5.0 out of 5 stars Better than the rest!
Published on January 21, 2012 by missbonedoc

3.0 out of 5 stars Good WITHOUT batteries
Published on March 14, 2012 by Kathleen

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than the rest!, January 21, 2012
This review is from: Bright Starts Having a Ball Get Rollin Activity Table (Baby Product)
My 9 month old has had this table for 2 months so far.. and I'm embarrassed to say that she plays with it for hours a day, though not all at one sitting. I researched the Fisher Price and V-Tech version of similar tables (and watched my daughter play with them at friends' houses) - this one is so much better! It seems like there are more activities than the others. We started without the legs, added them a month ago. She loves it both ways, and we'll probably take the legs off again soon just to change things up.

As another reviewer mentioned, the functionality switches between "play" and "learn" mode by flipping the page of the book. There are so many melodies (English and Spanish too) that even after hearing it daily, my husband and I still think we're hearing new songs. We don't find them annoying at all. Actually, to correct the other reviewer, the "red triangle", "blue circle", etc audio corresponds to the buttons of the caterpillar that are the corresponding color and have that shape on them. It's pretty obvious if you sit down and play with your child.

The alligator mouth covers a compartment that is great for hiding the balls or puffs/Cheerios. My little girl loves to find things there. She even knows the sound associated with the alligator door and comes crawling to look for food if she hears it. One of the smartest things that Bright Starts did was to make the 1,2,3 buttons so that they click and pop out. It's hard to describe, but it's different than just pushing a button - the child gets feedback and it's easier to operate. Initially, my baby couldn't figure out how to push buttons on any of her toys. These were easier for her to manipulate and seemed to help her figure out the "cause and effect" of the other buttons.

Of course, the ball slide is a huge part that sets this table apart from the others. We have so much fun watching her try to stop the balls from falling into the hole and then chasing them around after the come out of the leg. The balls are the perfect size for little hands, too. It comes with six - 2 each of red, yellow and blue.

The toy will automatically play a random tune about 30 seconds after the last button/activity was activated. At first we thought it was broken. We were wrong - it's actually genius. I cannot count how many times my kid has gotten fussy or wandered away from the toy and been drawn back by that reminder song. Just so you know, it's on purpose! We honestly thought it was haunted the first few nights when it would play songs after we had cleaned up even though no one was playing with it.

At 9 months, she has not yet mastered the yellow spinner or the gear-like activity. She also doesn't reliably let the balls go down the slide on purpose. Due to this, I foresee her playing with this for at least another year if not longer. It's really been a lifesaver since she became mobile and hated being constrained by her jumper. I will say that I got this around the holidays for around twenty-four bucks. I think the Amazon price is a little high because, according to the packaging, this model is made just for Toys R Us. You should be able to find it for significantly less there.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good WITHOUT batteries, March 14, 2012
this toy is great for physical development. my 7 month old loves to practice pulling himself to standing on it. It also has nice features for developing fine motor skills. It's definitely a hit at our house, as my son will crawl from a different spot in the room just to get to it and play with it. HOWEVER....the lights and sounds are WAY too much. It's the busiest, overstimulating toy I've yet to come across. Anytime you practically breathe on something the light pattern and music changes, even when it was already in the middle of a song. It will also light up and play music on its own if enough time has elapsed without any activity. I don't see how this would teach cause and effect to an infant, just confusion! We have other toys that light up and play music (fisher price crawl along snail, lamaze chime garden) and like those fine, but this toy is over the top. We keep the toy in off mode and like it much better that way. I wish the on mode was better suited for our little ones.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better Than All The Rest, December 14, 2011
There are quite a few of these sit-to-stand activity tables on the market and I've had the opportunity to see the other brands that my friends own. I ultimately chose this one because it had an extra element of fun. While the little light up, noise-making, turny toys on the top (similar to all the others models) are interesting for a few minutes, the real fun comes with the ball drop. It works likes a billiards table. You first drop or roll the ball down through the center hole (creating fun noises in the process). The ball then ends up dropping down one of the four legs of the table. This is by far my 1 year old son's favorite part of this toy. I'm not sure how long he would remain interested had this feature not been included. The only problem I have encountered is that occasionally the ball gets 'stuck' inside. It's an easy fix (throw something else in after it) and my son doesn't even seem to notice. His second favorite thing would be opening and closing the alligator's mouth and hiding the balls inside. He loves to open and close things. As the prior reviewer stated, it is a nice feature that you can switch from English to Spanish. I am really happy that we decided to get this one!

5.0 out of 5 stars My 11 month old loves it, December 6, 2011
My mother gave this toy as a gift for my son when he was 10 months old. It's become his favorite toy. He loves to walk around it and spends a lot of time dropping the ball in the middle and looking for where the ball comes out. Ir definitely encourages him to stand and cruise and I really like that it has Spanish and English options for the sound and music. GREAT toy, I don't know what we'd do without it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Baby plays with it. It is 360 degrees of ADD inducing fun. It makes mommy want to throw herself out the window., October 19, 2012
M.A.W (Anchorage, Alaska) - See all my reviews
It's fine, it works, it isn't unsafe. I used it without the legs for a bit...it tends to tip if baby pulls on it too much when pulling themselves up.

It's super busy with lots of lights, noises, etc. it seems a bit possessed as it goes off for no reason. I don't think this is an effective toy to teach 'cause and effect' as it claims...if you look at it funny, it makes a new noise . I can only imagine a kid just likes the lights and sounds more than figuring out, " hey! If I push that button, I hear this song."

Speaking of noises and sounds...let's talk about the noises and sounds on this thing. Holy crap, it's hands down the single most annoying toy in my house! I cannot emphasize this enough. The singing voice used pushes me into a homocidal rage. I even turned it on to the Spanish setting hoping that would help. It didn't.

My son doesn't seem interested in it if it isn't blinking and stabbing my brain with the 10,000th rendition of 'ten little fishies' that I've heard that day.

Oh, also, the sticker came off the book within the first day or two that we used it.

So, it gets 3 stars because, while my son doesn't LOVE it, he does enjoy it but I take two stars away because it makes mommy want to throw herself out the window. :)

I would say listen to it before you purchase it and decide if it is something that will drive you insane.

2.0 out of 5 stars Great entertainment for cruising baby **Broke after 2.5 months!**, January 5, 2013
My 7-month-old received this as a gift and we both love it. It's sturdy enough for her to pull herself up on easily and it's the perfect height for standing and playing. She's not too interested in rolling the balls yet but she loves all of the songs, lights, and buttons. We've had it for two weeks and so far the sounds haven't driven me totally crazy, probably because there's so many of them so it doesn't get too repetitive. The "Circle, triangle, diamond, square - they all make a happy pair" song does irritate me a bit every time I hear it since four items do not, in fact, make a pair, but other than that most of the songs are pretty tolerable.

In any case, this toy is currently the only way I can get anything done while my daughter is awake, so it's a winner in my book. I'd imagine that as she gets older the educational aspects of it will be helpful too. It has pretty much all of your preschool bases covered: colors, shapes, the alphabet, etc. Heck, it even has them in Spanish. I can't recommend this table highly enough!

UPDATE 1: I have to remove a star after an incident today. My daughter got the tip of her finger caught between the page of the "book" and the yellow light-up button as she was using that hand to steady herself while trying to sit down on the floor. Thankfully I was right there and got her unstuck quickly but she still really smushed her finger and was clearly in a lot of pain. I definitely wouldn't let a baby play with this unsupervised!

UPDATE 2: After 2.5 months of use, the electronics have gone haywire. It started having occasional audio glitches about a month ago and it's gotten progressively worse until today the thing stopped working altogether. Now when I turn it on it just makes a buzzing sound and none of the buttons do anything. This is a real bummer, my daughter loves the sounds and lights and I thought she would get a lot more use out of it :(

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun item, November 30, 2013
Great deal when I biught it. Shipping was awesome and on time. Batteries were dead when I got it opened for my childs B-Day. Replaced and worked good. Spanish and english setting. Either a button has gotten stuck or something is wrong with the item, it quit making sounds after 3 days. I'll try and replace batteries again and make sure nothing is stuck anywhere before contacting the seller.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great table for a wide range of ages!, December 31, 2012
We got this for my daughter's Christmas gift this year; she was just shy of 11 months old and has been walking for a while, so we wanted to get her a toy she could play with while standing. Despite the ball activity in the center taking up lots of space, it has just as many doodads to play with as other activity tables. She hasn't quite figured out how to use the balls in their little chute- she grabs them out before they fall into the center and throws them around. But they're lightweight and so long as she's having fun, that was the point of the gift!
There are so many songs and tunes with the various activities that there are only a few that have worn out their welcome so far. There are activities that spin or rotate, buttons for music or other sounds, a book with a plastic page to flip (she loves turning pages on her board books so this feature is a treat to her), and an alligator head she can open and close (to three different pairs of sound effects, so it doesn't get old quickly). I like to hide cheese crackers or cheerios in there for her.
I was tempted to take one star off for incorrect information in a song- "Circle, triangle, diamond, square, they all make a happy pair"- no they don't. Four items do not make a pair. But I can't do it. We just love this table too much. No opinion on the Spanish language setting because I don't speak Spanish.

1.0 out of 5 stars poor quality, April 17, 2014
I bought it for my 8 months old son and I definitely would not buy it again. The stickers started falling off after one week. The crocodile mouth is a potential danger for babies fingers as they get stuck easily which really hurts. We ended up taping the crocodile mouth so it won't open.

4.0 out of 5 stars Tasty stickers for a one year old, July 27, 2014
My 13 month old loves this toy. My only complaint is that the stickers are easy to remove. He has slowly started to remove the stickers from the toy and eat them.