5.0 out of 5 stars Having Enough Blessings To Go Around
Published on January 29, 2009 by Priscilla C. Johnson

3.0 out of 5 stars Bring On The Sequel
A lovely little story about Bernadine - a woman who receives a great deal of money in a divorce settlement, who then decides to purchase a town that is being sold on ebay. The town and its few remaining inhabitants will, in turn, provide stability and a safe haven for some foster children who have been through some tough times.

This story was a pleasure to...
Published on June 18, 2010 by Ms. 90

5.0 out of 5 stars Having Enough Blessings To Go Around, January 29, 2009
This review is from: Bring on the Blessings (Paperback)
Beverly Jenkins, who is best known for her historical and contemporary romance novels, brings readers yet another story to fall in love with. Bring On The Blessings is the story of Bernadine E. Brown and the blessings she brought to Henry Adams, Kansas. The town was in desperate need of money and they had no clue how to raise the money. Trenton July, the Mayor, decided to put the town up for sale on eBay. After all, it was worth a try. Bernadine was blessed with money, good looks and smarts. She decided to put her money to good use and purchase the town.

When she arrived in Henry Adams, Bernadine was not prepared for the warm welcome she received. However, underneath the warm smiles and gestures, everyone wanted to know what she intended to do. First, she brought in contractors to restore and rebuild. After all, they could not let one of the country's oldest all-Black towns disappear. Second, she had to sell them on her idea of bringing in foster children to raise and love. Not just any foster children; there was an eight-year old pastor, an eleven-year old car theft, a fourteen-year old fly-girl, an overweight genius, and a ten-year old mute.

Beverly Jenkins has written a story like none I have ever read before. Bernadine was confident and determined to bring love to a group of unwanted children. She wanted to restore a piece of history. Like all of Jenkins novel, she revisits favorite characters from her historical novels, the July Family, and the history her fans crave. Jenkins brings a cast of new characters that are funny, loving and admirable. Even though it was not her typical romance novel, I dove into the novel and cheered and cried with each blessing that was brought to this town. She also left room for sequels, which I am sure her fans will surely want after reading this novel. Jenkins proved that there is more to her than just romance.

Reviewed by: Priscilla C. Johnson
APOOO BookClub

5.0 out of 5 stars What a blessing!, February 11, 2009
This review is from: Bring on the Blessings (Paperback)
Bring on the Blessings was such an enjoyable read. I could not put this book down. All of the characters were very likable...well except Cletus, Riley and the crooked banker. I found Bernadine to be a very strong, loving, yet no nonsense woman. Her dedication to breathing life into the small Kansas town, providing for its citizens and a group of foster children with some serious issues was heartwarming. I did not want this story to end. If your looking to be thoroughly entertained do not pass up your blessing...Bring on the Blessings is waiting for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars I Was Blown Away, March 5, 2009
This review is from: Bring on the Blessings (Paperback)
I'm a big fan of Beverly Jenkins books and I was taken back when I realize this wasn't like her other books. But this was better. I enjoy the book and I could hardly wait to get home and finish reading it. I'm sad that I finished the book but it was good and I just loved how funny it was with the judge falling and knocking himself out. I couldn't stop laughing. But to anyone who buys this book. It's good and you will enjoy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Community , Love , Family, January 29, 2009
This review is from: Bring on the Blessings (Paperback)
The premise of the book, is that Bernadine Brown caught her husband cheating, She is awarded 275 million in the divorce settlement. She has the philosophy that when much is given much is expected of you.

There is a black township of Henry Adams that was founded by freed slaves. The failing town has been put up for auction on e bay and Ms. Browns buys it.

What follows is a heartwarming narrative of what it takes to be a community and that the saying that it takes a village to raise a child is true.

It is Bernadine dream to give homes to some foster children and she chose this town to be the focal point.

The characters in the books have their foible's but as in real life they have a chance to be nurtured and grow.

I highly recommend this book. It even has a bit romance for us lovers of this genre.

3.0 out of 5 stars Bring On The Sequel, June 18, 2010
This review is from: Bring on the Blessings (Paperback)

This story was a pleasure to read. Some of the passages literally had me in tears. I was a little disappointed with the ending and the episode with Riley and Cletus was a bit far-fetched. This was just enough to whet my appetite and hope for a sequel. Get it from the library.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good read, not overly religious, August 26, 2011
I was worried when I purchased this (freebie) book that I would feel preached at while reading. I tend to like the authors that are labeled "Christian" not because of their religious content, but because of the lack of swearing and graphic sex scenes. A little religion I can handle (references to church/prayer/God) but do not like to be preached at in my fiction; I have the Bible for my religious reading.

This book had just the right amount, IMO. I'm not quite sure who the "Big Sister" in the sky is, but that is a minor gripe. Seemed almost like the religious aspect of this book was put in as an after-thought.

The characters all had good morals, were entertaining just for who they were. The story was good, although I do have to agree with others about the ridiculousness of the Cletus/Riley situation. Also, the ending was completely lacking and wrapped up too easily. It's almost like the author was in a hurry with the ending. The rest of the book had a lot of thought put into it, and the ending was just "splat"--fell completely flat in comparison.

All in all, a good read. Not sure if I will spring for the sequels, but if they are ever free I will snatch them up!

5.0 out of 5 stars Bring On The Blessings, April 9, 2012
I LOVED THIS BOOK,I was well entertained while reading book i was laughing so hard at certain charaters in this book OG Malachi still trying to be young,Amari with his wisecrack ways,Riley and Cletus never seen it coming. Bernadine had a very BIG HEART. Tamar was fiesty as ever. Trent & Lily was cut from the same cloth. Crystal was just trying to connect and feel whole again. With it being said a Dixson Wildhorse decedent in here made me smile so BIG..I LOVE YOUR WORK!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book I've read in quite awhile, April 7, 2012
When I search for a book to read, it must be about today's women and must have humor, suspense, romance, mystery, etc. This book delivered. When reading the short synopsis and the reviews, I thought this sounds like a great book. The storyline is wonderful and the best part is I got to learn some things about Black History. So thank you Beverly Jenkins!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for Me, March 2, 2012
This review is from: Bring on the Blessings (Paperback)
Interesting story line. The author does a great job and giving vivid details. I love the history woven throughout. I did think that there were too many characters to try to keep up with. I thought that since the main character is apparently a Christian that there would be no language and that sin wouldn't be given a place of fascination. I had to stop reading the book because sinful relationships weren't just mentioned but were indulged in. What I mean is not that she gives details in sex, but in the conversations around illicit relationships which are frequent and apparently not regarded as sin. If you are a believer attempting to live a life set apart (of holiness) for Christ, then I don't recommend this book. It may make mention of a prayer to God and going to church, otherwise Christ seems to be missing from the pages and we just see a lot of the sinful human nature. Perhaps if I could have waded through the junk to get to the end I would have found otherwise, but I had to put the book down to keep a clean conscience!

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW!! BLESSINGS...., March 16, 2009
Great Book!!

This story takes you on the journey the revolves around a woman that is grateful for her blessings, named the end a marriage that stifled her blooming in the area of helping children and the windfall that resulted. Bernadine E. Brown started another book of life determined to bring dreams she dispensed with during her marriage by sharing her blessings with them with others, named five children whom needed homes, family, direction and love.

She does this while saving a financially starved African American founded town by purchasing it off Ebay then rebuilding it with input for its occupants whose ancestors were the founders. This story will have you emotionally tangled with its characters but always wanting more......I am waiting with baited breath!!

GREAT JOB MRS. JENKINS!!

Bring on the Blessings
Bring on the Blessings by Beverly Jenkins (Paperback - January 27, 2009)
$13.99 $12.31