5.0 out of 5 stars How can a book be not a book?
There is no end to the making of books; Amazon exists for that, and it's great to learn how to, say, repair a window.

But in the "wisdom" category, 99% of books merely engage the old chattering mind, and you just end up with new noise. Nothin' wrong with that, but somehow, Tarrant does something different when he writes, and I come away smiling deep, breathing...
Published on November 15, 2008 by Ray Watkins

3.0 out of 5 stars Koans, Realization, Enlightenment and Happiness
Koans are gateways for a Zen practitioner to realize Buddha nature. John Tarrant's book is a pleasant introduction to some of the "Greatest Hits" of Koans, adding one new one of Australian aboriginal origin. (Tarrant is a Tasmanian.)

The form of realization that Tarrant focuses on is the one-ness of all things. Over and over he describes the experience of...
Published on November 3, 2012 by Len Moskowitz

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Small Gem!, April 29, 2005
JSB (Roaring Fork Valley, Colorado) - See all my reviews
Put simply, this is one of the best books on spiritual practice - and on living a good life - that I have ever read. If you're the least bit interested in such matters, you'll enjoy the rhinoceros. I had never felt much interest in koans before, but John Tarrant enabled me to see them in a new light. His is the warm, humorous, and deeply wise side of zen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Zen Koans Explained by John Tarrant, February 17, 2014
This is a delightful little book for a whole lot of reasons.

I love John Tarrant's writing, his style and his ease both with himself and with his topics. I love the idea of Zen koans and the reality of them. And I love being able to pick this book up, every night, and read and learn about myself, my life and my world and in such a pleasant and gentle way.

This book makes you laugh out loud, surprises you with insights laced with a dash of humor and brings sighs of genuine contentment as you read it. Bring Me The Rhinoceros will stay by my bedside table to read again and again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun with Koans, August 6, 2011
This review is from: Bring Me the Rhinoceros: And Other Zen Koans That Will Save Your Life (Paperback)
Wow. I got this book at my local public library (since it was one of the few buddhist books not by HHDL). Incredible. It's the first book on koans that I've ever really enjoyed reading. And it still gets its point across. Who knew? Too bad it's out of print.

5.0 out of 5 stars outstanding, May 25, 2011
Generally koan study to me has been one area I had lost interest in ibut thanks to this excellent book the practice is made tangible and more relevant to someone not just into that discipline and I see how it can be useful in a more general sense.

I was very impressed with the presentation.

5.0 out of 5 stars bring me the rhinoceros, October 14, 2005
i love this book. it has crawled into my heart. tender, loving stories of real life and finding peace in the very midst of all life is. john tarrant writes with grace and beauty and humor. thank you!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly Reccomended reading for seekers, November 10, 2004
David Chadwick (Northern California) - See all my reviews
How comfortable I find myself in these pages. John Tarrant brings us intriguing stories and a Rhino, a thick-skinned beast that we can ride into the darkness of the unknown, into the mystery of who we are, why we suffer, and how joy can found on a path that goes beyond what can be conceptually understood. An excellent gift book too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Challenging book about a challenging topic!, May 19, 2014
Dennis E. Donham (Wexford, PA United States) - See all my reviews
Zen koans are difficult to grasp in many cases, and this book tries to explain the purpose behind them, which is not an easy task. Still, the author does move most readers forward in their comprehension. This is a book that needs to be read in several sessions.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book!, February 21, 2014
I am new to Koans, and found this to be a wonderful introduction - easy to understand yet challenging enough to keep me interested and now, wanting to know more. John Tarrant is an excellent teacher and writer. I strongly recommend this book to any student of Zen Koans and life in general. This is a guide to come back to often.

5.0 out of 5 stars exquisite, August 12, 2013
Avi Stachenfeld (Berkeley, California USA) - See all my reviews
john tarrant is a remarkable person, speaker and writer...listen to him closely and then return and listen again...it's worth it

5.0 out of 5 stars Bring Me the Rhinocerps, September 27, 2012
John Tarrant is a superb writer and poet. I've read this book at least 4 times and always find something new and delightful. l have also sent this book to 3 other people, and they loved it, too. It contains much ancient wisdom.

Bring Me the Rhinoceros: And Other Zen Koans That Will Save Your Life
Bring Me the Rhinoceros: And Other Zen Koans That Will Save Your Life by John Tarrant (Paperback - November 11, 2008)
$15.95 $11.90