Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc CaseLangVeirs Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

Format: Audio CD|Change

on May 2, 2011
My first reaction to this fantastic live CD release by Bruce Hornsby & The Noisemakers, titled 'Bride Of Noisemakers' is a simple WOW! It's no secret that true musicianship (musical ability to play songs well live, great versatility & well orchestrated crowd interaction) by musicians truly shows in live performances & thus relatively very few as such are released (as CD or DVD recordings). But this is it : a great performance in the highest order. Some of the tracks being played in a way (innovation/improvisation) that they 'sound/feel' better than album versions e. g. "Candy Mountain Run" from CD 'Halcyon Days' played very well & is from Disc 2 (first track "The Windup/Big Rock Candy Mountain/Candy Mountain Run") or very close to album version e. g. "Cyclone" from CD 'Levitate', played live very well from Disc 1 (first track). Disc 1 (has 12 tracks), Disc 2 (13 tracks) & MP3 download Disc 3 (has 2 tracks : great live performances of their earlier 2 hits that made Bruce Hornsby famous including winning a Grammy for The Best New Artist "The Way It Is" plays for just over 10 minutes & "Mandolin Rain" playing for just under 7 minutes). The songs in this 3 CD release are a well representation of Bruce Hornsby from the great debut with The Rangers to his wonderful career with The Noisemakers. Disc 1 stand-outs tracks/gems include "Cyclone" (a wonderful deep voice on a great melodical track from the CD 'Levitate'), "Country Doctor" (great keyboard/guitar/violin combination, great melody & vocals from the CD 'Hot House'), "Funhouse", "Defenders Of The Flag" (a beautiful pop/rock track with a great saxophone sound & melody from the CD 'Scences From The South'), "Fortunate Son/Comfortably Numb" (a slow great track from the CD 'Here Come The Noisemakers') & "Little Sadie/White Wheeled Limousine/Just One More" (wonderful keyboard note pickups & great vocals). Disc 2 stand-outs/gems include "The Windup/Big Rock Candy/Candy Mountain Run", "Line In The Dust" (a beautiful pop/rock track with great melody & vocals), "Shadow Hand" (wonderful guitar & vocals), "Michael Raphael" (a slow great track building up to a beautiful 'crescendo'/great melody from the CD 'Levitate'), "Gonna Be Some Changes" (a great uptempo track with great vocals from the CD 'Halcyon Days', "Dreamland" (a slow melodical track with great harmonies from the CD 'Halcyon Days'. The piano & guitar solos in this track as well as vocals are incredible! This song 'literaly' transport you to a wonderful place & is my favourite track from this compilation.), "The Goodlife" (great music, melody & wonderful up-tempo vocals from the CD 'Big Swing Face'), "Swan Song" (beautifully played) & "Standing On The Moon" (unbelievable sound & melody, real knock-out track!). If you attended one of Bruce Hornsby & The Noisemakers' live performances during their 2007 to 2009 tour (recording of the music in this release), this is to relive the great performances by this very talented band. On overall, this 3 CD release has magnificent live recordings, great sound/mastering, a highly recommended 3 CD release listening!
77 comments|15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 2, 2011
It just doesn't get much better than Bruce and the Noisemakers live. The band is tight, the arrangements are loose, and the whole thing is just a lot of fun to experience. You can almost hear these guys listening to each other, and each guy is fantastic at what he does. Bruce, JV, Sonny, Doug, JT and Bobby are top-notch. If you want to go deeper than the studio cuts, or just get introduced to the best of jam, buy this album. The whole thing is worth it for the "Fortunate Son/Comfortably Numb" mashup alone.
on May 2, 2011
Bruce Hornsby and the Noisemakers are the best live band still touring. Every show is a mystery because there isn't a set list. They can play all different types of music ranging from Rock, Jazz, and Bluegrass. This album really showcases some the finest live versions of his music and the band. There is even some Grateful Dead music thrown in at the end with the finest post Jerry version of "Standing on the Moon." Buy this now!
on May 2, 2011
I don't know how I've gone my entire life without ever hearing of Bruce Hornsby and the Noisemakers, but I'm sure glad I discovered them today.
I haven't even gotten through the full album yet so I won't try to describe it in detail, but after hearing the samples I deemed it worth the $3.99 leap of faith. Good. Call. I like rock music and blues and jazz and folk and classical piano and, somehow, this music seems to have it all. There are some covers, but I don't mind covers when they're done well. And speaking of covers, I'm definitely intrigued by the album art--and pleased that this download included a PDF file of liner notes as well as a couple of bonus tracks.
Even if I only hear this once it'll be worth the experience/exploration. It's creative, high quality music that's oddly comforting--kind of like when I hear music from my parents' generation. Which I guess makes sense since Bruce Hornsby has apparently been around for awhile...and it sounds like that's a good thing.
on December 20, 2013
GOD! These guys can play....this is soooo fun. It took balls to play Comfortably Numb...I mean seriously, what kind of musicians would gild such a lily? They undertook the task..oh hell yes, they did....and oh, Roger Waters must be proud.
on September 24, 2011
I was not a Bruce Hornsby fan. I was vaguely familiar with some of his radio hits. The thing that impressed me most about him was the knowledge that Bela Fleck considered him enough of a musician to record and play with him from time to time.So when Bela and the Flecktones played recently in Salt Lake City with Bruce and the Noisemakers as their closing act, I figured I would see a decent set to close out the night. I did not expect to see a band that could hold a candle to the Flecktones in terms of musicianship. Boy, was I surprised. It was a totally delightful concert. This album captures the musicianship I heard that night. The sound quality is amazing for a live album. The songs, even those you haven't heard on the radio, range from good to great. The jams are fantastic. For five bucks, it is a steal.
on January 22, 2016
In my opinion, Hornsby can do no wrong. So this is just another in a great line-up of his fabulous recorded works. If youʻre not familiar with Hornsby, I would start with his album titled "The Way It Is" and take it from there. This album is for seasoned Hornsby fans.
Bruce Hornsby first hit the big time almost twenty five years ago with his number one hit "The Way It Is". While he doesn't sells the number of albums he did back in his salad days, he still shows off the great musical chops that made him standout from the normal Top 40 radio sound. This album nicely captures the live experience of Mr. Hornsby and his tight band. If you are looking for a well oiled musical group that makes mature and intelligent music, then give this cd a listen.
on April 12, 2014
I have been a Bruce fan for years from his days with The Range and his tours with the Grateful Dead. I just purchased this MP3 after finding out that he was touring again and would be in our locale this summer (immediately got tickets of course). I love this blend of jazz, folk, rock and know that it will be music that I will listen to and enjoy for years. I'm not a fan of live recordings but this collection is Bruce as an entertainer at his best and the noise from the crowd does not distract from that in the least. I so look forward to this concert in June and this album just reinforces that expectation of a great evening. I would recommend this album to anyone who enjoys a collection of varying styles of music performed by a great artist backed by talented musicians. This would be a great intro for anyone not familiar with Bruce Hornsby as an entertainer or a great revival of respect for someone like me who has not had a dose of Bruce in a while!!
on January 3, 2014
What can I say that hasn't already been said about Hornsby, an absolute genius.

I think the Noisemakers are simply one of those rare ensembles of extraterrestrial musicians that come together every 2 or 3 Pope elections. I can only think of Sting's band back in the 80's that had the same musical impact....

"There's only one rule: Watch Bruce"