Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Brighter Than Creation's Dark
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it The Pop Ups Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer angrybirds angrybirds angrybirds  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

Format: Audio CD|Change

Showing 1-3 of 3 reviews(3 star). Show all reviews
VINE VOICEon February 29, 2008
After half a dozen listens, I find that The Drive-by Truckers latest recording, "Brighter Than Creation's Dark," still sounds somewhat unfinished and a bit disjointed. Many tracks here have that signature DBT grit and dark energy, and the Mike Cooley tracks rise to the top on this disc, both for their pace and wit.

Some of Patterson Hood's contributions--and I know he is the leader of the band--hold their own with his earlier work, e.g., The Opening Act. But sometimes the tales and actions of those characters who inhabit the dark places in his mind push me away. For instance, the broken glass in your fingertips tone of You and Your Crystal Meth is haunting but not something I can say I'm drawn to want to hear over and over. Nor can I muster much love for Daddy Needs a Drink

I think the Shonna Tucker songs are certainly OK, if a bit tentative, and her somewhat hesitant voice betrays emotions not fully vented here. She and drummer Brad Morgan do make a whale of a rhythm section. Another plus if having Spooner Oldham in the mix on about three-fourths of songs, and the cagey keyboard vet never gets in the way and sounds as smooth as ever here.

But I have to say it: I miss Jason Isbell's contribution, both his songs and his guitars. Although John Neff knows his way around the music here, he does not seem to have permission to take over some of the songs the way Isbell could at times.

If the tone and energy here only matched that of Wes Freed's excellent artwork, than "Darker than Creation's Bright" would be the next great DBT recording instead of being a very good one. What's lacking, for me, is that sense of coherence that makes an album great. To quote Yeats, "Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold. . ."
44 comments| 25 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 26, 2009
Just my opinion, and I own every DBT offering to date, but this is not a stellar effort on their part. I don't miss Jason Isbell, his songs were never my favorites. That's not the problem. And, to me, it's not that they are "maturing" or trying new things. I believe the songwriting is just not there on many of the tracks. There are a number of very good songs here (Two Daughters, Three Dimes, Righteous Path, Man I Shot, Ghost), but not enough for me to rank this as one of their better offerings. See DBT live if possible, that's the best way to hear 'em anyway!
on April 16, 2008
Yet another very good CD by the Truckers....the band always feels like it's on the verge of brilliance, but just never quite crosses over....stuck in Drive trying to make that transition to overdrive. The production continues to be interesting for the Truckers, I still really don't feel they have met that perfect match, or really captured the band's 'live' feel. I recomend the new Vallejo or Poi Dog Pondering CD's as an interesting journey into the right mix of songs and just enough production to not lose that 'feel'