Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Briggs & Stratton Oil Drain Valve 5401K
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Eli Paperboy Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Size: 3/8" x 18 NPTF|Change

on May 5, 2013
I have a John Deere D140 lawn tractor. The OEM oil drain valve empties the oil short of the engine frame which can create a big mess when changing the oil. I tried a form-able funnel as well, but that was difficult to get into position and stay there.

This product installs very easy. Just unthread the current oil drain rigid tube from the engine block and thread this one in. It might be a bit tight to get a wrench in there, but you should be able to tighten 1/8 of a turn at a time.

I'm looking forward to using this on future oil changes to avoid the mess! Highly recommended for anyone with a Briggs engine.
on November 21, 2011
I got tired of spilling motor oil all over my garage floor because I either couldn't get to the oil drain, or couldn't get a funnel to reach the drain. This thing works great and made changing the oil much easier, and cleaner. A lot more environmentally friendly too.
on January 3, 2012
Products like this just get me going. They are very simple but absolutely make your life easier. Replace your drain plug on your mower with this valve and when its time to change the oil its not a messy dreadful event anymore. Awesome product!
on January 6, 2016
This attached to my generator's engine without trouble (after draining the oil that was already in it) and has already made one oil change almost painless. Before, the engine just disgorged itself of oil all over the place -- on the frame, engine mounts, ground. I even had a large oil collection device and tried various funnels and so on, but could never get better than 'most' of the oil to drain where I wanted it.

With this in place, I open the cap, attach the hose and put the end of the hose in my collection device, open the valve and leave it a while. No big cleanup; no roll of paper towels soaked with oil and still remnants everywhere; I don't even get my hands that dirty. Close the valve, remove the hose (let it drain into the oil collection device), close the cap, put new oil in the engine, and it's ready to go.

I wish I had installed something like this before I ever set up the engine in the first place.
on July 16, 2015
Unit broke about 10 minutes after install. The end piece where the yellow cap snaps on fell right off, and dropped all of the engine oil out into my lawn. Still don't understand why these small engines are designed to pour oil all over the place when you change the oil!
on May 9, 2016
Update - I used my mower three times since the review below. Today something must have kicked up from the mower or a branch might have hit the side of the mower and the plastic valve broke. Fortunately it started to spit hot oil on my leg which alerted me to the problem but unfortunately not until I had driven down the walk from my front steps and dropped oil all over the walkway. I turned the mower off immediately and let it finish dumping the last of the oil on my front lawn. I guess I will go to the hardware store and get a piece of pipe instead. I should have never trusted such an important thing to a piece of plastic.

I spilled oil all over my garage floor for the last time yesterday. The Briggs & Stratton Oil Drain Valve 5401K came last week and I changed the oil in my MTD lawn mower yesterday. Oil went everywhere and then i tried to fit this in the drain hole. I found that the steering arm was in the way and there was not enough clearance. I took the arm off and reversed it and then there was just enough clearance. The mower turns just like before. I mowed my lawn and everything seems fine. I will change the oil more frequently now that I know I am not going to get oil all over everything.
on August 2, 2015
Awesome. Would like to know from others how long that valve piece stays in good shape (lives). What's the best is you can see exactly what shape the oil is in. I was given a B&S rider that sat for THREE years. I rebuilt the carb and all new filters, etc. I changed the oil, mowed the yard and changed it again. The look of that oil was beyond belief. At least for me it was. I'm a car guy, not small engines. I just wish it could be magnetic...all cars have had magnetic plugs.
VINE VOICEon July 18, 2012
The original valve on my Cub Cadet was a slightly different design, and a pain to get open in the location it was placed. So I managed to bust one of the side clips off that holds it closed, making me not trust it. This looked like it would fit so I took a chance. It's the newer design that even Cub Cadet is using now - a quarter-turn instead of the friction clips. Seems much more secure when closed. I installed it with a 3/8" nipple so it sticks out from the engine housing some.
on March 6, 2016
This unit facilitates neat / clean and easy oil changes. Your engine life depends largely on consistently maintaining oil quality. Without a clean and easy way to change the oil, the "dread" factor causes many people to skip oil changes, ultimately resulting in premature engine failure. Note: The oil release assembly /plastic valve part of the unit I received is a bit fragile; but, with normal caution, it should be quite adequate. Additionally, I'm not sure that it allows all of the old oil to drain. You may need to tilt your engine in order to drain the oil more completely.
on April 19, 2016
Makes changing oil in Briggs so much easier. My motor was cracked where the oil plug threaded in (over tightening) and always leaked. Repaired it with some JB Weld and used this drain valve so I wouldn't have to disturb the threaded part again by removing plug to change oil. This all did the trick.