Yes, yes, I know you can just heat milk in the microwave or on the stove, but I inevitably either scald the milk, or heat it so slowly for fear of scalding it that it takes 15 minutes. I got a Nespresso CitiZ for Christmas, and wanted something quick that I could set and forget while I was getting the coffee ready.

After much research, I chose this one over the...
Published on January 9, 2012 by Anonymous

1.0 out of 5 stars Not Reliable
I bought three of these units from Williams Sonoma and when they worked they worked well but the problem was they either never worked or only worked briefly. You pour the cold milk in the Frother and the light would come on and beep three times without frothing. If the unit started , it would produce a beautiful thick Froth: better than Starbucks but most of the time it...
Published on September 17, 2011 by Michael G. Lang

4.0 out of 5 stars Better features than Aerolatte--and it works great, once you figure out the quirks, January 9, 2012
Anonymous (Silver Spring, MD, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Breville BMF600XL Milk Café Milk Frother (Kitchen)

After much research, I chose this one over the Aerolatte for a few reasons: it has a greater milk capacity; the temperature is adjustable; and the milk container is dishwasher-safe (as opposed to the Aerolatte's, which has electronic parts attached to it and has to be carefully hand-washed). I have to say, I'm quite pleased with the purchase. Some of the other reviews made me nervous about ordering, but the features were important enough to make it worth a try. Trust me, it really is a matter of adjusting to the quirks--although the manual isn't really helpful with those!

For me, it was the cold milk that was usually the problem. I'd pour in the milk, then assemble coffee stuff or mix-ins, and in the meantime it would get condensation on the bottom that would somehow fool the machine into thinking something was wrong. It would start up, then beep three times and shut off--which the manual says means the milk level is too low, although that clearly wasn't the case. But I've found that as long as I start the machine as soon as I pour in the milk, it works fine every time. Basically, any kind of moisture on the outside of the milk container will cause it to shut off.

But once you get going, it takes about three or four minutes for huge, billowy clouds of to foam form on top of the perfect-temperature milk--every time. (I use skim, and unlike other cappuccino makers I've used, the brand doesn't seem to make a difference in the amount of foam.) I've had good success making hot chocolate with cocoa powder and sugar. Although it does foam much less than plain milk, it's creamy and gorgeous, with no graininess or undissolved ingredients (and it's great with Kahlua mixed in!). With the adjustable thermostat, I can make a vanilla steamer for my four-year-old daughter that's the perfect temperature for her. Even at the higher temperatures, I've never had a problem with scalding or burning or sticking.

Cleaning is a breeze--the stainless-steel milk container can go in the dishwasher, but it's so easy to hand wash that I've actually only run it through the DW once. The milk really just rinses right out without scrubbing.

And the cord storage and the storage space for the extra frothing disk work well, unlike some other appliances I own that make it impossible to wind the cord up neatly.

Aside from the diva factor, my only complaint is that the minimum amount of milk required is too much when I just want to make a small, one-shot cappuccino; but I think this is the case for the Aerolatte as well. My daughter doesn't mind, though, because she's the beneficiary of all my extra foam!

UPDATE: I've had this for over two years now, and it's still going strong. After using a wider variety of milk brands, I do find that a few won't froth quite as well as others. Costco skim is probably the worst, but it's still OK for a latte. Oh, and I do find that if you're going to use powdered mix-ins, you have to set the temperature higher than you normally would; the milk seems to stay a bit cooler than the thermostat indicates, and the powder dissolves better at higher temps (especially granulated sugar in homemade cocoa mix).

Very occasionally it will get temperamental on me for some unknown reason, but a jiggle of the frothing disk or a brief cool-down period is usually enough to get it working again. I honestly don't know what I'd do without this thing!

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost sent this back, November 16, 2011
This review is from: Breville BMF600XL Milk Café Milk Frother (Kitchen)
Like one of the 1 star reviews, I really didn't think this machine worked at all when I first tried it. But upon giving it another try before returning it, I realized it was just having trouble spinning up. It is magnetic action that turns the disc, not a motor, so it can get stuck; make sure it is clean and spins freely. It still sometimes has a problem spinning up, I just use a spoon to give the disc a little turn and that gets it going. Makes perfect frothed milk for my lattes, much easier than frothing by hand on my espresso maker. I fill it to just over minimum and the frothing/heating takes about 3 minutes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect. Even melts chocolate chips., January 3, 2012
This review is from: Breville BMF600XL Milk Café Milk Frother (Kitchen)
This milk frother is incredibly well designed and manufactured.

It should also be marketed as a hot chocolate maker because it also does this extremely well and none of the hot chocolate makers on the market are this well made. The instructions say to use chocolate shavings but I have used whole chocolate chips to make at least 25 batches of hot chocolate with no problems at all. Just run it with only milk until it gets warm, then add the chips.

Here's why it is so awesome:

- Stainless steel jug with NO electrical parts, no moving parts, no crevasses or strange concavities for milk to collect in, and it is DISHWASHER SAFE (unlike nearly all frothers and hot chocolate makers).

- Frothing disc is propelled magnetically through the bottom of the jug - that's right, the jug has no drive shaft at all (and hence no moving parts). The discs are also dishwasher safe, although the permanent magnets inside them will wear out faster in the dishwasher due to the extreme temperature and cycle length.

- Control dial lets you pick your desired temperature and the frother stops automatically once this is reached. Cold frothing is also available.

- Base has storage in the back for the disc that is not in use so you don't lose it. But it's magnetic so you could always stick it on your fridge so your guests ask "What is that?" and then you can show them the most awesome milk frother ever made.

5.0 out of 5 stars Far better than nespresso solution, February 1, 2012
This review is from: Breville BMF600XL Milk Café Milk Frother (Kitchen)
First off this is my second milk frother. The first one was on a Nespresso Citiz machine. There are a couple of things you need to know about these devices. First, as one reviewer noted the frothing disks spin via magnetic force so keeping them clean is paramount to success. Here is why unfortunately there is sugar in milk (lactose) and that sugar will, over time, keep the disk from spinning. Solution: take the disk off every time and clean it as well as putting the milk cafe mug in the dishwasher (this is per the mfg instruction manual) it is dishwasher safe so use the dishwasher from time to time. On the Citiz machine the disk would stick on me so often I began spraying it with Pam, also the Citiz mug had all of the electronics in it so it couldn't be placed in the dishwasher :(. This machine can also get the milk far warmer almost scalding hot! The only downside to that is it takes a little longer to heat it up that much. This machine also appears to have a better quality froth for lattes than the citiz and my citiz machine was scorching the milk where the heat element is. This machine uses magnetic induction heat that seems to be more even so I don't think that scorching will be an issue. Here is why I'm giving it 5 stars: easy to clean, even heating, gets really hot, and dishwasher safe! With SBUX raising their prices we're force to make our lattes at home so next up is the Breville Barista express!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great foam, bit of a diva, November 20, 2011
This review is from: Breville BMF600XL Milk Café Milk Frother (Kitchen)
The first couple of times we tried the milk steamer, it was a bit fussy about turning on. Press the button, the light came on, but nothing happened. After a lot of tries, we developed a routine of seating the pot firmly on the stand, twiddling the temperature dial, and then pressing go: then it works! It's been running smoothly lately, so I tried to start it recently without turning the temperature dial--no go. Once it starts, it produces luscious foam and lovely hot milk. So be prepared to pamper it a little and murmur to it softly in Italian and it will produce a wonderful result.

4.0 out of 5 stars hit or miss....Now is a Big Hit, February 7, 2012
This review is from: Breville BMF600XL Milk Café Milk Frother (Kitchen)
I love this little Breville Milk Cafe Frother. It makes luscious, frothy milk or cream every time now that I know the "trick". I've used it to froth whole, 2%, 1% cow's milk, as well as half & half and cream. I've also used it to froth nut and oat milks. I always get more froth using a cow product vs the nuts or oats.

About that "trick": I was at my witt's end trying to get this little gizmo to perform. I either missed or it's not written in the instructions from Breville that once you plug the Breville Milk Frother into the electrical receptacle, you'll need to turn the temperature adjustment all the way to the no heat setting, then up to the heat setting you want, before you press the on button. If you don't do this little step each time you use this cool little frother, you'll probably get frustrated and think the little bugger does not work. It just needs this little bit of foreplay then it will do exactly what it's designed to do.

Another one of my friends got one for a gift and thought it was broken. We just happened to be talking about coffee, frothers, and she talked about the good-for-nuthin' Breville Milk frother she had received. I told her the "trick"....she's never had a problem since.

I think you'll really like this frother. Like I said, I love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Back to 5 stars now ! Edited review, November 13, 2012
Breville BMF600XL Milk Café Milk Frother

I am a froth maniac and got tired of variable manual cappucino frothing and cleanup, so I decided to buy the Milk Cafe. It is so easy ! The milk is frothed cold or heated by induction (magnetism) up to 160 degrees and shuts off automatically. It has no element in the traditional sense, so there is no scummy element to scrub. It does sometimes stick to the sides, if you don't rinse it right away. I wish the stainless steel were smoother. It is also dishwasher safe, apparently. No more clogged frothers. Genius !

The capuccino froth is perfect...thick as meringue. I use FRESH, whole milk. Many people use 2 %. (I won't need the latte disc, so I haven't tried it, but I can assume that it would be good.) I now use a Nespresso espresso machine that uses capsules. If you don't care about using two appliances, then that would be a great compromise. Cleaning a capuccino frothing element was a lot of trouble for me and the froth was never just right.
One thing, though, the directions say that you should use a minimum of one cup of milk or liquid, but I find if I use a half cup, as long as the milk just clears the top of the disc standing still, it works fine.

First EDIT: As of February 2013, the frother began having problems. It blinks 3 times and won't froth. The error code says that the product is over-heating, but it happens immediately when I turn it on. So I have to send it to Breville. Very disappointed. I was using it maybe 2 times a week, so what then... maybe 24 uses and it broke ?

Second EDIT: February 2014, I eventually sent the frother back to Breville with no issues and a prompt response from Breville. The new machine works flawlessly. Obviously, the first machine was a lemon. Breville customer service was great.

BTW, I went back and changed some things in the original review since I have more experience with it now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Breville the Milk Cafe Creamy Milk and Hot Chocolate Make, October 30, 2011
This review is from: Breville BMF600XL Milk Café Milk Frother (Kitchen)
I purchased this frother after trying out a different product. I could not be happier! The Breville makes perfect froth for any kind of coffee drink you want. It's super easy to use. As long as you make sure the disc is pushed all the way down inside the frother, you will get the exact froth you want. It took a couple of tries to figure out the perfect temperature and froth I liked. The clean up of this product is what sold me the most. I have tried other frothers and cleaning was an arduous task at best. The Breville cleans up in a snap and can be put in the dishwasher. I have had no problems at all and would buy it all over again!

5.0 out of 5 stars worth the $ for hot choc; next best thing to steamed milk, August 10, 2012
Connie (Pennsylvania) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Breville BMF600XL Milk Café Milk Frother (Kitchen)
Great for hot chocolate drinkers. This doesn't STEAM milk, only a steaming wand can do that. I've tried steaming wands on cheap espresso makers - problem: they are cheap! And hard to clean. This is the next best thing. The milk is creamier, hotter, stays hot longer than milk heated via microwave, and you can get froth.

Use: You do have to experiment w/type of milk, amount, and which disc to use. I recommend heating the milk alone. Putting chocolate (or sugar) into the jug, even after the milk has begun to heat up, seems to prevent the milk from frothing properly. What works for me: I fill the jug up to a bit below the latte max line w/store brand organic skim milk. I use the latte disc and set temp to 155. It takes a few minutes, but I mix the cocoa in the meantime (3 tbsp Bellagio Sipping Chocolate, 2-Pound w/a bit of vanilla, stirred into a syrup using a bit of hot water). I get abt 16 ounces of hot milk w/just enough (soft) froth for topping.

Well built: I've had it and used it 3-4 times per week for about 2 months now with no problems. It is sturdy and seems built to last (but see below re: plastic lid).

Easy Cleaning: Rinse jug & lid immediately. Don't put the lid in the dishwasher. It says it is top rack safe, but mine melted in a few spots (just cosmetic damage, but still...).

Good Customer Service: I called Breville customer service, was talking to a person within 90 seconds, and asked abt buying a replacement lid. They offered a free replacement after I told them abt the dishwasher.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great milk warmer and frother - very reliable if you follow a simple step, April 9, 2012
G. Guillot (Boerne, TX USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Breville BMF600XL Milk Café Milk Frother (Kitchen)
There is a simple trick to making this unit work reliably every time - simply swish a little hot water in it before pouring in very cold milk. We use it to make hot frothy milk for coffee - puts that coffee you get from the overpriced corner coffee franchise to shame. I also use an electric hot water kettle and a french press. When the hot water is ready, I pour it into the french press to start steeping the coffee and then pour a little hot water in the milk warmer - sanitizes it and warms up the stainless steel carafe and spinner. After a couple of seconds, pour out the hot water, pour in your desired amount of milk and press the button - voila - very hot frothy milk for a great cup of coffee.
The build quality is excellent - stainless steel covered base and carafe. The unit takes about 4 to 5 minutes on average to warm about half a carafe full of milk - enough for about 5 cups of coffee (the way we make it, anyway.) The unit will keep the milk warm for up to an hour, and you can always just press the warmer button again to have it reheat the milk.
The advantage of the design with the magnetic spinner is the ease of cleaning - by being able to remove the little magnetic spinner, there are no cracks and crevices in the device to retain residual milk, thereby reducing any chance of contamination from spoiled milk.
The old adage of "you get what you pay for" absolutely applies here. Yes, the device is fairly expensive - but for me the investment has been more than worth it. Follow the simple step of warming the carafe before pouring in cold milk and it will perform very reliably.

Breville BMF600XL Milk Café Milk Frother