Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Bring 'Em Back Alive: A Healing Plan for those Wounded by the Church
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Adele Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

Format: Paperback|Change

on February 2, 2005
I was wounded by my church and I was devaststed. After reading Mr. Burchetts book, Bring em Back Alive, I realized that this book is a must read for all. I bought a few more copies and sent them out to others who were also hurt by their church. Mr.Burchett thank you! Your book had the answers that I needed answered in my mind and it was based on the scriptures. If any one reading this has questions about what may be going on in their church or with another, from the church this is THE BOOK TO READ.
on November 30, 2004
The author presents the "model of the Good Shepherd (Jesus) to show how health can be restored to the wounded and how the church can be restored to wholeness." Though most of us are not "paid" shepherds, we all have been charged with rescue, restoration, and responsibility. Both church leaders and attendees have the responsibility to look out for the other through the pastures of life. In a realistic six-step plan, individuals and flocks can mobilize a search-and-rescue team to restore the lost sheep as well as prevent others from wandering. Our churches, our hearts, and our priorities can be transformed if we echo the author's prayer, "Although I am not a pastor, I pray that God will give me a shepherd's heart. I pray that He will teach me to care about every lamb He has placed in my little flock of influence." In a clear style, sprinkled with humor, each chapter in Burchett's book includes questions for reflection and discussion for use in committees, support groups, or one-on-one discipleship. Dave Burchett's first book, When Bad Christians Happen to Good People, had a dramatic effect on churches across America and is the foundation for his new book. The first book exposed the reader's priorities, preferences, methods, and attitudes, leaving in it's wake two simple, foundational questions: Who is Jesus Christ, and what should your life look like as a result of that relationship? Bring `Em Back Alive is the answer.
on May 7, 2007
This is a great quick read with a punch of wit and healing all combined! My friend (who was also wounded) read this book and said it was just the book for her(she does not read a lot). She could not put it down. It gave her the understanding and strength to go on it her healing process to let Christ take care of the situation. It helped her to know that others out there have been wounded. THis book has a wonderful idea for seeking lost lambs!!!!
on October 9, 2008
As I read Bring `Em Back Alive I felt vindicated. In my own book, Not My Making, I document how church members turned me out when I was hurting. I was threatened by the minister with expulsion if I continued to talk about my pain. She didn't want others to learn about her own misconduct. When I finally left my fellow Christians celebrated and never sought me out. They made it clear to me I was expendable. But Dave Burchett in Bring `Em Back Alive makes it clear no one is expendable. Using the parable of the Lost Sheep he explains Christians are expected to seek out the lost and bring them safely home. I encourage all Christians to read this book. My only disappointment in this book was the chapter on "letting go of victimhood". As a psychologist I have worked with many survivors of abuse, I know no one wants to be a victim. As Barbara Coloroso explains in her book The Bully, the Bullied, and the Bystander: From Preschool to High School--How Parents and Teachers Can Help Break the Cycle of Violence, victims are despised while bullies are admired. No one is holding onto "victimhood." When others complain that someone else won't let go of being a victim what they are really saying is that listening to another person pain makes them uncomfortable. To heal victims need to tell their story. The rest of us have a moral obligation to listen. By bearing witness we enable the injured person to move from victim to survivor to thriver.
VINE VOICEon January 11, 2007
this is a highly recommended book for wounded soul in the church.

This and his first one aught to be required reading in the church.
on October 10, 2014
During an age where so many have been wounded by the church, I found this to be a step in the right direction in making churches more transparent. Too often the word, "church hopper" is applied to individuals who challenge being harmed by the church and leave. At least Burchett recognizes that there are two sides and the need for problem solving in the church.
on January 7, 2013
This book is well written and deals with a very sad but very real issue in churches today.

Attitudes will mostly trickle down from who ever is in "charge". That means all you who are shepherding or assisting in the shepherding of the flock-including Sunday School teachers and the like.

We need to get serious about the mission. We need to let the prodigals come home and not just through the back door.
on September 10, 2008
"Bring 'Em Back Alive" by David Burchett is the best book I've found to date on helping folks who've been hurt in the Church heal. He talks to both pastors & parishoners about how we hurt each other and how we can change that & his counsel is actually practical! Mr. Burchett had to go down the hard road of learning how to forgive & heal because of the wounds he received in the Church.
on November 20, 2013
This book addresses the fact that Pastors are human and make mistakes. It addresses the need for all church members to take responsibility for the church flock Good practical advice. Very motivating to do the right thing
on October 14, 2011
This was a much needed book for one deeply wounded by my church family. If people in your church or other Christians have mistreated you or acted in ways that left you wondering if they even knew Christ as their Savior or what Christianity is all about than this is a book for you. Mr. Burchett not only deals with those who have gotten hurt, but with those doing the hurting. Every Christian would benefit from reading this book.

I would recommend you read with a spirit to heal and become more like Christ and not with a spirit to condemn others. We are all flesh and act in the flesh more than we do in the spirit. If each of us focused on our relationship with God and being right with Him we would have a church united and functioning as God intended. This is brought out in this book. It begins with you.

This is a wonderful book and I highly recommend you read.