5.0 out of 5 stars Impressive Small Wireless Receiver
Published 10 months ago by Dr. Bojan Tunguz

2.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't automatically re-pair after a power cycle
After this receiver is unplugged or loses power, it won't automatically re-pair. You have to "forget" the receiver in your device's Bluetooth settings then re-pair it. I'm using this in my car, so every time I restart it, I have to forget and re-pair this receiver on my phone.
Published 2 months ago by Roger Maxwell

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressive Small Wireless Receiver, February 27, 2014
This review is from: Brightech - BrightPlay Live™ - NFC Enabled HiFi Bluetooth 4.0 Audio Receiver / Adapter - Bring Your Old Stereo Systems and Speakers Back to Life - Fast and Simple Upgrade - Frustration Free Eco Packaging (Electronics)
There are plenty of Bluetooth speakers and stereos out there, but if you happen to own a “legacy” stereo that is still performing really well acoustically, then you are out of luck when it comes to streaming audio from your favorite portable media device to it. This is where this Brightech BrightPlay Bluetooth music receiver comes in. It is small, portable, and it works with either RCA or 3.5 mm jack. I was able to pair up my iPhone pretty quickly. I don’t own any NFC-enabled devices, so I was not able to test how well this feature works. Once paired, I was able to stream my music easily. The sound quality was pretty impressive - I think that the Bluetooth standard has come a long way since its early iterations. A dedicated audio wireless network will still give you the best results, but for most practical purposes Bluetooth works rather fine.

The theoretical range for this receiver is about 30 feet, but in most practical situations you may max out at about 20 or so. For listening to the music streaming from your smartphone in the same room this is more than fine.

The receiver comes with a power supply which is small enough to be inconspicuously tucked away at the wall outlet. There are no on/off buttons, so you'll have to manually unplug the receiver if you want to turn it off. The receiver has a small blue LED light which indicates that the power is on. The light is pretty dim and for the most part it is not very intrusive. However, you might want to unplug the receiver if it's located in your bedroom - at night even the small amount of light can be pretty distracting.

Overall, this is a pretty neat device that serves its purpose rather well.

2.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't automatically re-pair after a power cycle, October 10, 2014
Roger Maxwell (Clarksville City, Texas) - See all my reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Not perfect, but good, October 9, 2014
Easy set up. My iPhone, then iPad found it quickly. I was a little disappointed that I have to be sure to drop it from one device before the other device can find it. With my husband and I both having iPads and iPhones, it is a pain to track down the other person's device and disconnect it. That's why I only gave 4 stars.

The quality of the streaming when I'm sitting in our living room, where the good speakers are, is excellent. I don't know how good the range is, but I got it for that good stereo system so I'm not interested in moving away from the stereo system to try the range.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great bluetooth adapter with a long power cord for optimal placement!, August 2, 2014
The Brightech Brightplay Live Bluetooth Audio Receiver with NFC is a great product that is aimed at making your existing speakers wireless. In this review, I will highlight my experience with it.

In the box, you get the bluetooth receiver itself, which is very small and has a sleek black look. The power adapter is also included, which has a 6 ft cable. Also included is an auxiliary audio cable and composite AV splitter. Of course, you can use another audio cable, like an existing one which you probably have with your set of speakers.

I like that Brightech included a very long power adapter cable - 6 feet is plenty to allow you to place the receiver itself in a location where you get optimal bluetooth reception.

Pairing was very easy. There is no button on the device to pair; simply plug in the device, and the LED light will flash once to show it is ready for pairing. I quickly found the “Music Receiver” listing in my Bluetooth devices listing on my iPhone, and was paired in seconds.

NFC worked quite well when tested with a Galaxy S5. I simply tapped my device on the top of the receiver, and I was instantly paired.

Sound quality was excellent from this adapter when connecting to my devices with bluetooth 4.0. While I could notice a difference between a direct wired connection, it was so minimal that it really didn’t matter to me. Range was decent - I got about 25 feet away from the adapter before it started cutting out. This is 5 feet less than what Brightech advertises as the maximum.

This adapter has its pros and cons from one of Brightech’s other offerings, which is the Brightplay Home HD Bluetooth Audio Receiver. On the one hand, this has NFC, whereas the Brightplay Home HD does not. Also, the fact that this adapter has a separate power cable means that you can place it some location to get better reception; you are not tied to a power outlet location, which is often low to the ground, which means worse reception. The tradeoff with this is that it’s not as minimal as the Brightplay Home HD, which has an integrated wall plug in the receiver itself. I hope this information helps your decision with which adapter to buy if you are deciding between the two.

Overall, I’m very pleased with the Brightech Brightplay Live Bluetooth Audio Receiver with NFC, and I highly recommend it to anyone who is looking to upgrade an existing set of speakers to bluetooth wireless!

I was provided with this item as a sample in exchange for my fair and honest evaluation. If you have any questions, feel free to comment below or contact me in my profile.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great small wireless receiver!, August 23, 2014
Jeet (Chicago, Illinois) - See all my reviews
I have had the Brightech Brightplay Live Bluetooth music receiver for a couple days now and it has been excellent so far. I will highlight my overall experience with it so far.

The one gripe I have about Bluetooth speakers is that the sound is a little lacking (unless you’re spending 200+ on the Bose Soundlink etc). I have a very nice iPod dock with the Logitech s715i. This system sounds amazing but the one thing it lacks is the Bluetooth enabled feature. After getting the Brightplay Live, I was able to convert this awesome sounding iPod dock into a Bluetooth enabled device. So this is a great product which helps making your existing speakers Bluetooth compatible.

Out of the box, you will find the Bluetooth receiver itself, an AC power adaptor, and a 6 feet long AUX cable to connect the receiver to the speaker, and finally you have a female to audio R/L cable.

The design of this little guy is very cool looking. It is very small and has a sleek black finish to it. I also like the length of the cables. The length allows me to hide the receiver where it cannot be seen yet allows me to connect my Bluetooth devices to the speaker. I have tested the distance to be about 30 feet to where it starts to lose connectivity which is fine considering that I normally place the speaker close to my device anyways.

Pairing was exceptionally easy with this device. It literally is plug and play. Once you plug in the receiver into a wall outlet and into your speaker system, you will see one blue flash on the device telling you it is ready to pair. On your device, after you scan, you will find “Music Receiver” and you simply pair and you are all set. Once you pair it will recognize your device forever! This device is also NFC capable and that was also really easy to use. All I did was tap NFC on my Galaxy S4 and it was instantly paired.
The quality of sound coming from my speaker was just as good as when I connected my iPod to the dock through the 30 pin connector. There was absolutely no difference at all. The connectors are all very tight with no wiggle so you know that you are getting optimum connectivity.

I cannot compare this receiever with the other one Brighttech offers (The Brightplay Home HD) but I can tell you that this is a great little device. The one drawback it has is that there are a lot of wires which may add clutter to your already cluttered speaker system. This would be the one con about having such long cables. If they were shorter you would be able to keep everything nice and neat.

However, with that being said, it does its job exactly as advertised. If you have a really nice system which is not Bluetooth compatible, I would highly recommend this device! Because I am so impressed with it, I give it a 5 star rating!

I was given this item as a sample in exchange for my fair and honest evaluation. In no way was I forced to give a positive review of this product and I stand by everything written in this review. If you have any questions about this product feel free to ask me and I would be more than happy to answer them to the best of my ability.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works. Audio quality not special, but good enough, December 23, 2014
On my Windows 7 laptop, I needed to install a bluetooth radio and get it paired with this device. As others have noted, you'll probably have to install a special bluetooth driver to get it to work; the default drives from Microsoft will not do music over bluetooth. It's a minor hassle, but none of that is Brightech's fault. Once everything is installed and paired and you've selected the device for sound output, it works fine, with the following caveats:

1. Range is limited to 25', line of sight. More than that and the stuttering started. If you need the 30'+ that bluetooth generally provides, it's not found here.

2. As noted, this device pairs with one other device and that's it. To change the source, you have to power it off. For my purposes that's fine; for some other situations it would rapidly become a hassle.

3. Audio quality isn't terrible, but audiophiles are going to wince a little.The bass in particular seems sloppy. For the most part I'm using this to get internet podcasts and movies to my home theater, and the source material is rarely recorded with fanatical accuracy anyway, so for my purposes the sound is fine. Just don't expect the world. As a way to liberate youtube videos and podcasts from tiny laptop speakers it's a very decent solution.

4. The signal it outputs is a little weaker than I would like; in other words, you may need to turn the volume up on your stereo a bit more than you expect (and the PC volume needs to be set to max). It's... adequate, but adequate plus 15% would have been nice here.

I have two of these; one for an upstairs stereo and my wife's laptop, one for a downstairs stereo laptop and my own laptop. Installation, range and performance seem pretty much identical, so they seem to have their quality control down.

When paired, it shines a steady blue LED (it blinks when not paired). It's not excessively bright (an important consideration for a home theater) but there's no off switch for it; have your black electrical tape ready if you don't plan to hide the device behind something.

For 5 stars it would need cleaner audio, the standard 30' range, and cost less than the $27 I paid.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inexpensive way to add iPod, etc., input to your receiver via Bluetooth, July 31, 2014
I was lucky enough to try out several different Bluetooth receivers in the past couple of weeks. I pair them to my iPod Nano 7th Gen and Droid cell phone. All the receivers have several things in common, regardless of make or model: Bluetooth has a range of about 18 feet line of sight, pairing is quick and easy, stereo RCA output jacks, and they are powered by 110v. Some have additional features (internal battery, audio status tones, size, etc.) Some mount to the outlet, others sit on the counter. You really need to compare the features to find the ideal one for your needs.

The Brightech - BrightPlay Live is compact, about the size of one of those small laptop. On the rear of the unit is the 6V input (power adapter included) and a 1/8" female stereo port. A 40" 1/8" male to 1/8" male cable and a 26" cable that connects to the 1/8" cable are included. The RCA cable is a little unusual - it has a female 1/8" connector - most have a male. You have total length of just under 6 feet in cable.

Audio is great. No visible distortion. Once I left the room and had a couple of walls between my iPod and the receiver the signal broke up quickly. I'd say the quality is equivalent to FM radio.

What makes this unit stand out:
No buttons - is discoverable as soon as you plug it in.
NFC (near field communications) - most new smart devices support this. It's basically a different way to pair.
1/8" stereo audio jack
Small footprint - 2.5"x2.5"x1"

This unit is ideal if you want to tuck away the power supply and forget about it, and just have the receiver visible. With NFC, anyone can pair to the device with a simple tap. The LED indicates status, so you'll have another blinking light on your rack or cabinet. It does not have to be visible - you could place it inside a cabinet, but this could effect range.

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent home stereo receiver. The extra long cables were a nice surprise., February 22, 2014
Length:: 3:51 Mins

On this receiver, not only can I use Bluetooth to play music through my stereo, I can also use the FASTER pairing technology of NFC. I used to not even care about NFC, because I KNEW my Bluetooth worked. However, when I choose to use the NFC option, to pair my device to the music receiver, all I have to do is basically "touch" my phone to the receiver for a split second and it's connected. Now it wouldn't be a HUGE deal breaker if this didn't have NFC, but it is a nice option for me.

The second, thing that stands out, in this package, is the long length of the 3.5mm male to male cable. It measures in at close to 6 feet. That is MUCH larger than other receivers I've tested, which often times only throw in one at a couple feet, if you're lucky. With the extra length of this one, I can place the receiver pretty much anywhere within my system that I choose now.

A third bonus, is the female 3.5mm to audio RL cable. If I don't have a 3.5mm input on an older stereo or something, or my current one is being used, I can simply choose to attach the provided 3.5mm to audio RL, to the male to male 3.5mm, and then plug IT into the RL inputs on the back of my stereo's receiver.

For the above listed reasons, this is a good value when compared to others I've seen. The directions are easy to understand and they have a tutorial including images. This receiver works flawlessly, as long as you're within 30 feet or so of the receiver, and don't have a bunch of walls blocking your signal.

In the Video Review, I show some of the main features. I received a product sample for test & evaluation and agreed to provide a fair and honest review.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply perfect, September 30, 2014
PaulS (Parma, OH USA) - See all my reviews
Out of the box and performing flawlessly in less than a minute. Attached to a 22 year old high quality audio system and bluetooth connected to an iPhone 6. Clear sound and maintained connection throughout the house. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Wireless Receiver!, September 8, 2014
Long Trang (Richfield, MN) - See all my reviews
Contents:
*BrightPlay Live Receiver
*Aux Cable
*Audio input cable
*AC/DC Adapter
*User Manual

Instead of buying a pair of Bluetooth Speakers just buy this product and it will change the way you listen to music. Just plug in the red and white inputs into the receiver and connect the Aux cable to the end of it and connect the Aux cable to the BrightPlay Live and connect the power source and connect via NFC or Bluetooth to listen to music through your speakers. I have Bose Speakers hooked up in my room and by using this device I can get the best sound quality instead of buying a little Bluetooth Speaker.

The design of the Brightech Live is really small and compact and also really portable. The NFC circle on the top of the device is made of a glossy black finish while the other parts are just a matte black. The bottom of the device has 4 rubber stubs so it will prevent the device from sliding around. You can plug this in and leave it behind the receiver or bring it all the way up onto your desk. Include is a really long AUX cable so you can bring it up. I personally have this on my desk at all times and when I want to listen to music from my phone I just connect it via Bluetooth and listen to my music.I got about 20 Ft way from the device before the music got cut off.

Those who want to listen to music via Bluetooth and don't want to buy Bluetooth Speakers this is the product to go with. Also include is a 3 Year Warranty which is amazing! If anything goes wrong you will be covered by the warranty.

Any Comments?