ended up going in to a luggage shop in nyc and purchased based on some good, old fashioned hands on time. this briggs and riley is where i landed after about 30 minutes of tinkering with bags in the store.

Published 23 months ago by dnorm

1.0 out of 5 stars Not a good choice
It stands on an angle not straight. Tips over all the time when another bag is slid over the extended handle.

And the nylon body drags on the floor/asphalt/concrete. Corners were showing signs of wear after just two trips of very light and normal use. I returned it and bought a Tumi.
Published 3 months ago by Scott O

5.0 out of 5 stars superb quality. incredible warranty. holds more than you'd think., October 20, 2012
dnorm (Manhattan.) - See all my reviews

in the store, i looked at tumi quickly and just couldn't justify the cost. i then narrowed it down to two choices: the victorinox werks 4.0 WT 22, and then also this briggs and riley transcend 22 (simply heard too many polarizing reviews on the newer travelpro luggage).

the single arm on the victorinox seemed like it'd be limiting if i wanted to stack my messenger bag on top of the luggage and lay it against the telescoping handle even with the strap that allows you to secure it (briggs and riley has two sides that are straight and the victorinox was a single telescoping handle that is curved).

both bags offered different mechanisms for packing suits/shirts with limited wrinkling. i preferred briggs and riley's though winner: b and r.

both bags' telescoping handles seemed to work very fluidly and always opened and closed (key deciding factor here as this is what sent south with my travelpro). the biggs and riley handle was longer and felt a bit more industrial. winner: b and r.

both bags offered the ability to clip on a briefcase to the front of the luggage. winner: tie.

both bags had great warranties (with carrier damage covered) but the victorinox was only for five years while briggs and riley is lifetime and heavily marketed as "simple as that". winner: b and r.

the outside pouch this bag has also is really convenient for tossing a small camera bag or sweatshirt in the front of it and if you don't want to use it rolls up and tucks away in the bottom pocket. + for b and r.

the interior of the briggs and riley is also flat as the handle is on the outside of the luggage, the werks had the telescoping handle located in the interior of the bag which consumed some interior space. winner: b and r.

so after going through all of the pro's and cons' and a bit of negotiating this briggs and riley is what i left the store with.

some usability info:

i'm currently on a two week trip for work (including one weekend) and this bag was able to carry the amount of clothes for this trip without issue. i imagine after seven years of traveling for work i may pack on the efficient side, and i don't wear suits for my job, but button downs (six of them) undershirts and jeans (three pairs) as well as two pairs of shoes and swim trunks - all fit in there nicely. i have never owned a piece of luggage that was designed to have the shirts "hung" in the luggage which you then fold up inside nicely and mostly wrinkle free on the other side, but i am hooked now, quite impressed with the hangar and attachment mechanism and how that works. really cool feature.

it wheeled through the airport effortlessly and my messenger bag stacked on top just great. i've found a hidden pocket on the front i didn't know existed and the pocket on the underside where the telescoping handle is attached is awesome for throwing your electronics in when going through airport security.

the united 767's overhead compartment gobbled up the bag without issue and it shut without complaint.

it is always great to be completely happy with your purchase after the purchase performs better than you had expected.

briggs and riley has my five stars on this one!

will do my best to update this if i run into any unexpected issues or discover any additional cool features!

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect luggage!, April 17, 2013
This review is from: Briggs & Riley Luggage 22 Inch Carry On Expandable Upright Bag (Accessory)
I am an international flight attendant and have been traveling for the past 25 years so I've had my share of luggage! My Travel Pro handle broke just as I was starting a trip. I was told their handles were an ongoing problem and one that I couldn't go back to. I did a LOT of research before buying luggage since I'm so picky and I need it to last a long time. The luggage arrived just as I was getting ready to start a 6 day trip to Japan and Singapore. At first I panicked and thought it would be too small. But it fit everything I needed and then some. All of my research paid off. I was able to pay for it with my rewards points, but told someone this luggage is worth your $$$.

Rolling it is easy and lightweight. It's almost hard to believe you can fit so much into it. Very well designed. Just so you know I'm a female and we usually pack more stuff than guys do!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Carry-On I've Owned, January 5, 2013
Recently completed my first trip with the 22" Transcend that I received as a gift...it was great. I travel 75+ days a year for work, so having a nice, functional bag really helps. I usually travel with either a 22" for 1-2 day trips or a 24" for 3-5 day trips. My 22" Samsonite has lasted 10 years, but the weight was starting to kill my arm. My 24" TravelPro Crew 7 has fallen apart in just 2 years.

What I like about the Briggs and Riley 22":
- Obvious quality of construction
- It holds a lot of clothes
- It is light...a few pounds makes a big difference!
- Telescoping handle mechanics are on the outside....frees up room inside the luggage
- Handle is the right length...with my attached computer case it balances well
- Built in garment bag is the best I've used...it accommodated a suit and 2 dress shirts easily
- Compartments are right size and in the right place
- Interior elastic straps hold everyone together
- Unconditional warranty

The only thing I wish it had was a padded compartment for my laptop so I could free up some space (and weight) in my laptop case.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is, March 17, 2013
The best carry on bag I have had...which is saying something as I am a million miler on 3 airlines and very rarely check a bag.

5.0 out of 5 stars Luggage that is not cheap! But, we are talking Quality!, May 31, 2013
David M. Beasley "dbeasley1" (Charleston, SC United States) - See all my reviews
You will be done buying luggage for a long time! If you figure..."hey, I can go to TJ MAXX/Marshals and buy 3 bags for that price!" True, you could...but, you will not have the zipper or the handle break in the TSA 'line from hell' or have the rollers go inoperative with this brand. It is true quality and I am afraid to say that's what you are paying for. You won't go wrong getting Briggs & Riley. Enjoy! Aircrew member and constant flyer both domestic and international. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great bag, September 24, 2012
I travel on lots of 3-5 day trips and that's what I bought this bag for. It's perfect for that. I can fit all of my work clothes and workout gear (including running shoes and a TRX kit) in it. I love the pocket on the back side for my liquids/gels. The suiter pocket is about as good as you can expect it to be (though you shouldn't expect it to transport your shirts and jacket wrinkle-free.) I think this has about the right amount of organization. Some bags have too many pockets and too much stuff going on, but this seems to hit the right happy medium. We'll see how this survives a few years of travel, but my initial review is nothing but positive.

5.0 out of 5 stars Carryon, July 22, 2013
I was forced to buy this in the airport when my old carry on burst free of if zippers, spilling contents everywhere. It was an expensive purchase in an airport shop but it has been worth it. The zippers on this are heavy duty. The fabric is great quality. I fill this bag to bursting every time I travel and it just sucks it up and holds it in. Love this bag.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great bag, handle on wrong side., November 20, 2013
LOVE this suitcase. This may sound weird, but the reason I knocked it down by a star is that the handle is on the wrong side of the suitcase. 95% of suitcases have it opposite of where it is on the Briggs & Riley, and I have to admit, the location drives me crazy when I reach up to take my suitcase out of the overhead compartment. I also don't love that you can't remove the hanging bag part of the suitcase.

Other than that - looks great, very lightweight - no complaints!

5.0 out of 5 stars Briggs & Riley Delivers Again, December 4, 2013
Bought this as a replacement to an older Briggs & Riley roller (15 years and still going strong), and again they deliver. I've never had an issue with it fitting in an overhead, the garment portion works great keeping extra shirts and slacks from wrinkling and the outside pockets make moving through security a breeze. I am easily to fit everything for a week trip to include a pair of size 13 shoes and a Briggs toiletry kit. I highly recommend this for the frequent business traveler or just as your go to roller for the occasional trip.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect size carry-on, September 8, 2013
This is the perfect size carry-on that meets international flight limitations. I love it's upright, narrow profile because it allows you to wheel it thru most gates and airplane aisles.
It also as many separate compartments which allow for separating items to prevent wrinkling and commingling clean and dirty laundry.

Rate and Discover Movies