Breville Compact Juicer or the Breville Fountain Plus for a first time juicer?the reviews are confusing me. some say too much pulp or to use slow mode.Help!
[UPDATED] asked by JWarg on January 22, 2013
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-10 of 14 answers
A
votes
Use the slower mode for soft fruits and veggies, like apples, spinach, lettuce, kale, etc. Use the faster mode for hard fruits and veggies, like carrots and beets. There is NO pulp in the juice. Here is a hint, though. Let the juice settle for a bit. I let the juice sit in the juice container while I wash up the machine (which is quick and easy). By then, the foam that is on top from the juicing process is settled and the juice is completely smooth and tasty. All the pulp is in the pulp container. One more hint. Put a plastic bag (like the ones you get in the grocery store) in the pulp container and drape the top of the bag over the sides of the pulp container (sort of like the trash bag in your trash can). Then put in place. All the pulp will go into the bag and clean up is a snap. Just pick the bag out of the pulp container, tie the ends together and discard. The pulp container is completely clean. One less thing to clean up.
Meredith Charbula answered on January 22, 2013

A
votes
I would go with the compact unit by breville to start. It is a solid unit. Pulp is a non factor as they all produce wet pulp unless you go with a masticating juicer which operates at very slow speeds and is totally different in the way it operates. They are also a lot more time consuming to jui e with and can jam frequently. They atr more expensive as well. Cost of timw vs. Juice yield is the issue...which one do you value more? Personally I can't be hunched ovr a juicer 2+ hours a day. The compact unit has a smaller footprint on your counter space as well. The slow speed on the fountain I found useless. The only downside to the compact unit is you will need to dump pulp out a little more frequently.
K. Munro answered on January 22, 2013

A
votes
Fountain plus. I'm a newbie and this juicer will last me a long time. I loathe pulp, and I think it does a stellar job. We love it!
Jennifer Moore answered on January 22, 2013

A
votes
I have the Breville JE98XL Juicer. This is the first one I have ever used and I love it. All the pulp is ejected into the grey side container so none of it goes into the juice. I always use the low speed because it does the job. I have put beets, pineapple, oranges, kiwi etc with no problems. There is some foam from juicing but I can live with that. I have no complaints about this product. Easy to use and clean up. I ordered "The big book of juices." It will take a lifetime to make all these. Everything so far has been great.
Jonesette answered on January 22, 2013

A
votes
I found this one of the best juicers. It has a separate chute for the pulp (which youcan keep and dehydrate as chips - not the best tasting, but doable).
I had the Jack Lalanne, which is okay, but has some quirks - not major, just not as clean and smooth.
The Breville has dryer pulp too - depending on what I'm juicing, I've actually rejuiced the pulp (usually not worth the effort).
A friend of mine got the Omega ($450model for cold press) - it's superior, but necessary for beginners. Breville in my experienceand research is by far the best and easiest.
- Jb
jb answered on January 22, 2013

A
votes
Use the slower mode for soft fruits and veggies, like apples, spinach, lettuce, kale, etc. Use the faster mode for har fruits and veggies, like carrots and beets. There is no pulp. Here is a hint, though. Let the juice settle for a bit. I let the juice sit in the juice container while I wash up the machine (which is quick and easy). By then, the foam is settled and the juice is completely smooth and tasty.
Meredith Charbula answered on January 22, 2013

A
votes
I find the juicer to be great and not give too much pulp if you use the right setting. Low for greens/herbs and soft fruit, High for "harder" things like carrots and apples. They have a guide that comes with it that breaks it down by fruit/veg. I would not recommend a first-timer trying to juice something not on that list (like you wouldn't juice a banana or avocado because that would gum it up). It is really easy to clean and I use it every morning - it takes me about 15 minutes to juice and rinse down and clean the screeny part. Don't be afraid, this is a good buy.
Lisa Leone answered on January 27, 2013

A
votes
Well I have the Breville. I love it! It's a solid built machine. I just tend to use it on high for everything and it works great. And I don't notice any pulp. Super easy to clean too, I just rinse and dry right after use, and so far after 3 months it still looks brand new.
chubbs1080 answered on January 22, 2013

A
votes
I have the "Fountain Plus" and I LOVE it!!! Previously I had a Juiceman and a Jack LaLanne. The Breville is so much more powerful and better. It's so easy to feed the veggies and fruit through. It gives me a choice of speeds which I love. I will NEVER get a less powerful juicer again!
Charlotte Collum-Beard answered on January 22, 2013

A
votes
J- I have the Breville and never have any issues with pulp. I think whether you are a first time juicer or a veteran its more about the quality of the juicer... get the Breville its worth the money!
Christina Williams answered on January 22, 2013
‹ Previous   1   2   Next ›