5.0 out of 5 stars Functional but unsure about build quality

Published on June 1, 2010 by Richard MacAleese

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay perhaps - Updated 8/4/11
Published on June 11, 2011 by RH

5.0 out of 5 stars Functional but unsure about build quality, June 1, 2010
This review is from: (6 Pack) AA / AAA Bright Orange 4 Cell Battery Case with Charge Reminder Markings (Health and Beauty)
Original review, June 1, 2010:

I bought a five-pack of these for tucking away AA and AAA batteries in my camera case. There really isn't much to say about them. They work well enough and are constructed of what seems to be good quality plastic. My only complaint is that the latching mechanism isn't much of a mechanism at all. It's just a little eyelet that bends down to slide over a small tab. This securely locks the container, but the construction of the eyelets and the tabs themselves concerns me. They're fairly thin, and I worry that with constant opening and closing, the bending back and forth of the eyelet could cause it to break off. A more modern clicking clasp would have been more appropriate I think--or a reduction in price. These look like they should cost about $0.25 each. I can't knock either the seller or the product for that, though, as there really aren't any other cheaper options than these.

Overall it's a good product that could be better (or cheaper).

Update March 30, 2011:

It's been almost a year, and these little guys are still going strong. I've upped the rating to five stars. The locking tabs are still pretty flimsy, but they've shown no signs of degradation beyond their original flimsiness. Of course, they still can't take much abuse. If you step on one, it's toast. But for regular use, these things are pretty brilliant. I've been using them in my camera bag, where they fit perfectly into any pocket or compartment. And since these things are so cheap, even though it's only been a year, I'd definitely say I'm at the point of having gotten my money's worth.

Also, I wanted to point out a little trick I've learned. I use these to help manage dead and charged batteries without using any special inserts or anything. I do this by using the little markers on the underside of the case. When a battery is charged, I insert it in the proper orientation, so the positive end of the battery faces the same direction as the positive end of the symbol. When a battery is dead, I reverse it. This makes it very easy to identify which batteries in my bag need to be charged.

I'm definitely happy with this purchase. I will be buying more for use around the house.

Update October 27, 2014:

Yep, 4 years later and these cases are still going strong. I have to admit I don't use them nearly as much now as I did a few years ago, but still, not a single one of mine has broken. Considering I own about fifteen of these things, I think it's safe for me to call them a good buy.

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay perhaps - Updated 8/4/11, June 11, 2011
I decided to switch a number of my applications from normal AA & AAA alkaline "disposable" batteries to the newer Eneloop LSD (Low Self Discharge) rechargeable batteries. When traveling with my camera, for instance, it would be good to have an easy way of telling which cells are fully charged and which are depleted and need charging. I saw these cases and thought "wow, a ready-made solution", so I ordered a 5 pack. Shipping was fast and I got them in a few days. I like the fact that the price is a little high and includes shipping instead of what most vendors do: sell for a cheaper price and then charge an outrageous shipping fee - often more than the cases themselves.

When I received them, I loaded my charged batteries in them. They worked great. The clasps, which didn't seem that good, actually worked well (I cut off the round "tongue" with the hole for hanging in a retail display). They hold 4 AA batteries or 4 AAA batteries but not in combination, i.e., they will not hold 2 AA and 2AAA batteries. I thought that was a clever design so I ordered another set.

On the way to put the loaded cases on my battery shelf, I dropped one my garage floor, the case sprung open and the batteries spilled out. I found that the piece of the locking latch with the rectangular hole had broken off. I now only have 4 working cases and this confirmed my earlier suspicion that these are made from the wrong plastic material. It's too brittle and I expect more failures (without dropping them). These should be made from something like polyethylene (I think) like most other small free battery cases that come with many battery sets and/or cameras.

Then I read another review on these cases and someone commented that these cases are thicker than they should be because there are other cases that are only as thick as the AA batteries and hold the AAA batteries (without rattling around) crosswise between the AA dividers. My freebie AA case that came with my camera won't do that but I got to thinking that's true. So now I'll have 9 of these orange cases with the possibility of them all breaking because of the plastic they're made from and will probably look for the thinner cases...

And on further reflection, why is it so cool to have a case that can hold either AA or AAA batteries (but not in combination)? I have a known quantity of AA batteries and a known quantity of AAA batteries - why not just have as many (dedicated) cases for each? I guess if I was going on the cheap, I could have fewer cases and load them with the ones I need at the time...

Okay, in summary, 3 stars for being a brittle plastic and being thicker than necessary.

Updated 8/4/11 - To the seller's credit, within a few days of posting this review, I received 3 new battery cases at no charge along with a nice note from the seller - apparently because of the one I dropped and broke. Quick and courteous action on their part! Chalk up one for great customer service; they apparently read the reviews and take them seriously. Unfortunately upon opening the envelope they were sent in, the side of one of of the cases was broken off and lying loose in the envelope. Like I said earlier, wrong (brittle) plastic.

1.0 out of 5 stars They don't last long, April 15, 2011
I really liked these cases for about 2 months. Then they started cracking. Half of the cases I purchased at the end of January have cracks now in the middle of April. They have not gotten much use either. They have mainly been sitting in my camera bag with each being opened less than 5 times.

5.0 out of 5 stars Battery holder that holds batteries!, August 30, 2010
Nate Stevens (Mansfield, Texas) - See all my reviews
Like many folks, I have an ever growing collection of LSD batteries (Eneloop's) and high output batteries (Yuasa 4-Pack of AA Ni-MH Rechargeable Batteries (2700mAh) and Powerex AA 2700mAh NiMH Rechargeable Batteries w/holder- 4 Batteries Per Pack) that are used for everything from Wii and TV remotes, to camera flashes, flashlights and pumps like the Medela Pump in Style Advanced Breast Pump with Shoulder Bag, so I am constantly charging batteries. These little cases are great, this way I can keep my charged batteries stored ready for their next use. The AA's fit perfectly and the little locking tab (not overly clear in the pictures here) does a great job keeping the batteries in the case when they are bouncing around in bags. Great product, I can recommend if you're looking to keep things a little more organized.

4.0 out of 5 stars Quick and simple, April 23, 2010
These are not as thin of plastic as I was thinking they would be. They neatly stack up in my camera case, and like a prior poster I also cut off the "hanging loop". I intend to order more. A simple solution to one of my pet peeves.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice little cases for your batteries, March 22, 2010
I like the ability to store AA's or AAA's in the same case, with dividers for both sizes, so they don't move around if you have 1-3 batteries in the case. I did not remove the extra hanging tab, just slide it through, and use it as extra plastic to keep the closure secure. Nice for keeping the batteries from shorting out and rolling around loose in your bag.

4.0 out of 5 stars The very definition of cheap, March 18, 2010
Nick (Midwest, USA) - See all my reviews
These are probably the kind of trinket given away at trade shows. Fortunately, they're great! The clasp may not hold up, but time will tell. I haven't seen a similarly compact alternative yet.

4.0 out of 5 stars A tad on the flimsy, but does the job, October 4, 2010
AndyS (Grosse Pointe, Michigan United States) - See all my reviews
I was a little nervous when I saw the material of these cases. However, they have held up now for 8 weddings, and they still hold strong.

I did cut the little loop off of the tab so it was easier to clasp. Overall I think these are fine for my purposes. No more eneloops rolling rampantly around the pockets of the rolling gear bag.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for storage, October 3, 2010
I got these to carry extra batteries for my flash. They work great, and small enough to carry 3 full sets of charged batteries. I cut off the little rings used for displaying them, and I find they work even better when storing in my backbpack. Great product Bugeyedigital, I'll be ordering more soon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very clever little items., July 14, 2010
Smart and simple. 4 AA or 4 AAA batteries fit nice and snug, depending on which set of grooves you use. Perfect solution for batteries rolling around.Also very pleased with the speed of shipping - the shipment went out the day I ordered and got here in record time.