on March 8, 2007
Size Name: 2-SliceVerified Purchase
This toaster has a few features that really stand out:
-Consistent Results.
If your partner likes their bagel lightly toasted, and you like yours golden brown, you can both get what you want without any guesswork.

-Digital Readout
There is a digital readout that gives you unambiguous feedback. You can see at all times what darkness you have the toaster set to. It also gives you a little count-down timer so you know how long you have left.

-Cancel button.
You don't have to pry at the handle to cancel your toast. Of course, since you get consistent results, you probably don't have to cancel that often.

-Toast-popup.
If you do pull the handle up, your toast comes up for you to look at it without having to cancel the toasting. Just let go, and the toast drops back down to continue the cycle.

-Audio feedback
It beeps when your toast is done. Sometimes the pop-up sound can be lost over the sound of the coffee machine. The beep is much easier to hear.

-More options I don't use.
There are some more buttons in the front that I've not had to use. Defrost and warm, I think.

I'm very pleased with my new toaster. I like over-engineered devices- devices where someone has thought of nearly everything and found an elegant solution. This toaster doesn't disappoint.

Update, Aug 14, 2009:
After two years of use this toaster is still going strong.
on February 14, 2006
Size Name: 2-Slice
it looks good and importantly toasts well. Unlike many cheaper toasters that use a silly thermostat (thermocouple) system to decide when the toast is done, this toaster uses an actual timer (electronic). That means it will toast the same in a year as it does now. Thermostats used in cheaper toasters degrade over time until they're effectively useless. The only issue with this toaster is it tends to toast the upper portion of the slice more than the lower portion. If not for that minor issue, I'd give it five stars.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 14, 2006
Size Name: 4-Slice
I hate toasters, that is to say, I hate toasters that don't... toast. In the past, I have returned new toasters along with toasted samples that show how poorly the product functioned. It has been a curiousity of mine that we can put men on the moon, explore the ocean depths, even perform complex organ transplants; yet man can not create an appliance that will consistently and evenly toast a piece of bread.

Our previous toaster lived a long, albeit, mediocre life. We would have liked to have replaced it with a similar model since our expectations (low) were already molded by the last one, but it had be discontinued which left us on the quest to find another brand. Arghhh!

The search ended with the Breville CT75XL 4 slice toaster. We've had the toaster for about 30 days and have toasted a variety of breads, bagels,and frozen waffles; all to our complete amazement and satisfaction.

The unit's footprint is a bit large but acceptable, yet then most 4 slice toasters tend to be on the behemoth side these days. I'm not sure why the darkness control goes to all the up to 10 as we have found that setting it to 4 seems to be plenty dark enough. The digital display has an integrated timer with segments that blink as the toasting time counts down. When the toast is ready, the toaster will beep just prior to popping up the product.

Now, I'm not a professional product reviewer so I won't go into the nitty-gritty details as to the features. You can read all about them from the manufacturer's website. I just wanted to let those that are interested, that, for one who hates toasters, the Breville has been a pleasant find.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 29, 2006
Size Name: 2-Slice
I too like the first review bought the toaster to match my juicer and didn't expect much.

This toaster surpassed any toaster I have ever used, even the top of the line import for Sweden. It isn't one of those toasters you need to pop down two times for thick bread. It has a lighted dial and it WORKS GREAT!

Everything I have tried in the Breville line has been quality and worth every penny.
on January 12, 2007
Size Name: 4-Slice
I'm in my 40's and through the years, I've owned or used many a toaster. I can't remember ever having a toaster that does as good of a job toasting bread then this Breville does. Prior to this one, I had a toaster oven, that took forever to toast - and dried out my bread always. Prior to the toaster oven, I had a toaster that I got from a high end store - it looked cool - I paid $100 for it - and yet it sucked in toasting toast.

It was time for a new toaster - so, I did my research, read quite a few reviews, and found that this Breville was rated the best not only for it's features, but the fact that it does what it's supposed to do - toast bread. It's quick, evenly toasts and I never thought there would be a big difference in the quality of toast - but there is - and this toaster will prove it.

The manual says to start out at setting "4" and go from there to see how dark you like your toast - my suggestion is to go with setting "3". This is a powerful toaster and will easily burn your bread should you have the setting too high.

Thumbs up - you won't be disappointed especially in this price range.
on August 18, 2006
Size Name: 2-Slice
OK, I only bought the Breville CT70XL Ikon 2-Slice Electric Toaster so it would look well (with the Breville Water Kettle and the Breville Espresso Machine) for the brushed steel look.

Other than that, I did not expect much - I mean: "What can you expect from a Toaster?" (Just for heating up some bread, no?)

Now I know better: This toaster not only looks neat and seems well made (from apparently high quality materials) it is also the "Toaster out to impress". It has more of a digital display than my first mobile ever had, beeps when completed with the bread-heating-process and does all of that, in a sort of "comforting way"!

Further:

The setting of the toaster is foolproof (I personally know one;) due to that digital display mentioned before AND it lights up the "Panic" Button while heating the dough!!!

So, if you are going for the looks, and you are looking for that satisfyingly perfect Bagel Roastin' Experince: This Toaster is worth every Cent.
on January 22, 2007
Size Name: 4-Slice
One day my gorgeous Russell Hobbs toaster went crazy. I started to research another nice looking toaster that would also satisfy my needs for a high-tech gadget. I thought the Breville 4-Slice Toaster met my needs. I didn't want the 2-slice because I thought that there were times that I'd like to toast long slices of bread. I read the stunning reviews for the 2-Slice and the mediocre reviews for the 4-slice, and thought "How different can they be?"

Let me tell you, I bought the first Breville 4-Slice, put it on the '4' setting and ended up with charcoal. Actually, I ended up with a whole loaf of charcoal. I kept trying different slices, other kinds of bread, and even different outlets, but in the end, I figured I had a bunk toaster. However, when I exchanged the toaster for another one I had the same trouble. The toaster burned my bread everytime I used it above the '2' setting. Whats the point of having 10 settings? Finally, I exchanged the 4-slice for the 2-slice toaster. Perfection! Whoever did quality control for the 4-slice model--not so good. Buy the 2-slice and you'll be OK.
88 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 12, 2008
Size Name: 4-Slice
This is the toaster I have been looking for. I have simple requirements in a toaster.

1.) make toast not charcoal

2.) toast both sides of the bread at the same time

3.) Have a timer to pop the toast out when it is done

4.) do all of these things the first time you put the toast in

You would not think that these 4 things would be impossible to find from any toaster but you would be dead wrong. I had a Krups toaster with quartz element that did these things that worked for 10 years. I loved it. The handle broke and I have been looking for a replacement for 5 years now. I have gone through one toaster a year for the last 5 years spanning the bottom of the barrel walmart special to a top of the line Oster and Cuisinart. None of them worked. They would either burn your bread on one side or not toast at all. I had all but given up on finding a real toaster. I decided to make one final quest for the mythical toaster when it happened. I found the one toaster.

This is bar none the best toaster on the market today. This is not the best toaster I have ever owned but it is an extremely close second. It has two long slots that are wide enough for bagels and long enough for home made artisan bread. It sits sideways and the indicator is on the side of the toaster. Look at any other competing long slot toaster and all of the controls are on the end. What I love about this toaster is that the darkness dial is digital so you can set it to exactly the proper setting and it counts down, with a flashing indicator, to show you how much time you have left in your toast cycle. Not only that but you can lift the handle during your toast cycle to check how done your toast is without interrupting you cycle. If you find that you toast will not be done before your cycle ends, simply turn the dial to a higher setting and the toaster will increase the toast time on the fly. For example if you set the toaster to 4 to start when the counter is nearing the end of the cycle you can turn it up to 5 and it simply adds the additional time to the cycle. Most toasters will not allow you increase the time or make you start a completely new cycle which usually ends in less than satisfying results. At the end of the cycle it has an audible beep to let you know your toast is done. All this may sound pedantic, but what is the point of a toaster that does not make toast. You might as well simply eat bread as use another toaster.

I only hope that the Breville will continue to make my mornings happy for a long time to come.
review image
on July 26, 2008
Size Name: 4-Slice
I've never written a review of a product online before, but I felt compelled to for this toaster. I had the option of selecting between this and a few others -- of the choices I had, this one definitely looked the best, but there were so many negative reviews on Amazon about how this toaster will char your food to a crisp on the lowest setting.

I went with it anyway, mostly based on the feeling that these other reviewers either a product that was faulty AND SHOULD HAVE RETURNED IT; there's no way an established company like Breville would purposefully put out a toaster where you can't properly control the toasting level.

I toasted my first english muffin yesterday and was cautious, putting it on 3. But as it was approaching finished, I took a peak using the 'toast preview' feature and i had to crank it up to 5! 5 being the middle of the road on the scale, it was the perfect, middle-ground setting.

My girlfriend and I had bagels this morning and on 5, with the Bagel setting pressed, they came out perfectly golden on the inside and warmed on the outside.

It's just a toaster, but I've never used a better one.
on October 16, 2009
Verified Purchase
After many years of using toasters that were cheap, would break or not working properly, I have finally found a gem! This toaster toasts evenly and has electronic intelligence using a digital dial. Using the 5 is perfect for toast. You don't have to manually lift the lever to stop it. There is a cancel button. It is one of the most stylish toasters I have seen and looks nice if you have to have it on your counter.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations