on September 19, 2012
Bought this for a girls trip and will be using it for the first time tomorrow. The things that sold me on this bag:
1) B&R reputation is outstanding.
2) Lifetime warranty on repairs of the bag.
3) The pull-handle is on the outside of the bag. Amazing how much more room it gives you to pack. Probably makes it easier for repairs if they're needed too.
4) 4-wheel spinner bag. This was a must for me as my wrists starts to ache, especially when I have a laptop bag parked on top of my 2-wheeled carry-on.
5) Spinners have two wheels each - I figure if one breaks I won't be completely disabled.
6) Lots of pockets & organization, even one on the back between the frame of the pull-handle (perfect for chargers).
7) Weight. It's light - if I have to check it I shouldn't have any issues with it being too heavy.
8) Construction seems to be top notch. Zippers seem solid, wheels spin very smoothly, fabric seems heavy-duy and I think it'll hold up well to use.
9) I bought the Sunset color too. It's darker than is in the picture, and I think a much nicer rich color. Again, if I ever check it, it should be easy to pick out ofthe sea of black bags.

Two things to note: It doesn't expnd and it doesn't include a suiter.

Can't wait to pack tonight. I don't anticipate having any problems. Will update after it's been used a few times to note how it's holding up.

11/26/12: Just a quick update - I've used this bag a few times since purchase and it's been flawless. There's so much room in this bag that I can't believe I almost didn't buy it because it doesn't expand. Could very easily pack for a 7-10 day trip. Have loved having the spinner wheels too - absolutely no issues transitioning from carpet to tiles floors, across sidewalk cracks, etc. HIGHLY recommend this bag!
on July 10, 2012
Finally fed up with airline fees to check baggage, along with accumulated damage done to said baggage, I finally decided to start packing light and invested in this bag, coupled with the Briggs & Riley luggage shopping tote, both in Sunset.

Between the two bags, I (amazingly!) had no trouble packing for 2 weeks, and the spinner fit perfectly into the overhead compartment. The tote is designed to fit over the handle of the spinner in such a clever way that the weight is always perfectly balanced--no toppling over as less well-designed luggage does. The spinner wheels make the suitcase incredibly easy to maneuver, even down the aircraft aisle--just turn it sideways and push it ahead of you.

The color is gorgeous; if I ever were to check the bag, there would be no problem identifying it as it came around baggage claim carousel. I ordered Briggs & Riley in the first place because my shoe & luggage repair guy told me that B&R were by far the best luggage he'd ever dealt with, and their lifetime warranty made it a very smart choice.

Update 20 January 2015: The B&R carry-on spinner continues to perform admirably. Aside from a bent zipper--from the one time I checked it--it still looks like new. I try not to feel smug about the envious glances thrown my way as I easily stack the luggage tote and roll them sideways down narrow airline aisles. I make a couple of dozen air and auto trips a year. This luggage was pricier than others, but I'm convinced that it was well worth it. This is a winner!
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I haven't used my luggage yet but I must say it is beautiful. I spent HOURS shopping at a luggage store in the mall and not buying anything and then more hours researching online before buying this Briggs & Riley Transcend International Spinner.

I own enough "practical" black in my life and am so glad that I decided to buy the "Sunset" color which is really gorgeous and much like the picture.

This looked like the largest size available that is still carry-on both domestically and internationally. When I travel (by flight), I carry enough for at least five days and usually travel with only one carry-on that is as large as allowed plus a small carry-on to hold things I want while on the plane. I don't want to have to check items in nor go through baggage when I get off a flight.

I watched a video on the Briggs & Riley website showing all the stuff the person had just unpacked from this very same piece of luggage after having been on a trip for a week (lots including several pairs of shoes). The video also showed packing tips that veterans already know such as rolling up your clothes to reduce wrinkles and filling up little spaces with small items. That was nice but I was there to study the luggage itself.

I like that the pull-handle is on the outside and not making lumps inside the case so clothes can be stored smoothly in a rectangular area. I also sat with a spreadsheet open and calculated square inches of packing space and this was the all-around winner for type and capacities of compartments for carry-on domestic/international.

It has all the features I could want: sturdy handles on top and side, large zip poutch on the front for papers or magazine, another large pocket for my netbook or other items and huge, nicely divided interior space. It is fairly light when empty. I loaded up some things and tested pulling it around and the spinner wheels. It is super easy to navigate.

I've worked hard all my life and am pretty frugal, determined to get my money's worth and buying lasting quality and beauty when I can. This is an expensive piece of luggage but if I can still be using it decades from now, then I got a great deal. I read many excellent reviews on the Briggs & Riley website. The LIFETIME warranty was the final selling point.

I love my new luggage!
1/5/2013: Update: I have used my luggage and really enjoy that it wheels so easily, is beautiful, and holds as much as my former luggage. I like having a section that holds damp items though I still will put in a plastic bag first. So far, so good.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 25, 2013
I bought this to go to Italy 3 weeks ago -- I wanted a smaller carry on for European flights, and I wanted a spinner. While the bag is roomier than I expected, it seems very solid and well-made, and the handling and wheels performed well while being dragged around on the streets of Florence for some ways, the outside pocket lining has already come unstitched at the bottom on its maiden voyage, allowing small items to slip through (and causing a bit of trouble to retrieve). It was packed and unpacked exactly 2 times for this trip, and certainly not overstuffed because I dislike packing that way, and I had a checked bag anyway for most of my stuff. I bought a Briggs and Riley because it had a reputation for quality. I am now going to have to send it back for repairs -- while B&R has a lifetime warranty, I don't enjoy having to pack this up and send it to them so very, very soon. I would not recommend this bag for that reason. I have some Tumi and Travelpro luggage that have taken 20 years of beating and only now is the Travelpro losing some zipper tags. If their repair service is a hassle, I will update this review.
on May 30, 2013
I travel frequently and have watched with envy as travelers with spinner bags glide effortlessly through the airport. After committing to buy a new spinner bag I did a lot of research and came to the conclusion that this bag is worth every bit of the extra price compared to other cheaper models. The external handle and added interior, double wheels, tough material, lifetime warranty all justified the price for me. I have now used it on a dozen or more trips and it has made my traveling life so much easier. Long airport walks are now effortless, the added space with the external handle makes packing so much easier and it fits perfectly in overhead compartments. One of the best purchase decisions I have ever made.
on October 5, 2013
I am a frequent traveller, global. Got tired of my previous department store carry on for (1) broken zipper; (2) not a roller; and (3) more often than not was blocked as carryon in Europe. Spent a lot of time researching options, and settled on B&R. Very spacious and well-thought out design for its size. Was able to pack for 4 days in Europe, including running clothes/shoes, without difficulty. Very happy with choice. I like how it is a little wider and shorter than most other bags of this size--allows me to pack better and also fits well in overhead bin without having to turn sideways.

Recommend whole-heartedly for any seasoned traveller who has more than once dealt with the same frustrations I have listed above. The lifetime warranty (with the company itself and excellent track record on the same) is only icing on the cake.
on March 19, 2014
I travel pretty frequently, and I needed a bag that could handle my carry-on lifestyle.

I prefer not to check a bag most of the time, so my criteria for a bag were:

- Meet FAA carry-on guidelines
- Fit enough clothing + accessories for a guy like me to be gone for a week
- Easy to move across SLC at a fast clip without making me feel like I just ran a half-marathon carrying a sack of flour

PROS:
- The bag feels quality. The fabric and the zippers don't feel like they're going to give out, and all the seams are solid (based on my uneducated inspection)
- The pockets are built with some room in them, so it's easy to fit stuff like phone chargers, socks, or other small items in there without feeling like it's stretching the pockets
- The inside compartment has plenty of room to pack 5 days' worth of clothing, plus an extra pair of shoes and a small portable speaker that I like to bring with me
- The wheels are good quality and roll easily. No issues with the bag sticking or getting caught on bumps.
- The extendable handle is plenty long for a 5'11" person; I actually keep it at the next setting down from fully extended, so it would probably work for someone a few inches taller.
- The outside pocket between the handle on the back seemed silly when I first saw it. But then I went through security and wasn't stuck trying to get the contents of my pockets back in place — I just put my wallet and keys into that pocket and went about my business.
- No issues getting this into the overhead compartment on all but the small regional jets that make you gate-check EVERYTHING.

CONS:
- The only con I've found — and really this is more of a "maybe this could be an issue someday" than a con — is that the handle feels a little flimsy. Nothing has happened to actually affect the quality or durability of the handle, but when I extend it or lift it over a curb, it just feels like it wouldn't take a whole lot to bend or break it.

Overall, I love this bag. Definitely worth the little bit extra for someone who travels even a few times a year.
on April 16, 2013
I invested in this bag (in black) for a 12 day trip through China, and never had any trouble taking it as a carry-on through international or domestic flights. It's lightweight, easy to maneuver, and I love how the pull handle is out on the ouside of the bag because it opens up so much packing room. I was easily able to pack enough clothes for the trip in this bag, and not having to deal with the hassle of checked luggage was amazing during our travels.

Testimony to the incredible construction: while on a tour bus from the Shanghai Pudong airport to our hotel downtown, the luggage compartment flew open and my luggage was one of the pieces that went hurtling out of the bus and onto the expressway. This bag survived the ordeal with only a few scrapes on the handle portion, and some minor scuffs on the fabric exterior. Even though there was no serious damage, I'm still thankful for the lifetime warranty! I'll definitely be investing in more Briggs & Riley luggage in the future!
on March 2, 2014
Love my Briggs & Riley. I hesitated at first because of the price and opted for a Samsonite three piece set that was 1/2 the price or less. Before my first trip with the Samsonite, the zipper pull broke and I had trouble with the zipper. I gave up, returned it and bought this one instead. Light. Sturdy. Love the fact that it's wide and the design is such that I'm not tempted to overpack. I've fit five days worth of clothing (couple of suits/thick wool jackets) and at least one pair of shoes. I learned how to pack to maximize the space. Plus this has two compartments that I use for toiletries and such. Love it.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Perfect fit for rolling down the aisle of every airplane I have experienced! Pocket set up is optimal for efficient packing and pull up two pole handle works well. Couldn't be happier with this purchase!