5.0 out of 5 stars Great Way To Continue The Story
Published on September 11, 2011 by Joy

3.0 out of 5 stars A review for fans of the series
Published on November 7, 2011 by greenlawler

3.0 out of 5 stars A review for fans of the series, November 7, 2011
This review is from: The Bridge to Never Land (Peter and the Starcatchers) (Hardcover)
I have been a loyal fan of the Starcathers series since discovering the books five years ago. I dived into every one even reading the Neverland "Short Stories" and the Kingdom Keepers series because of Ridley Pearson. Upon reading "Bridge" I was immediatly dissapointed. First of all the writting style had changed. The phraseology, the flow, the whole "feel" of the book was different. It resembled the Kingdom Keepers series much more than the previous four Starcatcher books. It is not just the fact that the story no longer takes place in the distant past, it's that the attitudes, motivations, and demeanor, of the Starcatchers, and Neverland Inhabitants seemed to change. The young people of the story, the lead characters, are annoying at times, and there is little reason given for liking either of them. In fact the authors (or author as I suspect, more on that later)seem to take so much time describing their weaknesses that we have little motivation for coming around to them at the end or actually wanting them to win. Peter a fun loving brash boy of the Starcatcher series turned into the self serving Peter of the origianl Berrie books. This is a change consistant for those who would love the Starcatcher series to stay true to the original work but not consistant with the Starcatcher series. Hook in this tale is treated more like the bumbling cartoonish Disney version than the sly "Black Stache" of the Starcather series. Another let down is the fact that we meet zero new villains. Every book thus far has given us a cavalcade of fun, unique, and nefarious, characters to compliment the likes of Hook, not here. In every book there are multiple plots going on weaving together, in "Bridge" all the characters are on the same "stage at one time" it is a very streamlined plot.
Without revealing anything about the plot, if you are a fan of the books you will find that "Bridge" is okay, just okay. There are some very creative elements. There is a dash of historical fiction, and there are some moments where you get really nervous for the characters. However it is not good enough and is not what I have come to expect of this series. I did not care for the characters, I did not like the "feel". And although simply a matter of prefrence, I wish they had not brought the story into the 2000's... All this being said, the book provided enough intrigue that I finished it with a smile.
I suspect, and I may be way off base, that Dave Barry had less to do with this story than the other four. This book felt like another installment of the Kingdom Keepers for the first 3/5 and then a quick Neverland tale is thrown in at the end. The Kingdom Keepers series was almost unreadable, for me, after the first book. I hope this is not the direction of the series from here on out.
On a side note, and I do not want to sound like I am just picking out things to be critical but this really bothered me. As one reviewer mentioned in a review, I am not sure why the author felt like the characters had to use the word "God" so often. This is very offensive to people from many religious backgrounds.
I hope the series continues, but I would like for it to go back to being more like a Starcatcher book, than Kingdom Keepoers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Way To Continue The Story, September 11, 2011
I thought this book was a clever way to bring the Starcatcher books into the real world. Sara and Aidan are modern day teenagers who discover that the books they thought were fiction are actually recordings of past events. This book is a lot alike and a lot different than the previous four. It shares many of the same elements as the other books (starstuff, Ombra, flying) but also reads differently then the last four with the point of view staying mostly with Sara and Aidan.
This book starts out as a mystery, turns into a ghost story, then a chase scene, then a mystery again, an adventure story, and ends with a little bit of everything mixed together. I loved it. Although the chase scene does get a little long, the ending is worth it.
There were several parts that had me laughing for several minutes (the flying van for example) and many parts that got my heart pumping.
Overall this book is an awsome extension of the Starcatcher series with some new twists and turns, and I hope another one will soon follow after.

4.0 out of 5 stars It was good, December 4, 2011
I liked the book. I just hated how I became a big fan of the series and then got let down that Peter wasn't until the end of the book. I also didn't like the new characters. I was even a little disappointed that Wendy kind of replaced Molly in the previous book. I think Mr. Pearson and Barry should stick to the original characters. I don't think that many people like getting rid of old characters that you have grown to love. At least not many people I know.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great series for kids 12+, November 26, 2011
The Starcatchers series is wonderful! Don't let the length of the book scare you off - if your kids can read the Harry Potter series with no problems they won't have any trouble reading this one. Yes it's long - but engaging, action packed and full of scenes to trigger your kids imaginations.

I came in late on this series and will be adding the other books into my personal library. The Bridge to NeverLand and the whole Starcatchers series is based on the questions "how did Peter Pan come to be? and "how did he get to Neverland?" In this book you have a brother sister (Sarah & Aiden) team who come across a mystery box and in the hunt for the answers they go to Europe and the States to learn about the Shadow Thieves who are after them for a box they found. Lord Oombra is a wizard who is seen as crows that can transform to accomplish their evil deeds. They can "possess" a person also to get them to do what they need - and the only way to know that person has been possessed is through their dead eyes.

I strongly suggest that you start with the first book. Maybe purchase books 1 & 2 for your kids to read, to add to their stockings, birthday gifts first and then continue working on the series a book or two at a time. You can read them out of order - but then you'll be sitting there thinking - I've GOT to read the others!

4.0 out of 5 stars How many times have you wished that a literary world was real and that you could be part of it?, October 18, 2011
How many times have you wished that a literary world was real and that you could be part of it? Barry and Pearson bring the Starcatchers into the present day with a large dash of historical intrigue.

The Bridge to Never Land (Starcatchers) by Dave Barry and Ridley Pearson. 2011. 448 pp.

One afternoon, Aiden and Sarah Cooper find a yellowed envelop in a hidden compartment of a desk. They decipher a cryptic message that leads Sarah to revisit one of her favorite book series, Peter and the Starcatchers. The authors entwine the Starcatchers lore into a modern setting and introduce the two new characters that must follow the clues to become the very heroes they worship.

The clues lead Aiden and Sara from their home in America to London (on a family vacation, of course) where they search for the locations from the earlier books. The segments of the kids in London reminded me of the Da Vinci Code and National Treasure. The family returns to America and Sarah attempts to hide the Starstuff but run into trouble. They contact one of the last members of the Astor family to see if he can offer any help and they unweave a tale that includes Albert Einstein and a visit with a beloved Magic Kingdom attraction.

As can be expected, time is spent on Never Land with the Mollusks, Captain Hook and Peter Pan. It is an exciting interlude that results with Peter visiting the Magic Kingdom to battle an immaterial villain from the series' past. The Bridge is great device that allows Never Land to exist yet remain hidden from modern eyes. Barry and Pearson have always added humor to the books, but it seems like their is a lot more levity in this title. It might be because the story is more modern or because the authors felt like they had more freedom with the newer characters.

I am not a fan of Pearson's Kingdom Keeper series--I found the Disney-related compromises that were taken for the story arc disconcerting and inaccurate. In Bridge, it was fairly simple to figure out that the trio was heading to the Magic Kingdom, so I suffered some trepidation about how Barry and Pearson were going to integrate the theme park into the story. Fortunately, they handled it wonderfully and the final act was exciting, page-turning and believable.

The Starcatchers series is well worth the time spent with all five books. There isn't a weak book in the series and each title expands the Peter Pan mythos in credible directions. I urge you to pick up Peter and the Starcatchers and start the journey. As I have mentioned in previous reviews, the Starcatchers titles are geared toward the young teen audience, but readers of all ages will enjoy their trips to Never Land. From the ending, I can assume that there will be a sixth title in the series coming soon. And I can't wait to get back to Never Land.

5.0 out of 5 stars great series, September 18, 2011
I have been buying this series from the beginning, both for myself and then for various kids in our lives. We all love them. The kids really appreciate not being talked down to and the girls love having strong female characters to relate to.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love the series, September 18, 2011
I have read all the Peter and the Starcatchers books even though I am an adult. I love this new addition to the series, bringing it into the present. I also loved the Disney touch but won't give it away. I think these books are great for children, teens and adults. I really hope that there is a sequel.

2.0 out of 5 stars disappointed, May 13, 2012
I really enjoyed the earlier books so I was looking forward to reading this one. But try as I might, I never was able to connect. The first half especially was difficult at times for me to get through. I found the main characters often annoying, like I was listening to my kids argue just for the sake of it. Things picked up a bit for me in the second half though, unlike the earlier books, I didn't have that touch of sadness at having finished a story I was really into. I won't be seeking out the Jim Dale audio version to listen to on a long driving trip.

Another thing that I found distracting was the high profile presence of Google, Apple and especially Disney in the story. In the book's forward there's mention of behind-the-scenes tours and I'm sure the authors were treated very nicely in appreciation. Disney couldn't have asked for better treatment had they wrote the book themselves.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun twist on the adventures of Peter Pan, December 9, 2011
Fifth in the Peter and the Starcatchers fantasy adventure series for kids. This installment takes us beyond what we expect of Peter Pan in a contemporary America.

My Take
Okay, it is a fun adventure but there was something missing in it for me. I suspect part of my disappointment was in the story's contemporary setting when I was expecting something with more "history".

It's still a clever manipulation of the Peter Pan fantasy that weaves in our own Disney World with the even more clever inclusion of Albert Einstein. With luck, it'll inspire kids to explore or at least be more open to Einstein and quantum mechanics.

The Story
In 1905, the Starcatchers approached Albert Einstein for help in protecting Never Land. A protection that was modified in 1971 by Pete Carmoody.

Today...
While chasing Aidan down to get her iPhone back, Sarah and Aidan inadvertently discover a secret hideaway in their dad's new-to-him antique desk. A letter from Aster to Mister Magill. It's Sarah's encyclopedic knowledge of the Starcatcher books that enables her to recognize the name Magill. And it is the impetus that sends Sarah and Aidan on their quest to solve the clue in the letter and discover the stored cache of starstuff.

Lucky for them, their parents have planned a family trip to England making their quest possible. Unlucky for them, as finding the starstuff triggers a chase by the weakened Lord Ombra and his allies, the ravens. A most formidable enemy as he directs his ravens to follow them across the Atlantic and cross country in the U.S. as Sarah and Aidan flee their parents and Ombra trying to find a starcatcher who can help them. An unexpected use for Facebook and Craigslist, but it does result in an email from a J. D. Aster.

But when Sarah and Aidan reach Dr. Aster, they find that he is quite resistant to the myth and by the time they convince him, the police are coming to arrest them all. Their escape is bare and they only manage to elude the electronics that stretch along the East Coast by the skin of their teeth. Together they decide the only safe place for the starstuff is in Never Land and J.D.'s grandfather's diary provides the clues they follow with some help from Mac and Carmoody's widow, Fay.

A trail they follow to Disney World in Florida. With still more clues to decipher and adventures to follow. To convince Peter. To rescue Aidan from Ombra's clutches.

The Characters
Aidan Cooper enjoys the usual relationship most siblings have with older sisters. Sarah, the older sister, practically has the Peter and the Starcatcher series memorized. Tom and Natalie Cooper are their history-minded parents.

Lord Ombra is still weak from the battle in Peter and the Secret of Rundoon (The Starcatchers) but clever enough to survive in pieces. Lester Armstrong is a private investigator with a talent for computer research and he is soon hot on the trail of the runaways. Armstrong is not the most ethical of men. Hector Gomez and Wanda Blight are the FBI agents in charge of retrieving the "kidnapped" children.

J. D. Aster is a physics professor at Princeton University and a non-believing descendant of the original Lord Aster. Allen "Mac" Macpherson, a friend of Aster's, turns out to have been involved much later with the bridge project and provides an uncertain refuge. He does remember that Pete Carmoody was involved in a project to make a smaller, more portable bridge that eventually ended up in the most wonderful place on Earth.

The inhabitants of Never Land from Captain Hook, Smee, and his crew; Teacher; the chief of the Mollusk Indians, Fighting Prawn and his son Bold Abalone with the rest of the village; a very suspicious Peter Pan and Tinker Bell; the Lost Boys: Tootles, Nibs, Curly, Slightly, and the twins; and, Mister Grin.

The Cover
The cover is a murder of ravens chasing, surrounding Sarah and Aidan as they flee across a bridge at Disney World.

The title is too true as quantum physics has allowed a safe dimension for the island as well as The Bridge to Never Land.

3.0 out of 5 stars Looked Promising..., September 22, 2011
While hunting through the library bookshelves for a completely different book one afternoon, I stumbled upon this. The title was the thing that did me in. I'm a huge fan of anything Peter Pan, so naturally, this appealed to me very much. After I had read the description, I got even more excited. It was sort of a sequel to the Starcatchers series I so much enjoyed. So, totally ditching the other book I had come to get, I got this out instead.

Unfortunately, as much as I was excited about this book, it did not turn out to be very great, in my opinion. For one, it didn't seem to have the general feeling of the previous book's writing. I took into account that this is supposed to happen a long, long time after the other book took place, but I still couldn't get into it. The pace went far too quickly, the characters didn't catch my immediate attention and draw me in, and the writing didn't stand out to me at all. I really wanted to give this the benefit of the doubt and enjoy it, but I just couldn't get into it. The adventure was fun, I will admit, but it wasn't my cup of tea.

There were several negative things that I think might have added to the feeling I came out with. First of all, I did not enjoy the general lying, stealing and treatment the children gave to the parents. It was very disrespectful and I did not appreciate that. The second thing I really did not like in the book was the fact that the Lord's name was taken in vain more than a dozen times.

The Bridge to Never Land (Peter and the Starcatchers)
The Bridge to Never Land (Peter and the Starcatchers) by Dave Barry (Hardcover - August 9, 2011)
Used & New from: $0.46