Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Winter Sports on Amazon.com SnS

on September 26, 2009
I purchased this can because I trusted the name Briggs & Stratton. Wedco makes the spout and it does not work. I am 65 years old and have been using gas cans for over 50 years. This is the first can that will not allow me to get the gas out of the can through the spout. I have to unscrew the entire spout, take it off and then carefully pour the gas into my mower. I am looking for a flexible replacement spout that does not have any safety features. I am a CPA and MBA and have read the directions carefully. No gas comes out. This product is junk. Do not buy it.
It worked once, and then auto shut off, never to work again.
This product gets no stars.
1212 comments96 of 105 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 23, 2009
I find this difficult to use. You can't see into the tank to know when to stop, and gas flows very fast.
0Comment23 of 24 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 5, 2010
I have spent an hour trying to figure out how it works but failed. I hold a master's degree in mechanical engineering....
33 comments43 of 49 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 21, 2010
I am compelled to add my voice to underscore the negative reviews of this awful product. I guess the designers that got D's had to get a job somewhere, and this is one of the results of their labors. It is ironic that this product is advertised as "no spill" when the design actually encourages more spillage than an old fashioned gas can. The added bonus is that instead of spilling on the ground, you get to spill on your hand and the ground.

To be fair, it appears from shopping at my local home center that there are alternatives to this "design." Blitz has a workable model which employs a lever that allows your thumb to control the opening and shut-off of the outflow valve. There are other designs available at Amazon and elsewhere. Basically, for small equipment (lawnmowers, chainsaws) you want to be able to ease fuel into the tank with care. This design does not allow for that. Other cans allow for you to hold the can in one hand, and then regulate the flow of fuel with the other. Now that works fine.

My advice: avoid any gas can design that requires you to press the can against the tank in order to dispense fuel. Might work fine for a car, but for small equipment it is absolutely unworkable. And stupid. I'd give this product no stars if I could.
0Comment23 of 25 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 17, 2010
The title of this review says it all. I have an older Briggs and Stratton 2.5 gallon auto-shut-off gas can that cost about the same as this disaster, but it works just fine. It has the Briggs and Stratton name molded into the side of the can, whereas this new can merely has a paper label glued onto the can with a molded-on name of "Plastics Group". Don't buy this impostor.

This thing "cocks", then when pressed hard into your receiving tank begins to flow. If you let up on the pressure, the flow stops. But, the flow does not automatically stop when your receiving tank or receptacle is full, which is what I would call "auto-shut-off".

My older gas can automatically stops before overflowing.

The Amazon system required me to give this new can one-star, but that is not really deserved.
11 comment27 of 31 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 18, 2010
Briggs and Stratton reinvented the wheel with a square. There is nothing good I can say about this gas can and I cannot say enough bad things about this gas can. The spout is a piece of crap. It will take you 15 minutes to figure out how to get gas to come out, and when you do, it dispenses at a rate of about 1 gallon every 10 seconds (NO LIE!). This is great, except it leaks everywhere and dispenses most of it on your hand.

This seems like a great idea, BUT a regular gas can works perfectly fine. Save time, money, and frustration...DO NOT BUY THIS. I am thankful I bought this at a local retailer and I swiftly returned this gas can. This product is so worthless I felt obligated to post a review on Amazon.
on June 28, 2010
Thanks to all of you who reviewed this gas can. It seems that Briggs & Stratton is at fault for their incomplete usage instructions. The can comes with an extra cap that is fitted against the spout and is probably for safety purposes during transportation. THIS EXTRA CAP MUST BE REMOVED BEFORE THE SPOUT WILL FUNCTION PROPERLY. This is me talking, but I believe it to be true. Nowhere does Briggs & Stratton say a word about removing this cap, but the spout cannot function with it in place. What to do with it when you're using the can to dispense gasoline so it doesn't get lost or whatever is another issue. The can and spout seem to work.......takes two hands to engage the valve release, but then the gas comes out at a fairly good rate. (You don't have to keep holding the valve control.) My one star review is for a product that works but has the poorest directions for use I can imagine.
0Comment13 of 16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 24, 2010
I am not sure if I dont know how to use it or if the system is complicated. Didnt have a very good experience using this.
on September 25, 2009
I really don't know why I bought the can. There is nothing wrong with the can, it's the spout you're paying for. For what I paid for it I could have bought two five gal. cans. I don't need the high priced spout. I will make sure that I go for a five gal. next time with a cheap spout. D.L.G.
0Comment12 of 15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 6, 2011
The can is fantastic and makes a great piss jug, but the Rube Goldberg-like spout kills any utility. It's even confusing in their own video since there are several jump cuts during the spout's demonstration. And there's another big problem: by keeping the vapors in the can, the can swells and bulges, especially in hot temperatures -- there's a simple reason why gas needs to be vented. The opening is a universal size, so you can switch out a functioning cap and spout from your old can if you like.

See 1 answered question