Professional restaurant supplies Spring Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it The Jayhawks Fire TV Stick Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback May4th

Format: Audio CD|Change

on March 27, 2012
Five INTENSE Stars! Joan Osborne serves up passionate personalized performances, co-produced with the multi-talented guitarist/producer Jack Petruzelli! Covering songs from the likes of Muddy Waters, Bill Withers, Al Green, Otis Redding, Ray Charles, Ike Turner, and John Mayall, the powerhouse singer/songwriter returns with a wonderful set of blues, soul, and R&B masterworks, delivered with her personal flair. With her road band that includes keyboardist Keith Cotton, guitarist Andrew Carrillo, drummer Aaron Comess, and Richard Hammond on bass, she is joined by Jack Petruzelli on guitar, renowned pianist/composer Allen Toussaint on piano, "Barbecue" Bob Pomeroy on harmonica, and a blazing horn section, as the intensity meter is pegged most of this recording session. And Ms Osborne gives us a pleasing flow from song to song. All performances are uniformly excellent and the 'best of the best' begins with a fiery rendition of the Ashford/Simpson classic "I Don't Need No Doctor". She speeds up the tempo a tad as she reinvigorates John Mayall's "Broken Wings". "I Want To Be Loved" has a heartbroken Joan riding the beat, the harmonica, and the chorus, in a truly infectious performance. The bluesy "The Same Love That Made Me Laugh", with an hilarious, accusing background chorus that had me humming along, has Joan delivering the lowdown message. Allen Toussaint contributes both his Betty Wright hit "Shoo-rah! Shoo-rah!" and a 'down-home' piano solo to a hot Osborne treatment that is spiced up with punchy horn accents. And perhaps best of all, a smoking "Shake Your Hips" is authentic-sounding with the harmonica and driving 'rim-shot' drum beats pushing a very intense, soulful Osborne performance that is simply marvelous. In all, this is a truly great Joan Osborne performance that is wonderfully recorded, delivered with sincerity and passion, backed by a tight enthusiastic group, and it is Very Highly Recommended. Five HOT Stars!! (This review is based on an mp3 download. 12 Songs; Time: 44:09)
55 comments|28 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 27, 2012
Singer-songwriter Joan Osborne is back with a great collection of blues & soul music in this new CD release titled 'Bring It On Home'. The CD (12 tracks) is a compilation of songs that have inspired her (mainly covers of classics : blues & soul) over the years & she was very happy to record & present these to her fans. The overall sound is an amazing inspirational bluesy sound with great horns (saxophone & harmonica), melody & her soulful vocals. Stand-outs/gems/solid tracks include "Game Of Love", the overlooked Ike Turner classic in which she delivers great melody & vocals, "Broken Wings", a John Mayall classic, a slow-tempo track with an amazing guitar/piano combination, "I Want To Be Loved", a Muddy Waters' classic, has great horns/guitar/piano combination & "Champagne And Wine", Otis Reddings' soul classic. Great tracks include "Bring It On Home", a Sonny Boy Williamson classic & title track for this album, "Roll Like A Big Wheel", from her own repertiore (great harmonica), "Shoorah! Shoorah!", a 'rocky' cover version of this 70s classic, "The Same Love That Made Me Laugh", "Shake Your Hips", "I'm Qualified" & "Rhymes", the up-tempo track, a classic from Al Green. Okay track is the gospely jazz track "I Don't Need No Doctor", a classic by Ray Charles.

On overall, Joan Osborne has grown in stature musically since the days of her mega-hit "One Of Us" in 80s, presents a great blues & soul compilation of songs in this new CD 'Bring It On Home' in stereo for extra enjoyment, a highly recommended CD listening.
on April 1, 2012
Joan Osborne's 1995 smash, "One of Us," may be the best thing that ever happened to her commercial fortunes, but her inability to follow-up its chart-topping success is more likely the best thing that ever happened to her artistry. In the wake of the triple-platinum Relish, Osborne receded into touring, social activism, musical study and guest appearances, taking five years to issue a follow-up that couldn't possibly repeat the success of her major label debut. But in failing to sell millions of copies, Righteous Love freed Osborne from the expectations of another lightning strike, and set her on a path led by musical muses. She explored classic and original soul, recorded country and Americana, and even reunited with the team that had produced Relish.

Her first set of soul covers, 2002's How Sweet It Is, featured modern production that was at odds with the material's grit. Her second set, 2007's Breakfast in Bed, is the more direct antecedent to this new album, with funkier arrangements that seem to have been inspired by her terrific appearance in Standing in the Shadows of Motown. For her latest set of covers, Osborne's picked songs in which she hears the blues, going beyond the standard I-IV-V to find songs that connect to the emotion. It's a diverse set, ranging from blues standards popularized by Sonny Boy Williamson, John Mayall, Muddy Waters and Slim Harpo to soul sides from Ray Charles, Ike & Tina, Betty Wright, Bill Withers, Otis Redding and Al Green.

The album breaks from the gate in full stride with a propulsive version of Ashford and Simpson's "I Don't Need No Doctor" that heats up Ray Charles' 1966 original. Drummer Aaron Comess and bassist Richard Hammond lay down a wickedly funky bottom end punctuated by Chris Karlic's baritone sax, and the Holmes Brothers' backing vocals push Osborne to great heights of protest. Osborne's equally effective singing low and seductive, taking the band with her on Muddy Waters' "I Want to Be Loved." The song list features some deep singles, including Olive Brown's R&B "Roll Like a Big Wheel," and album tracks such as John Mayall's solo "Broken Wings."

Some of the better known tunes accrue layers from multiple earlier covers, such as how Willie Dixon's "Bring it on Home" picks up notes from both Sonny Boy Williamson's original and Led Zeppelin's more lascivious cover, and James Moore's "Shake Your Hips" picks up from Slim Harpo's original and the Rolling Stones' well-known remake. Others are sung in straightforward tribute to the originals, such as Betty Wright's "Shoorah! Shoorah!" (with songwriter Allen Toussaint pitching in on piano), and at least one, "I'm Qualified," keys entirely off a soul cover (by Clarence Carter) rather than the R&B original (by Jimmy Hughes).

Osborne's shown herself to be a terrific interpreter of classic blues and soul material, but it's something she's shown before. Perhaps that's enough - there are few singers with a musical sensibility as good as hers, or a voice that's gained as much character with age. Still, given her proven ability to write, as well as her (and her production team's) great ears for songs, one has to ask whether she should be defining material, as well as redefining it. In the end, though, these songs are sturdy enough to merit multiple interpretations, and Osborne's covers are like colorful patina layered on classic pieces of art. [©2012 Hyperbolium]
VINE VOICEon May 4, 2012
I don't know why exactly I have stuck with Joan Osborne for the past 17 years. I mean, I'm not really someone who enjoys blues. "One Of Us" was played to death, and although it was written by Eric Bazilian (of The Hooters, one of my favorite bands), it is not one of my favorite Joan Osborne songs. In fact, I liked "St. Teresa" much better. And then she did not return for five years. Since that time she has done several albums--one all covers and the rest containing a blend of covers and Osborne originals.

All of this would have made me bail a long time ago. Except, there is something about Joan's ability to interpret other people's music. There have been many songs over the years that she covered that were very well done. I certainly liked "Cathedrals" and "Love Is Alive". I can now add "Shoorah! Shoorah!", "Shake Your Hips", "I Don't Need No Doctor", "Same Love That Made Me Laugh" and "I'm Qualified".

I was surprised, really, by how good "Bring It On Home" is as a whole. Osborne and company did a very good job of selecting songs that have not be over-covered, and they did a good job of ordering the song list so that the album avoids being uneven.

As I said before, I am not really into the blues, and Joan likes blues and rhythm & blues from the era of 1965-1975. That's when the majority of these songs were made famous (or not!) Let's just look at who she covered for a moment:

"I Don't Need No Doctor" [made famous by Ray Charles in 1966] (written by Ashford & Simpson + Joe Armstead)
"Bring It On Home" [made famous by Sonny Boy Williamson II in 1963] (written by Willie Dixon)
"Roll Like A Big Wheel" (this is so obscure I could not track down the release date, but it is written and performed by Olive Brown)
"Game Of Love" [made famous by Ike & Tina Turner in 1971] (written by Ike Turner)
"Broken Wings" [made famous by John Mayall & The Bluebreakers in 1967] (written by John Mayall)
"Shoorah! Shoorah!" [made famous by Betty Wright in 1975] (written by Allen Toussaint)

"I Want To Be Loved" [made famous by Muddy Waters in 1955] (written by Willie Dixon)
"Same Love That Made Me Laugh" (written and performed by Bill Withers in 1974)
"Shake Your Hips" (written and performed by Slim Harpo in 1966)
"I'm Qualified" (written and performed by Clarence Carter in 1968)
"Champagne And Wine" (written and performed by Otis Redding in 1968)
"Rhymes" (written and performed by Al Green in 1975)

I think I have some of these songs in my music collection by the original artists but I don't listen to them very often. So, kudos to Joan for finding underplayed songs (as far as my musical listening goes!)

This album easily surpasses her last album of complete cover songs, 2002's "How Sweet It Is" and comes in about the same as 2006's "Pretty Little Stranger" and 2007's "Breakfast In Bed". At age 50 this year, I'm finding that Joan just keeps getting better. She has definitely proven that she is much more than "Relish" and "One Of Us". What I have read, or known, about Joan is that she does not want the spotlight. She just wants to make music true to herself. I will say that although I like her cover albums, I truly enjoy her original work and wish she was more productive in that respect.

Here is how "Bring It On Home" compares to her previous works:

2007 Breakfast In Bed: Three and a Half Stars
2008 Little Wild One: Four Stars
2012 Bring It On Home: Three and a Half Stars
on April 1, 2012
Its getting harder and harder to find great sounds on the radio, especially here in the deep south. I heard this artist on TV a few weeks ago and loved what I heard, I ordered the CD and have played it over and over again. The soulful sounds and the make you want to get up and dance Hip Shake Boogie was great. I will be buying more of her CD's, Joan is a blend of Janis J and Etta James.
Joan Osborne has turned into one of my very favorite singers. Since I started doing my own personal top ten rotation every week, she's had 12 songs there with "Love Is Alive," "What You Are," "After Jane," "I Know What's Goin' On" & "Sweeter Than the Rest" zooming up to #1. So if it sounds like I may be a bit obsessed with music, I do love it. And I'm so thrilled that Joan's new CD knocks it through the roof. Of the 12 wonderful tracks here, four are my instant favorites. The Ashford & Simpson opener "I Don't Need No Doctor" blasts out of the speakers with Aaron Comess' drums mixed high & loud and Joan's vocals urgent, "All I need is my baby." John Mayall's "Broken Wings" is a slow bluesy lament where Joan gets into the groove and milks the emotion out of the lyric, "And the price you'll have to pay, you'll be paying in years of your life." Such sweet pain! Allen Toussaint's "Shoorah! Shoorah!" instantly captured my attention with its insistent beat and Joan's vocals full of romantic flirtation, "I can see you moving, moving all around me; I know you're trying to get me upset, I can feel you grooving, thinking you done found me; I'm here to tell you, you ain't got me yet." Bill Withers' "Same Love That Made Me Laugh" has a classic smoldering blues groove that continually erupts into raw emotion, "Your love is like a chunk of gold, hard to get & hard to hold." I appreciate the liner notes that show what care and research Joan has put into the song selections. The payoff is a vibrant soulful mix of updated tracks with stellar musicianship and Joan's powerful vocal performance. Bravo!
on May 26, 2014
I have liked Joan Osborne ever since I bought her Relish album. It had everything;rock,pop,blues and jazz. It was a fabulous album that she has never duplicated. I have listened to a few other of her albums through the years and have always been disappointed with the syrupy ballads and attempts at country music, etc. I was going to listen to her new album, Love and Hate, when I saw this one advertised. She does fantastic covers of old blues and soul songs and the result is much like Relish, a real pleasure to hear. My favorite song is Shake Your Hips. I like this album more and more every time I listen to it. Give your ears a treat and check it out.
on December 24, 2012
Just a quick take: The only Joan Osborne I was familiar with prior to this purchase was her 'Relish' album, which I liked very much. Very solid album. This album of blues covers, though, is ridiculously good. Her take on 'I Don't Need No Doctor' is outstanding. She makes 'Bring It on Home' her own. 'Shake Your Hips' and 'I'm Qualified' are other standouts.

Joan's voice is perfect for this music and the musicianship is impeccable.
on January 4, 2013
After years of tuning out anything Joan Osborne did because of "One of Us" being overplayed to death, I decided to take a chance after seeing her on a recent live show on television. This CD does not disappoint. This is pure, unadulterated blues-rock and soul at its best, and JO delivers it beautifully. When an artist puts out an album with only one song on it that I don't like, that's a home run to me.
on April 2, 2012
Joan osbourne, is super talented. I just got to see her live at the egg in albany last night. I got to meet and greet her and she signed my cd. She is so super talented, she has a amazing voice, I love shake your hips, this whole cd is even better than her older stuff. I love spiderwebs and st teresa though dont get me wrong there awsome too. She keeps getting hotter and better .She has the one of the sexiest voices in blues.