangoes, peaches, and plums (with pits/seed removed of course), pears, all melons, papaya, etc... even tomatoes and strawberries (though don't expect the pulp to be very dry)... and there is no need to peel many of these items before processing (just the melons), you just drop them in the large 3" chute. The juicing process is really fast and the clean-up is a snap... you just rinse out 3 parts and brush the screen. The fit/finish, materials used and quality in general are all excellent and the design intelligent.

The downsides of the Breville are: even at the slowest speed it is still quite fast and soft fruits/vegetables can literally be thrown back out through that large 3" diameter feed chute if you are not fast enough to cover with the plunger or your hand... yes, it can get real messy, like as in throwing bits of food/juice up and out onto kitchen walls, etc. so there is a bit of a learning curve when juicing the soft items. We've owned this Breville for the last 3 months and have used it everyday... the blades have dulled a little since it was new, which is to be expected but still all-in-all remain plenty sharp enough to get the job done... and the lower clear plastic bowl has slightly discolored from all the carrots but again it is to be expected and is only very, very slight.

Bottomline here... we have been very please with this Breville and can highly recommend it for juicing most fruits and vegetables with the notable exceptions being leafy greens (get a masticating juicer just for juicing those items) and citrus fruit (a citrus juicer would be far more convenient) and finally don't be expecting soft items to be 100% fully extracted.
Find more at juices4life.com

5.0 out of 5 stars Why I prefer this juicer to Green Star, Champion, and others:, November 29, 2008
The Breville BJE510XL Ikon 900-Watt Variable-Speed Juice Extractor is the third juicer I've owned, and is definitely my favorite. My cheap and easy-to-use Juiceman's motor burnt out after a year, at which point it would have been more expensive to repair than replace. My Champion still works after 15 years and is not difficult to clean, but is messy to use, leaving drips all over the countertop or whatever I line it with. I've also tried the Green Star and Green Power Juicers, which make perfect juice with dry pulp, but take a long time to clean and assemble. The Breville BJE510XL Ikon 900 is the second-down from the top of the line of the four Breville juicers (only the Elite is better), but after a month of use of about every-other-day use, I find no need to upgrade.

Here's why I like this juicer so much for my typical juice of carrot, kale, celery and apple and/or pear:

*Easy to set-up: It takes only seconds to set up this juicer. The juicer itself has only 3 pieces to snap into place, plus there's the acrylic pitcher, pulp basket, and pusher. The pieces fit perfectly like a jigsaw puzzle, which brings me to the second reason I like it:

*Not messy: The juice ends up in the pitcher, the pulp goes to the pulp basket, plus some residual of each ends up in the juicer to be cleaned. My Champion Juicer OTOH required me to find containers around the house that would fit, and still some would drip out. I would have to place a baking sheet or towel under it to contain the mess.

*Quick vegetable and fruit prep: I can fit several carrots at once into the 3" diameter shoot, plus whole pears and/or apples. I don't have to do as much cutting ahead of time as I did with other juicers with a narrower shoot. You must be careful though to use the pusher and not your hand.

*Quick clean up: Those 6 pieces mentioned above are all I have to clean. I can clean my juicer in just a few minutes, once I figured out a good way to clean the filtration basket--by far the most challenging part to clean. This basket was frustrating to clean at first, particularly since my juicer did not come with the brush it was supposed to (and customer service did not respond to my request to obtain a brush). I tried various brushes, but what works best is an all purpose nylon scouring pad from Trader Joe's which comes in packages of 4 for $2.59. The secret to quick clean up is to begin cleaning as soon as you've finished juicing, although you do have a few minutes to drink your juice first. Rinse off the filtration basket and vigorously scrub half of each of the three sections at a time with the nylon scrubber, rinsing each half section before moving on to the next. This should remove 90 to 90% of the pulp debris. Repeat or spot clean to remove the rest. I can clean the whole basket in less than a minute. The other parts are quick and straightforward to clean, although you have to be careful to clean under the rim of the acrylic part that the basket sits in.

*Helpful design features: The juicer has a smaller footprint than the Champion and Greenstar Juicers; a sleek, modern look that looks good in kitchens; pieces that fit together well (as mentioned), and even the plug is in the shape of a ring so one can easily pull it out of the socket without yanking on the cord.

*Doesn't stain. Although it has some acrylic parts, so far, with immediate cleaning after use, there have been no stains.

A few compromises. No juicer is perfect. This juicer is average in several areas. You can have a juicer that is above average in these areas (Green Star and Green Power), but you will be spending a lot more time in assembly, disassembly and cleaning. Having used the Green Star and Green Power, I would rather have the quick and easy juicer and sacrifice a small amount of yield.

*Noise - This juicer is as loud as your average kitchen appliance like a food processor or blender. The Green Star or Green Power are whisper quiet. It is not as loud as my Blendtec blender which requires me to wear ear phones.

*Yield - The pulp in this Breville is neither very wet nor very dry--it's average. For sawdust-dry pulp and more yield, the Green Star, Green Power and the $2,000 difficult-to-clean Norwalk exceed the Breville.

*Versatility - The Breville is strictly a juicer. If you're a raw foodist who is interested in making frozen banana "ice cream" and "not tuna" pate', you might prefer the Champion, Green Star or Green Power. However, I have found you can make these items in the food processor, so I'd rather have the dedicated easy juicer. Banana "ice cream" takes about 5 minutes in the food processor, as opposed to about 30 seconds in the Champion juicer.

The bottom line is that the right juicer for you is the one that can get used. With quick and easy food prep, assembly, disassembly, and cleaning, at my house, this IS the juicer that gets used.

5.0 out of 5 stars "Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead" juicers, March 26, 2012
My husband and I watched the movie Fat, Sick, & Nearly Dead in early February (it's currently on Netflix, Hulu Plus AND Amazon Instant Video). Before the night was over, we were researching juicers, to help our bodies detox (which some call a "body reboot", for good reason), and to hopefully lose a little weight, too. We decided on the Breville Ikon. The whole watching movie = buying an appliance neither of us had ever wanted before was truly bizarre, considering I thought the documentary was about fat wrestlers trying to lose weight when I first put the movie on. (I love movies like that!) I'm glad I didn't read the synopsis well, because we may not have watched what turned out to be a life-changing movie for us.

In 6 week's time, we've used the Ikon 120-140 times (3-4 times a day for 4 weeks, and still 1-2 times a day since.) It's a minor pain to wash, but only because we've done it SO. MANY. TIMES. in 6 weeks. I've had every part but the main body through the dishwasher a few times (top shelf), but usually we wash the parts by hand. They clean easily, especially if you do it right after making a juice.

We've had no issues with the juicer itself, nor anything we've put in the juicer, from whole sweet potatoes to carrots to cauliflower to collard greens. I've seen only a few tiny bits of green (probably spinach) make it into drinks on occasion; I've yet to see a seed in a juice, even from a strawberry or kiwi. The only things we don't put through it are bananas and avocados, because I've read they just turn into a mushy pulp and don't juice well (but they BLEND into juices nicely!)

PROS
Easy to use.
Juices FAST (speed and froth is considered a con by some, but if it wasn't fast like it is, I wouldn't use it daily)
3"-wide mouth allows you to fit large things in with little or no prep
Cleanup is fast and relatively painless
Not incredibly loud -- I'd say it's vacuum cleaner-loud. It's on such a short time it doesn't matter.
Makes LOTS of juice for the amount of produce you put in. This morning, the first 2 oranges I threw in (no peel) made 9-10 oz of juice.
Most importantly, it will give you the ability to make possibly the healthiest drinks you'll ever have. Even my son (age 12) has had one every morning since the juicer arrived. I wouldn't have believed it two months ago had you told me he'd be eager to have drinks made of kale, spinach, carrots, plus a bunch of fruity goodness.
The breakfast drinks have turned a house of grouches into morning people -- and that's without coffee!!!

CONS (but not really)
The price. Looks like it's wavered between $199-$299 on Amazon...keep an eye out for the lower prices. We got ours as an Amazon "Warehouse Deal" (see tiny link at bottom of page). It was $184 because there was a dent in the box. Product was perfect.
But here's the thing. The price really shouldn't be a con. If you get a sub-par juicer, you'll be putting a LOT more produce through it to make the same amount of juice the higher end ones make with less. This means a LOT more produce to buy ($$), a LOT more prep work (more veggies/fruits to clean, cut, peel, etc.), and a lot more clean up. If you plan on actually using a juicer, spend more up front to save a lot in a short amount of time.

How did our detox/weight loss go? In four weeks of solely juicing I lost 18 pounds; in just two weeks my husband lost 19 pounds (figures!) My migraines have disappeared, my husband's snoring has entirely stopped, and our serious caffeine addictions are gone. I've had this annoying ringing sound in my right ear for months...it disappeared around the second week, and has not returned. Our energy is through the roof - in general AND during workouts. The day after we stopped the full detox/juice fast we both gained a few pounds back (which is completely expected and understandable). Weeks later we're still down all the weight but those few pounds. What's more, we still feel great and haven't 'regained' any bad habits. We both still have at least a juice a day, and we'll definitely both do an occasional reboot as needed. What drug, pill, powder, diet has EVER done that for anyone, without side effects? Veggies and fruits rock!

UPDATE 4/29/12

My husband and I are still doing very well, and still juice at least once a day. We're still only a few pounds up, a month after our detox. But the detox/juice feast/fast felt so good the first time around, we've decided to do a second, starting tomorrow. The reason for the update, actually, is to comment on my 12-year old son. He's still having a juice every morning before school -- often with a hard boiled egg on the side. He weighs himself daily, and tonight he told me he's lost 5 pounds in the last 2 months!

"Let food by thy medicine, and let medicine be thy food." -Hippocrates

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Powerful Extraction Juicer but with fatal flaw., May 1, 2011

However, there is a design flaw in this juicer that basically makes it more fragile than you would expect from its powerful motor.

Basically, and this is easy to do, the motor can be overloaded easily. This wouldn't be a problem if the juicer had a circuit breaker with a reset switch. If you overload the motor an internal fuse blows and you have to return the juicer to Breville to be repaired. There actually is a ciruit breaker type switch in the unit, which is reset by turning the on/off switch off and then on. But the fuse blows out very easily, in effect overriding the reset function.

How can you overload the motor? There are several ways. The manual says not to run the motor on high for more than a minute. You can force hard vegetables into the juicer slowing or stalling the motor. This is easy to do because the spout is so wide you could put a large piece of vegetable in all at once, perhaps without cutting (e.g. beets). The pulp output can become jammed up and you might not notice. This will strain the motor. The pulp output can jam up near the cutting wheel without the pulp container filling up. The cutting wheel screen unit can become clogged up. Low voltage at your home also can strain the motor.

I had them fix the unit and will just have to treat it very gently. Listen to the motor for a change in speed.

Note: I've had a less powerful Champion Juicer for over 25 years with no overload problem because it has a mechanical overload switch in it that protects the motor.

I have added more information in a comment I made as of 2-19-12.

5.0 out of 5 stars well built juicer, August 18, 2007
Breville BJE510 was nominated Australian Design Award and it deserves it indeed.
Built very well with outstanding attention to detail, solid stainless steel feed chute, thick and mirror finished acrylic parts that do not have difficult to wash nooks. Juicing carrots left no stains and washing with paper towel and few drops of mild detergent took about 3 minutes for acrylic parts and 5 minutes for the basket with help of soft brush. Locking bar is solid metal with safety - motor will not start if bar is not raised to lock position to prevent any accidental startup. Speed dial has solid feel and digital info display is very cool looking. After choosing speed the power requirement is automatically adjusting according to load. Unit is slightly heavy yet within a reason. Cutter assembly has simple yet solid lock and is easy to remove - no more pulling apart stuck cutter basket and motor base wondering when you are finally going to break it. Pulp from veggies comes out with little moisture and not dripping wet, so efficiency appears to be quite good. Amazon shipping came in double carton and manufacturer also uses very thick padding therefore no problem with shipping and no damage of any kind. In one sentence, this juicer is practically designed, works very well and looks good.

4.0 out of 5 stars Ikon: Almost perfect. Better than Elite, November 30, 2008
Gloria Scott (New York City, NY, USA) - See all my reviews
I've had the opportunity to try both the Elite and the Ikon. I much prefer the Ikon. I found the Elite unnecessarily large. Both have the same ample-sized 3" fruit and vegetable receptacle in width, but the Elite's "food pusher" and chute are longer than the Ikon's, making the Elite more difficult to fit under an upper kitchen cabinet. The Elite looked too industrial and imposing on the counter. The Ikon looks "just right," and the Ikon's additional speed controls are a great plus. Also, the Ikon's "safety locking arm" is easier to use, possibly because it's more substantial, and the "arm" is more attractive than the Elite's.

WORTH NOTING: I bought the Ikon from Bed, Bath & Beyond. With their 20% off coupon, it was less expensive than Amazon's price and I didn't have to wait for Amazon to ship it to me. (I live close enough to BB&B to have been able to bring the juicer home in my shopping cart so no shipping charge was incurred -- both now charge sales tax, at least if bought in or sent to New York City so there was no saving for me if I bought from Amazon.) I returned the first Ikon to BB&B for another because I sensed something was not totally right. Sure enough the second Ikon felt and sounded perfect. (The pulp was definitely drier. I still sometimes run the pulp through a second time and the juice yield is greater. I just don't know if the additional amount is worth the effort.) I suspect variations of quality between the machines occurs frequently, so don't hesitate to make an exchange if you believe something is wrong. Amazon.com and BB&Beyond are very customer friendly so returning and/or exchanging was very easy.

WORTH NOTING #2: The reconditioned Breville juice extractor I received from Amazon.com was in amazingly bad condition. (I think the former owner cleaned the plastic juicer cover with the cleaning brush that should be used only on the filter basket.) The plastic was so scratched that no part of it was clear. The machine should never have been sent to me. The good news is that Amazon.com took it back with only a few questions.) I have since learned that there's a link on the ordering page for juicers that are "reconditioned" that allows you to specify the condition of the reconditioned machine that you're willing to accept.

Thanks to the reviews I read on Amazon.com of others who experienced the juicers before me, I knew to use a plastic bag in the pulp container -- definitely a helpful hint. I think too much is made of the difficulty and time consumption involved in cleaning the juicer. The important part to clean ASAP is the stainless steel filter basket. I just fill the sink with warm, sudsy water and drop parts in to be cleaned when I'm ready. If the plastic does become stained by carrots, a little fresh lemon rubbed on the stain removes it.

Good luck on your choice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Time + Money + Breville = Great Juices, June 3, 2008
I have a young daughter and it was a desire to be a good parent that drove me to buy this juicer.

Why I bought a Juicer:
I have a young daughter and as a parent I want the absolute best for her. Looking through the supermarket looking for good juices for her I found so many interesting things:

a) Labels at the supermarkets are confusing: sometimes mango juice is 98% apple juice with 1% mango and has all kinds of things like sugar, corn syrup, stabilizers etc.
b) You have to be very careful and become knowledgeable on what "from concentrate," "not from concentrate," "pasteurized," "stabilized," "5% real juice," "10% real juice," "no sugar added," "etc," means.

After a couple of months of reading labels and books, I became a learned shopper for juices. I only buy 100% natural orange juice, not from concentrate, without additives etc. Beyond orange juice though, things become very complicated: Just try to find 100% mango juice with no sugar, high fructose corn syrup, stabilizers etc added to it ---- I found it pretty much impossible and you can't get watermelon juice, cantaloupe juice, guava juice (well really hard), strawberry juice etc -- and if you happen to find something decent it was probably packaged in South Africa and shipped here with no clear markings on when it was packaged.

So, in order to get my daughter a greater variety of juices...made from more than just orange juice in a 100% natural fashion drove me to buy a juicer.

Why I bought this Juicer:
I looked at so many juicers and the basic principle on 99% of them work in pretty much the same way:

a) you have a spinning cone shaped cup with a very fine mesh on the outside.
b) a blade at the bottom of the cone tears up the fruit
c) the centripetal force smashes the ground up material against the mesh sides -- juice flows through the wall of the strainer while the fibrous leftovers stay in the spinning mesh cup
d) the juice makes it through and dry fibers get pushed up due to the cone shape of the container and finally out of the top of the cup onto a receptacle on the side
e) Viola! -- Juice!....oh, and Messy leftovers!

Given that the basic principles are the same for most juicers, I started looking for a few things:

a) The best constructed product out there
b) Ease of cleaning
c) Versatility

-- Construction
This Breville product is indeed very durable. Its rock solid. I can't say enough about how tough this product is. Bear in mind there are quite a few plastic products on it which are crystal clear. Yes they could break but seems unlikely that they will unless I bang them against something pretty hard.

-- Ease of Cleaning
The clear pastic parts have a plus that it makes it easy to clean and see that everything is clean.

The mesh is much easier to clean than I thought

--Versatility
The motor has several speeds to help get the most juice out of different fruits. Speed is important. If the speed is too fast, juicy fruits will be spun out of the juicing cone leaving precious juice in the fibrous remains. So I really like the 5speed variable speed.

What I have found:
a) Juicing is Hard --
-- Depending on the fruit it can take a lot of fruit to make little juice
-- Cantalope, Watermelon make lots of juice from each
-- Oranges make medium amounts of juice from each
-- Pineapples, Mangos, Peachers make little juice from each
-- You have to prepare the fruits before you go down the road of juicing and this takes time
-- Once you have all of your ingredients prepared, its almost heartbreaking to see the Breville turn them into juice in about 30 seconds --- literally 30 minutes preparing fruits sometimes so that the juicer can crush them in 30 seconds and then to make half a pitcher that you drink in 3 minutes....hmmm

b) Juicing is Expensive
-- You have to buy fruits that are in season and cheap otherwise juicing is a prohibitively expensive proposition
-- No matter what type of fruit you use save watermelon and cantalope, it will always seem that you're throwing tons of fruit into the hungry beast to make very little juice.
-- It is amazing how much fruit this machine will consume and all that fruit is pricey
-- So, unless you're a millionaire and have all the time in the world, you're going to be relegated to making juice only from things that are in season.

c) Juicing is Great
-- Ok now you're probably saying, "oh, I don't know about this whole juicing thing after this crazy guy points out all the negatives." Not quite, there are a ton of positives to juicing.

The Opportunist Blender -- I'm blending all kinds of different fruits, especially all the marginal fruit in my refrigerator (I used to buy lots of fruit, and still do, and don't consume it all) As that fruit gets ripe and just before it goes to waste, before I would just throw it out, but now I just bring out my juicer and throw it all into the machine. It makes short work of blueberries, strawberries, all berries and then I throw in a few oranges (oranges have become my defacto base for my juices) and viola! I've saved my old fruits that would've gone to waste and I've created a healthy concoction that I could never get at the store....don't ask me to recreate it but all and I mean all my blends taste great with the Breville.

The Health Nut -- I make it a point to blend at least 1 to 2 times a week for my daughter and I absolutely know 100% that she's getting 100% fresh and pure juice and she loves the juices I make! She looks forward to juicing. She's 2 and she just sits there on a highchair while I juice -- such wonderful times.

Overall:
a) The Juicer has NOT replaced supermarket juices. I still buy 100%orange juice, not from concentrate
b) I don't buy other juices like mango juice etc
c) I still buy Motts for Tots kindof juices (go figure)
d) The Juicer has allowed me to supplement our diet with 100% natural juices a few times a week
e) The juicer has allowed me to use fruit that I would otherwise throw away.

What I Learned After Owning the Breville:
-- Juicing is not the glorious thing that its made out to be in the infomercials, its tedious, dirty, expensive, and you get little juice
-- Its very healthy and if you do it right (with in season, juicy fruits), you can make some wonderful and very healthy juices....You know exactly what you're putting into it
-- If you're going to buy a juicer, buy this a fantastic choice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Juicer, worth every penny, December 12, 2007
I look forward to using this juicer every day. I used to own a more expensive juicer but cleaning it was such a pain I stopped juicing and gave it away. After doing tons of research I settled on the Ikon Juicer which is just perfect. My biggest concern was cleaning. It takes about 10-15 minutes to clean by hand but you can rinse the parts and just put it in the dishwasher. The pulp comes out dry so all the juice is extracted pretty much. I disagree with the complaint that people have that the juicer is too loud. It's not that bad actually. The design is very cool looking compared to other juicers. I've used it for about 2 weeks and made a variety of juices and I see and feel the difference in myself. Lets face it, if you're single, cooking and cleaning are not at the top of your list. The Ikon lets you get all the nutrients from fruits and vegetables in their purest form immediately without the headache of cooking and cleaning. If you are serious about your health, spend the money and buy the Breville Ikon Juicer. You won't regret it.

4.0 out of 5 stars So please with my new juicer, May 17, 2008
Breville BJE510XL Ikon 900-Watt Variable-Speed Juice Extractor

I knew I wanted a juicer, but when I sat down to look at what was available, there were so many decisions to make. I think this juicer is the best you can get in this price range. All the reviews I read said it was easy to use and to clean up and they were correct. It is easy to take apart and put together, relatively compact - it takes less space on my counter than my food processor and I use it more - and makes great juice. Using a plastic bag to line the waste bin makes cleanup even easier. I have discovered that the chopper/screen mechanism needs to be rinsed if I am making a larger batch of juice. Strawberry seeds especially get caught by it and need to be rinsed away. It comes with a special brush to clean this part and is is quick and easy to take that part out, rinse and put it back in and continue juicing. If this isn't done, then the pulp in the waste bin has more moisture and juice is wasted.

The five speeds are great, so that oranges/strawberries/watermelon juice as a slower speed than carrots/apples/celery and the juice is effectively extracted. I am very happy and use my juicer every day for fabulous healthful drinks and I am no longer sending plastic bottles to the landfill from buying juice.