5.0 out of 5 stars Best thing that ever happened to my Wedding
Published on August 31, 2009 by Marcie Blaylock

2.0 out of 5 stars Do it yourself
It didn't really help to plan a wedding unless you plan on cooking the food and doing everything yourself.
Published on December 26, 2008 by Paul S. Clevenger

5.0 out of 5 stars Best thing that ever happened to my Wedding, August 31, 2009
This review is from: Bridal Bargains, 9th Edition: Secrets to Throwing a Fantastic Wedding on a Realistic Budget (Bridal Bargains: Secrets to Throwing a Fantastic Wedding on a Realistic Budget) (Paperback)
I bought this book a couple years ago and am now passing it on to my sister for her wedding. This book was amazing. There were a lot of things I wasn't going to do at my wedding just because I couldn't afford them and this book allowed me to do them all. My entire wedding & reception only came to about $3500 using this book. It gave me a practical time table so that everything was done in time. I was able to get the most amazing dress for $250, which would have cost me about $1000 at David's bridal. We were able to get a great price on a tux for my husband that he was able to keep (under $200) instead of doing a rental. My flowers were beautiful and affordable. It also had very good practical advice on how to deal with high-pressure sales that are involved in the wedding industry. I could go on and on, but my advice is to just get the book. You wont be sorry. For those do-it-yourself types, I paired this book with The Artful bride to make my invitations, party favors, and center pieces. Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars MOST VALUABLE Wedding/Bridal Resource of ALL!, November 20, 2009
Dawn E. Scire "dawnzig" (Sarasota, FL United States) - See all my reviews
Unlike those on "Platinum Weddings", and all those other UN-reality wedding TV shows, I had/have hardly any wedding budget to work with. Bridal Bargains (9th Edition) has been unbelievably, without a doubt the biggest help of ANY resource ANYWHERE.

I am a researcher so had spent hundreds of hours pouring over thousands of sites, pages, chats, search engines, you-name-it to find help in my area of SW Florida for inexpensive wedding/reception sites (none exist!)--I even emailed brides from OTHER STATES via Trip Adviser to find out where they got married in my own city!!! (Let me amend that by saying I couldn't put together a wedding for less than $5,000 and we just don't have it.)

Anyway, after reading reviews of this book here on Amazon, it seemed it might have at least SOME help, but could be outdated.

Not at all.

Even after 7 mos researching online, having been to 3 overwhelming wedding shows, interviewing a few vendors and reading numerous bridal mags before even getting the book, I found its info relevant, informative, pertinent and so engrossing I read 2/3s of it the first night!

One thing I didn't expect was letters from brides with real-life problems pertaining to each of the sections (such as Apparel, Ceremony Sites, Wedding Flowers, Invitations, Reception Sites, Catering, Photography, Videography, etc)., with the corresponding answers/comments from the authors, in addition to basic data on the subjects.

Of course, the info is so important that I've got a million scraps of paper (as bookmarks) sticking out from every other page practically!

I got my father to read the part about Reception Sites since he's coming with me to the negotiation--we needed to get our skills bolstered! :) He agreed that the book was a great purchase. (Though it doesn't specify HOW exactly to negotiate, just that one COULD/SHOULD and on which specific items/fees--but I didn't know any of that before.)

I actually haven't gotten through the whole chapter on dresses yet b/c I'm saving that til after I get my venue secured. THEN I'm dress shopping! Soooooo, I can't comment on the validity of the book's references there, but the beginning of the chapter on how the shops operate is eye-opening. If you're already disgusted by how sleazy the bridal industry is, just wait til you read this!

All I can say is, these people were banned from bridal shows by the vendors BECAUSE they told the truth about those people's practices!!! I mean, hurray for the Fields'! :D They should be getting medals and keys to cities for exposing the horrid business practices and ridiculous price-gouging that wedding businesses propogate. I can't say enough for the book. It may not be exactly specific to one's location, and perhaps certain URLs aren't current (I can't say yet), but the information and experience they've provided me thus far is INVALUABLE!

Btw, the authors also a guarantee that if they don't save you at least $500 on your wedding, they'll give you a refund! No kidding.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book...but don't read it too early!, May 1, 2009
This book is so handy for planning purposes and avoiding the typical wedding pitfalls. I found it particularly helpful for choosing a wedding gown. I love that they rate the largest designers, and felt much more comfortable spending my money knowing that my designer had been well-rated by this book.

Also, having read this book gave me the confidence to avoid oversizing. I went to a bridal boutique, and found THE dress. When I went to place the order, the sales lady tried to get me to order a size up from where I thought I should be. My chest and waist fit the smaller size, but she said my hips were an inch off, so I should go with the next bigger size...which would have involved extensive alterations for the top. Luckily my mom was there and convinced me to order the smaller size, because the lady was measuring my hips incorrectly! I went to a seamstress the next day to be measured and, lo and behold, my hips were an inch smaller than what the sales lady had said. Thank goodness for Bridal Bargains and my mom!

However, I would caution all brides not to read this book too soon after getting engaged. It's a little depressing to hear how everyone in the wedding industry wants to screw you. It may be true, but sometimes you just need to stay on Cloud 9 for a little while before coming down to reality. Don't start reading this book until you've started the serious negotiations and purchases, otherwise you may get discouraged from planning your wedding at all!

4.0 out of 5 stars Packed with wedding planning information, October 30, 2010
A friend recommended this little book for my budget-conscious (but quality-important) wedding and it is just packed with information -- found it best to skim through the sections with a pencil and dog-ear pages useful to me.

The authors do a good job refraining from advising what's best for you and your wedding (unlike everyone else in your life while you're wedding planning). What this book really is is a compilation of all the information you're unsuccessfully trying to search for on Google -- a helpful, narrowed-down-but-still-plenty-of-options bullet-point bible of resources, tips and advice from real brides/grooms.

Most useful to me were the lists of questions to ask vendors (sites, caterer, photographer, videographer). Typed them out, reworked them, and brought them along with us to meetings and phone calls -- we learned all we needed to know in our communication with vendors in the planning process, and would not have without those question guides. After all, you really have no idea what to ask these wedding-specific vendors unless you've planned a wedding before.

Would suggest reading/skimming this early on to get a good idea of the overall wedding planning process.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book for the bride who hasn't done much, December 21, 2008
Nicole (Mount Laurel, NJ) - See all my reviews
This is a great book if you are just starting the planning process. It has a lot of ideas and places to find deals. Unfortunately, I bought this book with about 6 months to go before my wedding and I had already booked the "big things"... reception hall & caterer, photographer, bought my dress, had a florist who was a friend of the family. Unfortunately this book really only covers those big ticket items so it wasn't much help for me. I was still able to use it, but to a much lesser extent that is was intended. But, If you are just starting out and want a book that can help you save money I would definitely recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Have for Brides During this Recession!, February 15, 2009
Hurray for the 9th Edition! I first bought the original version of Bridal Bargains when I was engaged 11 years ago. I had seen the authors on Oprah and knew I needed this book. My oh my did I save money. In fact I didn't cut back one bit on the elegance and splendor of my wedding, yet I ended up saving literally THOUSANDS of dollars--1/3 of my budget to be exact! And this was all because I used the insider secrets and discount shops listed in this book. Now as a relationship coach I turn my engaged clients onto this book, now in its 9th edition and see them save just like I did. Here's to having the wedding of your dreams even during this crazy recession!

5.0 out of 5 stars Read this book before making any major purchases for your wedding!!, November 29, 2010
Read bridal magazines. Search the internet. Even pick up the awesome Knot guide on weddings. THEN READ THIS BOOK!!!

This book is seriously amazing. Its not just a "things you can do to be cheap" book like some I've seen, no its actual ways to save money and make your wedding dreams even more realistic. Even if "daddy" is picking up your wedding tab, I'm sure he would appreciate saving more money. More money that can be spent on future things, even your honeymoon!

Its actually set up pretty well too- divided into sections such as dresses, bridesmaid dresses, catering, etc. Now, this isn't the end all only wedding book you will ever use kind of book. This is just a common sense way of thinking about weddings and how not to get screwed out of your money. I actually recommend reading this after you read some of the other great wedding books (see my reviews) but a must before you spend money on anything!

5.0 out of 5 stars A MUST BUY TO PLAN YOUR WEDDING!, May 10, 2010
25 years ago I was a wedding photographer, and on the side I was a bridal consultant. I worked the wedding scene for many years. Now that my daughter is getting married and my husband and I are responsible for the bill. I wanted to know how much things have changed in the wedding business. I read the Bridal Bargains Book and to my surprise not much has changed. The wedding business is a ripoff in all aspects. You say the word wedding and the price goes up at least 50%. This book is a world of knowledge on how to avoid over spending and gives key tips on saving money. There is very sound advice in this book. I highly recommend this book! I will be buying it for all the brides to be and their parents in my life.

4.0 out of 5 stars Plain, but informative, March 28, 2010
Nicole (United States) - See all my reviews
There is a LOT of good information in this book. It's well written and I guess for the price you get what you pay for, but I would've liked to see this a bit more expanded with color details.
There's lots of good advice for saving money, but some of the websites are dated.

Overall I would recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Only Book You Need, December 7, 2009
Read this one first. If you want the most up-to-date information on how to save money on your wedding, this book has it. It lets you in on the secrets vendors use to get you to spend more than you should on your wedding. Then it tells you how to save money. Great book!!

Rate and Discover Movies