Automotive Deals Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Water Sports

on February 21, 2001
OK, so Bride of Re-Animator isn't as good as the original, but as fans know, that was a pretty hard act to follow. I didn't really appreciate this movie as much until I rented this special edition DVD and was blown away! First of all, this movie has the second most hilarious commentary track (the one with Jeffrey Combs and Dan Abbott, as Dr. West and Dr. Cain) I have every heard (the funniest was Evil Dead 2, limited edition-I don't think anything can top that).
I should also point out here in all fairness that I'm a complete Re-animator geek, I saw it in the theater in 1985 and was hooked; I've probably watched it more than any other horror movie-at least 50 times in the last 15 years. I almost broke my legs in my haste getting to the video store when their copy of the sequel came in I was so excited. I was slightly disappointed, but I did have very high expectations. The last 20 minutes or so were pretty impressive, but the prologue I was so psyched to see (more on that later) was completely gone.
When I rented this DVD special edition, though, I decided to actually pick up a copy. Not only; was the commentary by the actors hilarious, but both of the actors, especially Combs, go into interesting details like how the scene was shot,; and even going into the character's motivations. Combs even remembers some of his lines (with the exact inflections he delivered them in), which didn't make me feel like such a geek. You can tell he had a blast making the movie and really enjoyed it. Lines that never struck me as especially amusing before such as Dr. West saying, "My God...they're using tools!" were hilarious when the actor made a few comments afterwards. Anyway, if you're a diehard Re-animator "superfan" (hey,it sounds better than "geek") like me, you HAVE to see this special edition. I can't say enough good things about the commentary-I realize I sound like a broken record now as well as a movie geek, but again, you have to see it for yourself to really appreciate it.
The disc is absolutely packed with cool-a$$ extras-it's one of the double-sided ones, so be sure to check out the other side. Some of the highlights include the unrated version- it doesn't have a whole lot of extra gore, less than a minute, but it's pretty jaw dropping (several more seconds of the climactic meltdown). It includes great behind the scenes footage, (you haven't laughed till you've seen a behind-the-scenes shot of David Hale as Dr. Hill in full make-up, casually playing poker with a pair of bat wings sewed to his head) and a breakdown of a sequence where the detective actually finds Dr. Hill in a sideshow where he's advertised as "The Talking Head From the Miskatonic Massacre" (apparently, he followed West's advice from the first movie).
But the real gem is the deleted original sequence where Dan re-animates Meg (hint: it doesn't go real smoothly). It's sort of a rough cut, but very satisfying- I read about the opening in Fangoria before the movie came out and thought, "man, I can't WAIT to see that-perfect!", so I was really disappointed when it was cut. In fact, it's worth the price of the DVD just to finally get to see Combs as Dr. Herbert West utter the immortal line: "No, Hill didn't kill me...he didn't have the guts." YEAH BABY! I waited over 10 years to hear Jeffrey Combs say that line, and by God, it was worth it. Why they cut the opening, I have no idea. Ah, the invention of the DVD special edition -one of technology's greatest achievements (for us movie fans anyway).
So, if you're a big Combs fan, a big Stuart Gordon fan, a hard-core fan of the first movie, or all of the above like me, this is a must-add to your collection. Even if you weren't that blown away by the first movie, you'll love this special edition- trust me on this. Much, much better than I expected.
Date. Mate. Re-animate.
11 comment| 88 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 14, 2016
The product came only a day after release date and in perfect condition. The artwork is beautiful, there's an insane amount of special features that'll take me a couple days to go through, the comic book prequel series to the original Re-Animator movie is a fun addition as well and the box it all comes in is sturdy. I will be buying more Arrow Video releases in the future.
on April 23, 2016
Just got this today and watched the unrated version and it blew me away. The first time I watched the VHS of this great sequel I was less than thrilled but now that I've seen the unrated version I really love this movie. Herbert and Dan are back in it again back to try and extend Lives and end up having to fight a hoard of reanimated corpses never seeming to learn from their mistakes. The Directors cut comes with 3 discs plus a Prequel trade to the original movie that takes place right after the prologue and right before the opening at Miskatonic University. Plus it has Commentary and Featurettes on the making of the movie. Overall its an awesome movie and an Awesome Blu ray/DVD release. If you're a fan of good Horror from the eighties you can't go wrong with this one.

JD
on April 23, 2016
After having the Original Re-Animator on Blu-Ray for many years, I couldn't wait for a U.S. blu-ray release of Bride Of Re-Animator. Well Arrow FINALLY did a U.S. Release of it!!! I will say that Arrow did an absolutely FABULOUS job of restoring & adding plenty of extras. Plus having the original theatrical release & an unrated is very nice to have.
This was a worthwhile item to buy for the price.
on May 29, 2016
this has lots of versions of the film and it looks great. However I would have rather had a ten dollar edition. This has lots of extras and I hate the limited edition bullcrap too. I wish this would stop. This means they go out of print quickly and he rip off artists then sell them for a huge mark up. I collect this series so I had to spend the 35.00 for a blu ray. Frankly no blu ray should cost more than 36.00 imo, However , this is a fun sequel to the classic re animator series. It's not as good as the first , which horror fans rightly celebrate for it's greatness. But it is good and similar. The picture looks great and at least we are able to see it in hd finally. I think there is a third movie? If so , I hope they don't put it out in a special edition.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 23, 1999
The uncut version is in pretty poor condition. The picture, particularly in dark areas is very pixelly, and the sound is so bad you have to crank it to even hear. This should just be seen as a curiosity because it's only 1 minute longer. The only difference I noticed was in the uncut version, I think the Luetenant swings the dog an extra time and shoves his stump into Francesca's face for an extra few seconds. That's it, really. If there is anything else, it's certainly not noticed. Also it should be noted that this film was shot in Super 35, because it went straight to video. Apparently Brian intended the picture to be matted, and this is an option that is provided. But understand that you are BLOCKING OUT A GREAT DEAL OF PICTURE! It is just as if you took two strips of black construction paper and taped them to your TV screen. The featurette is not narrated and is in fact home movies strung together. It's only about 10 minutes long, but I have to admit seeing David Gale with bat wings on his head playing cards with a zombified Johnny Legend is simply hilarious. The box also makes it sound like it has tons of stuff. Everything except the featurette is in one file titled "Casefiles", which is just a series of stills you step through. For example, "conceptual drawings". There are 2-3 drawings in this mix, as well as 2-3 paragraphs of text regarding the production. All these bloopers, behind-the-scenes, etc. are all part of the featurette, which I think is misleading. The highlight of this disc is the commentary. I have the 10th Anniversary LD for Re-Animator, and it has one of the best commentary tracks I've heard, so I was excited to get this DVD for that reason alone. Here's a case where the jacket doesn't do the disc justice. There are 2 seperate tracks, one with Brian, George, Tom, Howard, Greg, etc., and the other with the comedic stylings of Jeffry Combs and Bruce Abbot. They have a blast reliving the film and tearing it apart at the same time in the vein of Mystery Science Theater 3000. Buy this DVD for this feature alone. Although the featurette is pretty cool, it is way too short, and the other features are more or less a let-down.
on March 9, 2014
I too saw Re-animator when it was released in movie theaters in 1985 and have been hooked ever since. While Bride of Re-animator is not as good as Re-animator, it's still pretty damn good.

Bride takes off where Re-animator left off. How can you go wrong with more of Herbert West and Dan Cain? The same level of sardonic humor informs Bride as the first film, but I think you have to view Bride several times before it really sinks in. I've watched it numerous times and that was my experience. My advice is the same for Re-animator and Bride of Re-animator: watch the Unrated versions. The theatrical releases, which are rated R, are enjoyable but just don't compare in my opinion.

Now, on the transfer for this release: Acceptable, but just that. It could have been so much better. The same goes for Re-animator. All movies are by definition visual, but these two really amp up the viewer's experience with the availability of better transfers. I know I and many others were disappointed by the American bluray release of Re-animator. The recent German bluray releases of Re-animator and Bride of Re-animator are truly eye-popping! Each movie is released in a set containing the Theatrical version, the Unrated version, and an Integrated version, and they really do justice to these movies.

I do not believe the German bluray sets are currently available in the U.S., but they can be purchased on Amazon in the UK. They are expensive, and in PAL format, but true fanatics - and I am happy to include myself in that category - should not hesitate to get them. Hopefully they will become generally available here in the U.S. as well.
on February 18, 2014
I am a Re-Animator fan. I'm a Lovecraft fan. So, this sort of thing is right up my alley. It isn't for everyone. It's gorey, a bit crude at times, and certainly shocking. But, I think that this was the best film in the Re-Animator series. It had some fairly engaging plot points to it.
on December 25, 2014
Im sorry this is the rated R version... I have the 1st and 3rd movies "unrated"... This is the "R" rated version... but I bought it... Still looking for the Unrated version.... This one is still a 5 star to me... But Im longing for the unrated version... Im also looking for the Unameable movie... I have the Unameable2... Please help me people...
on April 10, 2016
Re-Animator was the poster-child for success in the VHS era. Released in 1985 in just 129 theaters, it really came to life on home video where it competed with hundreds of other horror titles that overpromised and under delivered. Director Stuart Gordon's film, though, was the genuine article: a twisted, gory, hilarious take on the writing of H.P. Lovecraft that was embraced by the critics just a wholeheartedly as it was by fans.

Stuart and producer Brian Yuzna quickly collaborated on another successful Lovecraft adaptation, From Beyond (1986), but a sequel to Re-Animator didn't develop until 1989. By that time, Stuart's studio aspirations (he wrote the story for Honey, I Shrunk the Kids) kept him off the project, so Yuzna moved forward with a rushed script and tight budget in attempt to keep the franchise alive.

If it's not obvious enough from the title, Bride of Re-Animator (1989) owes a much bigger debt to the Universal horror films than Lovecraft's complex mythology of interdimensional monsters. It's essentially a Frankenstein story with Dr. Herbert West (Jeffrey Combs) and Dan Cain (Bruce Abbott) continuing their ethically questionable experiments on body parts lifted from the hospital pathology lab.

Escaping any real fallout from the "Miskatonic Massacre" that ended the first film, Herbert is now creating a re-animated freakshow in their basement lab, patching together limbs, digits and eyeballs with reckless abandon. Cain, meanwhile, still pines after his dead fiancé, Meg (although Barbara Crampton doesn't return); so much so that he doesn't object too much when Herbert installs her heart into the latest conglomeration of body parts downstairs. But fate throws a monkey wrench into their scientific plans when the severed head of Dr. Hill (David Gale) plots his revenge, using several re-animated corpses and a grief-stricken cop to do the legwork.

If all that sounds a bit choppy and disconnected, director Brian Yuzna admits he feels the same way. Starting with an odd sequence in Peru where Herbert and Dan are mixed up in a civil war, Bride of Re-Animator feels more like a pitch session than a finished script. The film never has a chance to build momentum, moving from one gag to another - like the "finger-monster" created by stop-motion animator David Allen and Dr. Hill's grafted bat-wings that improbably allow his severed head to fly - with the aim of pleasing the Fangoria crowd.

And as a purely visceral re-cap of the first film, Bride of Re-Animator gets the job done admirably. Yuzna does a good job recapturing the slightly twisted tone, and Jeffrey Combs slips back into mad scientist mode without missing a beat. Even the constant barrage of practical effects - especially the quick parade of freaks created by Screaming Mad George - are sure to give an audience of like-minded fans their money's worth. But it's lacking the "spark" of the original, something that all the fluorescent green re-agent in the world can't seem to bring back.

Arrow Video's Blu-ray DVD limited edition is well worth the investment for those who disagree. Featuring a brand-new 2K restoration of the unrated version (and a second disc of the R-rated cut), the two-disc set comes with a pair of commentaries, new featurettes on the effects, an on-camera interview with Yuzna, a pair of deleted scenes, a ton of behind-the-scenes footage, liner notes and new cover artwork. A sweet set for an average film.