Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Gifts for Mom to look and feel great Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer seeso seeso seeso  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now SnS

on November 29, 2012
It died a little more than a year after light use. I researched the problem and it appears that there was an issue with the thermal fuse on the original product. This explains the large number of reconditioned ovens for sale. The oven does not receive any power. Sadly, it does not appear that the problem was properly corrected. Note: I used this product no more than 30 times for light toasting/heating.
on December 6, 2012
First one ordered and received had defective heating elements on the bottom and scratches on the unit. Sent it back.

Second unit had more scratches than the first and worn spots on the handle. They do not recertify these to be like new even though that is what is advertised.

The biggest problem with the second unit is that it simply does not heat to the temperature accurately. If you have an oven thermometer, put it in your Breville. The big display may fool you into thinking it is heating to the set temperature (i.e. 425 degrees in my case), but the thermometer shows it's really only getting it to 360 degrees. At other temperature settings, there was also a discrepancy.

Sad to say this one will be going back as well. Had it functioned properly, I'd be happy to put up with the blemishes.
on November 29, 2012
This remanufactured Compact Smart Oven arrived missing both the baking and the broiler trays. No problem, I called Breville, I figured they could ship me out the missing parts. Nope. Not a chance. Nada. I even tried calling twice, hoping that the first person I spoke with was just unusually grouchy. Neither person was any help at all nor did they even pretend to care. They spoke as if the company has nothing whatsoever to do with this product. I'm now deciding if I want to roll the dice with an exchange or if I'll simply return it. I've heard great things about this product and was really looking forward to it, but it seems that if there are any problems with it at all we're on our own.

UPDATE #1: So, I went to Breville Australia's customer service website and vented a little, and they passed that on to their US customer service. By the next day I received an email offering to send me the mussing parts. Unfortunately my Smart Oven was already on its way back to Amazon. However, I did decide to take my chances on an exchange, so stay tuned for update #2. Meanwhile, they at least get a second star.

UPDATE #2: The second oven arrived, this time with all its parts. Cosmetically it looks very good, just like the first one. I can't comment on how well it works yet, but I plan to use the heck out of it while I'm still in Amazon's return period.

UPDATE #3 (8/13): I've been using the oven daily since I got it and I do like it a lot. It's simple to use, easy to clean, cooks and toasts well, and it looks nice on my counter. There are some minor negatives - it would be nice if it had a pop-out rack, you do need to remember to change the rack height depending on the function or you won't get the best results, and it would also be nice if the timer didn't start immediately after preheating. Most people are likely to get a good unit on their first try, so if the price is right - and I can see that the price on Amazon fluctuates quite a lot (I paid $93, it usually lists for $120, and right now it's at $170) - I'd say go for it, just beware that dealing with Breville can be hit or miss.
on January 8, 2013
As far as I'm concerned, this product seemed completely new to me. In perfect condition. The quality is much better than the cheap toaster ovens I've had previously. I had a very small spot for a toaster oven, so the dimensions were important to me. Although it's narrow, the interior of this oven is actually larger than anything we've had and I can use larger dishes in it. Measurements on amazon are vague, so let me give them to you: Exterior: 16 3/4" across, 9 1/2" high, 11" deep. Interior: 12" across, 10" deep. I rely on this oven now as a good alternative to our regular oven. The rack height adjusts for different purposes (toasting/broiling/baking). It seems a little cooler than the temp at which it's set; on the other hand, it has a completely adjustable thermostat setting (compared to a dial on lesser brands), so even if it is cooler, I can adjust for that and it doesn't torch my food. Operation of this oven took a little getting used to; for example (as others have mentioned), if you want to adjust the timer or the temp/setting, you need to turn it off, re-set, and start again. Not a biggy once you get accustomed to it. Great crumb tray; very easy to clean.
on November 12, 2012
I bought a Breville after doing some research on toaster ovens. I did not particularly like them - I thought they were flimsy and useless. I LOVE my Breville.....it proved me wrong. I use it all the time. With the convection setting baking is really taken up a notch. I scale down larger casserole recipes and they come out beautifully cooked. I am glad I made the investment.
on November 21, 2012
I've been wanting the non-remanufactured version of this toaster oven for months, but balked at the hefty $179 price tag. I was also was resistant to buying this remanufactured version for fear that I would just be inheriting a defective item for slightly less money. I took the plunge on this model when it was offered as a lightning deal. So far, my fears were unfounded. The item was in brand new condition out of the box and has worked perfectly since my very first use. I love it!
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon November 12, 2012
Small in size but powerful in capability. This smaller version of the Breville smart oven delivers 1800 watts in a compact package, Its 3/5 -cubic-foot non-stick interior is large enough to accomodate a family meal. It bakes, broils, reheats and toasts. The element IQ with variable power distribution increases the efficiency of the unit allowing for selective cooking by a simple turn of the knob.

This toaster oven is a sophisticated machine that can be easily operated to produce substantial meals without taking too much space. Can be programmed to user's preferences and has presets for its various cooking features.

It may appear somewhat flimsy but it is well built and durable. Accessories include a 10-by-10-inch enamel baking pan and a 10-by-10-inch enamel broil rack. Attractively housed in coated steel with an elegant modern design, the countertop oven measures 16-1/2 by 14-1/4 by 10-Inch.

As priced by Amazon it is a great value.
on September 27, 2015
This is a fabulous toaster oven. I did a lot of research and then decided to save money buying the refurbished one. There is less fear in this because the purchase is made on Amazon, so I'm sure I'll get my money back if it doesn't work.

First of all, the oven is a bit bigger than the previous one I had. That was a welcome change over the Black & Decker cheap one. It did well over the years, but it is nothing compared to this one.

PROS
- Large interior : I can toast 6 pieces of bread at a time.
- Digital readout with timer count down. Large numbers, backlit display, changes color when cooking.
- Simple 2 dial system - Dial up what you are cooking, how many pieces, level of toastiness. Really easy to get repeat results.
- Adjustable rack with 3 different levels. Good for broiling and baking.
- Sealed heating coils. No more breaking coils trying to fish things out that fell.
- Large handle across the entire door with lots of room. Great for my large hands so they don't touch the glass.
- Open door lays flat on counter. The handle supports it so it can handle some weight if necessary.
- Catch tray so it is easy to clean the bottom when you need to.
- Broiler and baking trays are included.
- Top doesn't get too hot. Much cooler than last toaster oven I had. I still wouldn't put anything on it. I keep pans or other cooking items there while working.

CONS
- No cookie sheet was included. I like baking small batches so will be buying that soon.
- Just can't think of anything else

Normally the price would be a con, but the refurbished model was about $70 less and this is a really high quality oven. So I couldn't consider the price as a con. The listing mentioned some damage and it was there, but it was cosmetic and in the back so we don't even see it. Make sure you check the listing to see where the damage is.

I love how you can dial in a level for toasting and be able to get repeat results every time. For garlic bread, we set it to a 4. For bagels a 3, and it works whether there are 2 or 4 pieces of bread. This is due to how it handles the heating elements inside.

The evenness of the toasting is something that many ovens have a problem with. This oven excels at it. I can hardly tell a difference across the toast even when there are multiple slides. These guys went to a lot of trouble to create a great toaster oven. And my electric bill is going to be a lot better for it.

One word of caution is to be careful when pulling out the rack. I've noticed that since it slides in and out so easily, that I can pull it all the way out when I really only wanted to bring it most of the way out. Not a big deal but realize there is not a catch to stop the rack like most toaster ovens. This is just a metal rack that rests on rails. I like this because it means I can wash the rack which I could never do before. That means a more sanitary surface on which to cook your food as well. You never know what the kids toasted the night before.
on August 2, 2015
I was afraid it'd be complicated... my old one was perfect but died after three years. For all that it seems to have a lot of bells and whistles, this is an awesome toaster over. I don't have a microwave, so this is what I use for reheating leftovers and any time I don't want the big over. It heats evenly, settings are easy enough to get used to quickly and it's roomy enough inside for everything I've needed so far, and easy to clean, too.
on October 29, 2014
This is a truly great toaster oven. I don't usually get excited about small appliances, but this one is a real workhorse. I use it on a daily basis for toasting, broiling and baking. Never had a bit of trouble with it. It's super easy to clean the removable crumb tray and rack. Makes great toast, and is a very accurate oven as well. I've tested the temp both on higher settings and lower, and it comes in within a degree or two of what you set it at. Amazing for a toaster oven. I highly recommend this, and it looks great on your counter top too!