5.0 out of 5 stars Less known but far superior product over 800JEXL
Dual disc juicer when compared to 800JEXL is superior in features in many ways. Just to list a few
1) Motor is 1200 watts against 1000 watts in 800JEXL
2) Rotary speed dial with speeds 1 to 5- Higher for harder fruits & vegetables compared to flip switch achieving two speeds in 800JEXL
3) Ability to make soft fruit smoothies in dual disc in addition to...
Published on March 5, 2011 by Nish

3.0 out of 5 stars Powerful But Inefficient Juicer.
Published on July 1, 2011 by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Less known but far superior product over 800JEXL, March 5, 2011
This review is from: Breville BJE820XL Juice Fountain Duo Dual Disc Juicer (Kitchen)
1) Motor is 1200 watts against 1000 watts in 800JEXL
3) Ability to make soft fruit smoothies in dual disc in addition to juicing anything
4) 3.5" dia feeder compared to 3" in 800JEXL.

I use it daily for vegetable juice on week days and fruit smoothies on weekends.

I use those vegetables in juicing which otherwise I generally donot eat.
For example
One large tomato, two stems of celery, one large carrot, half lime or lemon and a small piece of ginger
With lime, I donot need to add salt. With this pure juice, I have stopped taking V8 juice.

For week end, I use smoothies made from banana & seasonal fruits like berries and non fat milk and if needed, I add mango pulp.

Very fast in juicing and very easy to clean even during week day before work.

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE this thing!, August 13, 2011
My wife and I are "first time juicers"- Why didn't I try this years ago? :)

I wanted a well-made, high quality juicer that was easy to clean and did the job well. I didn't want a marginal unit I'd have to trade up from. (Hint from others: Buy a good one the first time.)

This model Breville works VERY well. Thorough clean-up and drying takes five minutes max and assembly and dis-assembly is cake: Pop the big chrome bail arm 90 degrees and the top shroud comes off, revealing the cutter assembly and stainless juicer shroud. All pop loose and wash easily. After rinsing, I wipe the parts down with a dish towel and leave them sitting on a Sham-wow to dry while I enjoy my juice. My wife finds it easy to use and juicing up a huge mound of veggies and fruits takes maybe a minute once the items are ready to go. My wife thinks it's actually fun to use this machine. Me too.

The motor hardly sags under even the hardest fruits (green apple seems to be the tougher of the fruits we have tried) but, when it does, the speed sensing circuitry adds power to the motor to keep it at the set speed. The speed control knob is an infinitely variable type. Most of what we do works very well on low speed. The motor assembly is nicely heavy and this adds considerable stability when juicing harder fruits and veggies. (The last small piece of an item may slide under the juicer shroud and into the basket which momentarily puts the basket out of balance. That is normal.) The weight of the machine never makes the unit "wobbly" or unstable. Yet, the machine is not too heavy for my wife to move around the counter easily. (Comments about the gap between the chute and basket edge are not exactly correct. You have to have a space between the chute and the basket/grinder to allow ground material to exit the grinding process and pass into the basket where the juice is extracted. We have found the number of large pieces in the waste bucket few and far between.)

The plastic parts are extremely well made and heavy duty. The clear lid is thick and strong. The waste bucket fits nicely under the lid, holding it in place so you never get "veggie parts" flying around your kitchen. This model comes with a nice clear juice pitcher (not pictured in the web pic) that nestles under the angled juice spout (tube).

As one rater above recommended, "Just buy this one and you will love it." I did and I sure do. Haven't tried the other cutter head for smoothies yet but it's so easy to change heads.

Again, if you can swing this model, buy in confidence. This thing is heirloom quality and will work for decades. The quality work on the stainless juicing shroud alone is a work of art (for techno geeks).

(I am a tech and tool guy who appreciates the quality of a nicely designed and manufactured tool. I have been a wood worker for 40 years, using all types of power tools and machinery. But, even if you aren't, you'll find this device easy and fun to use. My wife enjoys using it and finds it easy to operate and clean.)

5.0 out of 5 stars You can't go wrong if you're looking for a centrifugal juicer / juice processor, May 3, 2011
A. H. Sudbury (Orlando, FL USA) - See all my reviews
This is one of the best purchases I've made at Amazon. The Breville BJE820XL Dual Disc Juice Processor is an upgraded Breville 800JEXL Juice Fountain Elite which doubles as both a premium quality juicer and juice processor.

I decided to get into juicing again after a multi-year hiatus due to having a baby girl and wanting to wean her off formula. Note that in 2003 I owned the ever-popular Jack Lalanne Power Juicer which ultimately was a disappointment and took me away from juicing for several years. I spent over two weeks researching different brands, makes and models of juicers before deciding on this product. Although it is somewhat more expensive than many of the centrifugal juicers on the market, if you intend to make good use of your juicer, you will not be disappointed.

When I unpacked the product from the box, I was immediately impressed. The Breville BJE820XL assembles and disassembles easily in 5 steps that are clearly explained in the owner's manual. The juicer base (which houses its powerful 1200-watt motor) is a heavy, brushed metallic stainless steel construction. The juicer can be assembled to operate as a centrifugal juicer, which will separate the fibers contained in fruits and vegetables from the juice, or as a juice processor, which liquifies soft fruits without separating the fibers. My father has always said that to maintain your health you should "eat your fruit and drink your vegetables." With this appliance, you can stay true to this saying but have the convenience of drinking both!

The Jack Lalanne Power Juicer doesn't hold a candle to the Breville BJE820XL. The Breville's rock solid construction, stainless steel material, powerful motor, ultra-wide feed tube and easy assembly / disassembly make it worth every penny. This juicer has five speed settings -- although Breville only recommends using the lowest setting with the puree assembly. It is fairly quiet at the lowest setting, used for soft fruits like grapes and citrus; but at its highest setting, it sounds like an industrial strength power drill. This isn't a problem in my book as I'll take the power over quiet any day. With such a solid product, my only real complaint is that I wish it came with a longer warranty. Unless you buy an extended service plan, you are only covered under Breville's one-year limited warranty.

If there is one thing I'd like to highlight about this product is how easy it is to CLEAN. Each part separates from the base easily and cleanly, and you can clean the entire thing by rinsing, EXCEPT for the juicing disc which requires soap and the included brush to ensure it stays free of lingering fiber. In the mornings, it takes me a grand total of fifteen minutes to prep the fruit, juice it using the Breville BJE820XL, and clean up after myself. With fifteen minutes, my 14-month old daughter has FRESH FRUIT JUICE ALL DAY!

Can't recommend it any higher! Five stars!

Adam
Orlando, FL

UPDATE 3/17/12: After almost a year, this device is still going strong with heavy use. I now also have a 2-month old baby boy who isn't enjoying juice quite yet, but in about six months I will let him try!

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly comercial grade, fantastic product, March 15, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
In today's world, the term "commercial grade" is tossed around very casually. Often it's just a marketing tool to make you think an item is built to a higher standard than it acutally is. However, in this case, even though Breville does not use the words, I could think of no better term to describe this beast.

You know you have a real product here when you take it out of the box. It's HEAVY. Not ridiculously heavy, not too heavy to move, just sturdy and well made. When you turn it on, you can hear and almost feel the power this device is going to bring to the task at hand.

The juice this makes is great, you can control the pulp that you get, or don't get.

We have owned cheaper juicers in the past, but honestly that is like comparing apple juice and orange juice (pun intended) there is simply no comparison.

You will not regret for one moment making this purchase! I recommend this juicer without hesitation or reservation.

3.0 out of 5 stars Powerful But Inefficient Juicer., July 1, 2011
I had high hopes when I ordered this juicer but I can state here that I am not impressed by the performance once I received it. I bought mine "refurbished" or should I say 'returned'? from geekdeal, one of the Breville authorized dealers, on ebaY. It came with one year manufacturers warranty and frankly does not look like the previous owner used it at all. There was a note pasted under the motor housing that says "tested and Cleaned".

Now I know what you might be thinking: gee if it was refurbished it must have been defective. But no this machine works just like similar Breville machines I have seen.

The Positives:
This machine is thoughtfully designed and everything assembles and fits perfectly. It can win an award in the aesthetic category. The stainless steel finish makes cleaning a snap. It even comes with a brush that also doubles as a spatula but I prefer to clean the screen with OXO Good Grips Soap Squirting Dish Brush. Juice container cover has a built in froth separator. The wide feed chute make juicing less of a hassle as you can juice a whole fruit without cutting it to smaller pieces. It has 1200 watts motor with variable speed which makes it a very fast juicer. The puree disc works as it is supposed to even though I doubt most people would ever use it.

The Negatives:
This juicer is less efficient than my 12 yrs old Juiceman JR which cost considerably less when I purchased it. The Breville leaves much of carrot, celery and greens unprocessed. The main reason for it I believe is that this machine and indeed much of the Breville elite lines (at least the ones I have checked out) has a wide gap clearance between the end of the feed tube and the juice disc. This is a fundamental design flaw. This is excerbated by the high revolution rate of the juice disc which invariably throws much of the fruits and veges into the pulp basket unprocessed (See some of the images I uploaded in the customers image section). There is also a loud slapping sound towards the end of the juicing cycle whenever you push the last fruit all the way through. It produces a lot of foam and hence the need for the froth separator.
Another negative which may be inherent in the power of this machine is that it is very loud when processing at the full speed. I thought my Vitamix Super 5000 is loud but boy this Breville is definitely louder at full speed.

Final Thought:
If I had paid full price for this juicer I would have returned it for full refund. I am sure the reason there is a lot of refurbished Breville juicers for sale is because a lot of buyers are dissatisfied with their performance overall. In my opinion they are not worth the full price but if you can buy them used or refurbished then go for it so long as you are aware of the aforementioned limitations. Better still buy the less expensive Breville 800JEXL Juice Fountain Elite 1000-Watt Juice Extractor

What I have done to improve on the performance is by selecting one speed less than the recommended setting and to not push the pusher all the way through till the last batch of fruits and veges are inserted into the feed tube. This later maneuver greatly reduces and postpones that annoying slapping sound till the end of the juicing cycle.

I will keep this Machine but will eventually upgrade to Super Angel 5500 Stainless Steel Living Juice Extractor Machine - Super Heavy Duty Juicer: Juices Fruits, Vegetables, Leafy Greens, Wheatgrass

If I am in the market right now for a new stainless steel centrifugal juicer I would purchase the less expensive 1000 watts Breville 800JEXL Juice Fountain Elite 1000-Watt Juice Extractor instead.

I posted some pictures on the product main page.

5.0 out of 5 stars Probably not best for first-timers, but a GREAT machine, June 13, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have to admit that before using this super-professional Juicer from Breville, I hadn't had much experience with juicing outside of loving Jamba Juice smoothies. Since then, however, I've quickly turned into quite the health nut. Orange juice has never tasted more delicious, carrots, apples and celery can make a surprisingly yummy vege-drink. Pineapple juice is a favorite. Sometimes, if I'm feelin' spicy, I'll even throw in a bell peper to one of my vegetable mashes and it can end up being very tasty indeed.

In my opinion, Juicers have become the new blender or toaster: a must-have kitchen accessory. The question you're no doubt asking, however, is: is it worth spending $300+ on this one when there are $50 versions out there? I, too, asked this and fortunately my brother had actually bought one of those cheaper-version juicers and I got a chance to compare durability, cleanup, and amount of juice extracted. On average, the Breville BJE820XL ran significantly quieter, had an easier system of cleaning, and made more juice. Based on these results I developed a Pros and Cons list, and here it is:

PROS:
- Extracts more juice than cheaper models.
- Cleanup is easy (make sure to put a trash or shopping bag in the rubbish end for REALLY easy cleanup).
- Includes the "Smoothie Disc" for soft fruits or whenever you want some of the fibers blended in to your drink.
- EXTREMELY heavy duty. This is a HEAVY machine and very durable. It's built to last.
- Quiet. MUCH more quiet than the cheap juicer. Even on the highest setting it's just a low spinning noise. Compared to a blender, it sounds like the hum of an air conditioner.

CONS:
- Expensive. Since carrot and celery juice can be an acquired taste and buying fresh fruits and veges to juice can get expensive in itself, I don't know that this would be the best "starter juicer" for someone just getting into the scene. There's a good chance juicing may not impress your taste buds enough that you would need such a high-end model sitting on your counter never getting used. Also, if you shop on a budget, be prepared for additional expenses if you juice more than just carrots.

- More juice, but not a TON more. The Breville does extract more juice than cheaper models, but the results weren't hugely significant to where it would be a crime to use a cheaper machine. Like the previous point, fresh fruits/vegetables can be expensive, so you want the most bang for your buck - but if that means having to spend $400 on a juicer that you don't use every day, you may not even see the offset in the machine's lifetime.

- Fairly large. This isn't a HUGE machine, but if you don't have a lot of counter space it can take up a lot of space that you may not have.

- More parts than a blender. This is for the people new to juicing, though cleanup is essentially easy, there are a lot of parts that need to be washed after each use and it can take a lot of time to do it. I would not recommend making this investment if you don't have the time or energy to rinse off a few extra dishes.

OVERALL: I LOVE this juicer. I use it all the time and am constantly discovering new recipes, some that were in the book that's included and some I made on my own. The machine is quiet, fast, and extracts a ton of juice out of just about everything. The multiple settings allow me to properly juice hard stuff and soft stuff. It's great.

However, I would still not recommend it to someone who is wanting to juice for the very first time. Try out a friend's or start with a cheaper model, see if the healthy goodness of fresh juiced fruits and vegetables are worth the extra effort and extra expenses at the grocery store. If it is, then without a shadow of a doubt I would recommend the Breville BJE820XL. It really gets the job done.

4.0 out of 5 stars So far so good! And some thoughts on centrifugal vs masticating juicers., January 2, 2013
Let me start out by observing that no juicer [especially in this price range] is perfect. They all have their pros and cons and each will excel at different tasks. Definitely keep that in mind while doing your homework.

It's important to note that there are two types of juicers out there in this price range: masticating and centrifugal. The Breville BJE820XL is a powerful centrifugal juicer. Centrifugal juicers tend to excel at juicing large amounts of produce quickly but sometimes at the expense of yield. Masticating juicers, on the other hand, usually produce juice at a slower rate and require more prep work [cutting veggies and fruits into small pieces, pushing produce down feed chute], but they tend to provide a higher yield [with more pulp]. Based on my experience with both types of juicers [I had an Omega 8006 that I returned in exchange for the Breville BJE820XL], the masticating juicers seem to do better with leafy greens but are more prone to jamming up with certain items when compared to centrifugal juicers. With the Omega, I had problems with pineapple/apples/ etc. turning into baby food and jamming up the entire apparatus/requiring disassembly. Talk about a yield killer! The Breville BJE820XL, on the other hand, will absolutely obliterate just about anything you stick down the chute... but may not get quite the same yield depending on blade speed and feed rate.

OK, with the background info out of the way, lets get down to my overall experience with the Breville. I've had it for several days now, and I can truly say that this thing is a BEAST! It can turn 6 large carrots into a glass of smooth juice and a handful dry carrot dust in under 2 seconds. Now that's what I'm talking about! The BJE820XL really loves carrots and apples. It does acceptably well with leafy greens as long as you turn the speed down, make leafy green "bundles," and alternate produce type. Even at the lowest speed, the Breville pulverizes just about anything and is still WAY faster than the masticating Omega 8006 I returned. The feed chute is plenty big, so there is significantly less prep work involved with the produce when compared to masticating juicers.

I think the key with this juicer is to press the produce down slow and steady in order to maximize yield. I only get large chunks of unprocessed produce if I turn it up to max speed and push the produce through as fast as I can.

Aesthetically, the Breville BJE820XL is a winner. The stainless steel is so nice. Picking up the machine and its individual parts, the words that come to mind are "solid" and "quality."

Cleanup is a breeze. I clean it up with hot water and I'm done within 3 minutes.

I took off one star because I feel that, at 399$, it is a bit too expensive for a centrifugal juicer. Maybe over time, I will change my mind about the value if it continues to perform well for many years.

If you're looking for a powerful juicer that excels at fast juicing, easy cleanup, nice aesthetics, and a lower pulp juice of high quality, then the Breville BJE820XL is for you. There is a small sacrifice in yield when compared to masticating juicers, but for me, the reduced prep work, ultra fast juicing, and savage power of the Breville BJE820XL seems to fit my needs the best. If you want the highest possible yield with a pulpier juice and are willing to deal with more prep work and significantly more time spent juicing and pushing produce down the chute, I would consider a masticating juicer.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Very Well-Designed, Smooth(ie) Processor!, February 9, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Let me start off saying that prior to selecting this appliance from the Amazon Vine program, I have been a big fan of juice drinks and smoothies but totally inexperienced in making them from scratch. However, shortly after using this well-designed, easy to use, high quality product from Breville, I enjoy the smoothies this product enables me to make at least as much as those I pay too much for at places like Jamba Juice.

The Breville BJE820Xl Dual Disc Juice Processor, while pricey, makes the expression "you get what you pay for" more true than ever. Why is this so? One key reason is that its puree disc and insert, which purees fruits such as mangoes, oranges and bananas, and retains the fiber rich fiber pulp for thick, all-fruit smoothies. (Further, while I haven't used this disc for making the following, it also is supposed to be great for making healthy dips, sauces, soups and sorbets). A second reason is the juice disc, which extracts only the juice from fruits and vegetables that enables an 8oz glass to be ready in just about five seconds. A third reason is its 3" wide chute that allows you to process whole fruits and vegetables without pre-cutting. Reason four is that it comes with an extra large 1.2 liter jug with froth separator; and reason five is its excellent engineering that enables the processor to operate in a very quiet manner due to its high torque, 1200 watt motor. And if the above reasons aren't enough, this appliance's heavy grade die-cast metal body gives it a very professional appearance.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just bought my Breville and Love it, March 2, 2013
Okay - - True confessions first. I am coming back to juicing after a 5 year lapse. I still have a Champion juicer on the shelf, and a Jumbo Twin Gear Juicer in the closet. I didn't like my Champion that much because it had trouble with leafy vegetables; and celery and and parsley would gum it up. And I didn't like the twin gear juicer because I had to cut up my veggies ahead of time, the process of juicing was slow, and it took me forever to clean up. I spent more time at the sink than any other part of the process.

So that's why I bought the Breville.

Like most guys, I didn't read the instructions for the Breville Dual-Disc, but 5 minutes out of the box and I am already juicing.

I like this machine, I really do. It's a whiz with the soft green vegetables (select speed level 1)- such as Spinach, Arguela, Kale - but it can grind up a full apple, carrot or beet just as easily at speed level 3. I never needed to go up to 5, and the Breville was quieter (and more efficient) than my Champion at level 3.

I've read a lot in these reviews about the noise of a Breville. Not my experience, and I have a cavernous kitchen and the Breville sits on a marble counter top. But I suppose at the highest level (1,200 rpm) it might sound like a plane landing. But as I said, I didn't need to go there, and it was quieter than anything else I own at the speeds I ran it.

I want four things in my juicing experience, and except for item 1, the Breville fulfilled them all:

1) pre-washed organic fruits and vegetables (try Organic Girl at Whole Foods - 3x washed baby spinach or mixed greens). Cleaning dirt and sand off of organic vegetables is a waste of time, water, and the sink - and if it eventually gets into your juicer - the juice and the blades too. I have a lot of not-so-fond memories of washing (and then washing again) fresh organic spinach, beets, and carrots. So I want as many clean vegetables as possible before I even begin.

2) I also don't want to take up a lot of time cutting and trimming vegetables before I can put them in the juicer to extract. Who knows, I might even cut my fingers sawing on a carrot or a beet? I just want to throw 'em in the juicer spout: no cutting, trimming or preparing needed - just ripping. The Breville's 3 inch mouth is perfect for this purpose. All carrots, cucumbers, medium-sized apples and beets (with their greens attached)fit easily without cutting them down to size.

3) I want a juicer than can do soft leafy vegetables just as easily as it does rock-hard root crops and fruits. With the Breville, you turn the speed dial up a tad or down a tad, depending on the hardness of the plant, and you've handled it. That's it. I also want my juicer to manage stringy cellulose products like Parsley and Celery. These vegetables can gum up juicers (Like they did on my Champion) because they turn to rope on the blades.

4) I want to set up quickly; and when I am done, I want to clean up quickly. I want to drink my juice and get on with my day. The fresh juice is why I juice, not all the other attendant stuff (1-3 above). On this score, the Breville gets HIGH marks. In 5 minutes I was set up. Washing all the parts in the sink afterwards took about 5-7 minutes.

The Breville comes with an adaquate plastic receptacle for holding your juice (a lot of juice). However, if you want to keep your juice in the fridge for later, you have to cover the Breville container with Saran-wrap. Too bad they didn't offer a second "sealing" top for their juice container. I know we are supposed to drink our juice right away, but creating an air-tight lid would probably cost the manufacturers an extra 20 cents per Breville and it would add a nice optional touch for customers.

The ONLY area in which the Breville falls short is the amount of juice you get out on the first pass-through. Paltry. I would say about 40% less than other juice-makers. I was really surprised, especially when I looked at the composition of the vegetable matter in the compost bucket. It looked like someone with a blazing fast knife had cut the vegetables up into tiny tiny pieces, but had not juiced them.

But I am used to this with my champion, and applied an easy fix. I added 4 or 5 oz. of purified water to the compost bucket, gave it a few seconds to absorb, and then ran that back through the juicer a second time. This time I got a LOT of juice out, and the amount of compost was cut in half, so I know I was getting more juice out on the second pass.

I liked the consistency of the juice I got too: very refined; almost no foam, no heat, perfectly blended.

After my experience with the high-end model, I would say any of the cheaper Brevilles would probably be okay, as long as you at least bought the $200 model (Juice Fountain Plus 850 or Multi 900). I have barely touched the speed dial on my mine. Also, I doubt if I would use the Puree blade. If you want to make smoothies, it's just as easy to use a blender (good enough for Jamba Juice, yes?) than unpack all the parts for this. Maybe I'll try it, but I know a good blender can do a great job on pre-cut mangos, apples, kiwis, pineapple, strawberries, blueberries, bananas etc (Yum)

4.0 out of 5 stars Extracts lots of juice and cleans up relatively easily, February 24, 2011
I bought this product a year ago as my first juicer. I had always enjoyed having fresh squeezed juices out at restaurants and smoothie shops and was intrigued by the idea of being able to make them at home. Not having any experience with juicers going in I've been impressed with how much I've used this and how much it's lived up to my expectations.

From a function perspective, what I love about this juicer is that because it comes with two disks (a juicing and a pureeing disk) it allows you to juice quite a wide range of fruits and veggies from the very hard to the very soft. This was a huge plus for me because never having a juicer before I had no idea what I was going to want to juice. In reality, I rarely use the pureeing disk, but I like having it available if I decide I want to work with a very soft fruit.

Of other things I enjoy about the function of this product - it juices quickly. This is great for when you are making a large batch of something as I often do with lemons for lemonade. The large feed tube is also nice because it cuts down on the amount of time I spend chopping veggies or fruits before I put them in the juicer. Apples and oranges (once peeled) often easily fit in whole for me. The only things I have to cut up are larger fruit and veggies such as melon. I also like that it extracts a LOT of juice. Sure there is always going to be a little moisture left on the pulp, but with this machine I get quite a bit of juice from every piece of fruit or vegetable.

I also liked that the bulk of the parts could be dishwasher safe. For me this is a HUGE plus because I have realized that if I am going to use an appliance a lot I do not want to be continually handwashing things, but do want to feel like I am keeping them clean so they will last over time. To minimize my cleaning I also line the bin where the pulp collects with small plastic shopping bags (like the kind you get from the grocery store). This works beautifully and saves me a lot of time and cleaning.

Overall, it's a really great product. I've had it over a year and have found that because it works so well and isn't difficult to clean that I use it more than I would imagine. I hardly juice by hand anymore unless I only need to do one lemon or one lime. The only unknown for me is the longevity of the product. Normally I've had really, really great luck with Breville (I also own one of their blenders), but I did have some trouble with the immersion blender. I'm not holding them to too much fault because I never reported it since the product was 2+ years old by that point, but it does make me question how well this product will survive long term with occasional use. That said, because of my success with the other breville products and this one so far I am optimistic, but it is definitely something worth considering.

Breville BJE820XL Juice Fountain Duo Dual Disc Juicer