Industrial-Sized Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Disturbed Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Shop Popular Services tmnt tmnt tmnt  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Metal Gear Solid 5 Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Deal of the Day

Showing 1-10 of 115 reviews(4 star)show all reviews
I recently bought this product, which has performed flawlessly so far. But two things I've noticed are valuable pieces of information for those planning on buying an electric cordless kettle, I think: First, the water gauge is behind the handle, which means you can't see the water level as you're filling the kettle, since you're holding it by the handle. This problem is not unique to this kettle, but it is an annoyance. I've learned about how much water it takes to fill my 16 oz. mug (a count of five), so I don't need to try to look at something that's underneath my hand as the water is running from the faucet. Maybe they're assuming you're going to be using bottled water and won't need to be holding the pot as you're filling it! My other caution is the very large, dripless spout. The dripless part is great, and it is truly dripless. However, it's also very large, so that a TREMENDOUS amount of hot steam escapes as the pot heats up. You really need to move the pot out completely away from any walls or cupboards or the steam will quickly ruin the finish. But if you move the pot out toward the edge of the counter, the hot steam may burn you, you spouse, your child, or your cat who suddenly decides to jump up on the counter. You really need to stand by the pot as it is heating up if you have pets. I have also noticed that our hard water is already leaving deposits on the bottom of the pot in just a few weeks, but that is my cleaning problem, not a problem with the pot. Another reviewer pointed out that the beautiful brushed finish does not stay beautiful very long no matter what you do, and I have to second that, but it doesn't bother me that much.

Interestingly, I bought another cordless kettle at Target about the same time, a cheap chrome one by Aroma, for my office. That pot, though smaller, does just as good a job for 1/3 the price, and the finish has stayed nicer. The smaller spout does not release as much steam. But it doesn't LOOK nearly as cool. Ha.

And here's a comment apropos of nothing: why can't the makers of these kettles make one with a stainless steel LID? If we don't want a plastic pot, why would we want a plastic lid? It boggles the mind. But try to find a decent pot with a stainless lid.
on April 17, 2006
I bought the Breville SK500XL two months ago and use it several times a day; it is indeed a nice looking, high quality electric kettle, and I am satisfied with my purchase. Here are several additional points and issues, beyond what was given in Amazon's product description:

1. The main complaint I have about this kettle is that the automatic shut-off mechanism, which detects that the water boils and shuts the power off, has a very slow response. I usually boil only one or two cups of water, and by my estimate the kettle shuts off about 30 seconds too late, after the water has boiled. This not only wastes electricity, but also sends considerable amount of steam up the air. The reason for the slow response may be the very wide spout, which lets the early steam out and keeps the sensor cool longer; when I covered the spout the kettle turned itself off much sooner.

So - If I happen to stand near the kettle when it starts boiling, then I turn it off myself (it's a little nuisance; the power switch is small and located at the bottom, under the handle).

2. There is a secondary shut-off mechanism, which kicks in if you turn the kettle on with no water inside. I decided to test it - it works!!

3. The kettle's top cover is clear, but you can not see through as it is always covered with condensation droplets.

4. The power cord has an unusual and helpful plug - it has a finger hole in the middle, so you can pull that plug out without pulling on the cord like many people often do.

5. The water level is illuminated in blue, which looks nice in the dark (if you like boiling water with your lights off :-) However the level is located under the handle, which obscures the water level somewhat.

6. When the water gets hot, so does the kettle's metal body.
on January 24, 2007
I research things a lot before I buy anymore, we wanted an electric kettle because when we use traditional kettle on the gas stove top, it just seems to waste a lot of energy heating the air which slips by. We also are familiar with the European use of these as my wife is from Poland and we have used these kettles whenever we visit her family there, they boil water FAST. All the heat energy created by the appliance goes into heating the water so there is very little waste.

So we've had this Breville kettle for a few weeks now and for the most part it has really done great. It boils water in 7 minutes that the stove top takes 12 minutes for the same amount (almost full). I was concerned that living at 4800 feet in Montana that the temperature wouldn't be hot enough to trip the kettle when it boils. The trip mechanism must rely on some other variable when it senses boiling water, cause it trips off fine.

We use the kettle for tea and when we make pasta. For pasta we fill the kettle and put half as much water in the pasta pot, they both boil at the same time and we have boiling pasta water ready in half the time. Real geenyuses we is.

So why 4 stars??? The "Smell" thing, as reported in previous reviews here, we had a bit of a bad odor & taste thing going with this. I'm sure it will dissipate with time but the people who make this should be able to figure a way to prevent this from occurring in the first place.

So there's my 2 cents, I could drone on about the style, quality & such but enough people have done that. In fact it's why we bought this, it seems every other electric kettle out there has issues with it (and I looked at a huge majority of them). The Breville is the only electric kettle to be rated exceedingly well by so many people with only a few minor gripes.

Keep shopping if you want, I don't think you'll find a better product than this.

Peace.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 9, 2006
This kettle boils water faster than any we've ever owned. It's well-designed, sturdy and attractive. Don't let the following remarks put you off. We love this kettle, but we must offer these cautions. First it is heavy when it is filled, so you might need two hands to move it if you are filling it at the sink. However its weight and design make it very stable on the counter. Also, be sure not to let your fingers stray from the handle to the metal after the water has boiled. I found out quickly how hot the pot got. Keep it out of the reach of children too.

The handle is strong and easy to grip. The pot pours beautifully. It is just not for anyone who is frail or shaky.
on September 6, 2010
My Breville 1.7 liter Ikon Electric Kettle arrived packed very well and in good shape. The product is attractive; the instructions are nicely done (though there's not much to using a kettle!). Registering the product and opening an account at the [...] website was painless.

The main reason I bought an electric kettle was to have boiling water faster. Well I did a couple of experiments*. Here are the results:

Boil 1.7 Liters water:
--- Breville (Exactly 7 minutes),
--- Covered 2 qt Sauce Pan (7 minutes, 15 seconds)
--- Tea Kettle (7 minutes, 30 seconds)

Boil .5 liters water:
--- Breville (145 seconds)
--- Covered 2 qt Sauce Pan (150 seconds)
--- Tea Kettle (155 seconds)

*Breville time based on when the switch turned off. Tea Kettle based on full whistle. Sauce pan based on observed full rolling boil. Sauce pan and Kettle started on cold burner.

While the Breville was slightly faster than the old-fashioned competition, the differences are minimal. So now I'm wondering if this was worth the $70 price tag, or if any other electric kettle would do better. I doubt it, and I'll probably keep it, for two reasons: 1)the auto-off feature works and is worth quite a lot in terms of safety and convenience, 2) it looks pretty cool - a totally stupid reason but something I'm nonetheless prone to take into consideration.

A note on the retail box - on the back of the box, it says a half-liter of water takes "less than a minute" to boil. On the side of the box, it says a half liter of water takes 130 seconds to boil (that's 2 minutes, 10 seconds by my math, and it took 145 seconds in my test).

I bought this so I could boil water faster to start brewing coffee in my new Chemex coffee pot, with beans ground in my new Capreso burr grinder. I probably could have done just fine with my cheap Krups grinder and a tea kettle, but drama queen that I am, I like making major productions out of the simplest of tasks. I've really outdone myself this time!!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 12, 2006
This electric water heater feels very solid and well built. When filled to 1.7 liters, it takes about 6 min 30 seconds to boil. The kettle automatically shuts off when it boils and makes a nice bell noise when finished. I thought this would be annoying, but it is not! Also, when switched on, there is a nice white LED lighting up the water supply making it easy to read.

My only complaint about this kettle is that it is rather loud (which is why I only gave it 4 stars) when it is on. A few moments after the switch is turned on, it makes this rumbling noise for the entire duration of operation.
on December 1, 2009
I've had a chance to use the kettle a few times, so I'll offer my first impressions. I've used a cordless kettle practically every day for the past several years. This is the 3rd kettle I've bought after wearing out two others. The kettle is mostly stainless steel. The handle, water level meter, lid, and scale filter receiver are mostly plastic. The water level meter and filter receiver does come into contact with the water during boiling, but I have noticed no strange smells or tastes with the boiled water. The kettle fits snugly, but well into the receiver. The receiver seems to have a good design with some strong and weak points. Excess cord wraps up inside the receiver and stays there. This is a typical feature of cordless kettles and this one seems to work better than most. The receiver has three rubber tipped legs which grip the counter well to keep it in place. In the center is the electrical connection to the kettle which appears to be well shielded to keep water from entering the areas which contain the electrics and electronics. However, the plastic interlock switches appear to be a bit flimsy. This has been a point of failure on one other kettle I've owned. Time will tell with this one. I don't really like the lid design. You push a button and the lid opens slowly. I suppose some people might be impressed with this, but the mechanism is just another point of potential failure. I would have preferred a more utilitarian lid, but it does work well for now so time will tell with this too. You can fill and empty the kettle through the spout, so you really don't have to open the lid other than for cleaning. The water level meter has a little hole at the bottom and top which fills a small chamber. Because of this design, the kettle shouldn't be used for anything other than water because there's no practical way to clean inside this chamber. I would have preferred a glass window on the side as it would be nice to use the kettle to heat up broth. The chamber does light up when the kettle is in use which makes it easier to read, but this is a fairly useless feature as you really need to set the water to the right level before you turn it on. It does provide a positive indication that the kettle is in use. The on switch is located underneath the water level meter and it's a simple toggle switch which appears to be relatively heavy duty, which I like. The scale filter is located behind the spout, and with the lid open is very easy to remove and clean. This is a nice feature as they do need to be cleaned of sediment from time to time and in most other designs they are harder to remove and reinstall. All in all I have to say I like this kettle and would probably buy it again, despite parts of the design that I don't like.
on October 18, 2009
I boil water up to 15 times per day...and I bought this one because it is elegant and stainless steel. It boils quickly and I love the bell ding in the morning...my mind knows...here comes coffee!
I am buying another one today, because after almost four years of continuous use, my current Breville is going to be retired. It still works, but there are some things that stopped working.
Within one year the soft-open lid stopped working softly. It just pops open now. Not a problem but I was sorry it quit so early in the game.
Secondly, the light that comes on to indicate the kettle is on stopped working within the second year. The light is great so you can see how much water is in the kettle very easily.
Now in its fourth year I have to boil a full pot of water or it won't come on. I think the sensor must be corroded.
Overall this is the best kettle I have ever used...and I will continue to use electric kettles. The cordless feature is fantastic. When it's full of water is is VERY heavy, so beware if you have any issues with lifting with one hand.
on March 8, 2007
I read many reviews posted here before purchasing. I admit the stainless sleek look won out over the comments of 'metallic taste'. It does boil in 7 minutes when full, which is faster than our electric stove.

I don't drink tea daily, but I have had some now and I don't think I noticed a metallic taste. The kettle smells like metal inside when new and after the excess water is poured out (metal still warm), but I didn't specifally notice it effecting the taste of the tea.

I'm happy with it.
on April 15, 2014
It is my considered opinion that they don't make electric kettles like they used to. When I was a kid in England - a country where electric kettles are much more widely used than they are in the US - kettles used to last a very long time. They were the sort of things that were given as wedding gifts and which were expected to last half a lifetime. Of course, they were simpler then, with no fancy gizmos to go wrong, and definitely no plastic, but they were very reliable and functional. Not any more!

I have recently suffered through a succession of kettles from well-known manufacturers that have had ridiculously short lives, sometimes as short as three months. Consequently, I decided to go to the higher price range represented by the Breville Ikon (I also liked its styling) and for the first fourteen months the kettle performed really well.

Then suddenly - and I was not entirely surprised - it started to malfunction. It became difficult to find a location on the base where the light would stay on. The kettle had to be rotated and jostled to find another spot where contact was made, and the problem got so bad that as many as half-a-dozen repositionings and tweakings were eventually needed just to make a cup of tea.
Several of the one-star reviews from a couple of years ago mentioned the same problem, so I thought that Breville must be aware of and have a solution to the problem. So I contacted Breville in California through their web site email facility, and I have been agreeably surprised that their response has been so positive, even though the warranty had expired.

Breville agreed that the kettle should have lasted longer, and I was told (within one business day of my email) that if I sent a copy of the receipt and the four-digit number engraved on the bottom of the kettle they would send a prepaid Fedex return authorization, and that they would then send a replacement. So I printed out a receipt from my Amazon account and returned the old kettle as they asked - in return they sent email notification that the replacement had been shipped (with tracking number), all within a week of my initial contact with Breville. I call that really good coast-to-coast customer service.

Now that the functioning replacement kettle is on hand (it is a new one, and not some reconditioned clunker) it remains to be seen if it holds up to daily use for a reasonable length of time, which I would define as many years of reliable service. So, I give four-stars for the 14 months of good service and for the excellent customer service, and I hope I don't need to update this review