2,489 Reviews
 (1,366)

5.0 out of 5 stars I didn't WANT to see this movie...
To be honest with you all, I really was not interested in seeing this movie, but my sister and my girlfriend dragged me to it. I really thought it would be a much better time for them to bond without me, but well, they disagreed and so I went. Cut to the actual film...
Published on September 19, 2011 by S. M. Suhr

3.0 out of 5 stars Sort of Funny...Sort of Not!
Published 16 months ago by cherryblueberry

5.0 out of 5 stars I didn't WANT to see this movie..., September 19, 2011
This review is from: Bridesmaids (Amazon Instant Video)
I laughed so hard there were actual tears running down my cheeks. I fully expected this to be a chick flick but it surpassed that title 100%. Yes, there was definitely some chick flickittude to it, but overwhelmingly it was a fantastic comedy that went over the top a little but more than made up for it the rest of the time. Truly an amazingly pleasant surprise.

4.0 out of 5 stars I'm A Guy...And I Loved This Movie, September 24, 2011
The JuRK (Our Vast, Cultural Desert) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bridesmaids (Amazon Instant Video)
Finally, I've seen something that stars Kristen Wiig and wasn't a complete disappointment.

I loved her on "Saturday Night Live" and I'm always amazed at how talented she is. In BRIDESMAIDS, she not only stars but also shares writing credit...which is another reason I enjoyed this movie so much:

Only a woman would have written this.

As crude as BRIDESMAIDS sometimes is, rivaling male-oriented gross-out comedies like THE HANGOVER and such, this is still a story that only a woman would write. My case in point: the scene where Kristen feels the need to keep snatching the microphone from best friend Maya Rudolph's rich soon-to-be sister-in-law. The need to assert just how much these girls love and respect and care about Maya...only a woman would have written that. Guys wouldn't understand how much that means to a woman. Male writers would've just come up with schtick to embarass the girls.

So BRIDESMAIDS ends up being a fairly interesting insight into women and how they think.

It's also really funny!

5.0 out of 5 stars "You're no longer my number three!", June 26, 2011
H. Bala "Me Too Can Read" (Recently moved back to Carson, California, or as I call it... the center of the universe) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Bridesmaids (DVD)
Here, I'll say it, BRIDESMAIDS is better than THE HANGOVER. The tipping point is that BRIDESMAIDS comes with a core of emotional truth whereas if you lift that sense of mystery from THE HANGOVER, what's left is a series of skits. BRIDESMAIDS comes with more heart. It passes the smell test, demonstrates staying power. Odds are, it won't be long before other films are being lauded as "the next BRIDESMAIDS." And, based on that comparison, I might check out that other film, too.

Our self-destructive lead character Annie (Kristen Wiig) is informed that "hitting bottom is a good thing," but I think we all know that's a bunch of baloney, a heap of hooey. Character building can go fudge itself if it means one has to go thru what Annie does just to learn valuable life lessons. Annie's had a bad time of it. Her bakery shop went south. Her boyfriend is this self-absorbed, belittling, non-committing assclown. She rooms with an odd and portly British brother and sister whose presence, let's face it, can't possibly make anyone feel comfortable. Her current job as sales clerk at a jewelry store is as fulfilling as it sounds. And, to point out the cherry on her misery cake, Annie's best friend, Lillian (Maya Rudolph), is getting married, with Annie tapped as the maid of honor.

Oh, does Annie have issues. She's one of life's self-saboteurs; she can be blamed for much of the bad joss what's befallen her. She loves her best friend dearly, but the cheap, pathetic side of her can't help but be resentful that their lives are going opposite ways. And since the hits keep on coming, why not now introduce the magnificent Helen (a very good Rose Byrne). Helen is the gorgeous trophy wife of Lillian's fiance's boss, and she's struck up a friendship with Lillian. Helen, wealthy as Croesus, supernaturally efficient at organizing weddings, and determined not to be upstaged. Helen and Annie immediately get on like houses on fire. Annie senses that Helen is poaching her best friend. Out comes the competitive streak. Except that Annie isn't as straight-faced sneaky as Helen. Watch Annie fall apart.

The theater I went to became sheer bedlam, rocking with belly laughs so raucous that entire chunks of dialogue went unheard. So that means something. Unless you're a friggin' recluse, you must have some down-to-earth women friends. These bridesmaids are drawn from stereotypes, but these actresses are all so funny. I can point out several of my women pals who fit several of these molds to a damn T. The fantastic cast works so well together. I haven't laughed so hard in years as when the bridal shop disaster went down. Anyway, this shouldn't come as a shock: Women sleep around, and often exercise the right to be vulgar when in comfortable company, and they certainly engage in scatological humor. Wendi McLendon-Covey ("Rita") is one of the bridesmaids, a discontented housewife with unruly kids, and although she's not in the movie a lot, she makes an impression (especially with that "crack the blanket in half" line). But it's the unfiltered Melissa McCarthy ("Megan"), built like a pugnacious fire hydrant, who ends up stealing the scenes.

Not having watched SNL in forever long, I didn't know Kristen Wiig from Shatner's wig. But now she's fixed on my radar, and now I expect this same level of funny out of her. Kristen Wiig is amazing in BRIDESMAIDS, co-writing it, performing in it. Her character is at turns petty and self-pitying and abusive, and yet there's a pained vulnerability and an innate likability that makes you invest in her. She's so sad sack. You long for her to get her sh-- together, and you pull for her to get with that charming highway patrol cop with the unexpected Irish accent. But she's so resistant, so stuck in her rut. You pull for her.

Setting aside Wiig's ability to emote (which apparently surprised people left and right), her comic talents are what separate her from the pack. She has exquisite comic timing. What she does in that airplane sequence is spectacular stuff. And she exhibits marvelous chemistry with Maya Rudolph. Their friendship feels real; it helps to ground the story. I think this is a huge turning point for Kristen Wiig's career, if she rides this good momentum. And BRIDESMAIDS, it's one of them rare animals, a chick flick that a guy can sit thru without feeling that he's fulfilling an obligation to the girlfriend or the wife.

The DVD gives you the option to watch the Theatrical Version or the Unrated Version, and also the following bonus stuff:

- Lively Audio Commentary with director Paul Feig, co-writer Annie Mumolo, and actors Kristen Wiig, Maya Rudolph, Melissa McCarthy, Wendi McLendon-Covey, and Ellie Kemper
- 3 Deleted Scenes, including Annie on a horrible blind date with Paul Rudd (totaling 00:07:48 minutes)
- 5 Extended & Alternate Scenes, including more grossness at the bridal shop (totaling 00:08:38 minutes)
- Gag Reel (00:03:44 minutes)
- Line-O-Rama - repeated takes, actors trying out ad-libbed lines (00:12:08)
- Cholodecki's Commercial - a faux commercial advertising the jewelry store that Annie gets fired from (00:01:00)

5.0 out of 5 stars I laughed so much my cheeks were hurting, May 16, 2011
This review is from: Bridesmaids (DVD)
Oh...my...goodness...this movie was the funniest thing I've seen IN the theater in a long time. I usually wait for movies to come out on DVD, but this looked pretty interesting, and I wasn't disappointed. It was hilarious!
Finally, a film that shows women are funny too. Kristen Wiggs is stellar, her character is so messed up, but you know there is hope for her. I was sort of expecting a rom-com, but no, this was Sex in the City meets the Hangover. There is a part where they're going to Vegas, but don't quit make it, I would of LOVED to see them all go to Vegas. I don't think that place would be the same.
I highly recommend this movie to anyone looking for entertainment that just makes you laugh. And do keep an eye on the actress playing Megan, she is hysterical. I've seen her in other movies, as a supporting character looking completely different and much more subdued; in bridesmaids she is unfiltered and funny as hell!
Go see this movie, you'll be glad you did.

3.0 out of 5 stars Sort of Funny...Sort of Not!, November 3, 2013
This review is from: Bridesmaids (DVD)
This movie was semi-funny....hence the 3 stars. HOWEVER....I feel so much of this movie was way too "over-the-top"...like the writers just wanted to shock and gross out, as opposed to crafting a more sophisticated in-depth comedy about two friends. Wait a minute, that's it...that's what's been bothering me about this movie...it's not at all SOPHISTICATED! It's more like a gross-out movie for men - geared for women.

I wanted to like Bridesmaids. After all, it's a chick-flick and I am a chick. In the movie, Kristen Wiig is best friends with the bride-to-be, and is chosen to be the maid of honor at her wedding. Enter Helen, a woman who is also friends with the bride-to-be....a smug superior "perfect" women who is going to wreak havoc on Kristen Wiig's already beaten down character's life. Helen is there to take over all the bridesmaid "duties." She is also there to take over the duty of "best friend" to the bride.

Before long, the bride-to-be (played by Maya Rudolph) is bonding with Helen ten times more than she is bonding with Kristen Wiig's character.

So sets up a huge female rivalry...the basis for the movie.

There are also other colorful characters, such as the pack of bridesmaids......all very different from each other....one is quite naÔve, another is very manly, and still another is sick and tired of her kids and ready to have some ........in her face at a bachelorette party in Vegas (fill in the blank)!

Okay, Kristen Wiigs character: She's insecure, in a nutshell...still reeling after the failure of her bakery (Cake Baby)....and in a bad relationship with a jerk who is only using her.

Now let's talk about the actress Kristen Wiig...she is very funny. She can take a scene and play it out in such a way that it leaves you in hysterics. She's quirky and likable....not the usual leading lady these days...not trashy or cliché. She is unique, which is definitely a plus for this movie.

I liked the first half of this movie way better than the second half. After a while, the movie did seem to drag on a bit. WARNING: without giving anything away, there is a really, REALLY gross scene in this movie....my husband liked it. In fact, he was annoyed about being forced to watch a "chick flick"...then ended up enjoying the movie more than me!

So what's my final word on Bridesmaids? I'm still not sure! On the plus side, there are definitely funny parts to this movie....there is also some character development and actual real emotion tossed in here and there...the cop is cute (thought I'd add that!)....on the minus side, though, I think they were going too much for "over-the top" shock value at points instead of developing the characters more and creating funny dialogue.

But....if you just want to be entertained and not have to use your brain for awhile...go for it! Bridesmaids is perfect to just pop in and veg out to...just don't expect to laugh and feel the emotions like you did in Bridgette Jones Diary...or even He's Not that Into You. They do try to manipulate you into "feeling emotion" at the end of the movie, but it seems a bit forced and fake to me at that point.

However, I am rambling. Just watch the movie...be entertained....and include your husband or boyfriend. He may enjoy it more than you!

5.0 out of 5 stars I laughed til I hurt, May 27, 2011
This review is from: Bridesmaids (DVD)
Went to see Bridesmaids at the theater tonight. Within minutes, I knew I'd be going back to see it tomorrow, and I will own it the day the DVD is released! I'm not going to rehash the plot - others have already done it justice. I will say that I have never laughed so hard in my life! Most "comedies" seem childish to me, and by the midpoint I'm bored with it. I didn't want Bridesmaids to end. My face hurts, my ribs hurt - I laughed that hard. It's a film with characters who seem more like someone you might know - thirty-something women unashamed of being thirty-something women - with all the craziness that goes along with it. This is THE funniest movie I have ever seen!

4.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious, but not The Hangover' For Women", November 16, 2011
EKP "Allianora" (Chapel Hill, NC United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bridesmaids (Amazon Instant Video)
Like many people, I was driven to rent this movie after hearing rave reviews. It was not what I expected (constant, slapstick comedy), but I still thoroughly enjoyed it. If you've ever been a bride, a bridesmaid or a maid of honor, you can probably relate to most of the humor in this film that has clearly been written by (and to an extent for) women. I would caution that the bulk of the main character's storyline is probably more relevant to viewers in their mid-twenties and older.

A lot of the disappointed reviews share the same theme - they weren't anticipating the downward-spiral situation Kristen Wiig's character experiences throughout the movie. I'm not a particular fan of cringe-worthy embarrassing moments, but I found these fairly tolerable because those that weren't realistic were funny, those that were realistic I could somewhat relate to, and the rest simply weren't bad enough (though yes, you may have the urge to yell at Kristen Wiig to 'snap out of it') to ruin the whole movie for me.

Strengths: Dialogue (as written), Main Comedic Actresses, and niche Comedy
Weaknesses: Misleading Trailer, Sub-plots of Inconsistent Strength, Effortless Ending

4.0 out of 5 stars A Bunch of Bouncing Bridesmaids!, August 29, 2014
This review is from: Bridesmaids (DVD)
I've heard such varying reviews of this movie from hilariously funny to "don't bother." I put off watching it until someone else recommended it. I have to admit that the first part of the movie with the bedroom scene with the loser boyfriend really put me off, but I persevered and was glad I did!

Annie, played by the delightful Kristen Wiig has had her share of bad luck and wears it on her sleeve. She's lost her bakery business, she's rooming with a Brit guy and his sister who are beyond weird, she's in a "relationship" with a hot looking guy who is not that into her, and she now has a job in a jewelry store courtesy of her mom. The bright spot in her life is her best friend from childhood, Lillian, who announces her engagement and wants Annie as her maid of honor. And this is where the misadventure starts!

This movie I liked because it's a total spoof on the whole wedding industry. And in this case, it clearly goes over the top because another woman in the wedding party(wife of the fiancé's boss) decides that she is now the best friend of Lillian and is going to give her a wedding to remember. The competition is on between Annie and Lillian's new friend.

What happens is a series of disasters that only happen in a movie. A bad reaction to Brazilian food results in embarrasing moments at a bridal salon, a Las Vegas trip interrupted by security issues, a bridal shower of Hollywood dimensions, and all of them involve Annie. Another bright spot though, is being stopped by a not so bad looking cop, played by Chris O'Dowd. This starts to be promising, but Annie is still having issues. The most important being that Lillian is upset with her, and she feels a loss.

Friendship is the biggest theme of this film. Keeping long time relationships intact. Trying to understand those that need friends and try too hard to please them. Or ignoring those that want a friendship and actually can be more therapeutic in hours of need.

Melissa McCarthy really stole the show as a bridesmaid, sister of the groom. There are so many laugh out loud moments that involve her--starting with the fitting session and then on the plane, as well as adopting all the "shower favors." I've enjoyed seeing her in movies and I'm going to have to watch more of them. She is funny and also brings reality to the story. It was great to see Jill Clayburgh again, and she played Annie's mother very well. This is a light movie that entertains but there really are good lessons to be learned.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lots of good laughs and some decent emotion, May 15, 2011
This review is from: Bridesmaids (DVD)
And so the masses cried out,"Where is the twenty-something gross-out comedy for women?" and lo, the gods of cinema did smile and outpoured Bridesmaids, the latest effort from producer Judd Apatow, the genius mind behind such films as The 40-Year-Old Virgin and Knocked Up.

The movie centers on Annie (Kristian Wiig, who also wrote the screenplay), whose best friend Lillian (Maya Rudolph), is about to get married. Her newest friend (Rose Byrne), a type-A who organizes everyone's parties/lives, appears to be stealing away affection from Annie who starts to go slowly mad. Annie's life hasn't been in the best of shape anyhow since she lost her business, lost all her money, lost her job and her apartment. Having this added stress on top of it doesn't make things easier and though she eventually gets a new boyfriend in the form of an Irish immigrant cop (Chris O'Dowd), her life remains chaotic and unhappy. Mind you, this is a comedy.

And for the most part, it's a very funny! It's rude and crude in parts (particularly in a scene in a bridal shop), but those parts are funny, so I'm fine with that. I will say the movie starts off very strong, sags significantly in the middle (the airplane scene went on way too long), and recovers somewhat in the end. There's still some laughs in the later parts, but the first portion of the movie is where most of the fun is to be had. I will also say that the first part is strong enough to make up for the sagging parts in the middle.

This isn't a perfect movie, but it is fun and it is worth seeing. Hopefully it will be the start of a trend where people write good comedy films about women and their relationships, much as they have with men. This movie stands well on its own, but if it's the start of something bigger, I'll be quite pleased.

4.0 out of 5 stars I LOVE Kristen Wiig!!!, May 17, 2011
This review is from: Bridesmaids (DVD)
Kristen Wiig is the only reason I wanted to see this movie, and she is hilarious! Of course, it had more great actresses such as Maya Rudolph, Melissa McCarthy, and Wendi McLendon-Covey. There were a lot of hilarious and disgustingly awesome jokes. Wiig plays Annie, best friend to Lillian who is about to get married. Annie is asked to be the Maid of Honor and becomes jealous of Lillian's new rich friend, Helen. Throughout the movie, Annie slowly goes crazy and constantly competes against Helen. If you want a good decent comedy, you'll love BRIDESMAIDS!!!

Bridesmaids
Bridesmaids by Paul Feig (DVD - 2011)
$19.98 $9.96