on September 28, 2011
I purchased a Farouk Deep Brilliance Ceramic flat iron from Amazon a few years ago and was absolutely blown away by the quality of the flat iron. My Farouk Deep Brilliance is still working perfectly but recently I felt that I needed a backup iron in case something happened to mine (I've dropped it a few times). I was thrilled when Farouk introduced the Chi Deep Brilliance Titanium iron at such a great price and I purchased it right away. I was concerned about the titanium plates (I've only used ceramic plates) but I actually contacted Farouk directly before I purchased the iron and they told me that this iron was the new and improved Farouk Deep Brilliance. The Deep Brilliance is a Farouk line made especially for ethnic hair (I'm African American).

Let's start with the pros:

1. This Chi Deep Brilliance heats up pretty quickly...in just under two minutes. I'm usually rushing in the morning and haven't found myself waiting around for this iron to get hot.
2. The digital display is a nice addition. You can clearly see when the iron is at your desired temperature and you can choose how hot you want the iron to get.
3. It has a swivel cord that allows you to flat iron your hair with ease.
4. It has an automatic shut off which is extremely helpful...I know that I've accidentally left my other iron on all day.

Now the cons:

1. My hair smells more burned than it did after flat ironing it with the ceramic plates. I don't know if that means that the temperature setting is too high but I don't love having my hair smell burned.
2. The design of the casing around the titanium plates is very square. I don't know if this is something that I'll get used to in time but it does affect the way my hair curls. My Farouk Deep Brilliance had sleek rounded edges and this iron is decidedly bulkier and squared. It gives more a bump closer to my root which is good for volume I suppose but my hair wasn't as sleek and straight as it was with my other iron.
3. My style doesn't seem to be lasting throughout the day. My hair looked pretty good this morning right after I'd flat ironed it but after a few hours my ends look frizzy and that has never happened to me before. When I take the time to flat iron my hair in the morning it normally holds up all day...even in the humidity.

All in all I would say that it's a pretty decent iron...I don't know that it's better than a regular Chi. The color is nice but the design is definitely flawed...I'm actually a little bit disappointed.
11 comment|158 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 28, 2012
This is product arrived promptly from "Quick E Mart", which is the Amazon seller for this product. I wasn't sure if it was real or fake, since I know there are plenty of fake Chi straighteners out there. There was nothing odd about the packaging and I thought it was real. It worked wonderfully for about a month of regular use, then all of a sudden it stopped working entirely! To add insult to injury, the warranty is void if not purchased from an authorized dealer (which "Quick E Mart" is not). I can't afford to keep buying this every month! My friends, who own authentic Chi straighteners, actually said "I didn't know a Chi could break! Sounds fake." Save your money and purchase a REAL Chi from an authorized dealer (check out the Chi product website for that info). I'm so annoyed by this and I wish I'd read all the negative reviews for spending my hard earned money on this piece of junk.
on February 1, 2013
I bought this about a year ago along with the matching blow dryer. They are nice colors but highly disappointed in the quality. The silver around the LED temp. is peeling off, and the edges around the plates are discolored almost a scorched look. Way to much money for a crappy product. I am defently second guessing the AUTHENTICITY of the product. My hair dresser has had hers for more then 3 years and it is in great shape. Please second guess buying this purchase from Folica.com or buy from a repitable dealer. I spend to much money on my hair and products for my hair to let it get ruined by poor products, and when you spend this kind of money it should last a long time like my solia that I have had for 3 yrs. I purchased this bec I wanted a 1 inch and since I also need something over 400 degrees figured this would be good since this is the same brand my stylist uses. UGH! It embarrasses me to show friends.
on May 27, 2012
The shipping was fast, and the flat iron works pretty well. It is however, not an authentic Chi. It has a Made in China label on the box, and according to Chi, all products are Made in America. Considering it works well, it may be worth the price. We have used it 3 times and so far so good.
on April 28, 2011
i'd wanted a chi for a long time, but it wasn't until recently that i finally decided to break down and buy one. this deep brilliance chi was the cheapest chi i could find online ANYWHERE (barring others with terrible reviews that i wouldn't even consider). i was pretty apprehensive about the "deep brilliance" aspect of it, because i thought it may be too powerful for my hair or just not the right make for it (my hair is thick, but only slightly wavy and not too terrible to manage), but, thank goodness, this chi turned out to be a perfect fit.

a super cheap and PURPLE chi - what more could a girl ask for :)
on June 18, 2012
Let me just say this is a waste of time! I doubt this is a real chi by the price and now by the quality. I have had my ``CHI`` for 3 months and it has completely stopped working! Let me just say this has never been dropped or near water. Before i bought this chi i was using a HAI and had it for over 5 years, and it still works. I just wanted to upgrade to a chi and this is the result i get. At least when you purchase a HAI you get a year warranty on it. But when you purchase anything from amazon you only get 30 days to return anything and it cant even be opened. SO basically i wasted my money on this product! The digital screen does not even work on it anymore and it doesnt heat up at all! It worked for three months then stops working! I am so mad by the lack of customer service on this website. I cant even find a seller email to contact them because it is confidential you have to go through amazon who really does not care whether you are happy with your order or not! I would say go to an actual salon and purchase a straightner this way you get what you pay for! If its to good to be true, it probably is!!

Chi Deep Brilliance Digital Titanium Hair Styling Flat Iron 1" Purple
on September 6, 2012
This iron is okay but not what I expected from the Chi brand. It smooths and straightens my hair without snagging it or breaking it off which are qualities I like in this iron. However, I have to use the hottest setting which has blistered my fingers a few times and it takes twice as long to straighten vs my old cheapo iron. My hair is not course or super thick but it is wavy. This iron works me to death! It was deeply discounted so I can't complain about the price but I expect better quality from Chi. My old iron, a Walmart cheapo did the job in half the time with half the heat, but it snagged and broke my hair off. I'm still looking for my "dream" flat iron.
on December 6, 2011
I bought this flat iron for my wife several months ago. It has a very nice design and worked perfectly for a few days.
Suddenly it stopped working in just about 5 uses. She never let it fall or anything.. It just wont turn on.
Very bad for a nice and good looking Chi flat iron.
on August 4, 2013
I've had this flat iron for about six months now and I am loving it. It works great, does the job great and my hair stays flat even the day after. I have long, thick hair and I was a little worried about getting a 1" inch flat iron thinking it would take forever, but I was pretty amazed at how fast and effective this flat iron works on my hair. I chose titanium over ceramic because (to me) titanium works just as good as ceramic and I don't think it burns my hair any more or any less than the ceramic flat irons I've had before.
I do wish the 'Automatic off' setting would work as soon as you turn on the flat iron, but I've just gotten used to setting the timer when I know I'm in a hurry and I may forget to turn it off. Happy customer, will never own anything other than a CHI. ;) <3
on April 25, 2012
I purchased my first Chi flat iron--the original Chi--about 5 years ago. I loved that flat iron and have to admit that I was heartbroken when I dropped it and it finally gave out on me. I straigten my hair most days (I have normal hair, mid-length, naturally a wavy curl, not thick or thin), so I immediately went on a mission to find a new Chi. I read the reviews of this iron and all seemed great, but I was concered about the plates being titanium, as I have always used ceramic. With the price, though, I decided to give it a try.

The flat iron is sleek (it does feel a little bit bigger in the hand, but nothing that I can't adjust to), and literally feels like glass when it runs through my hair. Perhaps it was that my original chi was getting older and worn, but I don't remember it ever feeling that smooth. The adjustable temperature is also nice, so if I don't want the high heat, I can set it to a lower temperature.

I am overall very satisfied with the product--and am, of course, thrilled to have straight hair again!