5.0 out of 5 stars I loved it but I can see why someone might hate it.
This book is filled with tons of information for someone who is on a frugal budget but wants a big wedding. It tells you a great deal of information such as websites and tips on bargaining for a dress, getting inexpensive flowers, and how to bargain. (If you're shy, it's not going to tell you how to come out of your shell). I personally loved it.

However, It...
Published on September 26, 2011 by A. D. Murillo

3.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, but rendundant
The amount of useful information this book contains is just phenomenal. However, I did find it widely repetitive. There were several points during my time reading it that I felt like I had read that section before. I guess this may be to reiterate the point, but if I found it useful the first time I would have remembered it (or flagged it to remember later)...
Published on March 31, 2011 by Kiki

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved it but I can see why someone might hate it., September 26, 2011
This review is from: Bridal Bargains: Secrets to Throwing A Fantastic Wedding On A Realistic Budget (Paperback)

However, It did make me realize that the wedding industry is just a huge scam. If you really think about it, it's pretty messed up how expensive wedding dresses can be. You're wearing that dress once....

And venue costs, geesh... If you think about it, it's a crazy amount of money to spend on one day. You could just go out and buy a brand new car out right.

That being said, by bringing all of this information out it leaves a bad taste in your mouth for weddings and makes you almost want to boycott it in general and save your money and go elope. It kind of makes you feel guilty about your splurging and giving in on somethings.

But I still rate this book a 5 star because it saved me over $1,000 on flowers by doing it myself and ordering through costco....It saved me $600 on my wedding dress and it made me stick to a budget...

If I hadn't bought this book, I probably would have just said "whatever" and spent sooo much more on my wedding.

5.0 out of 5 stars Will definitely pay for itself and then some, June 22, 2011
AmyKV (Los Angeles) - See all my reviews
I purchased this book on a whim and will be ever grateful that I did. I have to admit that some of the cautions offered scared me a bit but in the end, I put on a brave face, read this book cover to cover and saved a fair sum on our big day. Some of the ideas are common sense and some are a bit tacky, but you've got to know your taste and sensibilities and then make choices for yourself. The big win for me was a tip for finding wedding gowns. I loved a dress from the rack of a bridal boutique but even at $900 I wasn't inclined to buy it. I found an online retailer suggested in this book, emailed for a quote and was thrilled to learn that the dress could be mine for under $400. What's more, I was able to have it custom made and it didn't need a single alteration when it arrived. This latter accommodation obviously depends upon the dress maker but the store was very helpful in communicating with me about this added request and my dress arrived in perfect condition and no, it wasn't a knock-off. Bridal Bargains includes the Better Business Bureau ratings for many of the business listed and is overall very accessible.

5.0 out of 5 stars So helpful, even for a natural bargain-hunter, January 9, 2012
As a natural bargain-hunter and former event planner (not weddings, but other types of social events), I was skeptical about how much this book could save me. I thought I already knew all the tricks and pitfalls of the event industry, and already knew all the ways to save (use a sheet cake behind the scenes, print your own invitations, etc.). But I was amazed and pleasantly surprised at how much I DIDN'T know! You can RENT a wedding cake?! Wedding flowers are a DIY option?! This book not only gave me great money-saving tips, but also gave me a lot of other information about wedding basics. It also provides a list of great questions to ask your vendors to avoid potential pitfalls and hidden costs.

When I bought this book, I was also worried that this book would provide a list of ways to save money by cutting corners, therefore resulting in a "cheap" wedding (like buying your decorations at the Dollar Store). Not at all. This book provides information on how to save money, even if you're ordering engraved invitations and fancy floral centerpieces. This book is well worth its cost and I would highly recommend it to any bride, extravagant or conservative budget, that doesn't want to be taken to the cleaners by the bridal industry.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome advice!, September 1, 2011
I purchased this book immediately after I became engaged and am so happy I read it before I really began planning my wedding. The authors give great advice and tips about not just how to save money, but how to not get ripped off or scammed. I've also learned how to look for quality in everything from cakes to dresses and how the industry will try to cut corners. Overall, this book is a must for ANY bride planning her own wedding -even those who arn't as budget conscious.

3.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, but rendundant, March 31, 2011

The one other thing that bothered me was the style of this book. Being long and having a short-width made it hard to read, and was also impossible to lay flat so I could take notes on things I wanted to remember. I feel like this is a weird thing to comment on, but the book shape absolutely drove me nuts.

Overall, definitely a good book to purchase for a newly engaged couple. There are lots of really important "Remember to ask this" sections, and I love how it breaks down by category. If anything, there is too much helpful information (and how can I possibly remember it all with the stream of "helpful" information being thrown at me from in-laws and family members) ;)

5.0 out of 5 stars Probably saved at least $2000, November 4, 2010
I recently got married, and this was by far the best book I found to give helpful tips and tricks to save money. Most other wedding bargain/budget books I read were unrealistic for the size of the wedding we were having or the location. This book not only gives you the tips and tricks to be a savvy shopper, but it really emphasizes how saving on all the different components of the wedding really adds up. I believe the best part of this book (besides the solid advice and the not-to-be missed pitfalls to avoid from other couples) are the scores of websites it references which really are reliable. We bought my husband's ring off of one of them (even though we were both initially nervous about making such an important purchase online), and the quality was equal to that of our local jeweler, and not to mention, $300 cheaper! As a bride who refused to pay what 'the average cost of weddings was' (over $30,000!) in our area, this book by far was the best resource. I can't wait to read the author's subsequent books about buying a new house and deals for children!

5.0 out of 5 stars incredibly helpful!, December 4, 2013
EJ Riggs (New York, NY United States) - See all my reviews
this book is incredibly helpful! while there were several sources i already knew about (j crew, for example), there were also many i was not aware of (such as getting flowers via internet). i also learned a lot about the wedding industry before i really plunged in, and have so far been able to avoid being ripped off. a must for any couple planning their wedding, or any other big event.

5.0 out of 5 stars ALL brides MUST MUST MUST get!!, October 31, 2013
I haven't even finished reading the book but I've already found it to be a TREMENDOUS help!!!! You MUST read the section on picking out gowns!!! Yes, you can have that designer dress of your dreams! NO, you do NOT need to shell out over a grand for it!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You MUST get this book!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great infomation, October 26, 2013
There was so many different things I didnt even concider looking at for discounts but this book lays them all out for you to consider. There was some infomation i didnt need but I know other women/men would maybe need so this book covers it all. From dresses to budgets. Great advice and real peoples insite.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for gifts, August 21, 2013
Since I found Baby Bargains and used it, then saw there was a wedding one I have started giving them as gifts to my newly engaged friends. They love it, and so far it's something they have never heard of and really appreciate.

Bridal Bargains: Secrets to Throwing A Fantastic Wedding On A Realistic Budget